Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
3.66%
15.85%
47.56%
10.98%
10.98%
3.66%
4.88%
1.22%
1.22%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Re: Star Trek Beyond (Lin, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Star Trek has never been aimed at kids, and I hope it never is.
There was an attempt...

Old 08-15-16, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
There was an attempt...

This is actually how I found Star Trek as a kid. Re-runs in the late 80s.
Old 08-15-16, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While financially Beyond didn't do very well, I don't think it should get a reboot just for that. People are acting like this will be like Nemesis, which did far worse financially and far worse critically, that's a situation that necessitates a reboot. In this case I think Paramount will take their loss and movie on to the next one.
Old 08-15-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I think they'll gauge general response, which has been quite good.
Old 08-15-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by DynamicKnight
While financially Beyond didn't do very well, I don't think it should get a reboot just for that. People are acting like this will be like Nemesis, which did far worse financially and far worse critically, that's a situation that necessitates a reboot. In this case I think Paramount will take their loss and move on to the next one.
I think they're aware that the promotional campaign for the movie was generally considered to be pretty bad by people outside the studio. I think that's going to weigh into it - and it may end up with someone being replaced in the promotional department.

They made a lot of mistakes promoting the movie, and hopefully they will learn from that.
Old 08-15-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah after watching the movie, no way in hell Beastie Boys should have been in the trailer. It hurts the climax because you knew that was the song they were going to play.
Old 08-15-16, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah after watching the movie, no way in hell Beastie Boys should have been in the trailer. It hurts the climax because you knew that was the song they were going to play.
Yeah, that was a huge mistake - but as big of a mistake as it was it was one of the smaller mistakes that the marketing people made!
Old 08-15-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Star Trek has never been aimed at kids, and I hope it never is.
Originally Posted by The Cow
There was an attempt...

And even then it wasn't really aimed at kids. During pre-production there was talk of having junior cadet versions of every cast member (see picture on this page http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bgd.html ) but they thankfully nixed that idea. You can even read a rejected script that would have included the junior cadets here :
http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/pilot...er-was.281502/

The 22 half hour episodes that were produced, while still suitable for Saturday morning entertainment, were still created as legitimate Star Trek stories especially considering how many people from the original show were involved. While not as sophisticated, I still include TAS as a completely valid entry into the Trek canon.
Old 08-15-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And even then it wasn't really aimed at kids. During pre-production there was talk of having junior cadet versions of every cast member (see picture on this page http://www.danhausertrek.com/AnimatedSeries/Bgd.html ) but they thankfully nixed that idea.
Is it just me, or does Sulu look like John Cho in this concept drawing?

Old 08-22-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

I finally saw this last week. While I liked a lot of parts of it, the whole villain motives and machinations really turned me off. I felt some of it wasn't really clear, and although I read this article, which helped clear up a lot of details, it didn't make me like the actual story choices any better. And I hated the whole bioweapon thing, which to me came across as one of the biggest and most obvious MacGuffins I've seen in quite a while.
Old 08-22-16, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I didn't see the trailer but they already included that song in the first "new" Star Trek movie. And not being a huge Trek fan, I had to double-check to make sure the story took place in the future (even compared to now) so that song would have actually existed when Kirk was that age. Glad his musical taste improved as he got older.
Old 09-04-16, 08:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Star Trek Beyond grossed $2.45 million (+11%) for the seventh weekend and $3.2m (+33%) over the holiday after beaming back into some IMAX theaters for this week only. That’ll give the sci-fi sequel a $155m domestic cume after Monday. The Paramount/Viacom Inc. sequel made $30.1m in three days thus far in China which puts the worldwide gross up to $286m thanks to debuts in Brazil and Venezuela. Next up is Argentina(September 8th), Mexico (September 9th), and Japan (October 21st). With $131m overseas, it has surpassed the foreign total ($127.9m) of Star Trek back in 2009.
Old 09-05-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

For all practical purposes it under performed by quite a bit.
Old 09-05-16, 10:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
not denying that, but I'm glad that there appears to be enough return for them to go ahead with a 4th (yes, I know it was already reported there would be, but so was Ghostbusters and Fantastic Four 2 at one point).
Old 09-05-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Yes, but that had nothing to do with the quality of the movie.

It had everything to do with one of the worst marketing campaigns I've seen in the last 15 years. Paramount themselves are to blame for the movie underperforming. The first trailer was awful, and while the subsequent trailers and TV spots were better, they still weren't very good and didn't do a good job at all of capturing the sense of fun (and nods to the old school Star Trek style) that this movie has.

And even with it underperforming, it isn't a bomb by any stretch of the imagination. It's going to be a profitable movie for Paramount within the next 12 months.
Old 09-05-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yes, but that had nothing to do with the quality of the movie.

It had everything to do with one of the worst marketing campaigns I've seen in the last 15 years. Paramount themselves are to blame for the movie underperforming. The first trailer was awful, and while the subsequent trailers and TV spots were better, they still weren't very good and didn't do a good job at all of capturing the sense of fun (and nods to the old school Star Trek style) that this movie has.

And even with it underperforming, it isn't a bomb by any stretch of the imagination. It's going to be a profitable movie for Paramount within the next 12 months.
I've got to agree with this. In terms of quality, I actually think it's the best of the three Kelvin-verse films. But Paramount chose to release it mid-July with what seemed a particularly subdued marketing campaign, particularly given that it's the 50th anniversary of Trek, almost as though they figured the fact of the anniversary itself would be more than enough to bring people into the theaters. And, of the ads that were out there, they didn't convey enough about what made this film unique from the others. Unfortunately, after the criticism of borrowing from Star Trek II in "Into Darkness", a prime focus of the ads for this film made it feel like they were compounding that error by borrowing from Star Trek III for this film. I really think they shot themselves in the foot on this one and I hope they will take away the proper lessons from this rather than making any knee-jerk changes in their approach to actually making the films.
Old 10-21-16, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Just watched this (looks and sound incredible) and liked it a lot. I still probably prefer Star Trek '09 but it is a big improvement on Star Trek Into Darkness both in terms of story and characters (and Lin did a great job directing, some beautiful shots). I hope Paramount gives them one more chance.

****/*****, (A-, 8.1/10, 3.25/4)
Old 11-07-16, 08:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Why was Admiral Spock's (Nimoy) stardate on his death only 33 years?

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-07-16 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^ Oh shit, Spock is a Jesus figure!
Old 11-07-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

So Krall wants to kill people because Starfleet made him a Captain? WTF?? And note to screenwriters - destroying the Enterprise has lost its impact. This is the 4th time throughout all the movies. Time to find a new gimmick.
Old 11-07-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why was Admiral Spock's (Nimoy) stardate on his death only 33 years?
I chuckled a bit at that. They went strict calendar for his birth and death dates, skipping the fact that he was much older as a result of traveling back in time.
Old 11-08-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

bought it before I saw it, watched it last night
I like how they handled Nimoy's death. The pic of the original crew was a nice touch.
Liked the movie overall, glad it wasn't basically a rehash of TSFS like Darkness was a rehash of TWOK
It reinforced my head canon that this timeline was already alternate to the existing continuity prior to the narada coming through the blackhole
Old 11-09-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So Krall wants to kill people because Starfleet made him a Captain? WTF?? And note to screenwriters - destroying the Enterprise has lost its impact. This is the 4th time throughout all the movies. Time to find a new gimmick.
Especially when they build another one in about 20 seconds at the end.
Old 11-09-16, 06:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Big Star Trek fan... loved JJ's 09 reboot... thought Into Darkness was not that good... finally got around to seeing this one and was quite disappointed. The plot was silly... the villain was weak. I like that it was "exploring new worlds" but this story bored me.

Time to bring in The Borg or scuttle the reboot series altogether.
Old 11-09-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

I agree about not giving a rat's ass about Krall's motivation against Starfleet. If it were written any weaker I would have had to check the credits for a Christopher Nolan writing credit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.