Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

In comparison to a modern action film, it was a good movie. It had everything. The plot was direct and unpretentious. To me, the difference between our attachment to T2 versus Dark Fate has only to do with the era we are in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
story (12-15-22), Why So Blu? (12-14-22)
Old 12-14-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
‘I refused:’ James Cameron says his Arnold Schwarzenegger demand was ‘problem’ with Terminator 6 (msn.com)

Cutting to the chase:The filmmaker said he thinks he knows why the film didn’t work, and it came down to a demand he made about Arnold Schwarzenegger.

“I think the problem, and I’m going to wear this one, is that I refused to do it without Arnold,” Cameron admitted to Deadline. “Tim didn’t want Arnold, but I said, ‘Look, I don’t want that. Arnold and I have been friends for 40 years, and I could hear it, and it would go like this: ‘Jim, I can’t believe you’re making a Terminator movie without me.’”

He continued: “It just didn’t mean that much to me to do it, but I said, ‘If you guys could see your way clear to bringing Arnold back and then, you know, I’d be happy to be involved.’

Adding fuel to the fire, Cameron believes, is that Miller then wanted Linda Hamilton, who played Sarah Connor.

“I think what happened is I think the movie could have survived having Linda in it. I think it could have survived having Arnold in it. But when you put Linda and Arnold in it and then, you know, she’s 60-something, he’s 70-something, all of a sudden it wasn’t your Terminator movie. It wasn’t even your dad’s Terminator movie – it was your granddad’s Terminator movie,” he said, adding: “And we didn’t see that.”

Cameron said: “We loved it, we thought it was cool, you know, that we were making this sort of direct sequel to a movie that came out in 1991. So, it was just our own myopia. We kind of got a little high on our own supply, and I think that’s the lesson there.”
I thought fans were on board with Schwarzenegger and Hamilton. Rather that word of mouth was negative due to killing off John Connor and his bland replacement. I enjoyed the movie but those two developments were lame.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (12-14-22)
Old 12-14-22, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The problem with the Terminator franchise is that it is, by design, a closed loop.

I think that The Terminator would have been perfect for a trilogy. The first movie would be the original movie from 1984. The second would have started the machine war, and the third would have had John Connor ending it. Closed loop.

But they just kept rehashing the same basic plot formula over and over again -- send someone/something back in time to prevent/insure a future apocalypse. It's the slasher movie formula, where Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees just keep coming back to slice and dice more teenagers. Five Terminator sequels, and they just never go anywhere.
Old 12-14-22, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I enjoyed Dark Fate a lot. I do wish they had kept the television series going -- that had the best exposition and narrative that was better than the movies after T2, but that was when Fox would cancel anything good after 1-2 seasons.
JeremyM (12-17-22)
Old 12-14-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem with the Terminator franchise is that it is, by design, a closed loop.

I think that The Terminator would have been perfect for a trilogy. The first movie would be the original movie from 1984. The second would have started the machine war, and the third would have had John Connor ending it. Closed loop.

But they just kept rehashing the same basic plot formula over and over again -- send someone/something back in time to prevent/insure a future apocalypse. It's the slasher movie formula, where Michael Myers and Jason Vorhees just keep coming back to slice and dice more teenagers. Five Terminator sequels, and they just never go anywhere.
They should have made this into an actual movie.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I enjoyed Dark Fate a lot. I do wish they had kept the television series going -- that had the best exposition and narrative that was better than the movies after T2, but that was when Fox would cancel anything good after 1-2 seasons.
The show was great (except for the UFO subplot).
Old 12-15-22, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Terminator Salvation tried something new and while the execution of the movie wasn't perfect, the general idea was. Ditch Arnie and show the actual war.
Old 12-15-22, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I will always defend Terminator Salvation. Great movie made with heart. The McG bluray behind-the-scenes showcases that.

The first 20 minutes of Genisys was excellent. And then when it went back to the old formula, it fell apart.

A follow up to Salvation could have shown a younger human version of soldier Arnold (it could definitely be done these days, flashback scenes), his incident with Skynet (why they chose/liked his DNA), and then reveal the time machine at the end in the Christian Bale timeline.

End the series with a third movie like how Genisys started.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 12-15-22 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I agree with MLB. I loved Salvation but I wanted to see the future war aspect of the series from when I first saw T1. I had enough of we send robot back in time to kill this person but this robot/person also was sent back in time to stop first robot from killing that person repeated story.
MLBFan24 (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

Huh. I thought Dark Fate was pretty mediocre, but Arnold and Hamilton were the best parts. The problem was that the new characters were as bland as could be and overall it was a pretty tired rehash of T2. But to be fair I honestly don't remember a thing about it beyond Carl the Terminator.
Old 12-15-22, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Huh. I thought Dark Fate was pretty mediocre, but Arnold and Hamilton were the best parts. The problem was that the new characters were as bland as could be and overall it was a pretty tired rehash of T2. But to be fair I honestly don't remember a thing about it beyond Carl the Terminator.
He installed drapes.
Old 12-15-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Terminator Salvation tried something new and while the execution of the movie wasn't perfect, the general idea was. Ditch Arnie and show the actual war.
What messed that up was they showed you the plot twist in the trailer. They did the same shit with Genisys. I was like what the fuck is wrong with these studios?!

At least Dark Fate kept it underwraps and when you see it during the opening it fucks you up. Even it is hated. I thought it was ballsy.
Old 12-15-22, 01:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I would like to see them send a Terminator back to kill a great great great great grandfather of John Connor. Perhaps Civil War times. Showing them banding together in clever ways to kill it with technology of the day.