DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635371-suicide-squad-ayer-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 07-31-16 11:51 AM

Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Suicide Squad" (Starring: Margo Robbie, Will Smith, Jared Leto, Viola Davis, Jai Courtney, Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Cara Delevingne, Joel Kinnaman)

Release Date:
8/05/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of violence and action, disturbing behavior, suggestive content and language throughout.)

Running Time:
130m. (2h. 10m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A secret government agency run by Amanda Waller, named A.R.G.U.S creates a task force comprising super villains, the "Suicide Squad". They are assigned to execute dangerous tasks in exchange for shorter prison sentences.

IMDb Info and Rating:
0.0 (0 votes as of 7/31/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:00 Rotten:00 (00% as of 7/31/16)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/31/16)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ster-first.jpg

TomOpus 08-01-16 01:50 PM

Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This guy went to the preview. It's a positive review (he states he liked BvS) and gives mild spoiler warning at the appropriate time. Almost halfway through he inserted a quick thought he forgot to include in his review. He recorded it in his car but returns back to his review.

Mike86 08-01-16 01:56 PM

There aren't many reviews but I watched the one above and another one on YouTube last night. Both seemed fairly positive. The other guy I watched didn't like Batman V Superman but liked this film.

TomOpus 08-01-16 02:16 PM

I think the embargo is still in place.

Mabuse 08-01-16 03:00 PM

Can someone explain the billing of Robie above Will Smith?

TomOpus 08-01-16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 12864208)

Just to give people who have no life something to bitch about.

Brack 08-01-16 03:32 PM

This questioned triggered with me the rumor that they were/are having an affair. Plus Deadshot isn't selling the movie much, but Harley Quinn, most definitely. Your question reminds me of when Nicholson had top billing for Batman.

Giantrobo 08-01-16 04:14 PM

Duh, they know comics fans will be spanking to Robie.

dex14 08-01-16 04:18 PM

Not sure what you're talking about? Promo material lists Smith first. If you're talking about Oldboy's post... then that is something else as it isn't official... and he wrote "Margo".

Mike86 08-01-16 04:55 PM

Yeah I think Smith has gotten top billing. On the posters I remember it's his name, Leto's, and then Robbie's.

Troy Stiffler 08-01-16 05:35 PM

https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/160430/p...ap-1bi8dbe.jpg

E Unit 08-01-16 06:03 PM

I'm sure he doesn't mind that on top of him.

Defiant1 08-01-16 06:04 PM

She's not. Will Smith hasn't taken second billing since Six Degrees of Separation, with the exception of After Earth, where he ceded top billing to his son.

inri222 08-01-16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 12864349)
She's not. Will Smith hasn't taken second billing since Six Degrees of Separation, with the exception of After Earth, where he ceded top billing to his son.

Smith has had second billing in the first two MIB films & both Bad Boys films.

Defiant1 08-01-16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12864373)
Smith has had second billing in the first two MIB films & both Bad Boys films.

I stand corrected! Martin Smith must have had one hell of an agent to get himself top billing, even though Will is far more prominent in the BB2 poster.

TheMovieman 08-01-16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 (Post 12864387)
I stand corrected! Martin Smith must have had one hell of an agent to get himself top billing, even though Will is far more prominent in the BB2 poster.

...I think you mean Martin Lawrence. ;)

Brack 08-01-16 08:28 PM

Those movies had two main leads; both actors had top billing.

Josh-da-man 08-01-16 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 12864227)
This questioned triggered with me the rumor that they were/are having an affair. Plus Deadshot isn't selling the movie much, but Harley Quinn, most definitely. Your question reminds me of when Nicholson had top billing for Batman.

This seems like it wants to be a Joker/Harley movie more than anything else.

It's like the first three DCEU movies are putting DC's most recognizable characters, Superman, Batman, and The Joker, in their own films first.

Would anyone care about a Suicide Squad movie without the Joker and Harley Quinn?

Mike86 08-01-16 08:56 PM

Yeah you can pretty much guarantee that if all the other elements were the same but Harley and The Joker were taken out this film would have little to no hype. It seems like this film was made because DC wanted a Harley led film but were a bit hesitant about jumping right to that. So you put The Joker in for good measure and add some star power with Will Smith as Deadshot.

dex14 08-01-16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 12864325)

https://media.giphy.com/media/8ymvg6pl1Lzy0/giphy.gif

Mike86 08-01-16 10:20 PM

I know a lot of people want to love Robbie as Harley but a few of the reviews I've listened to actually say she's one of the weaker parts of the film.

TheMovieman 08-02-16 01:03 AM

And yet I've been reading she, along with Smith's Deadshot, were the highlights. :lol:

(BTW, not saying she may not be the weak link or anything, just funny how varied some reactions have been when it comes to who stood out or not).

Mike86 08-02-16 01:43 AM

I have a feeling she might be divisive. A lot of what I've heard makes it sound like her dialogue and the way she delivers it comes off too on the nose and forced. It seems like one of the most well liked characters in all the reviews is actually Diablo along with Amanda Waller and The Joker. I've heard Smith is fine but that it's a pretty typical performance as we're used to from him.

Mabuse 08-02-16 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12864219)
Just to give people who have no life something to bitch about.

It's an honest fucking question. What the hell are you contributing?

Anyway, Oldboy's post listed her first and if you look closely on that poster Will Smith's name is first but her name is at the top. It's a Towering Inferno situation.

Mike86 08-02-16 11:04 AM

I think that's just the design of the poster but I'm pretty sure Smith is billed first. Realistically this is more or less Harley's movie though.

Deftones 08-02-16 11:09 AM

Not a glowing review: http://io9.gizmodo.com/movie-review-...-th-1784666704

inri222 08-02-16 11:27 AM

‘Suicide Squad’ Review: These Heroes May Be Bad, But Their Movie Is Even Worse - Grade: D+

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/sui...er-1201712352/

faust69 08-02-16 11:29 AM

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/...-might-save-dc

Positive review from Drew McWeeny.

HN 08-02-16 11:39 AM

opening volley of RT has it 37% (7-14)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/

Robbie can vex me anytime though!

dex14 08-02-16 11:54 AM

I'm going to guess this is going to be one that critics don't like, but audiences do.

I'll be seeing this Thursday night.

james2025a 08-02-16 12:07 PM

Sounds like a lot of fears of problems with the movie are a reality. Judging by the reviews i had read it sounds pretty by the numbers, many characters not developed or not even needed, Leto's Joker bringing nothing really new to the table and Harley Quinn coming out not living up to the hype. She looks the part, but it sounds like any comedic turn falls flat. And once again Jai Courntey allows people to wonder why Hollywood employs him.

I am still gonna go see the movie, and positive that it will make a tonne of cash at the box office this weekend, however if its as mediocre as the reviews (which seem to be a real mixed bag, a number liking the movie but even more hating it) suggest then i think DC needs to really stop to take a breath and put its house in order. I know a lot of shit goes thrown around about the Marvel vs DC thing, but i would say at this stage that most people would say they have fonder memories of Marvel movies than DC movies, and thats where Warners needs to catch its audiences. Make them want to revisit the movies. I really have continually hoped for DC/Warners to start giving us great movies from their properties. I am more than happy for both companies to be providing the public with superb and entertaining comic book movies, but so far one is falling way short.

I am gonna see this movie and hope that i walk out having been entertained. And i truly hope DC movies get better in their story telling. Thats one aspect they have not nailed down since the Dark Knight.

RichC2 08-02-16 12:08 PM

From the sounds of it, it's a step in the right direction but still has a long way to go.

faust69 08-02-16 12:24 PM

At this rate, it's been 90mins and reviews are still coming in. The initial mainstream reviews are negative, but I'm also seeing some positive reviews from Empire and Hitfix. So let's give it some time instead of giving in to knee-jerk ADD reactions.

As for me, I'm waiting for more geek reviews like SchmoesKnow and Chris Stuckman and others. I'm starting to trust the so-called mainstream media less and less and going to geek critics where their tastes and backgrounds match mine far more.

RichC2 08-02-16 12:26 PM

Yeah I'm the opposite, I find geek reviews will let way too much slide because of one or two minor factors even if the majority of the movie is shit. At least in BvS both sides largely agreed, here it seems like it has the right ingredients but shoddy storytelling does it in (which can be alright if the characters shine). But only 1/10th of the total overall reviews are in right now.

faust69 08-02-16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12864969)
Yeah I'm the opposite, I find geek reviews will let way too much slide because of one or two minor factors even if the majority of the movie is shit. At least in BvS both sides largely agreed, here it seems like it has the right ingredients but shoddy storytelling does it in (which can be alright if the characters shine).

I find too often nowadays, mainstream critics are showing their biases and agendas more and more, something I see less in lesser-known or geek critics who are not so predisposed to such silliness and only want a good film. Imho, the trick is to find critics that are trustworthy (ala Siskel and Ebert back in the day) who are looking to see what makes a movie good or bad and not get tripped up by bias or fixate too much (as you say) on one or two factors while ignoring everything else that works/doesn't work.

Damn, the more I think about it, is there anyone like Ebert anymore?

DJariya 08-02-16 01:06 PM

Yeah I don't care about the early reviews. Still going to see it anyways. This is something that's probably going to look and sound really good on the big screen.

I'm going to try to see a matinee Saturday morning or afternoon before I go to work.

I was at Best Buy the other day and WB is offering $8 movie cash on select BDs for this movie. It was too bad that none of the titles included were ones I needed. I owned most of them already.

jeffkjoe 08-02-16 01:08 PM

Geez, can't Jai Courtney ever be in a good movie?

dex14 08-02-16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe (Post 12865024)

I liked Jack Reacher.

Mike86 08-02-16 01:23 PM

From the sounds of things The Joker was needlessly shoehorned into this film. People seem divisive on Leto's take as the character. Most of the reviews make it sound like he's not bad but it sounds like he's more of a gangster character. Which isn't all that surprising given his look.

RichC2 08-02-16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe (Post 12865024)

Who knows, but the second he teams up with Taylor Kitsch it'll be a huge box office success!