Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,336 Likes on 761 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

When I worked at the studios I would go to early screenings (Before the score and special effects were added - way before post.. Why spend more money if it's going to go nowhere or need to be re-shot in some way?). What they wanted was good honest feedback even though the producer and director was in the room. They would also propose alternate endings other than the one we saw. It was actually something to be taken very seriously and you could possibly change a lot of lives by the words you use at that screener. It wasn't just movies but TV pilots as well. The only ones I really remember that i gave negative feedback was Hamlet (Mel Gibson) and Nothing But Trouble (Aykroyd). The only TV pilot I remember seeing with for The Flash (1990). Didn't care for it at all. Anyhow all 3 of these things were released so I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't care for 'em.
Old 08-02-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

Discovery is taking a tax write off on this movie and the Scoob! sequel they also killed. Because of that, the movies are 100% dead and will never ever be seen.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...aa5dee56334940

Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Doing so, however, would mean that Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie — no HBO Max debut, no sale to another studio.
Old 08-02-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Sucks, but whatever. I was looking forward to this but it is what it is.
Old 08-02-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The axe of Zaslav swings true! Hope he keeps chopping and gets rid of more. The twitter crowd can bitch and moan but the general public had no idea this even existed, same with Blue Beatle(lol) which should go next. Aquaman 2 stands to make good money but everything after that should be on the scrapheap. Make Joker 2, and make Reeve's Batman universe your focus for awhile.
Its a bad look to complete a movie that should be relatively easy to make into a decent movie because it is so bad it shouldn’t even see the light of day. Not something to inspire confidence in the brand.
Old 08-02-22, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Its a bad look to complete a movie that should be relatively easy to make into a decent movie because it is so bad it shouldn’t even see the light of day. Not something to inspire confidence in the brand.
They’ll probably make more money from the tax write off then anything else they can do with it.
Old 08-02-22, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 227 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Looking at that costume in the pic a few posts up, it's probably for the best.
Agreed. That costume looks like something you would find at Party City.
Old 08-02-22, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by whotony:
bchbdaddy (08-04-22), Toddarino (08-03-22)
Old 08-02-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Costumes almost always look like shit out of context and not in action. Not a good way to judge something.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

My favorite part from the wrap article
Insiders added that studio brass loves the film’s directors and star, and are actively planning to work with them soon.
Thanks for burning through $90 million bucks. We can't wait to work with you again.
Deftones (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
They’ll probably make more money from the tax write off then anything else they can do with it.
Sure but it shouldn’t have gotten this far. That’s even worse - no one realized it was bad until a screening?
Old 08-02-22, 08:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So…worse than the Joel Schumacher ones? Really? This is all pretty damn laughable.
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
majorjoe23 (08-02-22), Sonny Corinthos (08-03-22)
Old 08-02-22, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

This is a new regime, rather than put out content they deem to be subpar they're scrapping it - and I'm here for it. I don't care for Grace Randolph but I think she's right, everything after Aquaman 2 is gone. The biggest casualty of course is never seeing Keaton as Batman, he'll never do it again even if it's offered... just unfortunate. But as Jack said, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.
Old 08-02-22, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Sure but it shouldn’t have gotten this far. That’s even worse - no one realized it was bad until a screening?
It can be really hard to judge a movie until there's at least an assembly cut. Before that, you basically have the script to go off of, and that might be fine. Then there's just dozens of shots for each scene, with dozens of takes for each, shot and screened out of order as dailies. You need someone to start hacking it together into a coherent story before you can get an idea of what the final product will be like. Even then, there's stories of films being "saved in the edit," where editorial decisions can make or break a film. So it's not surprising that they waited until a screening of the latest cut before deciding whether there was something salvageable there or not.

As for whether this film was nearly finished, while they had a screening, it's possible most, if not all, of the VFX were not yet completed, and that's a giant portion of the budget for modern superhero movies. They maybe didn't want to chase good money after bad by paying to finish it up with VFX, score, etc.
Old 08-02-22, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
My favorite part from the wrap article

Thanks for burning through $90 million bucks. We can't wait to work with you again.
Oh you spent one to two years of your life working on this? We're going to trash it publicly (well, via "leaks) so that we don't look bad cancelling it, then take the tax write off because we think that's a better deal than finishing your work and putting it up on our site. But yeah, can't wait for your next pitch.
Old 08-02-22, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

I would be nervous if I was on the production crew of Blue Beetle. Not sure how far they are into filming. Zaslav may not deem that movie worthy of a theatrical release and throw it into the trash.

Old 08-02-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
So…worse than the Joel Schumacher ones? Really? This is all pretty damn laughable.
Yeah, I don’t see how it can be that bad.

And not even giving it a Blu-ray release? That’s absurd. I was sorta interested in this one and not much else.
John Pannozzi (08-03-22)
Old 08-02-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

It's about damaging the Batman brand. A failed Batgirl movie could permanently ruin the character and make her a laughingstock if the movie is that bad. They had to wait years before using Catwoman on screen again after the Halle Berry disaster.
Old 08-02-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They had to wait years before using Catwoman on screen again after the Halle Berry disaster.
Only 8 years. But point taken.

How odd that there was only a single year between the Catwoman monstrosity and the masterful Batman Begins.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
John Pannozzi (08-03-22), majorjoe23 (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's about damaging the Batman brand. A failed Batgirl movie could permanently ruin the character and make her a laughingstock if the movie is that bad. They had to wait years before using Catwoman on screen again after the Halle Berry disaster.
Uhhhhh no. Batman will always be popular and people will always see Batman movies. Nobody is going to not see the next Batman movie if this one was shit.
Old 08-02-22, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Uhhhhh no. Batman will always be popular and people will always see Batman movies. Nobody is going to not see the next Batman movie if this one was shit.
8 years between Batman/ Robin and Batman Begins. That's a long time in the entertainment world. That's the equivalent of like 40 years in hell...😆😆😆
Old 08-03-22, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh you spent one to two years of your life working on this? We're going to trash it publicly (well, via "leaks) so that we don't look bad cancelling it, then take the tax write off because we think that's a better deal than finishing your work and putting it up on our site. But yeah, can't wait for your next pitch.
I mean.. Morbius made money.. so what's the harm in releasing it in the next fiscal year after the write off? That's just gravy. Of course, Sony had No Way Home to offset that.
Old 08-03-22, 12:29 AM

Received 534 Likes on 381 Posts

They also shelved that Wonder Woman pilot back in 2011. That show wasn't good. And cancelling it probably saved the character for the DCU movies.

You can watch it here:

https://archive.org/details/wonder.w...cr.xvidt00ng0d
Old 08-03-22, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I mean.. Morbius made money.. so what's the harm in releasing it in the next fiscal year after the write off? That's just gravy. Of course, Sony had No Way Home to offset that.
Because if they release it theatrically, they'll have to drop at least another $50M in prints and advertising. No point throwing more money after bad money. And it still completely damages the brand.

If they do it on HBO Max, there's basically norecourse for financial recoup, plus it still completely damages the brand.

It's a lose-lose situation for Warner Discovery, who do NOT subscribe "In for a penny, in for a pound" ethos. And that's probably a good thing.
Old 08-03-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,347 Likes on 2,138 Posts

I had no interest in this before. I gotta be honest, I’m kind of interested in seeing it now.
The following 3 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
Bandoman (08-03-22), John Pannozzi (08-03-22), rennervision (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 09:57 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.