Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The police pursued it. They were the ones who wired her. It was the D.A., Cyrus Vance, who refused to prosecute. The detectives handling that case were furious.
And just this week he was quoted as saying Weinstein has finally been brought to justice.
Old 02-27-20, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
And just this week he was quoted as saying Weinstein has finally been brought to justice.
Vance's history in such cases is recalled in this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/n...n-verdict.html

One detractor called the district attorney “irreparably tarnished.” But the prosecutor’s high-profile victory might give him a political lift.
Old 02-27-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The police pursued it. They were the ones who wired her. It was the D.A., Cyrus Vance, who refused to prosecute. The detectives handling that case were furious.
Vance's history in such cases is recalled in this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/n...n-verdict.html
Thanks for clarifying that.

Mr. Vance had decided not to prosecute even though the model, Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, had recorded Mr. Weinstein the next day apologizing for touching her. One reason, prosecutors said, was a worry that Ms. Battilana Gutierrez would not be believed because she had given contradictory accounts to authorities in a sexual assault case in Italy.

But there was audio evidence of Weinstein admitting to it. What would it matter what happened in Italy in a totally different case? If this didn't involve someone rich and powerful like Weinstein would the DA still have dropped it for those reasons? I can imagine if it was her word against his, but he himself is admitting to the crime.
Old 02-28-20, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Cyrus Vance was bought off under the table.
Old 02-28-20, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Cyrus Vance was bought off under the table.
Yeah, Weinstein's people made campaign contributions to Vance.
Old 02-28-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, Weinstein's people made campaign contributions to Vance.
So at the very end of the article they mention that the lawyers of some of these defendants of high profile cases made campaign donations to Vance.

Which defendants? How much? Was Weinstein’s lawyer one of them?

It seems like this part is just glossed over, almost on purpose.
Old 03-01-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Is Weinstein finally in prison now, or is he still convalescing in hospital?
Old 03-01-20, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Still not in prison as of 2 days ago:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...pitalized-jail
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (03-01-20)
Old 03-02-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Timothy Hutton Accused of Raping 14-Year-Old Girl in the 1980s
3:17 PM PST 3/2/2020 by Katie Kilkenny

The 'Ordinary People' Oscar winner “completely and unequivocally denies” the claims, per his representatives.

A Canadian ex-model and child actor has come out with allegations that Almost Family star Timothy Hutton raped her when she was 14 years old while his friend watched and later also raped her.

Sera Johnston claimed that the incident occurred after she met the actor in Vancouver in 1983 while out on the town at Granville Island with three friends in middle school. He was shooting the 1984 film Iceman, directed by Fred Schepisi, and he and two friends initiated a conversation with the girls, invited them back to Hutton's hotel to hang out, according to a new report in BuzzFeed News. When they returned to the actor's hotel room, the girls were served drinks and Johnston said he got close to her, brought her to his bedroom and raped her while a friend watched.

Johnston filed a criminal complaint with the Vancouver police in late 2019 about the alleged incident. Johnston said she initially told the men she was 17 years old, then later admitted she was 14 years old. The age of consent in Canada is 16 years old now, but was 14 years old in 1983. There is no statute of limitations for sexual assault, misconduct or battery claims in Canada.

Johnston, who was also a working actor at the time, said that she protested the conduct of Hutton and his friend at the time, saying "don’t think this is a good idea" and "I don’t think my mother would be too happy about this." She said that in response to her expressed wish to leave the hotel room, "To everything I would say, it was, ‘It’ll be OK, it’ll be OK. It won’t last long, and you’ll be fine.’”

After Hutton raped her, Johnston added, so did his friend. She said she begged the pair to stop and cried at the time: “It hurt like hell,” she told BuzzFeed News. “I mean, it was very painful. God. Yeah, it was extremely painful. Horrible, horrible, absolutely horrible.”

In a statement provided to BuzzFeed News about the allegations, representatives for Hutton said Hutton “completely and unequivocally denies” the story. His lawyer told the publication he had never met Johnston and "will not spend one more minute dignifying these allegations as they are patently false and designed only to extort money from him." He added that Johnston "provided salacious, heinous, and graphic details of this made-up sexual encounter that supposedly occurred 36 years ago. Although these were disgusting details any smut fiction writer could conjure up."

Johnston has hired two law firms and three representatives, per BuzzFeed; according to Hutton's lawyers, she hired the lawyers to pursue a financial settlement. Hutton's lawyers also say that in 2019 her ex-boyfriend contacted the friend of Hutton's who allegedly raped her when she was 14 years old to come to strike a deal. “It put me in a very difficult situation,” Johnston told BuzzFeed News of her ex-boyfriend's conduct.

Johnston countered that she was advised by one attorney to reach a settlement considering that she was within the legal age of consent at the time of the alleged incident. She added that Hutton agreed to an initial settlement of $135,000 (less than the $1.5 million her lawyer had suggested) but she later scrapped the deal.

One of the friends who Johnston was with the night she met Hutton corroborated her claims that they went to the actor's hotel room, and said that she heard muffled cries of pain from the room that Hutton went into with the actor, but that she was busy at the time rejecting advances from another of Hutton's friends. The other friend who was allegedly at the hotel room declined to comment. Five friends of the former child actor later told about the alleged incident confirmed that they had heard the story to BuzzFeed News.

On the other hand, an actor named Réal Andrews, who previously said that he had seen Hutton in Hutton's hotel room that day, walked back his claims in a sworn statement sent by his lawyer to BuzzFeed News.

Johnston said she never went to the police at the time because she blamed herself and wanted to move forward. “It was a bad sexual experience, you know? That’s what it was. It was just a really bad first experience, and that’ll never happen again," she told BuzzFeed News.

Johnston added that she finally came forward because she read about a British woman who accused Harvey Weinstein of assault, another case of a foreign national accusing a U.S. citizen, and so hired that woman's attorney, Jeff Herman.

Hutton won an Academy Award in 1981 for a supporting role in Ordinary People. He has recently appeared in Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House, the upcoming film The Glorias, ABC's How to Get Away With Murder and Amazon's Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan.
Old 03-02-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, again someone who always seemed squeaky-clean.
Old 03-03-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Yeah that seems like a hard one to believe, but I would never say it didn't happen.
Old 03-05-20, 02:24 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Is Weinstein finally in prison now, or is he still convalescing in hospital?
He's being moved to Rikers Island.
Norm de Plume (03-05-20)
Old 03-05-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Good news. He has done everything he can to forestall the inevitable.
Old 03-05-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm sure his mangina will be a big hit at Riker's Island.
Old 03-05-20, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
He's being moved to Rikers Island.
He believes it is just a guest role on Law and Order though.
Old 03-06-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Surprised nothing has been said about Harry Knowles "returning" (i.e. his supposed "sister" was running the site while he was away was just a sham, anyone who ever went to the site knew Harry was still running and posting in it) to Aintitcoolnews.com. The website is a piece of shit now but I'll still go to it from time to time to see what's up. It's just surprisng that after all the heat certain other filmmakers/actors/directors got, he seemed to kind of skate by...Also, I think he deleted people in his "Comments" section because after his first blog back, there was an insane amount of people criticizing him but now I barely see anyone...Hmmmmm....
Old 03-06-20, 09:33 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

He was one of the first to get hit.
Old 03-06-20, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Surprised nothing has been said about Harry Knowles "returning" (i.e. his supposed "sister" was running the site while he was away was just a sham, anyone who ever went to the site knew Harry was still running and posting in it) to Aintitcoolnews.com. The website is a piece of shit now but I'll still go to it from time to time to see what's up. It's just surprisng that after all the heat certain other filmmakers/actors/directors got, he seemed to kind of skate by...Also, I think he deleted people in his "Comments" section because after his first blog back, there was an insane amount of people criticizing him but now I barely see anyone...Hmmmmm....
He even got his own thread: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...ers-leave.html
Old 03-06-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Surprised nothing has been said about Harry Knowles "returning" (i.e. his supposed "sister" was running the site while he was away was just a sham, anyone who ever went to the site knew Harry was still running and posting in it) to Aintitcoolnews.com.
I'll wager that it's because most of the people who visited the site regularly abandoned it. For a while it seemed like it was only updated about once a week. All of the good writers jumped off of the sinking ship. And there's nothing there that four dozen other sites don't do better now.
Goonies85 (03-07-20)
Old 03-10-20, 07:17 AM

Corey Feldman named names.

In his new documentary (My) Truth: The Rape of Two Coreys, which debuted on Monday night at a screening in Los Angeles, Feldman listed the men who he says sexually assaulted him and his friend Corey Haim when they were child stars. Among the names, Feldman alleged Haim had said actor Charlie Sheen raped him while making the 1986 film Lucas.

Sheen in the past has categorically denied ever engaging in improper behavior with Haim. EW has reached out to him for comment in response to the documentary's allegations.

"This wasn’t like a one time thing he said in passing. It wasn't like 'Oh, by the way, this happened.' He went into great detail," a crying Feldman said in the documentary about Haim, who died from pneumonia in 2010. "He told me, 'Charlie bent me over in between two trailers and put Crisco oil on my butt and raped me in broad daylight. Anybody could have walked by, anybody could have seen it.'"

Haim was 13 and Sheen was 19 when they worked together on Lucas.

Several other talking heads in the documentary also claimed either Haim directly told them he had been abused by Sheen as a child or they had heard word of it from others years later.

"He shared with me that on the set of Lucas that he was raped as a little boy," Feldman's ex-wife Susannah Sprague, said in the documentary, which was produced by Feldman. "He told me that it was his costar and he told me that it was Charlie Sheen that did it," she alleged.

In the doc, Feldman first named three men he had previously accused of sexual abuse himself: Jon Grissom, an actor who had small roles in License to Drive and Dream a Little Dream costarring Feldman and Haim, nightclub owner Alphy Hoffman, and former talent manager Marty Weiss. He also said Dominick Brascia, a former actor and one-time friend of both Coreys who died in 2018, had sexually abused Haim.

Grissom reportedly previously denied the allegations in a YouTube comment. “I said it’s not me I’m sick and tired of saying that when no one listens. So goddamnit I’m not repeating it anymore," he reportedly wrote, according to Page Six. Hoffman has not publicly addressed the allegations since Feldman first named him on The Dr. Oz Show in 2017 and EW has been unable to reach him for comment.

Weiss has also previously denied the allegation, writing on Twitter last month, "Corey Haim would never grandstand sex abuse for profit nor would he have thrown innocent names around due to personal vendettas. The fact that Feldman uses me to convince ppl that CH was a sex fiend is horrific and exposes both his jealousy of Haim & CF’s friendship with me."

The documentary was billed as a pay-per-view event online beginning at 11p.m. ET for $20 a ticket, but 45 minutes after the hour the stream had still not begun online, with viewers seeing an error message or a black box instead. Later, the site was updated to read "Please be patient. The hackers are trying to prevent the stream from airing. The program will begin momentarily. We appreciate your patience and support!"

However, Feldman was in attendance as the movie was streamed in full to a group of friends and members of the media, including EW, in a theater in Los Angeles. Celebrity guests at the screening included Rosanna Arquette, Dave Navarro, Chris Kattan, Ron Jeremy, and Jamie Kennedy.

Feldman first opened up publicly about what he calls rampant pedophilia in Hollywood during a 2011 interview with ABC, and later in his 2013 memoir Coreyography. In his book, he alluded to who Haim’s alleged abuser was without including his real name.

In Coreyography, Feldman reminisces about the day he met Haim and how the pair bonded instantly over their similarities. Feldman says in the passage, “Haim started to confide in me, about some intensely personal stuff, very quickly after that. Within hours of our first meeting, we found ourselves talking about Lucas, the film he made in the summer of 1985, the role I had wanted for myself. At some point during the filming, he explained, an adult male convinced him that it was perfectly normal for older men and younger boys in the business to have sexual relations and that it was what all the ‘guys do.’"

In 2017, Brascia — who was accused by Feldman of abusing Haim in the documentary — reportedly told the National Enquirer that Haim had confided in him that he and Sheen “smoked pot and had sex.” Sheen denied the allegations and sued the Enquirer for libel.

“Haim told me he had sex with Sheen when they filmed Lucas,” the National Enquirer quoted Brascia as saying. “He told me they smoked pot and had sex. He said they had anal sex. Haim said after it happened Sheen became very cold and rejected him. When Corey wanted to fool around again, Charlie was not interested.”

Brascia claimed the Lucas costars also had sex years later. “Haim told me he had sex with Sheen again,” Brascia told the publication. “He claimed he didn’t like it and was finally over Sheen. He said Charlie was a loser.”

Sheen publicly denied the allegations and then sued the National Enquirer, its then-parent company American Media, Inc., former Enquirer editor Dylan Howard, and Brascia for defamation. He released a statement to TMZ at the time confirming the lawsuit and proclaiming his innocence.

"In my nearly 35 years as a celebrated entertainer, I have been nothing shy of a forthright, noble and valiant courier of the truth,” Sheen told TMZ. “Consistently admitting and owning a laundry list of shortcomings, wrongdoings, and indiscretions this traveler hath traveled -- however, every man has a breaking point."

He added, "These radically groundless and unfounded allegations end now. I now take a passionate stand against those who wish to even entertain the sick and twisted lies against me. GAME OVER."

The case took an unexpected turn when Haim’s mother Judy Haim sided with Sheen and then accused Brascia of being her son’s sexual abuser during an appearance on The Dr. Oz Show, which aired two days after publication of the National Enquirer article.

The complaint filed by Sheen in 2017 alleged that he had been the object of “a particularly egregious, hurtful, and disgusting campaign of defamations falsely asserting that Mr. Sheen sodomized a thirteen year old celebrity actor Corey Haim.” It also included verbiage questioning Brascia’s reliability since Brascia himself has been accused of abusing Haim.

Sheen voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit in 2018 after his lawyer had reported to the court that the parties were engaged in informal settlement talks, according to court records obtained by EW.

EW has reached out to representatives for Sheen for comment.
https://ew.com/movies/corey-feldman-...h-documentary/
Old 03-10-20, 02:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Weiss has also previously denied the allegation, writing on Twitter last month, "Corey Haim would never grandstand sex abuse for profit nor would he have thrown innocent names around due to personal vendettas. The fact that Feldman uses me to convince ppl that CH was a sex fiend is horrific and exposes both his jealousy of Haim & CF’s friendship with me."
This part is just bonkers. What this guy is saying is in no way what Feldman is doing. Seeing him twist Feldman’s intentions convinces me all the more that the dude is an abuser.
Old 03-10-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Feldman is far past the point where I'd believe anything he says without concrete proof. Regardless of what's true or not in this scenario, I do feel bad for whatever he and Haim had to deal with as children.
Old 03-10-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, Feldman's kookiness and opportunism haven't done him any favours, but I have little doubt that he and Haim had some awful experiences in the Hollywood machine when they were children.
Old 03-11-20, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Is Charlie Sheen gay? I thought he was a rampant womanizer.
Old 03-11-20, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

maybe thats why his life is such a trainwreck. Guilt and shame over the fact that he's a pedophile rapist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.