Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Sounds like Whedon got more interested in heading back to Marvel and maybe doing the Black Widow movie.

And DC are seriously desperate if they are willing to go to discussion after a twitter message with a writer who seems to mainly write serious stories dealing with feminist ideals and racial issues. The last thing DC needs is to bring people on board who will only continue down the road of dark and sullen movies and stories. These are COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS. Let the audience actually have fun for fucks sake.

You know i have continually hoped that DC/Warners would course correct and get their shit together, but its gotten to the point where i simply cannot root for them anymore. They just seem to be grabbing for anything that might give them a chance to catch up with Marvel. They blew that chance the moment they started shitting out movies without a cohesive game plan. I don't know how much credence there is to the rumor that they were trying to get Nolan back involved and practically giving him unlimited control, but i doubt it would ever happen. Too much has changed and i don't think he is either interested, or particularly happy with the way they have handled their properties.
Old 02-23-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I guess all it takes to be considered for the job is a tweet?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
wow. So can anyone just tweet them that they want a job and be taken seriously? It doesn’t surprise me all that much because they probably want no name talent that they can make push whatever crappy agenda they have for these films rather than names who actually have their own ideas.
Old 02-23-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Cant be any worse than Joss sitting there for a year with nothing to show for it.
Old 02-23-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Per wikipedia:

Themes
Much of Gay's written work deals with the analysis and deconstruction of feminist and racial issues through the lens of her personal experiences with race, gender identity, and sexuality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxane_Gay
Old 02-23-18, 12:12 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Sounds right up Bluelitespecial's alley.
Old 02-23-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
Sounds like Whedon got more interested in heading back to Marvel and maybe doing the Black Widow movie.
Given the spousal abuse allegations, I doubt Marvel (DISNEY), will allow him to get anywhere near it.
Old 02-23-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

So now cheating on your wife is abuse?
Old 02-23-18, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Given the spousal abuse allegations, I doubt Marvel (DISNEY), will allow him to get anywhere near it.
There aren't any spousal abuse allegations. He fucked around and wasn't the "feminist" people claimed he was.
Old 02-23-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Cant be any worse than Joss sitting there for a year with nothing to show for it.
I’m guessing it’s more along the lines of he had some but WB probably shot them down. Sorry I don’t buy for a second that someone of Whedon’s stature pitched a film and had zero ideas.

Even if he was having a hard time crafting a story I’m sure had he really wanted he could have brought in co-writers. If he was having difficulty it’s probably because things are such a jumbled mess that no one knows what they can and can’t do.

Like a good example if he maybe wanted to incorporate something from The Killing Joke being that’s one of the most known stories involving the character, would he have used Leto Joker, whoever the new guy is who’s playing him in the solo film, or someone entirely new? That’s just an example I heard someone else bring up but it is true. You could say the same about Batman. If he was to have a cameo who would it have been? Affleck or whatever pour soul replaces him or someone completely different. Same with Gordon. Is Simmons coming back or is he abandoning ship? When you don’t even have your major characters cast five films into your supposed universe you’ve got problems. Everything at DC seems to lack a clear direction that it’s probably hard to write for.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-23-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

didn't know Whedon was accused of something
Old 02-23-18, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nando820
didn't know Whedon was accused of something
He wasn't really "accused" of anything. His ex-wife wrote a piece about how he was a cheater. https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-...kai-cole-says/
Old 02-23-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
He wasn't really "accused" of anything. His ex-wife wrote a piece about how he was a cheater. https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-...kai-cole-says/
...and if you read CDAN, it gets a bit more .
Old 02-24-18, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m guessing it’s more along the lines of he had some but WB probably shot them down. Sorry I don’t buy for a second that someone of Whedon’s stature pitched a film and had zero ideas.

Even if he was having a hard time crafting a story I’m sure had he really wanted he could have brought in co-writers. If he was having difficulty it’s probably because things are such a jumbled mess that no one knows what they can and can’t do.

Like a good example if he maybe wanted to incorporate something from The Killing Joke being that’s one of the most known stories involving the character, would he have used Leto Joker, whoever the new guy is who’s playing him in the solo film, or someone entirely new? That’s just an example I heard someone else bring up but it is true. You could say the same about Batman. If he was to have a cameo who would it have been? Affleck or whatever pour soul replaces him or someone completely different. Same with Gordon. Is Simmons coming back or is he abandoning ship? When you don’t even have your major characters cast five films into your supposed universe you’ve got problems. Everything at DC seems to lack a clear direction that it’s probably hard to write for.
Old 02-27-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh.

DC Films and Warner Bros. are in no hurry to move forward with “Batgirl” now that writer-director Joss Whedon has stepped away, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

There are no imminent plans to attach a new filmmaker to the “Batman” spinooff after Whedon exited last week, the insider said.
Old 02-27-18, 12:04 PM

Sigh.
This was from The Wrap: https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-dc-batgirl-movie/

More interesting from the article:

In addition, a cloud looms over Warner Bros. because of the lawsuit by the Department of Justice against AT&T’s $85 billion bid to buy studio parent company Time Warner.

If the merger fails, an individual close to the company told TheWrap that Time Warner would likely be broken up into parts and sold separately as Warner Bros., HBO and Turner — leaving the fate of DC Comics a bit up in the air.
Old 02-27-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney buys DC!
Old 02-27-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney buys DC!
This would not surprise me at this point
Old 02-27-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Disney buys DC!
In 50 years our souls would be owned by Disney
Old 02-27-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Disney buys DC!
^I'm fine with this...
I remember being one who said Disney buying Marvel and Star Wars was a GOOD thing.
Old 02-27-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

If the merger fails, an individual close to the company told TheWrap that Time Warner would likely be broken up into parts and sold separately as Warner Bros., HBO and Turner — leaving the fate of DC Comics a bit up in the air.
I'm pretty sure DC is under Warner Brothers.
Old 04-09-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

APRIL 09, 2018 12:32pm PT by Borys Kit
'Batgirl' Movie Back On, Now With 'Bumblebee' Writer (Exclusive)

Christina Hodson will now write the script that was previoulsy being worked on by Joss Whedon.

Warner Bros. is lighting up the Bat-signal for Batgirl once again.

Two months after Joss Whedon left the Batgirl movie project, the studio is moving ahead on developing a new movie project based on the DC Entertainment heroine.

Christina Hodson, who wrote the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee, has been tapped to pen a new script featuring Barbra Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon.

Barbra Gordon is the most established version of the character, who was initially introduced in 1961 as Betty Kane. But the character was revamped in 1967 when television executives wanted to attract a female audience to the Batman TV series, then faltering in its third season. Yvonne Craig played the character whose last live-action big-screen appearance was with Alicia Silverstone in Joel Schumacher 1997 movie, Batman & Robin (the character makes a CG cameo in Ready Player One).

Whedon came on to the project with great fanfare in 2017. Fans were excited that the female empowerment icon, second only to Wonder Woman in the DC stable, would be in the hands of the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But by February, 2018, Whedon, by his own account, had failed to come up with a story.

Hodson wrote the 2017 Warners thriller Unforgettable, which starred Rosario Dawson and Katherine Heigl, and has been a player in a couple of writers rooms, Transformers (which led to her nabbing the Bumblebee gig) and Ology, the franchise Paramount is developing based on the YA fictional encyclopedias from Templar Publishing

Hodson has already written the Batgirl character, having help develop a feature project based on the all-female group Birds of Prey.

She is repped by CAA and Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment.
Old 04-23-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FVariety%2Fvideos%2F10155408091497197%2F&show_text=1&width=560" width="560" height="407" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 04-23-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's because of DC/WB!!!!!
Old 04-23-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

I almost got the impression (based on his stammering and inability to make much sense) that he felt bad about helming a female superhero in the current climate. Like he felt he would get shit in the industry for being a male taking on a female focused movie. Could be completely wrong about it but just seems like it based on that interview.
Old 06-23-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner Bros. Eyeing Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley For Batgirl

With Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker set to conclude Disney’s Sequel Trilogy and wrap up the stories of Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren (at least for now), Daisy Ridley’s going to be available for a major role in a feature film for the first time since she made it big. When she debuted as Rey back in 2015’s The Force Awakens, she impressed critics and audiences alike with her tough-as-nails demeanor and fighting skills. Now, it’s looking like those very same qualities could be just what Warner Bros. are after for their Batgirl.

We’re hearing from our sources that the studio are very close to announcing their casting for the role, with Daisy Ridley being one of their top choices (Katherine Langford is said to be another one). And though nothing’s been confirmed just yet, this certainly sounds like a smart pick to me, as I think Ridley’s proven many times over that she’s got what it takes to step into Barbara Gordon’s Batsuit.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...idley-batgirl/

As it mentioned, Katherine Langford also up for the role:
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-batgirl-dceu/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.