Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by sauce07
Andy Signor (Screen Junkies) was one of the first people accused in the #metoo movement, and now it looks like he was innocent. His accuser has some explaining to do.

Hey may be innocent of the accusations, but he really comes across as disingenuous. I think the only regret he has about his actions are that he got caught. He was basically just acting in that clip.
If his wife were smart, she's divorce his ass.
Old 07-23-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Hey may be innocent of the accusations, but he really comes across as disingenuous. I think the only regret he has about his actions are that he got caught. He was basically just acting in that clip.
I'm pretty sure they did get divorced. I thought he came off as genuine in regretting what he did with fans, but also angry at the more serious accusations that he has decent evidence to discredit that accuser. Just a shitty situation all around.
Old 07-23-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I thought he was okay, most of the time, but around the 16 minute mark, when he started getting louder, it definitely seemed like (bad) acting.

Regardless, infidelity is not a crime, and it certainly seems as though the accusations were lies.
Old 07-23-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

April Dawn's (the person who made the accusations against Signore) "statement":

Old 07-24-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Doesn't mean he deserved what happened to him. But it doesn't matter, the person who made the accusations probably won't have to answer for them.
That's the main problem with the MeToo movement: it believes any allegation without question. Serious accusations need serious evidence but most MeToo accusations have no supporting evidence beyond the accusation itself. When every accusation is believed without question, what happens when the accusation is not true? Some people lie and make false accusations and that fact has to be acknowledge and there should be negative ramifications for false accusers.
Old 07-24-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

With all the attention on Maya Hawke, I have to wonder why her mother let her go into Hollywood after everything Uma has been through. Between Quentin nearly killing her and Harvey's abuse I wouldn't want my kid anywhere near Hollywood, especially given how much she looks like Uma.
Old 07-24-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
With all the attention on Maya Hawke, I have to wonder why her mother let her go into Hollywood after everything Uma has been through. Between Quentin nearly killing her and Harvey's abuse I wouldn't want my kid anywhere near Hollywood, especially given how much she looks like Uma.
Doesn't mean the same thing will happen to her.
Old 07-25-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
That's the main problem with the MeToo movement: it believes any allegation without question. Serious accusations need serious evidence but most MeToo accusations have no supporting evidence beyond the accusation itself. When every accusation is believed without question, what happens when the accusation is not true? Some people lie and make false accusations and that fact has to be acknowledge and there should be negative ramifications for false accusers.

It's the other end of the pendulum swing. That other side being when women were being harassed and abused and no one would listen. Or worse, no one would listen AND they had men retaliate against them, fire them, etc.

The same men crying about Metoo no didn't give a damn when the pendulum swung the other way. NOW that men are being called out for shitty behavior "it's a war on men!!!!" "MeToo is Unfair!!!". Things have to go this way. It will eventually balance out as Men act right and as women who lie about abuse are also called out.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-25-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I would think having both parents as actors would mean that they would at the very least have enough connections to have her avoid a lot of that stuff. It's not like Uma gave up her profession in disgust or anything.
Old 07-25-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Doesn't mean the same thing will happen to her.
Haven't seen Maya, have you? She looks like her mother. Trust me, she will be hit on.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I would think having both parents as actors would mean that they would at the very least have enough connections to have her avoid a lot of that stuff. It's not like Uma gave up her profession in disgust or anything.
Then why did Uma greenlight Maya working with Tarantino in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood after what Tarantino did to her?
Old 07-25-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Haven't seen Maya, have you? She looks like her mother. Trust me, she will be hit on.
Is that the horrible thing that happened?
Old 07-25-19, 02:07 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Then why did Uma greenlight Maya working with Tarantino in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood after what Tarantino did to her?
umathurman
i post this clip to memorialize it’s full exposure in the nyt by Maureen Dowd.
the circumstances of this event were negligent to the point of criminality.
i do not believe though with malicious intent.
Quentin Tarantino, was deeply regretful and remains remorseful about this sorry event, and gave me the footage years later so i could expose it and let it see the light of day, regardless of it most likely being an event for which justice will never be possible.
he also did so with full knowledge it could cause him personal harm, and i am proud of him for doing the right thing and for his courage.
THE COVER UP after the fact is UNFORGIVABLE.
for this i hold Lawrence Bender, E. Bennett Walsh, and the notorious Harvey Weinstein solely responsible.
they lied, destroyed evidence, and continue to lie about the permanent harm they caused and then chose to suppress.
the cover up did have malicious intent, and shame on these three for all eternity.
CAA never sent anyone to Mexico.
i hope they look after other clients more respectfully if they in fact want to do the job for which they take money with any decency.
Old 07-25-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Surprised to see Bender's name being mentioned then I noticed that Bender hasn't produced for QT since Inglourious Basterds. He did not produce H8 or Once Upon A Time...
Old 07-26-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Andy Signor (Screen Junkies) was one of the first people accused in the #metoo movement, and now it looks like he was innocent. His accuser has some explaining to do.

He's not completely innocent of being a creep (even by his own admission), but the fact that he was so easily raked over the coals and had his career ruined and his name smeared when it turns out his accuser made up her story is pretty shitty. It also sucks that the outlets that reported on the accusations aren't willing to follow up and correct their original stories. Probably because it makes them look bad for impulsively grabbing onto a story that didn't have the backing evidence.

I thought the video was a pretty good defense of himself. It definitely seemed scripted/rehearsed, but that's kinda understandable if you ask me given his situation. I'm sure he wanted to be sure everything was presented as accurately as possible so he didn't get more backlash. Also he and his wife were divorced a while back already of I recall.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-26-19 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure if he was bawling his eyes out, he'd be accused of acting and playing on people sympathies.
Old 07-30-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,470 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
That's been the problem with rape since the beginning of time. The boss invites the staffer into his office and shuts the door. The door opens again an hour later. But what has happened? What supporting evidence is there that there was forcible rape, or coercion, or implicit threats, or seduction, or mutually enthusiastic sex, or seduction the other way? None.

There are no easy answers for how to handle the problem. "Only believe an accusation if there is serious supporting evidence" is one of those useless easy answers.
Old 07-30-19, 08:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
"Only believe an accusation if there is serious supporting evidence" is one of those useless easy answers.
Exactly right. And if we pay attention to what a lot of people have been saying, your comment is in line with the movement in general. But that's not the impression one gets when your main source of opinionated content on the topic is reddit and 'edgy' YouTubers.
Old 08-09-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Sex abuse case against Cuba Gooding Jr. can go forward, New York judge rules

The sex abuse case against Cuba Gooding Jr. can go forward after a New York judge threw out a motion to dismiss the case, according to court documents.
Judge Phyllis Chu also set a trial date of September 3. Chu reached her decision on Wednesday.
Gooding has been charged with forcible touching, a misdemeanor, and sex abuse in the third degree relating to an alleged groping incident in New York City in June.

A 29-year-old woman filed a police report claiming Gooding grabbed her breast at Magic Hour Rooftop Bar & Lounge in Manhattan.

Gooding has denied the claim.

In a statement Thursday, Gooding's attorney Mark Jay Heller said: "I am totally confident that when a jury of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s peers assess all of the exculpatory evidence in this case, that he will be totally exonerated."
Gooding voluntarily surrendered to the NYPD for questioning and pleaded not guilty to the charges in a Manhattan courtroom. The actor was released on his own recognizance.

Source
Old 09-28-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

HuffPost: ‘The Fast And The Furious’ Director Rob Cohen Accused Of Sexual Assault

The alleged victim says Cohen assaulted her when she was unconscious. In February, his daughter accused him of assaulting her when she was a child.
Old 10-03-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-06-19, 06:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Actress Sarah Joy Brown (V.R. Troopers, Power Rangers, General Hospital) has accused her ex-fiance, producer/composer Shuki Levy (Saban Entertainment staple through 2001) of not only sexual assault, but also attempted murder. She says that Levy's creative partner, Haim Saban as well as Bill Clinton were a party to at least one of these incidents.

She talks about Levy here (warning: not for the faint of heart):

This post on another message board breaks down what she says during the first 50 or minutes of the video I linked above: https://www.rangerboard.com/showpost...&postcount=187

And here's the entire thread on Rangerboard about her allegations: https://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=184347
Old 10-06-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

42:40: Inside Saban's private library, Shuki shoves his finger into her anus while she was speaking to Bill Clinton and in front of Saban. Brown believes that Saban didn't see it though, but she didn't know about the allegations against Bill Clinton at time.
That's kind of surreal...
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 10-06-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Feels like an entire universe is tainted.
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 10-07-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm not much into Power Rangers, but that's some pretty skeevy stuff, with seemingly endless potential to snowball . . .
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)
Old 10-07-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I'm not much into Power Rangers, but that's some pretty skeevy stuff, with seemingly endless potential to snowball . . .
I wonder if Hasbro is looking at this stuff?
John Pannozzi (06-02-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.