DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/635371-suicide-squad-ayer-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

EddieMoney 12-30-16 09:34 AM

Re: Suicide Squad (Ayer, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12978291)
This seems to happen a lot. Have you gotten this checked out? Do you wear depends these days?

Na, no need to. I come close to shitting myself, but never actually do. Doctor says to stay away from bad movies.

Mike86 12-30-16 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 12978286)
The scene where he is lying on the ground, surrounded by carefully placed knives and guns, and starts cackling...I physically cringed and recoiled, and very nearly shit my pants.

Yeah, Leto just seemed to be trying too hard the whole film. That scene in particular is pretty cringe worthy because of his stupid cackling laugh and how orchestrated the whole thing looks. As if he'd really have the room set up perfectly just like that so he could lay there. I just don't like rockstar/gangster/meth head Joker.

Double_Oh_7 12-30-16 11:49 AM

What a POS movie. Harley and Joker should have been the centerpiece of it all, but Leto's performance was so atrocious it's best he was just a peripheral character. And was there even a plot? It was a bunch of music montages strung together...

Josh-da-man 12-30-16 09:12 PM

I don't know that the blame for The Joker can be laid on Leto. The part was just badly written. The Joker didn't really have a lot to do in the movie. Aside from Harley's flashbacks (which were more about her) and Mistah J showing up in a handful of brief scenes trying to get Harley, there wasn't anything for him to do. There was really no chance to establish the Joker as much of anything other than a minor antagonist.

I want to see him being a savage, crazed beast. Let him kill Robin in an upcoming Batman movie (and not in a twi minute flashback). Adapt "Death in the Family" as part of a Batman movie.

GoldenJCJ 12-30-16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 12978211)
I would have liked to have seen a Joker that was a stronger contrast to the one we saw in TDK. Maybe a more effeminate or dandy-type like in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, although I doubt that would fly in 2016.

After watching Vice Principals I say Walton Goggins as the next Joker!

Mike86 12-30-16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12978760)
I don't know that the blame for The Joker can be laid on Leto. The part was just badly written. The Joker didn't really have a lot to do in the movie. Aside from Harley's flashbacks (which were more about her) and Mistah J showing up in a handful of brief scenes trying to get Harley, there wasn't anything for him to do. There was really no chance to establish the Joker as much of anything other than a minor antagonist.

I want to see him being a savage, crazed beast. Let him kill Robin in an upcoming Batman movie (and not in a twi minute flashback). Adapt "Death in the Family" as part of a Batman movie.

I have a feeling that Leto inspired much of the character's look in the film which I'm sorry is God awful. The performance should outweigh how a character looks in normal circumstances but he just looked fucking stupid. He may not have had a bunch to do but what was shown wasn't impressive to me in the slightest. I've said it before but it seems like Leto and the filmmakers thought they had to take the character to ridiculous levels to to Ledger and they just didn't accomplish that at all. Warner is probably to blame partially because there's no doubt The Joker was shoehorned into the film for little reason than to promote that he's in the film but regardless the way they went about handling the character was poorly done on all fronts.

fumanstan 01-08-17 09:14 PM

Finally saw this on a plane to Europe, and enjoyed it more then I thought I would. It's nothing special or particularly great, but I didn't find it to be that terrible at all and enjoyed it more then BvS. I actually liked all the funky editing and music montage stuff that I assume they added after the trailer reaction, and i'm a sucker for those character intro moments. I just wish the plot was better, as the enchantress stuff seemed pretty silly to me and it's convenient they formed the team for what seemed like a self-inflicted problem. And yeah, Joker was absolutely terrible in this and should have left his role to Harley flashbacks.

But I really enjoyed most of all the other characters, especially Deadshot and Harley. Their "friendship" worked for me through most of the movie and they were entertaining to watch. Wish they were smarter about adding cannon fodder like Slipknot, who doesn't get an intro like the rest of the team and used just so they can kill off someone though.

Lastblade 01-09-17 08:42 AM

This movie was a mess. For a superhero movie, none of the action scenes made an impact. They were really boring and uneventful.

None of the characters were very interesting, but they did tried. Quinn didn't make much sense to me, I know she fell for the Joker and went off the deep end but it seems forced the way they showed it. Boomerang guy is under used, not sure why he is even there. Ditto for Croc, I guess someone had to plant the bomb, but it turns out he really wasn't needed anyway. Diablo is actually the most interesting character and wish he showed his powers more instead of hero shot Will Smith.

The best scene was Waller scene near the end, that was shocking.

mattysemo247 01-24-17 02:47 PM

a reply from David Ayer on Twitter, after someone saying how much they enjoyed the film:

Jody @PensFanboy
So thankful for suicide squad @DavidAyerMovies exactly the way it is. It's a masterpiece, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2uzOpGUUAAL7yf.jpg:small

Kal-El 01-24-17 02:59 PM

Well, at least we know he got the memo to pivot to how much money the movie made in case how terrible the actual movie was comes up again. Which is kinda weird since he's the one that brings it up. :lol:

Giantrobo 01-24-17 03:00 PM

If real :up: He seems to to get the criticisms and learned from them.

inri222 01-24-17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 12996021)
If real :up: He seems to to get the criticisms and learned from them.

Just like Ridley Scott ;)

Abob Teff 01-24-17 05:56 PM

Alternative criticisms?

devilshalo 01-24-17 06:18 PM

Too much Will Smith for my taste. I can't imagine a solo Deadshot movie with just him.

islandclaws 01-24-17 07:34 PM

I can't believe he JUST NOW realized that Joker should have been the main villain. What better way to focus on him without making him part of the squad? This was a movie of missed opportunities and expository writing so obtuse it should be grounds for execution... but in some weird, "alternative intelligence" kind of way I enjoyed most of it. The screenplay is dogshit, no question, but visually I was sold.

fumanstan 01-24-17 07:48 PM

I'd rather have less Joker, at least the way the character was portrayed. And I like the idea (on paper) of minimizing the Joker's role in this kind of movie given how iconic he is and that he would overshadow the actual "squad" characters. Or just left him out completely. A more grounded story is what I prefer, although I agree I think visually is what I liked about the movie the most.

Mike86 01-24-17 09:29 PM

Joker in this film felt forced in by the studio. There really isn't much of a point for him to be there other than to sell more tickets because he's in it.

Abob Teff 01-24-17 09:35 PM

More Joker?! That was not the answer. The only way Joker as the main villain would have worked was if he was manipulating the whole set up just to spring Harley Quinn. Then you would have to kill Deadshot though.

Mike86 01-24-17 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 12996165)
Too much Will Smith for my taste. I can't imagine a solo Deadshot movie with just him.

To be honest I wouldn't want a Deadshot solo film (though I do like the character and Smith's portrayal) but after seeing this I wouldn't mind seeing him as a main villain in a Batman solo film.

fujishig 01-24-17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 12996165)

He and Margot carried the movie. If they minimized his role the box office drops for this film, I'd guess. I mean who else in the movie was deserving of more screen time? Generic soldier guy? Boomerang? Croc?

I agree that they should have taken a more grounded approach considering the characters and their power set.

Trevor 02-05-17 03:59 PM

Finally watched this just now. Went in expecting to like it as I loved the trailers, the cast, the comic books, and generally like even the DC superhero films. But wow, this stunk.

Had bits that were decent, but it just wasn't good. Felt like maybe this is an example of a film where a different director and/or better editing might have really improved it. The dialogue was weak in parts, it seemed like they just took first takes sometimes because lines that should have been killer just didn't have the right delivery. The 3D didn't blow me away either.

Josh-da-man 02-05-17 10:07 PM

Too many characters, too many things going on. It was a mess, like they took a full season of a Netflix series and edited it down to a two hour movie.

Michael Corvin 02-12-17 12:38 PM

Finally watched this last night. I was expecting the worst, but honestly it wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either though. I agree that Smith & Robie carried the flick. The rest of the squad just wasn't as developed so the audience had no reason to care. Getting some more Batfleck was a big :up:. Decent enough for one viewing, but not a flick I'll ever revisit though.

The entire premise seems flawed though. In a world of superheroes, metahumans, & Batman, you risk civilization on a bunch of villains to save the day against a centuries old witch? On top of that risk them just breaking free anyway?

That aside, "Martha" is no longer the lamest thing in the DCEU. Jared Leto's Joker holds that crown now. Holy shitballs this Joker was fucking terrible. They need to recast and reboot that shit ASAP before he taints any other DCEU flick.

mattysemo247 02-13-17 08:39 AM

Joker was easily the worst part of the film in my eyes. After seeing it, I completely understood the reports on why so many of his scenes were cut from the film. If that is how WB wants Joker portrayed, they might as well hire Riff Raff for the part.

Timber 02-13-17 08:56 AM

I love how people say it was that bad but then rattle off reasons why it was completely horrible.