Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by PerryD
He went into hiding for two years, so maybe that's the penalty for the non-criminal #metoo cases.
So his behavior toward women should have been rewarded?

Lots of people work hard and don't find success. Just because Louis CK was successful, doesn't mean he can't fuck up and lose his shot at success. I, for one, would never support that kind of behavior
Old 01-30-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Also does anybody have a link to the Polanski case? I heard he is a fugitive but never actually read what happened
He anally raped a thirteen year-old in Jack Nicholson's hot tub.

He plead the charges down to a slap on the wrist.

After that, the court rescinded the plea bargain and were going to go after him on more serious charges, which caused him to flee the US and become a fugitive from justice.

A more detailed overview can be read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...ual_abuse_case

And the grand jury transcript is here: Roman Polanski, Fugitive Director | The Smoking Gun
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 01-30-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
B5Erik keep this same "Fuck that guy he's a rapist who got away with it because he's rich!" energy and vigor when charges against Harvey Weinstein are dropped like Kobe's...
Harvey Weinstein needs to go to prison for at least a decade (and at his age that could be a life sentence). He's total scum.

And I don't think he's getting away with it.
Old 01-30-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^Oh, I think he'll get more prison time than that.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He anally raped a thirteen year-old in Jack Nicholson's hot tub.

He plead the charges down to a slap on the wrist.
There are several other accusers as well. It's a travesty that he never faced justice. Even in the laissez-faire '60s and '70s, rape and sex with children were not socially acceptable.
Old 01-30-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^Oh, I think he'll get more prison time than that.

There are several other accusers as well. It's a travesty that he never faced justice. Even in the laissez-faire '60s and '70s, rape and sex with children were not socially acceptable.
It's just crazy to me how it's only popular opinion and public pressure that gets people to make a moral stand.
The facts of the Polanski case remain the same, but in the early 2000s, the majority of the public and audiences didn't feel too strongly about Polanski, or weren't that aware of the details. And he just made a very popular/well regarded movie at the time, so he got lavished with praise and the award for Best Director. Meryl Streep is standing up with others giving him a standing ovation.
Fast forward today and she's wearing a #TimesUp pin in hair and wearing black to the Golden Globes to promote #TimesUp. And NOW, the Academy expelled Polanski as a member, not because they felt it was the right thing to do, but because they don't want negative publicity in the time of #MeToo and #TimesUp.

If something's popular, many people will go along with it, regardless of what it is.
Old 01-30-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
It's just crazy to me how it's only popular opinion and public pressure that gets people to make a moral stand.
The facts of the Polanski case remain the same, but in the early 2000s, the majority of the public and audiences didn't feel too strongly about Polanski, or weren't that aware of the details. And he just made a very popular/well regarded movie at the time, so he got lavished with praise and the award for Best Director. Meryl Streep is standing up with others giving him a standing ovation.
Fast forward today and she's wearing a #TimesUp pin in hair and wearing black to the Golden Globes to promote #TimesUp. And NOW, the Academy expelled Polanski as a member, not because they felt it was the right thing to do, but because they don't want negative publicity in the time of #MeToo and #TimesUp.

If something's popular, many people will go along with it, regardless of what it is.
Well, yeah. Look at the politics today, for instance. We don't have to go into it and we shouldn't here, though, but it's a perfect example of moving the goalposts of acceptable and not acceptable.
Old 01-30-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, yeah. Look at the politics today, for instance. We don't have to go into it and we shouldn't here, though, but it's a perfect example of moving the goalposts of acceptable and not acceptable.
It's like when you grow up you realize the social dynamics of the playground or high school is repeated in the real world.
If the majority of the cool kids say something is right, then it's right. If they decide it's not right, then isn't right. Doesn't have to make sense or be based on reason or morals. If you disagree, you don't want to be on the outs with the cool kids so you're tempted to go along with the bullshit.
I understand why that it is in regards to politicians and their parties. Even in Hollywood it's politics. Harvey Weinstein had a lot of power and pull so of course, actors, directors etc will look the other way because they value their careers over anything else. You often times have to play politics when it comes to your career.

But even the public who doesn't get anything out of it will go with the flow, based on what's popular. Average dude that drugs and sodomizes a 13 year old; POS deserves to be locked up. Award winning director does the same? Well, no one's a saint. If we look into the past of every artist, director, writer, etc we'll all find something bad. Do you want to ban all art by people who've done something bad? Does one bad act define a person? Hey, his victim says she doesn't want him to be locked up, so let him be. Etc etc etc.

They resort to straw man, slipper-slope arguments and butwhatboutisms, essentially doing mental gymnastics to justify it. Are they afraid they'll lose out on more art from Polanski? Chinatown will go out-of-print forever? Is it because their fans of the work they somehow feel a kinship with the person creating it and defend the person out of reflex? Misplaced sense of loyalty? Or maybe they subconsciously feel guilty about enjoying their work or being a fan and it's a defense/coping mechanism?

Last edited by brayzie; 01-30-20 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Then there's Amazon signing Woody Allen to a multi picture deal knowing full well of the accusation against him, then suddenly having a come to Jesus moment and realizing that they made a mistake. No chance it had anything to do with the shift in the climate.

Think of all the people leading the metoo timesup bridgade who also worked with Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, Brett Ratner, the Jeepers Creepers Pedo. Knowing full well who and what they are. I mean the list is endless.
Old 01-31-20, 08:19 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Polanski and Kobe have a lot in common. First of all they’re both 6’5”.

Ha, but seriously. They really do though. The thing they have in common is that they both can dance. That is to say they are both exceptionally gifted. They do things no one else can do. We tend to give exceptional people a pass because of their talent.

And to extend the metaphor for a moment. Harvey Weinstein can’t dance for shit. He’s someone who gets in the way of the creative process and you have to pay him to get out of the way. That’s why he was so hated even before this sexual harassment thing was even a blip. That’s why his career won’t recover after this, he doesn’t have any talent.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-31-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^that's a good point.
Old 01-31-20, 02:11 PM
Banned

Thank you. It’s like what do you want? Kobe to be locked up and you never get to see him play the most amazing game of basketball ever again? That’s like punishing yourself. Do you want Polanski to go to jail, or do you want Macbeth, Bitter Moon, Death and the Maiden, Frantic, The Pianist, and the Ghostwriter? I’ll take the movies and two scotches to take away the guilt.

Its now widely known that David Bowie fucked a thirteen year old girl. You gonna stop listening? Of course not, that’d be punishing yourself as well.
Old 01-31-20, 02:19 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I always thought that Mike Tyson should have been allowed to box while serving his prison term with an agreement to split the earnings with the state or whoever was housing him. He was at the top of his game, so the payouts would have been huge.
Old 01-31-20, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Thank you. It’s like what do you want? Kobe to be locked up and you never get to see him play the most amazing game of basketball ever again? That’s like punishing yourself. Do you want Polanski to go to jail, or do you want Macbeth, Bitter Moon, Death and the Maiden, Frantic, The Pianist, and the Ghostwriter? I’ll take the movies and two scotches to take away the guilt.

Its now widely known that David Bowie fucked a thirteen year old girl. You gonna stop listening? Of course not, that’d be punishing yourself as well.

Right. And let's be honest...It wasn't MY loved one assaulted right? So why should I suffer?
Old 01-31-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,514 Posts

From today's witness testimony at Weinstein's trial:

In Friday's testimony, Ms Mann also alleged that Mr Weinstein had "extreme scarring" on his body and used erectile dysfunction medication. She also believed he was intersex, and it appeared he had a vagina and no testicles.

Old 01-31-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Pictures or it didn't happen!
Old 01-31-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Thank you. It’s like what do you want? Kobe to be locked up and you never get to see him play the most amazing game of basketball ever again?l
So let me get this straight - if someone is good at sports, or singing, or making music, they shouldn't be locked up for rape?

I actually do want criminals locked up, even if they are really good at basketball.

Last edited by Draven; 01-31-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
So let me get this straight - if someone is good at sports, or singing, or making music, they shouldn't be locked up for rape?

I actually do what criminals locked up, even if they are really good at basketball.
I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t be. I’m saying that in many cases society gives them a pass. Kobe and Polanski prove my point. So does R Kelly.

Now what’s this about Harvey has a vagina?!?! My Friday just got interesting.
Old 02-02-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
So his behavior toward women should have been rewarded?
Yes, that’s exactly what he said.

In Johnny Depp/Amber Heard news, leaked audio appears to confirm that Heard was indeed the violent one in the relationship.

https://www.newsweek.com/justiceforjohnnydepp-trends-amber-heard-admits-hitting-actor-1485267

In the clip the couple are heard discussing numerous arguments and Heard admits to "hitting" Depp and pelting him with pots and pans during one violent altercation."It's not true. It's not true. I'm not the one who throws pots and whatever the f***ing else at me," Depp replied after Heard claimed he took her for granted.

Later, Heard denied punching Depp but conceded she had hit him.

"I'm sorry that I didn't, uh, uh, hit you across the face in a proper slap, but I was hitting you, it was not punching you. Babe, you're not punched," she said.

"I don't know what the motion of my actual hand was, but you're fine, I did not hurt you, I did not punch you, I was hitting you."
Old 02-02-20, 09:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It doesn’t prove that Depp didn’t abuse her. She probably isn’t 100% innocent either. I don’t have a dog in that fight, just saying.
Old 02-02-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
It doesn’t prove that Depp didn’t abuse her. She probably isn’t 100% innocent either. I don’t have a dog in that fight, just saying.
Has anyone else ever accused Depp of domestic violence? It seems unusual that he would start being abusive at his age unless his other partners just didn't report it.
Old 02-02-20, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Correct, she isn't 100% innocent, she admitted that. He also probably isn't entirely either, but only one side so far has admitted to hitting the other.

Either way, they need to not be around each other.
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 02-02-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Meet Darren Sharper. Most of you commenting in this thread probably aren't NFL fans, but this guy was the fucking devil. His case was very big.

Super Bowl champion, very well liked, handsome and I also had a TV job at NFL Network. I didn't know him, but he was a colleague when I first started at NFL Network 8 years ago.

Turns out that was all a facade. This guy was a serial rapist. He drugged and raped 16 women in 4 states.

You can read about his case here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...g-raping-women

He finally got caught and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Granted Sharper is nowhere near as popular as Kobe Bryant, but this man is the epitome of evil. He showed absolutely no remorse during his trial.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-20 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-02-20, 10:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Correct, she isn't 100% innocent, she admitted that. He also probably isn't entirely either, but only one side so far has admitted to hitting the other.
That makes sense. Appreciate the clarification. Wasn’t trying to knock Depp or anything.
Old 02-02-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I’ll go ahead and say it’s bullshit to call out actresses for supporting #MeToo when they previously supported someone with an abusive or violent past. I mean, isn’t part of the whole point of the current movement that women historically had to keep their mouths shut and smile along for fear of losing their career or worse? Recognizing the system was/is shit and committing to doing better? If someone claims to support the movement and simultaneously makes excuses for a scumbag, criticize away. But the idea of telling a woman, ‘you don’t get to have a voice now because you didn’t use it in the past’ is crap.
Old 02-02-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I’ll go ahead and say it’s bullshit to call out actresses for supporting #MeToo when they previously supported someone with an abusive or violent past. I mean, isn’t part of the whole point of the current movement that women historically had to keep their mouths shut and smile along for fear of losing their career or worse? Recognizing the system was/is shit and committing to doing better? If someone claims to support the movement and simultaneously makes excuses for a scumbag, criticize away. But the idea of telling a woman, ‘you don’t get to have a voice now because you didn’t use it in the past’ is crap.
I agree with this sentiment but I also feel like people such as Meryl Streep were completely sincere in their support for Polanski. Do you think there was external pressure to give Polanski a pass or a genuine respect for him from Hollywood players?

Humans are very prone to hypocrisy. I think the Polanski situation is an example of it and I don't think it's fair to hold people to standards of consistency that none of us really live up to.
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.