Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...artrek2016.htm

This may struggle to just break even.

Took a 60% drop off week 2 (probably due to the high profile release of Jason Bourne)

So far it hasn't made it's production budget back with world wide grosses.
Old 07-31-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Elvis movie; Elvis sings, Elvis fights, Elvis sings, Elvis gets the girl, Elvis sings again. Roll credits. Worked 30 times in a row.
That was 40+ years ago. Audiences are a little more sophisticated now.
Old 07-31-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts

This is awful. They really nailed it this turn out and the marketing screwed the pooch. I'm hope to hell the international box office picks up some of the slack as well as the Bluray and DVD.

We should be getting another 2-3 movies with this cast.
Old 07-31-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Bad marketing, worse timing
Old 07-31-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
That was 40+ years ago. Audiences are a little more sophisticated now.
The Transformers franchise's $3.75 billion box office begs to differ.

And most films have scripts that follow the same formula. Certainly the blockbusters do.
Old 08-02-16, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Maybe not completely destroyed like in this one, but they wrecked it pretty bad in the other ones. It's like most modern movies feel like they need to present an unprecedented level of destruction, one more smoldering than the last.
Of the TOS movies, only one had the Enterprise in perfect working condition (The Undiscovered Country). TMP had warp and transporter issues. Khan has a skeleton crew and they initially take a ton of damage from Khan's first attack. Search for Spock the Enterprise is being mothballed and hasn't been repaired. The Voyage Home doesn't have the Enterprise. The Final Frontier the ship is undergoing repairs. Such lazy storytelling!

As for Beyond, I think it's easily the best of the reboot series. It felt more like Star Trek than the other two did, and I loved how each character got their chance to shine and the whole crew worked together as a team. This was exemplified in the sign off where each character got to say a portion of the iconic lines. Pegg's love of TOS shines here and now that the crew has hit their stride I can't wait to see the next one.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-02-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Of the TOS movies, only one had the Enterprise in perfect working condition (The Undiscovered Country). TMP had warp and transporter issues. Khan has a skeleton crew and they initially take a ton of damage from Khan's first attack. Search for Spock the Enterprise is being mothballed and hasn't been repaired. The Voyage Home doesn't have the Enterprise. The Final Frontier the ship is undergoing repairs. Such lazy storytelling!

As for Beyond, I think it's easily the best of the reboot series. It felt more like Star Trek than the other two did, and I loved how each character got their chance to shine and the whole crew worked together as a team. This was exemplified in the sign off where each character got to say a portion of the iconic lines. Pegg's love of TOS shines here and now that the crew has hit their stride I can't wait to see the next one.
What do you know? We completely agree on something!

Old 08-02-16, 08:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We'll go to the next group showing of Beyond together.
Old 08-02-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
"Magic Carpet Ride" worked in First Contact worked because it came from a 21st Century person (Zefram Cochrane) not Riker and Geordi. If it were Riker and Geordi going: "Let's bust out some Beastie Boys!", it would get the reaction Beyond is currently getting currently.
But First Contact takes place in 2063. "Magic Carpet Ride" is almost 100 years old by that point. So a character playing a 100 year old song is okay, but characters playing a 250 or so year old song is not?
Old 08-02-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...artrek2016.htm

This may struggle to just break even.

Took a 60% drop off week 2 (probably due to the high profile release of Jason Bourne)

So far it hasn't made it's production budget back with world wide grosses.
It's already passed GHOSTBUSTERS both domestically and worldwide. Add that to the fact that both Jason Bourne and (seemingly) Suicide Squad are disappointments, and Star Trek Beyond is going to benefit...not this weekend (which Suicide Squad will own), but perhaps the second half of August. It should at least make it to $150 million stateside and $225 million overall.

That said, adjusted for inflation, it's going to be about as popular as Star Trek VI and Generations were...which is good, but far from great. I expect the budget for part four to be significantly less (Paramount's probably ticked they blew up the ship...they could have re-used those sets!).
Old 08-03-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably just joking but the bridge set could be given a fresh coat of paint and be fine for the new -A in the next film.
Old 08-03-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id rather them tone down the "brought to you by Apple" aesthetic.
Old 08-03-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You're probably just joking but the bridge set could be given a fresh coat of paint and be fine for the new -A in the next film.
Yep, was just being sarcastic...I'm sure Paramount didn't scrap anything...they used those Star Trek: The Motion Picture sets for six movies.
Old 08-04-16, 03:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's already passed GHOSTBUSTERS both domestically and worldwide. Add that to the fact that both Jason Bourne and (seemingly) Suicide Squad are disappointments, and Star Trek Beyond is going to benefit...not this weekend (which Suicide Squad will own), but perhaps the second half of August. It should at least make it to $150 million stateside and $225 million overall.

That said, adjusted for inflation, it's going to be about as popular as Star Trek VI and Generations were...which is good, but far from great. I expect the budget for part four to be significantly less (Paramount's probably ticked they blew up the ship...they could have re-used those sets!).
$225m worldwide is terrible compared to the first two entries of $385m and $467m. I'm not convinced the marketing is responsible for the significant drop in gross, but rather the release date of late July. The first two movies were released in May, but the movie probably had no chance to do well with Civil War (and to some extent Apocalypse). Everyone is afraid to go up against Marvel, and for good reason, but there's no reason this one shouldn't have been released in early June, instead of the Ninja Turles sequel that topped the chart with $35m, and even the next week with The Conjouring at $40m. That would have been two solid weeks of no competition. Yes, Bourne definitely hurt the second weekend, and Suicide Squad will open big as well, and will probably be a huge hit, despite the reviews. My wife wants to see Suicide Squad. Any movie she wants to see at a theater, and that's not many, turn out to be monsters. This isn't the 80s or 90s. Even if Star Trek doesn't drop much in later weekends after Suicide Squad, the damage is already done.
Old 08-04-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They still expect upwards of $140m this weekend for Suicide Squad despite the reviews.

Bourne should drop about 64% - 65%, it's doing slightly worse than Beyond did during its first week (which lead to a weekend decline of 58.2%) and SS will be much bigger than Bourne was vs. Beyond.

Beyond could drop substantially, could hang in there, we'll know more in two days. My guess is about $14m - $15m this weekend, placing it at about $135m domestic after 3 weekends. Its international release has been extremely scattered, opening in South Korea on August 18th, China on September 2nd, and Japan on October 21st.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-04-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 03:24 PM

Beyond will lose most of its IMAX screens to Suicide Squad as well. Bourne will drop probably more than usual, but that series has an older demographic than Suicide Squad, so it might not drop as much.
Old 08-04-16, 03:38 PM

Besides XD, what other large formats are there in the US? IMAX is definitely the most significant of any of them, so losing that to Suicide Squad, while not extremely significant, won't help Beyond, nor hurt Bourne since Bourne viewers don't go in hoping to see it on a large screen format.
Old 08-04-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Besides XD, what other large formats are there in the US? IMAX is definitely the most significant of any of them, so losing that to Suicide Squad, while not extremely significant, won't help Beyond, nor hurt Bourne since Bourne viewers don't go in hoping to see it on a large screen format.
Basically every chain has their own version these days, Liemax is still the best overall, but yeah, you'd have to google it because there are a lot. An upcharged venue with a super large screen.

Regardless I don't see it really hurting either too substantially, I still see Bourne with a 60% - 65% drop and Beyond with a 45 - 50%.
Old 08-04-16, 03:54 PM

I hope that it's not worse for Beyond. Bourne it won't matter as much, since it will turn a profit for its relatively low reported budget of $120m and good international box office. I can't say the same for Beyond at this point.

Last edited by Brack; 08-04-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

Man, it seems like only Disney (Marvel, Star Wars) can have a huge box office hit these days.
Old 08-04-16, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Man, it seems like only Disney (Marvel, Star Wars) can have a huge box office hit these days.
Disney is good at building brands. Even when they miss, they have another hit a few weeks later. It's kind of nuts.
Old 08-04-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will a good run on Bluray and DVD help the prospects for number 4? I at least want to see how they hell they bring back George Kirk. If the series were to end with 4 pretty enjoyable movies, I'll consider that a decent run.
Old 08-04-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Will a good run on Bluray and DVD help the prospects for number 4? I at least want to see how they hell they bring back George Kirk. If the series were to end with 4 pretty enjoyable movies, I'll consider that a decent run.
Part 4 was already greenlit by the studio. They already mentioned that Chris Hemsworth was being brought back.

However, no script has been written and no director has been hired, so things could always change.
Old 08-04-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$225m worldwide is terrible compared to the first two entries of $385m and $467m. I'm not convinced the marketing is responsible for the significant drop in gross, but rather the release date of late July. The first two movies were released in May, but the movie probably had no chance to do well with Civil War (and to some extent Apocalypse).
Honestly, a lot of the poorer box office has to to with INTO DARKNESS, which loyal fans hated and general audiences didn't care for as much as the 2009 movie. Beyond's take reflects more of the loyal fan base...most of the casual fans that caught the 2009 movie and INTO DARKNESS stayed home this time around. Adjusted for inflation, the take represents about the median for what Star Trek movies were making in the 80s and 90s.
Old 08-05-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Disney is good at building brands. Even when they miss, they have another hit a few weeks later. It's kind of nuts.
They missed big time with that BFG movie. Just a rough summer all around. I don't think there has been really one movie outside of Captain America that didn't get bad reviews and was a majority crowd pleaser like last year's Jurassic World.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.