Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 03:58 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Guys, just because Spider-Man did it, doesn't mean the same will happen with Batman. I've been hearing about this since this morning. Lets not make it a thing. It's just studios starting to finally acknowledge the multiverse elements from comics and using it as a tool. Nothing more.
Old 03-03-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I mean the multiverse is essentially confirmed for DC though. The Flash will have both Affleck and Keaton as Batman. Pattinson’s Batman though I think is going to remain separate.
Old 03-03-22, 05:16 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I mean the multiverse is essentially confirmed for DC though. The Flash will have both Affleck and Keaton as Batman. Pattinson’s Batman though I think is going to remain separate.
Yeah that's what I mean. WB is using the multiverse as a tool to have both a more realistic Batman and a fantastical Batman all at the same time. Doesn't mean a big crossover will happen.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 04-25-22, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

There is a new report that Batgirl might change gears and move to theaters first.

Old 04-25-22, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Ride some of the energy from The Batman.
Old 04-26-22, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

They need to, stupid not to even try. Especially if Keaton is in it.
majorjoe23 (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's believed WB has holes in its theatrical schedule thanks to various delays and this is Discovery's solution to the problem.
Old 04-26-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t really know why this was ever intended for HBO Max to begin with. A character out of the Bat Family featuring Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman should be bigger than a straight to streaming release.
majorjoe23 (04-26-22)
Old 04-26-22, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

More proof Warner has absolutely no idea what to do with their DC characters.
Old 04-26-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Seriously, they put two Suicide Squad movies and a Birds of prey out and we're going to relegate Batgirl to HBOMax? Kinda bizarre choice.
Old 04-26-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Why is everyone surprised? HBO MAX was the original plan. Talk is whether to also have it in theaters.
Old 04-27-22, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Why is everyone surprised? HBO MAX was the original plan. Talk is whether to also have it in theaters.
We know, and it was a stupid plan from day one.
Old 04-27-22, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it’s not that I didn’t know it was intended for HBO Max. It was just dumb to put it there and bypass a theatrical release in the first place. Especially considering some of the names involved (Michael Keaton, J.K. Simmons).

Plus while not the biggest character Batgirl is a character you should be able to make fairly popular if done well. It’s not like she’s some random b list character.
Old 04-27-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

There's real distribution and marketing costs to releasing a film theatrically, and a studio isn't going to commit to that if they don't think the film will recoup the investment on that alone. Think of all the films that were meant to be theatrical, but ended up going straight to video outside of a token theatrical run in one city/theater to fulfill a contractual obligation.

Not to mention that WB had tried and failed with a theatrical Batgirl before, after hiring Joss Whedon to helm one in 2017. I also think that WB may have felt the CW show Batwoman may have stole some of Batgirl's thunder; it's not like they're racing to make a Green Arrow or Supergirl movie.

Additionally, the way the various divisions have their money budgeted out means that WB maybe didn't have money for a theatrical Batgirl, but HBO Max had money to make an original "exclusive" movie for its service to draw in/maintain subscribers. It's no different that Netflix making big-budget films like Bright streaming-only.

Here's talk about how, in 2020, they lined up plans to make 2 DC movies a year as HBO-Max exclusives:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/b...es-movies.html
The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.In addition, DC Films, which is part of Warner Bros., will work with filmmakers to develop movie offshoots — TV series that will run on HBO Max and interconnect with their big-screen endeavors.
Now, it's not exactly clear where the adjective "riskier" came from, since it's not a quote, but it seems like it came from Hamada, not the author of the article. People might disagree with that assessment for Batgirl, and one might even suggest it's sexist, but it's what the head of DC Films considered such a film project to be back in 2020. They could afford to take a risk as a HBO Max streaming film, but not for the added investment of a theatrical release.

To me, the idea that they're now going to release Batgirl theatrically likely speaks to just how well the film is turning out. It's like how Toy Story 2 was originally intended to be a DTV sequel, but got upgraded to theatrical release after Disney saw the results. It may mess with the budget across divisions though, since HBO Max is now "down" an exclusive film after spending the time/money producing one.
IBJoel (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 10:29 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Exactly. This was created with the purpose of being exclusive content on HBO Max. Keep in mind it's budget and scope are also probably in line with a streaming platform and not a blockbuster movie. If they've seen some of it and are blown away by it, sure take a chance on it being a theater release. But on principal alone it's a pretty erratic move to take a movie made on a streaming budget and throw into in the theater.

Opinions on the character's star power are a moot point. That's not what's at play here. They were making this with the purpose to drive HBO Max numbers / give value to HBO Max customers. Just because Keaton is in it doesn't mean it should be automatically a theater movie no matter what. If it's good, go for it. But the confusion here kind of amuses me.
The following 2 users liked this post by New Lurker:
IBJoel (04-27-22), Why So Blu? (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker
Exactly. This was created with the purpose of being exclusive content on HBO Max. Keep in mind it's budget and scope are also probably in line with a streaming platform and not a blockbuster movie. If they've seen some of it and are blown away by it, sure take a chance on it being a theater release. But on principal alone it's a pretty erratic move to take a movie made on a streaming budget and throw into in the theater.
Well, streaming movie budgets can be insane. I already mentioned Bright on Netflix, which reportedly had a budget of $90-100 million. Batgirl reportedly has a budget of $70 million. In contrast, the first Deadpool had a budget of $58 million. Joker had a budget of $55-70 million. So I don't doubt that Batgirl will look just fine in a theater.
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/bat...ith-streaming/

However, the promotion and distribution budget for a theatrical release can easily be equal to the production budget, if not higher. So you're no longer just committing $70 million to the film, but $140 million or more.

What's crazy is that WB/HBO Max referred to this film and Blue Beatle as "mid-budget" films.
https://theplaylist.net/blue-beetle-...ives-20210609/
Old 04-27-22, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

What's crazy is that WB/HBO Max referred to this film and Blue Beatle as "mid-budget" films.
https://theplaylist.net/blue-beetle-...ives-20210609/
Mid-budget films in the late 90s cost $40-60M, so that tracks. And in fact is on the low end when inflation is taken into account ($45M from 1995-2022)
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Jay G. (04-27-22), TheMovieman (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The last Bat-project to be upgraded from direct to video to theatrical was Mask of the Phantasm. It didn't do good numbers at first, but has become a fan favorite over the years. Maybe they're hoping for more of this.
Old 04-27-22, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The last Bat-project to be upgraded from direct to video to theatrical was Mask of the Phantasm. It didn't do good numbers at first, but has become a fan favorite over the years. Maybe they're hoping for more of this.
If only the MotP production crew were involved with modern day DCEU projects. At least Bruce Timm is still involved with some of the animated DC DTV stuff.
Old 04-27-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh.. Bruce Timm has lost some of his touch in my opinion. I’m a huge fan of the DCAU and things he was involved with back in the day, but he’s made some weird/questionable decisions on some of the more recent animated movies he’s been involved with.
IBJoel (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Eh.. Bruce Timm has lost some of his touch in my opinion. I’m a huge fan of the DCAU and things he was involved with back in the day, but he’s made some weird/questionable decisions on some of the more recent animated movies he’s been involved with.
The last one he did that was officially part of his Timmverse continuity was pretty good. I wasn’t big on the Batman Harley one tho.
Old 04-27-22, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
The last one he did that was officially part of his Timmverse continuity was pretty good. I wasn’t big on the Batman Harley one tho.
Which one was that?
Old 04-27-22, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The Harley and Batman one had a weird vibe. I probably would have enjoyed it more if they had cut out the stupid farting scene.
Old 04-27-22, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The more disturbing part of that one is the sex scene with Nightwing and Harley. It’s not actually seen obviously, but it’s an awkward scene. She has him chained up and it’s basically implied that she has her way with him.

I don’t completely hate that movie, but that scene along with the farting scene in the Batmobile and some other jokes that don’t land make it weird.
Old 04-28-22, 02:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony
Which one was that?
Justice League vs The Fatal Five was the DTV that does and doesn’t take place in his Timmverse series continuity. It’s one of the better DC DTV releases ar any rate.
IBJoel (04-28-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.