Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Old 12-31-23, 07:41 PM
  #5176  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,125
Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by DJariya
Paula Abdul is suing So you think you can dance producer and judge and former American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe for sexual assault.
She is suing Lythgoe, 19 Entertainment Inc., FremantleMedia North America Inc., American Idol Productions Inc. and Dance Nation Productions Inc.

She claims there were 2 incidents. One in the early years of Idol, while doing the auditions on the road. She says he basically shoved her against the wall and groped her in an elevator. She "chose not to take action for fear that Lythgoe would have her fired from American Idol.”

The 2nd assault allegedly occurred in 2015 during her tenure on SYTYCD. She went to a supposed professional dinner at his house. He forced himself on top of her while she was on a couch and tried to kiss her.
Old 01-01-24, 08:36 PM
  #5177  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by TheBang
She is suing Lythgoe, 19 Entertainment Inc., FremantleMedia North America Inc., American Idol Productions Inc. and Dance Nation Productions Inc.

She claims there were 2 incidents. One in the early years of Idol, while doing the auditions on the road. She says he basically shoved her against the wall and groped her in an elevator. She "chose not to take action for fear that Lythgoe would have her fired from American Idol.”

The 2nd assault allegedly occurred in 2015 during her tenure on SYTYCD. She went to a supposed professional dinner at his house. He forced himself on top of her while she was on a couch and tried to kiss her.
I'm assuming that her lawsuit is her asking for money, but I question what the money would be in compensation for. Her career and earnings were not negatively impacted by the incidents. It seems tough to say that she suffered any kind of severe emotional distress, considering her continued association and employment with Lythgoe.
Old 01-01-24, 08:53 PM
  #5178  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,396
Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I'm assuming that her lawsuit is her asking for money, but I question what the money would be in compensation for. Her career and earnings were not negatively impacted by the incidents. It seems tough to say that she suffered any kind of severe emotional distress, considering her continued association and employment with Lythgoe.
She stopped working with Lythgoe in 2016 after the second alleged incident.
Old 01-01-24, 09:46 PM
  #5179  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Draven
She stopped working with Lythgoe in 2016 after the second alleged incident.
Sequences in time do not equal cause and effect.

She became a judge on SYTYCD (US) in 2015, the same year the assault occurred. She was a judge again for the 2016 season. In 2017, she announced that she would not continue as a judge because she was returning to work as a live performer, which she did. In 2017, she toured the USA with Boyz II Men.

So the second incident did not cause her to loose her job. It is not even the impetus for her leaving the job.
Old 01-02-24, 07:31 PM
  #5180  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,957
Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/nig...73e828aa12daf1

Lythgoe facing another allegation from an alleged incident in 2003.

I don't know FOX has some tough decisions to make. I heard they have already started filming the next season of SYTYCD and he's returning as a judge after some time off.
Old 01-03-24, 09:15 AM
  #5181  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,212
Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/nig...73e828aa12daf1

Lythgoe facing another allegation from an alleged incident in 2003.

I don't know FOX has some tough decisions to make. I heard they have already started filming the next season of SYTYCD and he's returning as a judge after some time off.
Isn't this the second year in a row SYTYCD has some controversy right as it's starting up? Or was that Matthew Morrison stuff two years ago?
Old 01-05-24, 05:06 PM
  #5182  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,957
Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Lythgoe resigned from SYTYCD. He said he doesn’t want to be a distraction to the contestants.

Old 01-05-24, 05:08 PM
  #5183  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,857
Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

However, he will be a judge on the new TV program "So You Think You Can Grab That Ass?".
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Count Dooku (01-05-24), cultshock (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 07:01 PM
  #5184  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,376
Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

This is the same Paula Abdul that slept with one of the contestants?
Old 01-05-24, 07:29 PM
  #5185  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,798
Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is the same Paula Abdul that slept with one of the contestants?
Not relevant.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 08:30 PM
  #5186  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Toby Dramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: The Vic & Comet
Posts: 1,267
Received 320 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is the same Paula Abdul that slept with one of the contestants?
Against that contestant's will ...?
Old 01-05-24, 09:23 PM
  #5187  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is the same Paula Abdul that slept with one of the contestants?
Dude! She has established her status as a victim. Nothing negative is ever allowed to be said about her again. What year do you think it is? 2016?
Old 01-06-24, 03:41 AM
  #5188  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,798
Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Dude! She has established her status as a victim. Nothing negative is ever allowed to be said about her again. What year do you think it is? 2016?
You can say plenty of negative stuff, but even if she beat a nun to death on a pile of puppies, it would not be relevant to the alleged harassment. Implying that consensual sex with another adult is something negative, says a lot about you, though.
The following 4 users liked this post by Runaway:
Brian T (01-06-24), Hazel Motes (01-06-24), phryzbe (01-06-24), Toby Dramit (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 09:35 AM
  #5189  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Runaway
You can say plenty of negative stuff, but even if she beat a nun to death on a pile of puppies, it would not be relevant to the alleged harassment.
Since the harassment is alleged, as you say, and he denies it happened, it is entirely a matter of who you believe, and so any details about the character of each person are completely relevant. And I'm pretty certain that if this case goes to trial, and the defense can show that Abdul beat a nun to death, that would cast reasonable doubt on her believability as a claimant. I'm also pretty ceratin that if any negative stuff about the accused came out, no one would blink about it getting posted in this forum. However, I see no reason not to believe her.

But my comment was about the general tenor of discussions of these subjects, in which the current policy is "Hands Off the Victims." At least that has been observation and my experience on these forums.

Implying that consensual sex with another adult is something negative, says a lot about you, though.
Not sure how you think I implied that since I never said anything about Adbul having sex with anyone, and Abdul says it never happened anyways.
Old 01-06-24, 09:58 AM
  #5190  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,798
Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Not sure how you think I implied that since I never said anything about Adbul having sex with anyone, and Abdul says it never happened anyways.
Let me remind you, that you cautioned Perry not to say anything negative, after he asked the question if Abdul had sex with a contestant. Perhaps not your intention, but are you really not sure how I got the notion, you implied that?
Old 01-06-24, 10:29 AM
  #5191  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Runaway
Let me remind you, that you cautioned Perry not to say anything negative, after he asked the question if Abdul had sex with a contestant. Perhaps not your intention, but are you really not sure how I got the notion, you implied that?
Consensual sex between adults CAN BE wrong. At least that's what the HR dept tells me.
I'm certain that FOX and American Idol would view the judges having sex (consensual or not) with the contestants as the violation of some kind of workplace policy, don't you think? But like I said, Abdul denies that this ever happened, which makes the issue moot, imo.

But Yes, I did correctly characterize Perry's post as him implying something negative about Abdul based on that past accusation against her. My ability to comprehend the meaning of other people's posts and react to that meaning does not equate to my agreeing with what was said.

Old 01-06-24, 11:59 AM
  #5192  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Runaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,798
Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Consensual sex between adults CAN BE wrong. At least that's what the HR dept tells me.
I'm certain that FOX and American Idol would view the judges having sex (consensual or not) with the contestants as the violation of some kind of workplace policy, don't you think? But like I said, Abdul denies that this ever happened, which makes the issue moot, imo.

But Yes, I did correctly characterize Perry's post as him implying something negative about Abdul based on that past accusation against her. My ability to comprehend the meaning of other people's posts and react to that meaning does not equate to my agreeing with what was said.
Then you should also be able to comprehend how one could think you implied something negative, since you were the first to use the term in the discussion about Abdul.

To your other point: Regarding a workplace relationship, they can be wrong regarding compliance, but aren't wrong legally and in my opinion not wrong morally (having met my wife at work, while she was a temp)
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 01:08 PM
  #5193  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Runaway
Then you should also be able to comprehend how one could think you implied something negative, since you were the first to use the term in the discussion about Abdul.
I didn't imply something negative about Abdul, since I did not say anything about Abdul. I understood that Perry was implying something negative about Abdul, and reacted to that. Wouldn't matter except that you decided to include a personal attack in your response.

To your other point: Regarding a workplace relationship, they can be wrong regarding compliance, but aren't wrong legally and in my opinion not wrong morally (having met my wife at work, while she was a temp)
When the accusation was made against Abdul, FOX launched an investigation into the matter. That means what she was accused of doing was wrong. They don't investigate when someone is accused of doing something that is okay. If a judge or host on a reality competition show has a sexual relationship with a contestant, they are going to be fired, because they did something wrong. Violating the terms of your employment contract may not be morally wrong (although that is debatable because when you sign a contract, living up to it is a moral obligation in some people's eyes) but it is wrong.

You posted this: Implying that consensual sex with another adult is something negative, says a lot about you, though.
I think there are MANY, MANY, MANY instances when two adults engaging in a consensual sexual relationship is something negative. Like for instance, people cheating on their spouses. If your wife cheats on you in a consensual sexual relationship with another adult, wouldn't you consider that something negative?

The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (01-06-24)
Old 03-25-24, 05:01 PM
  #5194  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,708
Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Feds raid Sean Combs properties in LA, Miami on search warrants out of New York: NBC News
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/25/...-new-york.html

  • Federal agents raided properties owned by hip-hop music mogul Sean Combs in Los Angeles and Miami, NBC News reported.
  • The agents were authorized to search the properties by warrants issued in Manhattan federal court.
  • Three women and one man have been interviewed in New York by authorities in connection to a probe involving possible sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms related to Combs, who is also known as "Diddy."
  • The raids come a month after music producer Rodney "Li Rod' Jones sued Combs, claiming he was sexually harassed, drugged and threatened.
Old 03-25-24, 06:22 PM
  #5195  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 23,218
Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Brian T
Feds raid Sean Combs properties in LA, Miami on search warrants out of New York: NBC News
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/25/...-new-york.html

Uh-oh, looks like Diddy did a "don't".
Old 03-25-24, 08:38 PM
  #5196  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,435
Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Rebel Wilson is going after Sasha Baron Cohen

If these allegations are true maybe he did some shady behinds the scenes stuff when it came to making and filming Borat and Bruno.

Rebel Wilson claims Sacha Baron Cohen is trying to make her keep his name out of her book as an "a**hole" in showbiz -- and she suggests he's trying to muzzle her.
The actress teased that one of the chapters in her forthcoming memoir, 'Rebel Rising,' will name a douchebag in Hollywood that she says she had a bad experience with -- teasing the prospect of identifying this alleged jerk nearly 2 weeks ago ahead of her book's release.
During an interview with the “Kyle & Jackie O” radio show, Wilson stated that the actor was “outrageous” after working together on “The Brothers Grimsby.”

“Every single day he’s like, ‘Rebel, can you just go naked in this scene?’ And I’m like, ‘No!’” she claimed in the interview.

Wilson allegedly threatened the “Les Misérables” star by calling their mutual agent.

“Sacha and I have the same agent in America, and I’m like, ‘Sacha, I’m going to call our agent Sharon and tell her how much you are harassing me,'” she recalled per Vanity Fair, claiming that Cohen continued to pester her to do the scene.

“Every day he’s like, ‘Just go naked, it will be funny. Remember in ‘Borat’ when I did that naked scene? It was hilarious,'” Wilson continued. “On the last day I thought I’d obviously won the argument and he got a body double to do the naked scene.”
However, it appeared Wilson’s troubles were far from over.

“Then in the last scene … he was like, ‘Rebel, can you just stick your finger up my butt?’ And I went, ‘What do you mean Sacha? That’s not in the script.’ And he’s like, ‘Look, I’ll just pull down my pants, you just stick your finger up my butt, it’ll be a really funny bit.'”

The pair reached a compromise, with Wilson slapping him on the butt.
https://nypost.com/2024/03/25/entert...-memoir-drama/



Old 03-25-24, 08:39 PM
  #5197  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,435
Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Maybe this is payback for all the shitty music P Diddy made and stole during the 90's.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 09:47 PM
  #5198  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,094
Received 1,098 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Rebel Wilson is going after Sasha Baron Cohen

If these allegations are true maybe he did some shady behinds the scenes stuff when it came to making and filming Borat and Bruno.
Any chance she is just upset because he insisted that her appearing in the film naked would be hilarious.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 10:29 PM
  #5199  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,576
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Rebel Wilson is going after Sasha Baron Cohen

If these allegations are true maybe he did some shady behinds the scenes stuff when it came to making and filming Borat and Bruno.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/25/entert...-memoir-drama/


I guess it's OK for Rebel to do this?

(2:00 for Anne Hathaway)
(2:38 for Tom Hardy)
Old 03-25-24, 10:56 PM
  #5200  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,435
Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Maybe she put it out there just to sell the book

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.