Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Originally Posted by Brack
Hard to believe the guy who has a comedy background directed the humorless Thor Ragnarok.

I'll raise you one and say the guy who has a comedy background directing a film called the fucking JOKER!

#YourMoveBitch
Old 04-04-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll raise you one and say the guy who has a comedy background directing a film called the fucking JOKER!

#YourMoveBitch
The ultimate meta Joker move would be to market this as a dark Taxi Driver-esque film when in reality the movie ends up being a silly, raunchy comedy.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Old 04-04-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

The ultimate meta Joker move would be to market this as a dark Taxi Driver-esque film when in reality the movie ends up being a silly, raunchy comedy.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Now you're talking.
Old 04-04-19, 10:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

#YourMoveBitch
I still stand by my joke, much better than mean-spirited crap above.

But I’ll play. Joker doesn’t look funny at all except when the title character gets his ass beat with a sign. Weak sauce.

I just hope it’s better than Wars Dogs. I liked it a whole lot better when it had better acting and story and was called Lord of War.
Old 04-04-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack

I still stand by my joke, much better than mean-spirited crap above.

But I’ll play. Joker doesn’t look funny at all except when the title character gets his ass beat with a sign. Weak sauce.

I just hope it’s better than Wars Dogs. I liked it a whole lot better when it had better acting and story and was called Lord of War.

Relax, I wasn't being mean spirited it at all. In fact, the best example was the Russo Brothers comparison.

Old 04-05-19, 12:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Relax, I wasn't being mean spirited it at all. In fact, the best example was the Russo Brothers comparison.
Right on, I agree with that assessment. I was just making silly joke about Ragnarok as humorless, since I think it’s easily the funniest movie I’ve seen in the few years, but who knew Waititi could put tougher some amazing action sequences?

i really am going to give this movie a benefit of the doubt. I never want anything not to be good. I think the idea of this movie is starting to grow on me some.
Old 04-05-19, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it was joaquin phoenix not warner bros. who several years ago had sowed the seeds of doing a low budget character study of a comic book villain the joKer:

“Three or four years ago, I called my agent and said ‘Why don’t they want to take one of these characters and just make a lower budget film about it, a movie but a character study, and why not take one of the villains?’ And I thought, ‘You can’t do the Joker, because, you know, it’s just you can’t do that character, it’s just been done.’ So I was trying to think of other characters, and he said ‘I’ll set up a general meeting with Warner Bros.’ And I said ‘I’m not gonna go, I can’t go to a general meeting.’ So I completely forgot about it, and so then I heard about this idea, I was like, ‘Oh that’s so exciting, that’s the kind of experience I wanted to have, with a movie based on a comic character.’ I felt like you could get something on screen.”

i'm not granted linking privileges yet but the interview ' Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix on His “Unique” Joker Movie and Why It Scares Him' is at collider.com
Old 04-05-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I guess, I was fortunate enough not to dig in this tread before seeing the trailer. I thought it looked good, not in a comic book movie sense, but in a sad clown sense. Whether it ties to anything else I don't really care. Just make a good movie.
Old 04-05-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In addition to the more obvious King of Comedy and Taxi Driver homages - I also got hints of Last Circus flourishes:

Old 04-05-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The more I watch that trailer, the more I get genuinely excited for this movie. It looks like a real movie, not a videogame. I feel like without having to narratively attach itself to the DCEU and the fact that the budget is pretty low for a comic book movie, that they were really able to swing for the fences. I'm pumped. It's the role JP was born to play.
Old 04-05-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Something about this reminds me of all the heat thrown at Dark Knight when Ledger was announced as Joker. People talking a ton of shit and speculating what a misstep that aspect is.

Personally, I don't care which backstory they go with, I just want it to be a solid flick. I am a little curious as to when it takes place though as to how old Joaquin Phoenix's character is.
Old 04-05-19, 03:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

After watching the trailer, the best thing I can say about the film is that at least it might inspire a few people to seek out Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

This looks excessively derivative. Even the lighting.
Old 04-06-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

If this is some alternate universe Joker, that would be ok, but there's no way this joker is the one we all know and love.
Old 04-06-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
If this is some alternate universe Joker, that would be ok, but there's no way this joker is the one we all know and love.
Quoting for future use.

Funny thing is, when Ledger was cast, I'm sure somebody said something similar. Not saying Phoenix is going to the be all, end all of Joker performances, but I think he will deliver (as he normally does).
Old 04-06-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also got hints of Last Circus flourishes:
Same here.
What a helluva visual movie The Last Circus is!
Old 04-06-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
This movie is supposedly a stand-alone story at this point. I’m hoping it remains as such, but like I and others have brought up the one thing with The Joker is that you can’t really trust that this version of his origin is real. There’s really not a solid backstory for his character.
Old 04-06-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Not doing much for me. Let me know when someone is adapting Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on Serious Earth. I'm sure JP's performance will be very good, though.
Old 04-06-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Something about this reminds me of all the heat thrown at Dark Knight when Ledger was announced as Joker. People talking a ton of shit and speculating what a misstep that aspect is.

Personally, I don't care which backstory they go with, I just want it to be a solid flick. I am a little curious as to when it takes place though as to how old Joaquin Phoenix's character is.
I think that was directed more at Ledger’s “pretty boy” image at that point.

My issue here isn’t with Phoenix - it’s that I think the story it looks like they are telling (Joker’s backstory) is completely underwhelming to me as a concept. It’s like doing a story about Superman but it’s just his life on the farm. Or Bruce Wayne but it’s only him sitting in board meetings. Sure you COULD do that. It doesn’t mean I’m going to get excited about it.

Old 04-06-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

This looks far more interesting than I ever would have considered. I worry it could be hard to watch when he's trying and failing at life, but I guess that would be necessary to show his fall.
Old 04-07-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
My issue here isn’t with Phoenix - it’s that I think the story it looks like they are telling (Joker’s backstory) is completely underwhelming to me as a concept. It’s like doing a story about Superman but it’s just his life on the farm. Or Bruce Wayne but it’s only him sitting in board meetings. Sure you COULD do that. It doesn’t mean I’m going to get excited about it.
You make a very good point...why take THE MYSTERY out of the character?
Dramatically, it's a dumb idea.
Old 04-07-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
This is the same sorta thing as the Halloween, TCM and Friday the 13th remakes. I don’t want to feel sorry for these lunatics.
Old 04-07-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus
IDK, to me it's something different in an era over-saturated with comic book movies. Doesn't remove the "mystery" out of Ledger's performance so why not?

Originally Posted by Toddarino

This is the same sorta thing as the Halloween, TCM and Friday the 13th remakes. I don’t want to feel sorry for these lunatics.
​​​​
Did you feel sorry for Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver?
Old 04-07-19, 05:30 PM

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
IDK, to me it's something different in an era over-saturated with comic book movies. Doesn't remove the "mystery" out of Ledger's performance so why not?

​​​​
Did you feel sorry for Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver?
No but this isn’t the same thing.
Old 04-07-19, 08:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Goddamm some of you. We are finally presented with an art house version for a comic mythology and some of you guys are like nah i want dumber
Old 04-07-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino

No but this isn’t the same thing.
Ah, so I take it you've seen Joker already. Apparently you hated it. Shame, as nando said, maybe DC should just dumb it down.

Well good news on that front, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin is returning to the big screen in a Fathom special event...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.