Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

I read a few comments saying that "I don't feel Cameron's presence on that trailer" Seriously? It's a 2 1/2 minute piece of marketing. Plus, this is not a James Cameron movie. He didn't direct it. He wasn't on set. It's a Tim Miller movie. If you don't like Tim Miller's style or didn't like Deadpool, then that's on you.

All Cameron did from what I understand was help form the writers room, maybe helped come up with a loose outline of the movie with his writers, the screenwriters took care of the rest and then just got a Producing credit.

A "Producer" is basically a day to day manager on set. He/She doesn't actually film anything or edit anything. So of course you aren't going to see his "Presence"

He's been busy working on Avatar, so the main Producer who would be on set day to day is David Ellison.
Old 05-24-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

And yet plenty of people have hope because James Cameron is involved (plus even the trailer mentions James Cameron's "return"). So what should people expect? Personally, I agree with you, it's kind of like Christopher Nolan's "involvement" with Man of Steel (i.e. not very much as he was off making Interstellar at the time).
Old 05-24-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Truth be told I know a lot of people like Cameron, but I don't think having him attached to films equates to greatness. Since Titanic he's hardly made any films and both it and Avatar were really more about the spectacle more than anything. I think his last good film really was T2. Even like True Lies I find has aged pretty badly.
Old 05-24-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think his last good film really was T2. Even like True Lies I find has aged pretty badly.
This
Old 05-25-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The teaser trailer makes me think this will seem like a movie hybrid of "T3: Rise of the Machines" mixed with "The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Senior Citizen Years"
Old 05-25-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't really know what to expect. I wasn't much of a fan of the last three Terminators (though I liked them more than most). I'll sit back and hope for the best. I would love to be in awe of a Terminator movie again. But I'm also not 10 years old watching T2 for the first time.

Cameron always has a thorough explanation for the physics of his science fiction. More-so than the fantasy sci-fi of time travel or exposition, I appreciated the little things. Like the T800 breaking the hardware off Miles Dyson's front door. That's a detail that most filmmakers would miss. There are probably 1000 moments in his non-Titanic filmography like that. And another 1000 in Titanic.
Old 05-26-19, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I'll probably see it just because its another film in the Terminator Series.

CGI looks pretty rough in that Trailer.
Old 05-26-19, 09:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

not feeling Luna as the Terminator...
Old 05-28-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I don't really know what to expect. I wasn't much of a fan of the last three Terminators (though I liked them more than most). I'll sit back and hope for the best. I would love to be in awe of a Terminator movie again. But I'm also not 10 years old watching T2 for the first time.
This is where I'm at. The only thing I truly didn't like about the trailer is the music. Everything else seemed like standard Terminator fare. Nothing to get excited about, and for me, nothing to be overly discouraged about.
Old 05-28-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

These days if they put a Terminator, Alien or Predator in a movie, I’ll go check it out. That being said, I know what I’m in for.
Old 05-28-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
These days if they put a Terminator, Alien or Predator in a movie, I’ll go check it out. That being said, I know what I’m in for.
Yeah, I have pretty similar sentiments. I fully expect this will be not very good, but out of habit I’ll still see it. Same with the other two franchises. Like all three franchises, but realistically none of them have made a good film for quite a while.
Old 05-28-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
One of the comments I saw yesterday, which I agree with, was along the lines of this...
Typically, the idea of each sequel in a series is to have a bigger/badder villain. So with each iteration, the bad guy has something different about them that makes them harder to defeat.
I think that kind of linear approach to storytelling is why the sequels after T2 have been so disappointing.

That basically made T2 impossible to top, because the main bad guy was liquid fucking metal. How do you top a liquid metal robot?? You can't. So instead, they have to contrive different things that may be kind of cool... kind of interesting... but nothing as cool or interesting as a liquid metal robot.
I agree, it's incredibly difficult to top the T-1000 from a visual point of view. The technology itself seems so advanced, even for Skynet. The thing is, instead of looking at all the possibilities that the introduction of a changeling could bring to the series, the writers just keep adding unnecessary updates to the T-1000. A T-1000 that has a T-800 endo-skeleton. And it shoots frickin' lasers. And it can control other machines like in Maximum Overdrive. These films feel more like a collection of demolition footage.
Why not explore what would happen when fighting an enemy that might be masquerading as your best friend, you're mother, you're father, you're commanding officer, you're fellow soldier, etc? For how long would the masquerade go on for? What kind of paranoia would result from that? Instead of brave, battle hardened protagonists, would they start start cracking up like Teddy in Shutter Island, or questioning what's real and what isn't like in Jacob's Ladder?

The enemy might not even choose to take on a human appearance. Maybe they'll be disguised as floors, walls, ceilings, or debris, for long periods of time out waiting humans who have to eventually come out of hiding for food and water. Imagine that scene from Enemy at the Gates where the battlefield looks empty, devoid of any people, but in reality Vasilli knows that if he emerges from his hiding place he'll be killed instantly. And maybe the T-1000s never even take on a human appearance, which might even be more frightening. Sentient surroundings that only emerge as deadly and cruel shapes like a series of intricate pikes or a slow compressor.

What would a future war look like? Would Skynet employ torture in order to destroy the morale of the Resistance? Misinformation?

Is John Connor even alive and running things? Does high command keep him guarded from everyone else, not for his own safety, but to prevent the truth of his death from coming out?
Old 06-03-19, 10:40 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
And I honestly cannot believe they had the restraint to keep the "Come with me if you want to live." line out of the trailer after the Sarah Connor reveal, because we all know damn well that it's in the final movie.
Would you settle for an "I'll be back?"

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAwY5Lq953I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-03-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Would you settle for an "I'll be back?"

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAwY5Lq953I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Fuckin hell, man. I think the people they're trying to hook with all these callbacks are the ones who are tired of that shit by now. Although, God help me, I liked that TV spot much more than the teaser from a week or two ago even though it's mostly the same footage. I'm resigned to accept that these reboots and years-later sequels are mostly just fan service. It is what it is. In that regard, if they were able to get Edward Furlong back as John Connor, I think that'd be pretty cool.

But I'm realizing there are two things that are bugging me about everything we've seen so far: Daylight (Terminator, for me, does not work in daylight), and Sarah Connor's hair. It looks like she was on her way to talk to someone's manager when the new Terminator showed up. Ponytail or nothing.

Last edited by lopper; 06-03-19 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I had to check IMDb to see who that blonde Terminator dude was. I didn’t realize it’s Mackenzie Davis. She is usually really pretty. Not sure why they made her the Androgynator.
Old 06-03-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm really trying to give this the benefit of the doubt...but man, I haven't liked much of what we've seen so far. It just looks like the past three sequels all in one... hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-04-19, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Pretty much this. For me the Terminator franchise is The Terminator, T2 and T2-3D. That being said at some point I'm sure I'll watch this. All three of these franchises have just fallen so far from where the original movies were.
Old 06-04-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I had to check IMDb to see who that blonde Terminator dude was. I didn’t realize it’s Mackenzie Davis. She is usually really pretty. Not sure why they made her the Androgynator.
So the producers/studio could check a box.
Old 06-05-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
They did it so people won't think it's an all-female reboot.

I'm not crazy about Davis' look here, but here's the thing: we already had a sexualized female terminator in T3, and a very feminine looking teenage girl terminator in The Sarah Connor Chronicles. So they probably want to create a little variety by not having a female terminator that could be immediately idealized or objectified. Plus, if she's from the future, it makes sense that women would probably keep their hair short on the battlefield.
Old 07-18-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/07/edward-...on-1202648686/

Edward Furlong to return as John Connor

Also confirmed it will be Rated R.
Old 07-18-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2019/07/edward-...on-1202648686/

Edward Furlong to return as John Connor

Also confirmed it will be Rated R.
Now that certainly will give it some top notches to go and check it out. I always said without Furlong who was the star, you have no Terminator. Glad they managed to fit him in.
Old 07-18-19, 03:09 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Edward Furlong at a Comic Con a few years back and he looked in fairly bad shape, not really like a movie star. Hopefully they've had some time to get him into shape and clean him up a bit. Or maybe it's a small role.
Old 07-18-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Or maybe it's a small roll.
Fixed

Or maybe they deflated his body using special effects.
Old 07-18-19, 03:23 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

save us John Conner!
Burp...huh?

Old 07-18-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It worked for Endgame.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.