Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

1st trailers usually never bring out glowing comments. I'll wait and see what happens when a future trailer drops. This movie doesn't come out for about 6 months. They are probably still heavy in post production right now.
Old 05-23-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron producing

Originally Posted by coli
From what I have seen from the few James Cameron interviews regarding the movie, he is being extra secret on the plot (he goes out of his way to say it many times in the era of spoilers). That is why I think the trailer looks so 'been there done that' as they are not revealing anything new and giving the standard Terminator scenes in every movie. What I always loved about T1 and T2 were the characters, relationships, and the themes and I'm hoping they are in this movie (again, I trust Cameron isn't involved in a dummy action movie). So you won't see this stuff in the Trailer, but there is always a chance that it ends up being a retread and we get The Force Awakens.
That's possible. We don't know the significance of Natalia Reyes' character. We don't know the background on Davis' character. Maybe they'll weave some new mythology around it.
But nothing in that teaser trailer makes me want to see it. I'm happy Linda Hamilton is the lead in a new movie though. Although Arnold's T-800 became the "hero" of the film series, Sarah Connor was the first and original. It was Sarah who motivated Kyle Reese to continue fighting in the first film, and it was Sarah that ultimately destroyed the T-800.
Old 05-23-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
From what I have seen from the few James Cameron interviews regarding the movie, he is being extra secret on the plot (he goes out of his way to say it many times in the era of spoilers). That is why I think the trailer looks so 'been there done that' as they are not revealing anything new and giving the standard Terminator scenes in every movie. What I always loved about T1 and T2 were the characters, relationships, and the themes and I'm hoping they are in this movie (again, I trust Cameron isn't involved in a dummy action movie). So you won't see this stuff in the Trailer, but there is always a chance that it ends up being a retread and we get The Force Awakens.
Where Cameron loses a lot of his credibility with this franchise to me is that he’s come out and endorsed two of the three films made since he departed after T2, but now seemingly acknowledges that they weren’t good and he lied for a paycheck. The fact that he’s a producer on this still isn’t exactly selling me, especially with a pretty weak trailer.
Old 05-23-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

This is also a fucking "teaser." We're getting a full trailer in the next couple of months before final release in November. They better do a great job in keeping it spoiler-free unlike Genisys. I still hate how they spoiled the big reveal in that final trailer. They should have fired the whole marketing department. I think that also contributed to the lackluster interest/box-office in the U.S.. Here's hoping they don't blow their wad in the next trailer.
Old 05-23-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This is also a fucking "teaser." We're getting a full trailer in the next couple of months before final release in November.
I always though teasers traditionally weren't suppose to show much if any of the actual film. Just something to pique your curiosity and create awareness.

Alien just had a starry background, a roaming shot of terrain that transitions into what looks like an egg that eventually cracks with some light emitting from it.
T2 just had a T-800 being constructed and a final shot of Arnold's face opening his eyes.
Nightmare On Elm Street 3 shows a little girl on a bed with a doll house, humming a melody.

None of that was in the actual films but I thought they were pretty successful in generating interest.
Old 05-23-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
So underwhelming.
Same old same old. It's the same things we've already seen in the previous films. Freeway chase, 1 good 1 bad terminator, factory battle, morphing terminator, human terminator, and bunch of shit just 'sploding every where x50.
The CGI airplane scene just looked ridiculous. What's the point of having these ambitious action scenes if they look so fake? Felt more like The A-Team of one of the Fast & Furiouses.
The bad guy terminator here doesn't even look scary or intimidating. I mean, that fits with Cameron's original vision of these things looking nondescript to blend in with humans. But if terminators are supposed to be infiltration units, and they've had these morphing capabilities since the second film, shouldn't they be altering the appearance constantly to get closer to their target? Why would they ever revert back to the way they're first human form?
Funny, I recently published a novel loosely based on a few years of my childhood written in the voice of a ten-year old. Once in a while, I would have him give some thoughts on movies had he had seen and tried to tie those thoughts in with the plot and/or themes of the book. Anyway, I had the main character posit the same thing regarding the disguises of the T-1000:
What I couldn’t figure out was why he stayed disguised as the cop, because the good guys knew it was him. If he had changed to someone else, they wouldn’t have known and he could’ve killed them easy. It was a good thing most bad guys in movies were so dumb and always lost in the end. Hank said that if they were smart they’d become politicians, as they could do the same things as bad guys without running any of the risks since they made the laws. Being school president, he knew all about it.
Old 05-23-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I always though teasers traditionally weren't suppose to show much if any of the actual film. Just something to pique your curiosity and create awareness.

Alien just had a starry background, a roaming shot of terrain that transitions into what looks like an egg that eventually cracks with some light emitting from it.
T2 just had a T-800 being constructed and a final shot of Arnold's face opening his eyes.
Nightmare On Elm Street 3 shows a little girl on a bed with a doll house, humming a melody.

None of that was in the actual films but I thought they were pretty successful in generating interest.
I agree. Teasers nowadays seem to be an actual full length trailer. Studios have been pretty screwy with these rules the last couple of years. I only used the operative word of "teaser" because that's technically how it's labeled. There will be a "second" trailer in a few months.
Old 05-23-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For something trying to position itself as the "real" sequel to T2, it sure does remind quite a bit of those lesser sequels multiple times in this trailer.
Old 05-23-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

This was the first Back to the Future Teaser, as it gives you absolutely nothing (In fact this isn't even in the film as it was shot just for the teaser). I think it's just the age we live in as everyone wants everything, but than they bitch when the Terminator Genysis trailers gives them everything.

Old 05-23-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

^ Which is ironic considering the fact that Robert Zemeckis is the king of spoiling shit in his film’s trailers.
Old 05-23-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bxPeVTIanzs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Saying it’s a direct sequel to T2 is what excites me. I’ll give it every opportunity to love.
Old 05-23-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

After viewing the trailer, this looks awful. I'm usually hesitant on judging based on trailers, but that was some 2003 Matrix Reloaded-level CGI in the beginning.

Nothing seems new about it. Terminator Salvation is still the only movie to go full-on future war (what the fans wanted), and yet everyone hates on it. Also, McG used a lot of practical effects, which is one of the reasons why I love Terminator Salvation.

This is probably the only time I'll watch the trailer (my normal routine to avoid spoiling movies). And of course, I'll still watch the movie, but I'm not convinced that this will be better just because Cameron is attached to it.
Old 05-23-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

JAMES CAMERON SAYS TERMINATOR: DARK FATE IS RATED R

A new interview with James Cameron reveals more information of his involvement in the movie; talking about the return of Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger to their famous roles.

At 8:24 and 12:40 of the following interview with Flicks and the City, James Cameron states that the movie is indeed Rated R. How soft that R will be is still a question that fans looking for a much darker toned movie will be asking but so far it’s good news concerning an age rating.
https://www.theterminatorfans.com/ja...te-is-rated-r/
Old 05-23-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Terminator Salvation is still the only movie to go full-on future war (what the fans wanted), and yet everyone hates on it.
That one had the most potential of the post-T2 films and was the biggest letdown.
The glimpses of the future war in T1 were superior and felt completely different from what we saw in TS.
And the threat of the T-800 was significantly reduced when instead of just breaking John's neck when he seized him twice, this highly advanced killing machine thought it would be more effective to just throw him around a lot.
I didn't like that they changed the story so that John wasn't the leader of the resistance from the beginning. And an off-screen adult John Connor works better for the religious allegory and theme, than actually casting him and having him as the lead or co-star.
It was more Transformers and less "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."
Old 05-24-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

God helps anyone who bases what a movie will be on just what a trailer looks like...I've seen plenty of "Awesome Fantastic Action Packed" trailers before....that had basically All The Best Parts....only to see the movie get rock bottom scores.....first out-of-the gate, more to come and the story & plot is what matters...
Old 05-24-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Wow...that trailer doesn't give me a whole lot of hope. It looks like a mashup between the first two Terminator movies, with Sarah Conner actually filling in the Kyle Reese role and Mackenzie Davis playing a Terminator "protector" for a young girl. Meanwhile, Arnold looks like (a) he's NOT playing a Terminator (as I guessed earlier in this thread) and (B) he may only be in a scene or two.

Bottom line: this movie doesn't seem to have anything "new" to say. I'll see it, but my excitement level has dropped dramatically.
Old 05-24-19, 06:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

great to see Linda Hamilton, but another truck/highway scene with much of the same cadence? zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

and fuck James Cameron's opinion. He glowingly endorsed Genysis if I remember correctly. Whore.
Old 05-24-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
and fuck James Cameron's opinion. He glowingly endorsed Genysis if I remember correctly. Whore.
Yeah, he's a great director, but let's be honest: James Cameron is all about James Cameron.
Old 05-24-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Teasers are supposed to get us excited... this didn't work for me. Conversely, as much as I squawk about the newest SW movies, the latest teaser did do an excellent job, IMO.
Old 05-24-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
God helps anyone who bases what a movie will be on just what a trailer looks like...I've seen plenty of "Awesome Fantastic Action Packed" trailers before....that had basically All The Best Parts....only to see the movie get rock bottom scores.....first out-of-the gate, more to come and the story & plot is what matters...
Here’s the problem though, this franchise has a long history of letdowns. It isn’t like this is the first sequel after T2 and people are down on it. This is after three films that were letdowns, and this is coming from someone who’s an apologist of those films to an extent. I think that’s why this film has a lot to prove in that it will actually be better. Frankly at this point I’m not seeing it. Minimal marketing works when your new or your brand is strong, not so much when it’s been damaged by multiple letdown films.
Old 05-24-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Watching that gave me flashbacks of Terminator Genisys, not good.

And now a public service announcement from Jame$ Cameron

"The new film, which in my mind I think of as the third film."

Last edited by inri222; 05-24-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't want to know any specific details regarding the plot, but I will pass on the movie if it ends up being another 'The Terminator was sent back in time to kill a person who will affect the future' macro storyline. That's what it appears in the teaser, but I will wait for the next trailer and some minor spoilers/interviews to see where they are headed for the story. I hope they don't recycle the T1/T2 plot with 'another' and throw a twist in here and there to make feel original as that is what the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy is essentially doing. Again, I would be suprised that Cameron and Hamilton would come back for a 'reboot', but they could be getting paid a load of $$$.
Old 05-24-19, 10:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

One of the comments I saw yesterday, which I agree with, was along the lines of this...
Typically, the idea of each sequel in a series is to have a bigger/badder villain. So with each iteration, the bad guy has something different about them that makes them harder to defeat.

That basically made T2 impossible to top, because the main bad guy was liquid fucking metal. How do you top a liquid metal robot?? You can't. So instead, they have to contrive different things that may be kind of cool... kind of interesting... but nothing as cool or interesting as a liquid metal robot.

Anyway... this flick looks fine. I still have to watch the previous one, but I'm not in a rush to do so.
Old 05-24-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
He's neighbors to Laurie Strode... waiting for a perpetual Michael Myers attack.

I'm glad I'm not the only getting a "Halloween (2018)" vibe from the teaser trailer...

- Lead woman from original hiding out for years awaiting new attacks (CHECK)
- A sequel that completely ignores a number of subsequent movies in franchise as if they don't exist (CHECK)
- Movie will have a lot of stuff in it that doesn't make any sense due to a massive multi-decade time gap since the only movie(s) it acknowledges (CHECK)
Old 05-24-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Yeah that CGI looked pretty bad.

This would never have been anything other than a rental anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.