Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I saw it on Monday, and had no idea how busy it'd be considering it was Monday, and the Cineplex was showing it on four different screens scattered among LIEMAX 3-D, regular 3-D, and 2-D. We arrived 15 minutes before one of the 2-D showings and had to sit in the fourth row. Great to see this much interest.

I really liked it. I wasn't a fan of the slo-mo, but nearly everything else worked for me. So I think 4.5 stars.

It definitely had a Captain America 1 vibe, but I've always been fascinated by WWI so I liked that aspect of it. As far as WWI vs WWII, it was obvious to me, but I saw a group of young guys outside the theater arguing about it.

Gadot is gorgeous. I've only seen her in the Fast films and BvS (I did see Date Night and Knight and Day but have no idea how big her parts were), but I wouldn't mind seeking out others.

I didn't know there was no post-credits scene, but I always stay anyway. I'm amused that people are that excited about being able to leave early and get 10 minutes of their life back.
Old 06-07-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777
Gadot is gorgeous. I've only seen her in the Fast films and BvS (I did see Date Night and Knight and Day but have no idea how big her parts were), but I wouldn't mind seeking out others.
I know its not a popular opinion, but I really liked the Costner Criminal film. I thought she was great in it...
Old 06-07-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I just saw it this afternoon and really liked it. Gal Gadot is terrific as Wonder Woman--you just can't take your eyes off her. Pine is good as Rogers. The early action sequences--on Themyscira, in London, and especially her No Man's Land charge and the battle in the village--are awesome.

I think the film's weakest area is its villains. The doctor/scientist was creepy and interesting at first, but she didn't really amount to anything in the end. The General had potential, too, but there wasn't enough interplay between him and the heroes throughout the movie to make for a memorable conflict. And as others have mentioned, David Thewlis as Aries was maybe not the best casting choice--plus, he only really became the villain at the end so you don't get the satisfaction of WW struggling against him throughout the movie before defeating him.

I would have liked to have spent more time on Themyscira. More screentime for Robin Wright and Connie Nielsen would have been welcome.

Overall, though, really enjoyable. Entertaining action scenes, an appropriate amount of humor, and a breakout role for Gal Gadot. I look forward to seeing more of her WW, but I also hope she has time for different kinds of roles, too. She's got everyone's attention, now what will she do with it?
Old 06-07-17, 06:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

just got out. boy was this well made and pure fun and fantasy (i assume the year was roughly 1918, they definitely got the look of the time right, i mean the CGI was phenomenal).

a near perfect origin story. it didn't do anything new really, but it had a great story, great director, characters that are mostly fleshed out and you feel for them with actors that are just at peak performance coming together to make a wonderfully told movie. as superhero movies go, this definitely ranks as one of the better made, better crafted, fun movies in the genre. as origin stories go, it did have shades of Superman (1978) and Reeve's iconic performance. but of course, minty fresh and modernized for this century's audience.

speaking of Patty Jenkins, i wish we didn't have to distinguish between gender. it was bold her choice, not because she is female, but she only really had Monster under her belt and that was very indie and low budget. but, this continues the string of sometimes obscure directors picked for these blockbuster franchises. too bad so much has to be made about gender. i wish it were just based on merit. and i do wish there were more confident, newer directors like Jenkins who were given a chance to surprise and amaze. i think movies done right, competently directed that evoke emotion and humor and thrills and story and characters we love should not have to be emphasized by gender. a director is a director. if they know their craft and make a story great and take you for a ride, then that is all that matters.

this was one of those movies and Jenkins excels in my opinion. this was just very well done. evoked so many emotions and pure escapism which is what these movies are all about for me. i got chills when we saw Gadot in full WW costume. chills. and finally a villain that was powerful and good
Spoiler:
(i mean Thewlis is always good)
, but the reveal of him/her was good and i only kinda suspected something during a phone scene.
Spoiler:
but, does this mean Dr. Maru will be back in some way? or does she just disappear and really insignificant? she was good and seemed real menacing, which is why her end seemed open.

truthfully, the "love conquers all" theme is a little old and been done before, as well as the gang of quirky, but specially trained in something band of misfits (usually drunks) that eventually help to save the world, not to mention the "fish out of water", but this was done fresh and with so much heart.

the chemistry between Gadot and Pine was great. Gadot exuded this character and I guess I really had no idea what a powerful character she was in the comics. i don't know if it is true to form according to comic lore or whatever, but damn if she is just not so powerful.
Spoiler:
i mean being a God, does that make her more powerful than Superman?

Anyway, she was great and really embodied a kick ass superhero, both in costume and out. her raw emotions showed through and was very good and believable.

the only nitpicks i have were there didn't seem to be a real definable score to this one imo, or at least one that i could detect as unique or character introducing, something that lingers with you and becomes distinguishable. did she have one in Batman vs. Superman? this was ok, but nothing earth shattering or one that would ever become iconic.

and the other, while he only EP'd it did have some, just some, Snyder flair, of course he is big in the DC world, but i wish there was a little more detachment. his color usage or mostly lack there of and love of slo-mo. don't get me wrong, since it was a period piece it was apropos, and the slo-mo was very well done and the choreography during the Amazonion battle sequences were slightly unique and very well staged.

Just a really well done, very good movie all around. it is everything a fantasy, superhero movie should be and more. great origin story and Gadot played the shit out of this century's Wonder Woman. really fun and can't wait for subsequent viewings.

Old 06-07-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Pine is good as Rogers.

“Chris Evans’ character is Steve Rogers, and in Wonder Woman I’m playing Steve Trevor – a completely different Steve, played by a different Chris altogether.”
Old 06-07-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Damnit! I knew that and still wrote it incorrectly.
Old 06-07-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I never kept up on DC comics as much as Marvel, but IIRC, there are incarnations of Wonder Woman in the comics where she is almost or as strong as Superman.
Old 06-07-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

For awhile (when John Byrne was writing her comic), Wonder Woman was the 2nd strongest DC superhero after Superman. She could also fly. Her weakness was that she wasn't invulnerable. She was much tougher and resilient than mortals, of course, but she could be shot, stabbed, drowned, etc. Hence the need for the defensive bracers, lasso, etc.

#fulltaffer

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-07-17 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Oh and this one's for a certain someone we know and love:

Old 06-08-17, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

After 3 lackluster movies, WBDC finally hits a HOMERUN with WW. Solid 'A' from me.

Gal Gadot was nearly perfect as Diana/WW.
Chris Pine was an excellent choice to play Steve Trevor.
Too bad because of the time period, we will never see Trevor again.
Unless the movie Flash likes to muck around with the timeline as much as his TV counterpart does.
Old 06-08-17, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The pre-movie show is great. Of course, scenes of gladiator movies, Wonder Woman cartoons, the TV show plus scenes from two TV pilots that weren't picked up. Typical Drafthouse stuff
I bought our tickets yesterday afternoon. All of that pre-show stuff sounds fun!

I usually only come out to the Alamo Drafthouse for Terror Tuesdays & Weird Wednesdays. Outside of Raw (2016), this will be one of the few times I've attended a film not on one of those nights. I love the pre-shows they include with their themed nights.
Old 06-08-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Oh and this one's for a certain someone we know and love:

I like this one:

Old 06-08-17, 09:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wife and I checked out the new Drafthouse here in Austin yesterday. Recliner leather seats? Yes please. And if made the movie that much more fun to watch. We enjoyed it, I'd say 75% was good, 25% was wasted or could have been re-tooled. Some of the dialogue or just them staring was tiring after a while. Of the 75%, I'd say a quarter of it was absolutely outstanding. I loved the beginning and showing her grow up. But as she went into London then Belgium, it got to be more and more of the same cliched origin story. The finale was like God of War or something, and I didn't care for the bad guys. And I've never liked Danny Huston, so that didn't help. Still very well done, and the action scenes were refreshing to see compared to the Snyder type of ADD stuff.

Definitely in line with the Marvel mid-tier origin movies, and definitely the best DC movie as of now.
Old 06-08-17, 09:23 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Our Alamo Drafthouse just shut down in April. Pisses me off.
Old 06-08-17, 09:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Oh, and one of the highlights for me was limited use of that ridiculously stupid "theme" they gave Wonder Woman in BvS. My wife commented "is it really a theme if they just use the same chords a couple of times and nothing else?" which is really all it is. Thank goodness it was only used 3 times or so.
Old 06-08-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I let it sink in for a little bit after seeing it Tuesday night, and unfortunately I still don't feel overly positive like some others do about the film. I thought it was the best of the recent DC films, but that's probably not giving it too much praise. I really liked the first third of the film, was still fairly entertained during the second third, but by the last third was feeling pretty bored and ready for it to wrap up. I felt like it fell in the same trap as the other DC films where the villain was uninteresting and shows up during the last act for the big finale. When watching it, it reminded me a lot of Captain America The First Avenger, which I thought was one of the weakest Marvel movies. Maybe it's just the time period or something, but generally I enjoy war movies.

So I don't know. I really wish I would have enjoyed it more because I took the whole family to go see it. My kids seemed to enjoy it (ages 7 & 4) and my wife said it was fun too, so I guess it's just me. Maybe I was just tired from working all day and wasn't in the mood. About half way through the movie I thought to myself that I wish I would have saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 instead

I might try to rent it again once it's out and give it another shot.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 06-08-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Threadbe

Finally saw this tonight. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. Gadot is definitely great as Diana and Pine was good as Steve too. Good chemistry between the two of them. The humor works well and doesn't feel forced like I was worried it might. Also color in a DC film is very much welcomed. A lot of great imagery.

My only minor complaint is I didn't like the slow mo action scenes. They just kind of took me out of the film whenever they happened. Also not that it's necessarily a bad thing but I felt like the film was a bit slower paced than I expected it to be.

Overall definitely a really good film. Not a knock on it at all but I'm not quite sure it lived up to the hype for me. I liked it a lot and it's easily one of the best DC films and obviously better than any of the DCEU films thus far. Not sure if I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best ever though. Honestly I liked Logan more probably this year alone.
Old 06-09-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

My daughter wanted to see it again and we watched it last night. I have to add to the fact that I loved the film. Gadot facial expressions are fucking fantastic... She really did a great job and I take back being one of the people that though she was going to suck it.
Old 06-09-17, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

other than a few good action scenes, I was largely disgusted by the waifer thin plot and plodding script ... don't get the praise of this.
Old 06-09-17, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This movie was a piece of garbage dropped on a pile of shit and sprayed with farts.

First, it was about 30 minutes too long. Second, the dialogue was terrible. Third, the plot was horrid. Fourth, the acting was poor with the exception of Pine who acts like Kirk in everything he does. Fifth, the stop-time fight sequences reminded me of Sucker Punch, and not in a good way (or in the same way, meaning not good). Sixth, Gadot (who is gorgeous) just mugs for the screen practically the entire movie.

I could go on but there is no point. This was bad, bad, bad. And there's no reason to see it in 3D it adds nothing to the presentation.
oh indeed - I found my interest wandering off quite a bit (and more entertained by the popcorn, m&m's, swedish fish, & sour candy).

Pine's only redemption as an actor was 'Hell or High Water' but he's stuck on auto pilot most of the time. The only actor/character that seemed to be having any fun or embellishment was Lucy Davis as Etta Candy. Danny Houston (an actor I've always liked) was utterly wasted as General Ludendorff and came across as an utter bore. Everytime Doctor Poison entered the scene I was like "oh look, it's 'Phantomness of the Opera'"

I didn't mind some of the action, but by the time the final action scene came lumbering along, I was rolling my eyes so far back into my head I could see my brain. And yes, the 3D was pointless.

I had such high hopes and from the positive reviews and ravings, I left annoyed and thoroughly disappointed.
Old 06-09-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This movie was a piece of garbage dropped on a pile of shit and sprayed with farts.

First, it was about 30 minutes too long. Second, the dialogue was terrible. Third, the plot was horrid. Fourth, the acting was poor with the exception of Pine who acts like Kirk in everything he does. Fifth, the stop-time fight sequences reminded me of Sucker Punch, and not in a good way (or in the same way, meaning not good). Sixth, Gadot (who is gorgeous) just mugs for the screen practically the entire movie.

I could go on but there is no point. This was bad, bad, bad. And there's no reason to see it in 3D it adds nothing to the presentation.
Old 06-09-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I enjoyed the film. Gadot and Pine were great, and there was some good chemistry between them, and some nice comedic moments through the film, especially during the London sequence.

I do think it was predictable; I saw the "God Killer" twist and the identity of Ares almost immediately. Also, the end fight devolves into a basic "flying superheros fight" a la Man of Steel.

My favorite sequence was probably the No Man's Land bit, which mixed action, plot development, and character development into one.
Old 06-09-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Old 06-09-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I enjoyed the film. Gadot and Pine were great, and there was some good chemistry between them, and some nice comedic moments through the film, especially during the London sequence.

I do think it was predictable; I saw the "God Killer" twist and the identity of Ares almost immediately. Also, the end fight devolves into a basic "flying superheros fight" a la Man of Steel.

My favorite sequence was probably the No Man's Land bit, which mixed action, plot development, and character development into one.
Now that you mention it, the end fights of Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, BvS, Suicide Sand Wonder Woman are all basically the same.
Old 06-09-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I like this one:

I saw this the other day SO DAMN COOL

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.