Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-25-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Agreed. It's my main complaint with the DC movies so far. The final battles are just long slogs with debris flying everywhere, and no good way to get an idea of where anyone is relative to each other or the area they are in. It's like the environment just disappears, and they are fighting in a cloud.
I had somehow never gotten around to watching this until this week in preparation for the sequel and I thought was crazy for not thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread given the almost universal praise it had gotten. Maybe a victim of heightened expectations. I felt the twist was not only relatively pedestrian, there was also almost no time for it to affect anyone. Like WW has this crisis where she feels like everything she's believed in is wrong and then the big bad conveniently shows up wanting to kill her friends so it's obvious what she needs to do. I'm not expecting huge twists in a superhero movie but if you're going to bring the concept up, I expect you to do something with it.
Old 12-28-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

What a letdown. Clunky story, dialogue recycled from 'The Matrix' and CG worthy of a SyFy Original.

Jenkins should stick to small stories. Hard to believe she made this and 'Monster.'
Old 12-29-20, 09:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
What a letdown. Clunky story, dialogue recycled from 'The Matrix' and CG worthy of a SyFy Original.

Jenkins should stick to small stories. Hard to believe she made this and 'Monster.'
are you talking about this (the original) or the sequel, 1984?
Old 12-31-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

If anything, WW84 made me love Wonder Woman (2017) even more. The latter is a noble effort filled with not only great character moments but mature, steady direction and a driving narrative. You loved Diana and Steve (and Etta and mismatched ethnic stereotype brigade) and wanted more of them. OK the film dips after No Man's Land, but it sticks the landing.

WW84 should have been strangled at birth. Green Lantern was a better movie.
Old 01-01-21, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Not for me. GL is still the movie I least want to revisit - and haven't since my first viewing.

WW84 is definitely flawed, messy, sloppy, and a disappointment. I agree with a lot of the criticisms (but not with the level of vitriol being slung it's way).

However I'd be lying if I said I didn't mightily enjoy good chunks of it in spite of all that.

I'm listening to Zimmer's score right now, and it's still just as good as the first time I heard it.

The film may fall far short of the sum of it's parts, but some of those parts are why I've alway been a movie buff- and why I grew up a DC kid.

I'm hoping they kick out the Bd sooner than later, because I'm kind of anxious to revisit it now, in a better venue (that is not hooked up to wi-fi) and with full on diminished expectations.
I'm very curious what, if anything, may be magnified or diminished then.
Old 01-01-21, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Can the WW84 talk be taken to the relevant thread?
Old 01-01-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If anything, WW84 made me love Wonder Woman (2017) even more. The latter is a noble effort filled with not only great character moments but mature, steady direction and a driving narrative. You loved Diana and Steve (and Etta and mismatched ethnic stereotype brigade) and wanted more of them. OK the film dips after No Man's Land, but it sticks the landing.

Again, having watched 2017 right before the sequel for the first time, I'm surprised how much praise it got. It was good, and as you say much better put together than the sequel, but the resolution is hokey at best and it feels like they didn't know which theme to follow: WW being naive in thinking that Ares was behind everything and putting an end to him would stop the war, and WW being right. In the end, she was right, and everyone was hugging, which kind of hurt the theme to me (as I mentioned in the sequel thread, what happened during WW2? The Cold War?).

I'll also admit the casting of Ares seemed out of place: one, it was done so you could have this big surprise but the surprise was obvious, and second, it baffles me that they still used the actor and they didn't treat it as some kind of disguise. And then there was no fallout for that character being who he was afterwards.

If I missed something plot-wise that explains it, my apologies, I only watched it once.