DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635371-suicide-squad-ayer-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

nando820 09-24-18 02:06 PM

Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

its like the guy who murders his wife and claims to have done it because of love

TGM 09-24-18 04:36 PM

David Ayer was Rian Johnson before Rian Johnson Johnson'd Star Wars.

E Unit 09-24-18 04:49 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1366...itemid=8298143

The Questyen 07-25-21 12:35 PM

I haven't seen any of the DCEU films but my wife and I are interested in watching the new Gunn Suicide Squad film so we decided to watch this and the Harley Quinn film first. Not really understanding all the hate other than people wanting to hate it as soon as they saw the Joker look. At it's core it is a generic action movie but no worse then the bottom tier MCU films. Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis were all fantastic. I have zero issues with the Joker's look but Leto just wasn't very memorable in the role. Overall I'd give it a C.

Decker 07-25-21 12:42 PM

I watched it very late as well and was also a little confused as to the level of venom that has been spewed at it. Didn't love it, but thought it was at least watchable - - I even rather enjoyed the opening 15 minutes or so, despite the aggressive over-reliance of popular songs on the soundtrack.
The one area I will disagree with you on, Q, is Will Smith who I thought was dull, predictable and clearly didn't want to be there, IMO. It felt like the only way he was going to do it was if he could be the World's Best Dad and the most sympathetic Hitman ever. It rang false with me.

Runaway 07-26-21 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13961918)
I watched it very late as well and was also a little confused as to the level of venom that has been spewed at it. Didn't love it, but thought it was at least watchable - - I even rather enjoyed the opening 15 minutes or so, despite the aggressive over-reliance of popular songs on the soundtrack.
The one area I will disagree with you on, Q, is Will Smith who I thought was dull, predictable and clearly didn't want to be there, IMO. It felt like the only way he was going to do it was if he could be the World's Best Dad and the most sympathetic Hitman ever. It rang false with me.

You are right, while I do like Will Smith enough to even like him in this movie, it seems like they had to write his character as nice as possible, which doesn't feel like the right fit. If they wanted him in this, he should have been Rick Flag and not a villain.

fujishig 07-26-21 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13961917)
I haven't seen any of the DCEU films but my wife and I are interested in watching the new Gunn Suicide Squad film so we decided to watch this and the Harley Quinn film first. Not really understanding all the hate other than people wanting to hate it as soon as they saw the Joker look. At it's core it is a generic action movie but no worse then the bottom tier MCU films. Margot Robbie, Will Smith, and Viola Davis were all fantastic. I have zero issues with the Joker's look but Leto just wasn't very memorable in the role. Overall I'd give it a C.

I guess it depends on what you consider the bottom tier MCU films. To me, the worst MCU films are mainly forgettable but still cohesive, while this one just went from scene to scene with little rhyme or reason. I mean the plot itself was a mess.

Gunn going back to the Ostrander roots should be awesome, though.

Jason 07-26-21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13961917)

I thought the Joker was the only redeeming thing about this movie. He's portrayed as more of a gangster, which I thought was an interesting take. At least they took a chance with the character.

Really looking forward to the soft reboot next month.

Jason 07-26-21 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13961918)

Will Smith was phoning in the Will Smith Character. That's always a recipe for disaster.

Mike86 07-26-21 10:05 AM

I think this is watchable one time, but mostly is crappy and pretty forgettable. The characters aren’t great mostly, and the plot is dumb. On top of it all for being a ridiculous concept the film takes itself too seriously.

I like Will Smith as Deadshot, but they did try harder to make him a sympathetic character. I do like the flashback scene with Deadshot and his daughter and Batman apprehends him in the alley.

Margot Robbie as Harley is fine. People seem to think that she’s this perfect embodiment of the character or something, and to me she’s okay, but not as standout as most think. I actually liked her slightly better in Birds of Prey, which most people didn’t like as much.

Viola Davis may be the best part as Amanda Waller. She just seems like a cold-hearted villain. Glad she’s coming back for The Suicide Squad.

I look forward to seeing The Suicide Squad and feel like it’s going to make this film even more irrelevant.

dex14 07-29-21 06:08 PM

dex14 08-08-23 07:32 AM

Ayer is still defending his version on Twitter when people @ him. According to him, Gunn told him that they will eventually release the Ayer cut.

What’s your advice on how to navigate this situation with grace? There’s a genuine curiosity and interest from a lot of people. And I’m aware of there is another group of people that have fun mocking the film. Your comment is a perfect example of how many are magnetically drawn discussion to the 2016 film in a negative way. Have you ever had an experience in life that didn’t until the way you wanted, that dragged you, that made you rethink everything? I have. All I know is my unseen film plays much better than the studio release. The interest in my cut being show seems real and organic. And Gunn told me it would have it’s time to be shared. He absolutely deserves to launch to launch his DC universe without more drama about old projects. In a way I’m chained to this thing. I’m riding a tiger here and navigating this situation the best I can. Life is a very strange journey. Welcome to my Ted talk

Count Dooku 08-08-23 08:27 AM

WB should just tell Ayer that if there is an existing cut of the movie that he would like the public to be able to see, they will put it out on MAX immediately, as long as he signs over all of his financial interest in the film over to WB.

If Ayer wants to spend his own money to create a cut that he would like the public to see, he should do so, and they agree to put it on MAX when it is ready, as long as he signs over all of his financial interest in the film over to WB.

If Ayer wants money from them to create an "Ayer Cut," then they should tell him that will never ever happen and that the issue is closed forever.

Why So Blu? 08-08-23 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14306532)
WB should just tell Ayer that if there is an existing cut of the movie that he would like the public to be able to see, they will put it out on MAX immediately, as long as he signs over all of his financial interest in the film over to WB.

If Ayer wants to spend his own money to create a cut that he would like the public to see, he should do so, and they agree to put it on MAX when it is ready, as long as he signs over all of his financial interest in the film over to WB.

If Ayer wants money from them to create an "Ayer Cut," then they should tell him that will never ever happen and that the issue is closed forever.

Why would he turn over all of his financial interest? He already got paid and turned in his cut. It was the studio that trimmed it down from his original cut. This isn't like ZS Cut that needed more funds to redo and remove the Joss Whedon bullshit.

The Ayer Cut, as far as I know, is not some work print version that needs more post production work.

Count Dooku 08-08-23 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14306612)
Why would he turn over all of his financial interest? He already got paid and turned in his cut. It was the studio that trimmed it down from his original cut. This isn't like ZS Cut that needed more funds to redo and remove the Joss Whedon bullshit.

The Ayer Cut, as far as I know, is not some work print version that needs more post production work.

As I posted, if his cut of the movie exists in a finished state that he is comfortable with the public seeing, then that should be made available for the public to see.

He should turn over all his financial interest to demonstrate that his desire for his version of the movie to exist in the public sphere is driven solely by artistic motivations. Essentially saying, "I made this work of art that I am proud of, and I want people to see it."
On the flip side, if Ayer has no financial incentive to see his version made public, then WB is able to say, "We support the desire of this artist to have his work seen."

WB is a corporation. It's only motivation is profit. It is only supposed to care about artistic success in so far as the imprimatur of artistry can lead to profits. David Ayer wants the world to see that his art was better, so just make it about that. Let him put his money where his mouth is.

Why So Blu? 08-08-23 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14306615)
As I posted, if his cut of the movie exists in a finished state that he is comfortable with the public seeing, then that should be made available for the public to see.

He should turn over all his financial interest to demonstrate that his desire for his version of the movie to exist in the public sphere is driven solely by artistic motivations. Essentially saying, "I made this work of art that I am proud of, and I want people to see it."
On the flip side, if Ayer has no financial incentive to see his version made public, then WB is able to say, "We support the desire of this artist to have his work seen."

WB is a corporation. Its only motivation is profit. It is only supposed to care about artistic success in so far as the imprimatur of artistry can lead to profits. David Ayer wants the world to see that his art was better, so just make it about that. Let him put his money where his mouth is.

With Gunn in there, hopefully he'll throw him an altruistic bone. Ayer shouldn't have to turn over anything. The TC version made a shitload, so WB should be grateful.

Throw it up on MAX and be done with it.

Giantrobo 08-08-23 12:44 PM

Just release it on DVD and Digital and make money. Those who want to see it can, and those who don't can easily avoid it. These Studios are always crying poverty yet they seem to always pass up opportunities to make bank. So here's a chance to make some extra cash and shut people up about this cut.

JeremyM 08-08-23 12:47 PM

Gonna need the content soon anyway if this strike carries on. Maybe we can also get the extended cut of Batman Forever and the TV cut of Superman II.

Count Dooku 08-08-23 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14306619)
With Gunn in there, hopefully he'll throw him an altruistic bone. Ayer shouldn't have to turn over anything. The TC version made a shitload, so WB should be grateful.

Throw it up on MAX and be done with it.

James Gunn is a person, so he can experience the emotions that lead to altruism. Warner Brothers is a corporate entity, so it can not feel gratitude. The more profit to be made from making Ayers' cut public, the greater motivation WB has to do so.

But I agree. If the cut exists, throw it up on MAX and be done with it.

Giantrobo 08-08-23 12:58 PM

In the DC Groups I'm in, which BTW are TRASH as all DC Groups are these days due to the Snyder Simps and Gunn Simps going back and forth all day, people are saying things like, "Don't release it! We don't want to give Snyderbots hope!" :lol: What?

I swear....FUCK DC Fandom on both sides. :lol:

HeIsTheZissou 08-08-23 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM (Post 14306645)
Gonna need the content soon anyway if this strike carries on. Maybe we can also get the extended cut of Batman Forever and the TV cut of Superman II.

Batman Forever and Ever

Mike86 08-08-23 02:42 PM

I’d watch an Ayer cut but I’m not convinced it would be much better. Who knows though. I’d be far more interested in the Schumacher cut of Batman Forever.

Obi-Wanma 08-08-23 02:49 PM

I still want to see the Lord and Miller cut of Solo.

Those guys have done nothing but gold, and Disney took what they were doing and made it cookie cutter and generic.

JeremyM 08-08-23 03:12 PM

I didn't hate Solo but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that, either.

Josh-da-man 08-08-23 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 14306657)
In the DC Groups I'm in, which BTW are TRASH as all DC Groups are these days due to the Snyder Simps and Gunn Simps going back and forth all day, people are saying things like, "Don't release it! We don't want to give Snyderbots hope!" :lol: What?

I swear....FUCK DC Fandom on both sides. :lol:

I remember a time not long ago when people actually wanted directors cuts and extended cuts to be released.

I'm glad we got the Snyder cut of Justice League, and I'd like to see Ayers directors cut of Suicide Squad as well.

I'm hardly a Snyder fanboy, but I thought it was strange that people would get so pissy if I said I'd like to see his cut of Justice League. :lol: