Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
19.85%
19.85%
32.82%
11.45%
9.16%
1.53%
3.05%
0%
0.76%
0.76%
0.76%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-11-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just got back from seeing it and I have to say that DC has finally made a movie that hit with me. For all the criticism that Gadot got for being too skinny for the part she was absolutely stunning and owned the role. The origin was my favorite part of the movie. Maybe cause I'm not a DC guy and haven't read the retelling of her origin hundreds of times like I have with the Marvel characters.

Negatives. They didn't tell us how the German's found the island. Anyone that happens to sail or fly into that area will come upon the island. The no man's land sequence had horrible fighting special effects. It's like they just ran out of time to make that part look good. It felt like the second half of the movie was very Captain America: TFA. I thought "Steve" dying in that plane was a bit too much like a CA tie in.
Old 06-11-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Yeah, I found it odd how the island was found in the first place but also seemed to be easily invaded. I thought it was supposed to be well hidden and that Steve crashing there was just a fluke. I didn't think the Germans would be able to just break through though. I thought that would be addressed more.

Originally Posted by E Unit
I was the opposite, I really enjoyed the origin part since that last never been shown before. As soon as Chris Pine's plane came in, it started going down the cliched route.
I think the problem to me is none of the Amazonians were very interesting other than Diana in the opening. I just wasn't that into seeing her childhood on the island I guess.
Old 06-11-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked seeing Themyscira, especially since it was so beautiful to look at. I think her childhood story could have been told a little better; if we're talking about cliche's, the entire "she shouldn't learn to fight but does anyway" stuff seemed right up there. Especially since her mother seems to give in so quickly, not only to teaching her but Diana leaving as well.
Old 06-11-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, I found it odd how the island was found in the first place but also seemed to be easily invaded. I thought it was supposed to be well hidden and that Steve crashing there was just a fluke. I didn't think the Germans would be able to just break through though. I thought that would be addressed more.
The impression I got was that this "world war" was encroaching on their part of the world. So prior to that conflict, there would no reason for anyone to happen upon the island.

And if they did, the implication I felt was that the Amazons would have taken care of them. They weren't unaware of the existence of the outside world, after all.
Old 06-11-17, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really liked it! I'm just worried about seeing her in JL. I'm afraid she'll get lost in that ensemble. Would rather much see her next in WWII.
Old 06-11-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Hype
Really liked it! I'm just worried about seeing her in JL. I'm afraid she'll get lost in that ensemble. Would rather much see her next in WWII.
I'm doubtful we'll ever see her in the past again.

Also, don't discard the idea they'll beef up her role during the additional photography/reshoots or w/e term people want to use, this summer.
Old 06-11-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it this morning. Thought it was pretty good. Some great action scenes despite the smaller budget.

Hopefully the DCU keeps improving.
Old 06-11-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it this morning. Thought it was pretty good. Some great action scenes despite the smaller budget.

Hopefully the DCU keeps improving.
Old 06-12-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Not origins specifically but I think that Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad are both pretty guilty of just throwing the audience in and expecting the history of the characters to be known with little set up.
Not really. We were thrust into a living and breathing universe, which is a far cry from "not getting origin stories" or expecting the audience to know comic history. I don't need to see what happened to Robin to know that it affected Batman greatly and is reflected in this grisled character at the end of his hero days. I like it, at least in regards to Batman. We've had a tv series, cartoons, animated movies and 7 Batman movies. It's not like people don't know who Batman & Robin are.

Origin stories are kinda goofy that way anyway. Supervillains don't seem to exist in these worlds until our hero takes up the mantle.
Old 06-12-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Origin stories are kinda goofy that way anyway. Supervillains don't seem to exist in these worlds until our hero takes up the mantle.

Actually most of the time they are there, but in the deep shadows and usually the hero flushes them out or the Supervillian's rise corresponds with the hero's,sometimes even as answer to the hero. And then you have a Ledger Joker that would go after Batman specifically because he took up the mantle.
Old 06-12-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
Actually most of the time they are there, but in the deep shadows and usually the hero flushes them out or the Supervillian's rise corresponds with the hero's,sometimes even as answer to the hero. And then you have a Ledger Joker that would go after Batman specifically because he took up the mantle.
Not only that, but Batman '89, Batman pretty much created The Joker. And, of course, vice versa.

Batman: You killed my parents.
The Joker: What? What? What are you talking about?
Batman: I made you, you made me first.
The Joker: Hey, bat-brain, I mean, I was a kid when I killed your parents. I mean, I say "I made you" you gotta say "you made me." I mean, how childish can you get?
Old 06-12-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got back seeing this with my three teen daughters, we all liked it a lot.

I dont really want to nitpick that much becuase I was just happy to see a DC movie done halfway decent at this point, and it exceeded all expectations. My daughters are not comic book fans, so they enjoyed it on its own as a standalone movie. I thought the lead actress was terrific.

Hopefully Joss Whedon can save Justice league.
Old 06-13-17, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Not really. We were thrust into a living and breathing universe, which is a far cry from "not getting origin stories" or expecting the audience to know comic history. I don't need to see what happened to Robin to know that it affected Batman greatly and is reflected in this grisled character at the end of his hero days. I like it, at least in regards to Batman. We've had a tv series, cartoons, animated movies and 7 Batman movies. It's not like people don't know who Batman & Robin are.

I guess I disagree. To me it just felt like lazy storytelling to thrust the audience into an existing universe assuming people just know what's happened in the past. I don't need every aspect fleshed out or a new Batman origin but I still felt like a lot of it could have been done better. Plus by glossing over some things good opportunities were missed to tell interesting stories that haven't been explored on film before (Robin's death for example).
Old 06-13-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Saw it for a third time yesterday.

Still wish a little more time was spent on Themyscira but that's just because I enjoyed that part of the film. The Final Act/Reveal was still one the film's weakest aspects but it was a bit easier to sit through having seen the film twice before.
Old 06-13-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,151 Posts

I still haven't seen it but I'm still blown away and love it.
Old 06-13-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I disagree. To me it just felt like lazy storytelling to thrust the audience into an existing universe assuming people just know what's happened in the past. I don't need every aspect fleshed out or a new Batman origin but I still felt like a lot of it could have been done better. Plus by glossing over some things good opportunities were missed to tell interesting stories that haven't been explored on film before (Robin's death for example).
NOT singling you out... I just happen to be thinking about this character development issue because yesterday I saw a youtube channel video talking about what the Marvel Netflix shows could do better to be more like the Marvel films. Well one of the video big issues was how the Netflix shows take too much time to flesh out characters. huh? Isn't that a good thing?

It just seems if shows/movies take time to flesh characters out, people complain...if they don't flesh them out ...people complain. People are never happy.
Old 06-13-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It just seems if shows/movies take time to flesh characters out, people complain...if they don't flesh them out ...people complain. People are never happy.
True dat.
Old 06-13-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, i mean the obvious answer is obviously every one has a different opinion. And we are comparing two different things given 10-13 hours of a TV season versus a 2 hour movie. Plus, the complaint about the Marvel Netflix shows aren't universal, especially since there's a difference in quality of the shows themselves. The general feeling I thought was that people were fine with how Daredevil played out but something like Luke Cage just didn't have enough story to tell and felt stretched out.
Old 06-13-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

Hopefully Joss Whedon can save Justice league.
You've seen it already? How do you know it needs saving?
Old 06-13-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You've seen it already? How do you know it needs saving?
Because Zack Snyder. How much more evidence could anyone POSSIBLY need?
Old 06-13-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,495 Likes on 944 Posts

It's a good thing they come into existence. MeTV is showing the 1950s Superman show. How much effort do you think it takes for Superman to defeat bank robbers and jewel thieves?
Old 06-13-17, 02:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That's all the evidence I need.
Old 06-13-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robodad
because zack snyder. How much more evidence could anyone possibly need?
this
Old 06-13-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Originally Posted by Supermallet
That's all the evidence I need.
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
this

Fair enough. Just know, Ya'll suck as much as Snyder Sucks at DC films.
Old 06-13-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

enjoyed it but found it tough to live up to the hype. a little cap America 1 with thor gods.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.