Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Originally Posted by Brack
Has it been working? Everything we’ve seen at the box office was already planned up to Shazam before Justice League’s release. This Joker movie is the first DC movie made to test this new direction.
Sure they were planned, but script development and re-shoots were all approved and overseen by Hamada. Hell, Hamada is the EP of Shazam! and Aqauaman. He took over DC in the middle of production of Aquaman,
Old 04-04-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the only people that would be *mildly* confused about when/how/where this takes place would be the most casual movie goer who thinks Wonder Woman was a Marvel film.
Halloween (2018) was a big hit, and wasn't a sequel to the remake series of 2007 and 2009, but to the original 1978 film, which itself already had a sequel in 1981. If people can let that fly, why not in this case?
I mean, it's clearly a different actor, a different vibe, and a different setting.
Old 04-04-19, 03:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sure they were planned, but script development and re-shoots were all approved and overseen by Hamada. Hell, Hamada is the EP of Shazam!
Shazam went into production two months after JL, I highly doubt the script was changed much. And reshoots had nothing to do with JL.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...eeded-reshoots

Old 04-04-19, 03:26 PM

Heck, Henry Cavill almost was in Shazam but scheduling conflicts didn’t allow:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ake-up-1142306

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and the studio broke down
And Aquaman finished production a month before JL was released.
Old 04-04-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Cavill wanted a lot of money for that cameo.
Old 04-04-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
What's next.... A Wes Anderson film on The Justice League staring Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman.
Where do I send my money to make this happen?
Old 04-04-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 04-04-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

When the DCEU launched back in 2013, Geoff Johns was running the DC film studio and was the one who helped orchestrate the "Connected universe" He has since left and is producing and writing his own shows. He basically left with the DC film slate in disarray. Remember when they announced a big list of films planned going into 2020-2021? What happened to that?

Walter Hamada was promoted to run the DC film studio and he's been cleaning up Johns mess and is the one responsible for the new direction of more standalone movies. I don't think it's stupid and short sighted. You may not like it or not like this direction, but it's been working so far. Aquaman is a billion dollar movie and is 99% standalone. Shazam! is getting great reviews and had a solid preview showing back on the 23rd.
I guess this is the first I’ve heard of the Aquaman film not being a part of the DCU. I was under the assumption that it was an origin story just like WW was.
Old 04-04-19, 04:04 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino

I guess this is the first I’ve heard of the Aquaman film not being a part of the DCU. I was under the assumption that it was an origin story just like WW was.
It is a part of the DCEU. So is Shazam. They just aren't worrying about connecting everything anymore, trying to set up 5 movies from now before even doing one successfully, and trying to copy Marvel.
Old 04-04-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Aquaman as I said is 99% standalone and yeah it is an origin story. I guess you didn't see it, but there is pretty much no tie-in to the DCEU other than a blink and miss reference from a supporting character.
Old 04-04-19, 04:15 PM

Aquaman as I said is 99% standalone and yeah it is an origin story. I guess you didn't see it, but there is pretty much no tie-in to the DCEU other than a blink and miss reference from a supporting character.
We don’t have to go around circles on this, but that’s really my point. Aquaman is not a reboot or a standalone. It’s part of the universe they are creating. Now if they make another Justice League and recast Aquaman for that, yet continue with Moama’s films that would be the same as what is going on with the Joker.
Old 04-04-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Aquaman is not a reboot or a standalone. It’s part of the universe they are creating.
Aquaman is very much a standalone movie.

While it is loosely "part" of an overall universe, it references it barely at all, interacts with it not at all, and knowledge of said universe is completely irrelevant and unnecessary to following and enjoying (or disliking) the movie.

Ask yourself this: if you never saw MOS, BvS, SS, WW, JL... would you still be able to watch Aquaman and (except for a fleeting reference to Steppenwolf) understand 100% of what was going on, who the characters were, what their motivations were, the machinations of the plot, etc.

You can't say the same for, say, Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming, any of the Avengers movies, etc.
Old 04-04-19, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You can't say the same for, say, Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming, any of the Avengers movies, etc.
I don't think you need to have seen any other Marvel movies to know what's going in Homecoming or Black Panther. And that would be the comparison to a character introduced in a team up movie who went on to their own. Sure you don't get the full effect not having seen Civil War, but it doesn't rely on it. But this isn't an Aquaman thread, so let's not get too off topic.
Old 04-04-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aquaman adds context and advances the established character into being a real version of that superhero instead of the ramshackle, reluctant dude from the sea, so in that regard it's a significant part of DC's universe. In the grand scheme of things, though, it can and does stand alone. Nobody showed up. Hardly anybody was referenced, with Steppenwolf being the most notable name-drop. Thankfully, I don't have to appreciate or care about any of the previous DCEU films to dig Aquaman ... and that's a good thing, because if folks had to like Justice League as a prerequisite to enjoying Aquaman, it would've been in a lot of trouble.
Old 04-04-19, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Aquaman adds context and advances the established character into being a real version of that superhero instead of the ramshackle reluctant dude from the sea, so in that regard it's a significant part of DC's universe. In the grand scheme of things, though, it can and does stand alone. Nobody showed up. Hardly anybody was referenced, with Steppenwolf being the most notable name-drop. Thankfully, I don't have to appreciate or care about any of the previous DCEU films to dig Aquaman ... and that's a good thing, because if folks had to like Justice League as a prerequisite to enjoying Aquaman, it would've been in a lot of trouble.
Bingo.
Old 04-04-19, 04:39 PM

I’ll take a step back for a while. I think the whole point of my argument isn’t getting across. Maybe I have no point.
Old 04-04-19, 04:53 PM

To sum up, DC is back to Phase 1 of its DCEU for, well, forever.
Old 04-04-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
This film is the origin story for:

Which proves ALL of the Batman films ARE in continuity with each other.
Old 04-04-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It is a part of the DCEU. So is Shazam. They just aren't worrying about connecting everything anymore, trying to set up 5 movies from now before even doing one successfully, and trying to copy Marvel.
I think the DCEU is rather mercurial concept at this point in history.
Old 04-04-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

The DCEU may exist (or at least we're told it does), but in actuality it doesn't really matter until the people in charge decide it does. That's where I think it gets a bit annoying. There seems to be a thought process of picking and choosing where films do and do not go together.
Old 04-04-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Wow for a forum about movies, you guys suck at recognizing something with great potential

That trailer was fucking art

Yeah we don't know if the final product will deliver, but that trailer was beautiful
Todd “Starsky & Hutch” Phillips just came in his pants.
Old 04-04-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Come on, let's not criticize Phillips for being from a comedy movie background. Look at who directed Ragnarok and rejoice.
Old 04-04-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Come on, let's not criticize Phillips for being from a comedy movie background. Look at who directed Ragnarok and rejoice.
Hell, look at who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier ... and a few more things after that.
Old 04-04-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Hell, look at who directed Captain America: The Winter Soldier ... and a few more things after that.

Touché!
Old 04-04-19, 08:14 PM

Hard to believe the guy who has a comedy background directed the humorless Thor Ragnarok.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.