Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Joker (2019, D: Todd Phillips) -- S: Joaquin Phoenix

That’s where we really differ - I DON’T want to see a villain origin story like this. After Ledger, I just love the “all in, don’t have to explain one thing about him” take they did since that’s pretty much all he’s ever been portrayed as. I never felt (and still don’t) want or need to hear a prolonged backstory of how he came to be, especially for a comic book character like this one. He works best in suspended belief and removed from reality. Bringing him to our level voids the mystery of what I grew up with when I read the comics and watched the show and movies.

All that said, I will watch it when it hits digital. But that’s about as much as I can support this endeavor.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-27-19 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, this looks good, but I really don’t want to empathize with Joker like this film seems to want to portray at least to an extent. Really not the biggest fan of him getting an origin either. I view this as something basically detached from anything to do with the comics and really the character. Even his look isn’t exactly the same.
Old 09-28-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Print Journalists and Reporters have been banned from tonight's Hollywood premiere of the Joker. The only media allowed will be photographers.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...re-red-carpet/

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 09-28-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
That’s where we really differ - I DON’T want to see a villain origin story like this. After Ledger, I just love the “all in, don’t have to explain one thing about him” take they did since that’s pretty much all he’s ever been portrayed as. I never felt (and still don’t) want or need to hear a prolonged backstory of how he came to be, especially for a comic book character like this one. He works best in suspended belief and removed from reality. Bringing him to our level voids the mystery of what I grew up with when I read the comics and watched the show and movies.

All that said, I will watch it when it hits digital. But that’s about as much as I can support this endeavor.
I kind of agree with this. The backstory of enigmatic characters never works out. Certain characters work better because of that mystery. I think this looks well made, but really is it anything more than Falling Down in the DC universe? I guess we’ll find out.

Now ... if you want to give me a Joker origin movie, set it in an interrogation room (with Batman if you like) and give me four or five different and contradictory flashback stories. I even want the Joker played by different actors in each vignette to further destroy the narrative.
Old 09-28-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 3nthebag
With all of this concern over a movie, the media better stop putting out this negative vibe before someone takes these ideas and runs with them.
... and THERE is the correct answer.
Old 09-28-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Another reason not to go.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/ve...a-0026d1028164

Here is what the memo reads in its entirety:

1. The Fort Sill CID Office received an intelligence bulletin regarding a credible potential mass shooting to occur at an unknown movie theater during the release of the new Joker movie scheduled on October 4, 2019. The intelligence bulletin was published by Travis County, TX Sheriff's Office and working with the local FBI office, they have discovered disturbing and very specific chatter in the dark web regarding the targeting of an unknown movie theater during the Joker release.

2. This notice is to have the widest dissemination to the FSOK community as a potential threat within the AOR. Commanders need to be aware of this threat for Soldier and family safety and to increase situational awareness should they choose to attend the release of this movie at a local theater.

3. The Fort Sill CID Office will maintain visibility of this intelligence and update the FSOK community as new information becomes available.

4. Point of Contact for this report is the undersigned at (580)442-2856 or email: [email protected].
From a first hand point of view ...

The Intelligence community hears this type of “chatter” every day. One day it is instructions and planning for mass coordinated attacks on hospital emergency rooms. The next day it is coordination for attacks on the power grid. Then it is instructions on how attack shopping centers ... parks ... 5K events ... large memorials ... daycare centers ...

Every threat must be assessed and treated. I hear these bulletins on a routine basis. That isn’t to say ignore them ... but it also isn’t to say to put credible stock in them either. The best weapon against these possibilities is to shine the light on them.

These threats could be real. Sometimes they are to test a reaction. Sometimes they are to waste resources. But more often they are just ramblings.

If you don’t go see this movie, the Joker wins ...