Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016) - The Trailer

...and why is that a problem?
Old 05-07-16, 06:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Oh, and here's the Magic Mike thread. Most of the comments are about the horny female audience and Olivia Munn's nipples: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ughey-etc.html
Old 05-07-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Here is a highlight of this forum's reaction to announcement of the male cast of The Expendables:

"Not many movies contain so much Awesome."
"Oh man thats pure man movie right there!"
"this could be the manliest, biggest, most bad-fucking-ass testosterone overdrive this side of a Commando/Uncommon Valor/Extreme Prejudice triple feature"
"I'm in."
"Can't wait."
"sounds good."
"I'm all in."
"The poster should have a warning: 'Not recommended for pussies.'"
"This like a movie based on Testosterone. No Vaginas allowed to see this flick for sure..."
"This movie's going to be insane."

This all from the first page, with only a brief description of plot.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...pendables.html
Again, the problem most people had with this Ghostbusters movie was that it seemed like a gimmick. You take a movie with four male leads and suddenly decide to do a reboot with four females. That's a gimmick. It be no different if we got a 21 Jumpstreet sequel with two female leads or a MIB movie with 2 female leads. Hell the Expendables was obviously a gimmick, and by the same token so was the Expendabelles before that thankfully died.
Old 05-07-16, 06:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Go back and re-read my post, I've edited it.

Here it is:

EDIT: Here's a gem, "I think it will be a well balanced movie. Man ass and peen shots for the women and gay men, oliva munn boobies for the straight men."

Some others:
"I cannot wait to throw my money at this movie this weekend." That is so demeaning to their career choice!

"I can't believe we are two dudes arguing about the significance of Magic Mike."

There's this comment about the Bluray multipack: "+ 6-pack??? Beer or Abs?"
I'm not sure what you are argueing here Groucho. This forum is full of jokers. You yourself are one of the most legendary of them. When it comes to Magic Mike people made stripper jokes, when it comes to Ghostbusters 2016 someone made an undergarment joke. The Expendables generated a meme of epic proportions where people picked on Stallone. That thing where he was flying through the air. People make jokes.

Here's Sly:

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-07-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Just like I call bullshit on your story about how everyone cracked up at the trailer at your Civil War showing. The only difference being that I haven't defended this movie against literally every criticism that someone has thrown at it like you have.
It didn't pass my bullshit detector, believing it would also involve you following a mother and her small child around eavesdropping on their conversation, so maybe if I knew you better it would be more believable.

The only difference is I have more credibility than you do and my story actually happened.
Wow.

Seriously dude? Every chance you get to criticize the jokes in the original when someone criticizes the new one you do. The only difference is the original is a classic that has stood the test of time and this one is not looking to follow suit.
Pointing out that a "joke" in which Dan Aykroyd makes a goofy face and has his pants undone by a piece of fishing line is no more clever or intellectual than a joke in the trailer isn't denigrating the film. It's just calling someone on their bullshit. Ghostbusters isn't exactly high-brow humor. It has sex jokes. Jokes about snot. The sequel has a joke about fucking a toaster and at least one poop joke, and suggesting Wiig's line is insulting to those originals is bullshit. If Murray uttered that line after he got slimed nobody would think twice about it.

I'm a life-long Ghostbusters fan, there isn't an entertainment property I love more. I doubt anyone here could beat me in a Ghostbusters nerd-off, I'm almost certain my Ghostbusters dick is bigger than yours. That doesn't mean I can't point to an example of crude, ineffective humor in it to call you out on your bullshit.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-07-16 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Proving my own point: this post was made a mere 14 minutes after the female cast news was posted in this forum: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12187576-post713.html
Wow, I am actually flabbergasted. I never then, nor now, have said the movie is bad. On YouTube I gave the trailer a I just made an observational joke over the cast being all female. Obviously, not a very good joke. I was always in the "wait and see" camp.

No one has ever gave two shits about what I say and when it now happens, it was taken way out of context. So, to make it official:

I think a reboot is a mistake. Period. Regardless of cast.

I thought the trailer was okay. Just okay.

Individually, I like 3 out of 4 of the actresses.

Generally, I like Paul Feig movies.

I don't think the movie will turn out as bad as people think.

There. Now I don't have to post until after the movie is released.
Old 05-07-16, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
That doesn't mean I can't point to an example of crude, ineffective humor in it to call you out on your bullshit.
I hear you. You're entitled to your opinion. It's when you do it to prop up this new film, that you haven't seen, that I get annoyed.

You seem to love Ghostbusters in spite of its flaws, my argument earlier was that whatever perceived flaws you may see are irrelevant at this point. Thirty years of popularity and enjoyment pretty much put the film above any effort to criticize it.
Old 05-07-16, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I hear you. You're entitled to your opinion. It's when you do it to prop up this new film, that you haven't seen, that I get annoyed.

You seem to love Ghostbusters in spite of its flaws, my argument earlier was that whatever perceived flaws you may see are irrelevant at this point. Thirty years of popularity and enjoyment pretty much put the film above any effort to criticize it.
I haven't seen the movie but we've all seen the joke in question, and holding it up as an example of something disrespectful to the original is, again, bullshit.

Harold Ramis directed Bedazzled which was a remake. Ivan Reitman directed Father's Day which was a remake. Dan Aykroyd has written and/or appeared in more than one, including Dragnet which was a remake of a TV show. They all have projects with low-brow humor that would rival anything seen in the trailer. And that's not to mention all the movies they've made that are just simply shitty regardless. Even Murray, in spite of his reputation for carefully choosing roles.

When you nitpick the trailer, ask yourself if the creators of the original are guilty of the same things. That's not denigration. That's just using reason. It's common sense. Hold the creators of the original movie to the same standards you hold Paul Feig and you'll find that the overwhelming majority of your nitpicky bullshit criticisms fall away.
Old 05-07-16, 06:56 PM

My point isn't to call anybody out, it's to show that as a forum our reaction to male casting is to judge the actors on their merits but for female casting it's to reduce the actors to their gender. There was a rush to judgement against this film long before the trailer was released, and a clear established pattern.
Old 05-07-16, 07:15 PM
Banned

My point isn't to call anybody out, it's to show that as a forum our reaction to male casting is to judge the actors on their merits
...except when it's Magic Mike then everyone makes dick jokes and dismissive stripper jokes.
Old 05-07-16, 07:20 PM
Banned

When you nitpick the trailer, ask yourself if the creators of the original are guilty of the same things.
I don't nitpick the trailer, but if I did I'd suspect Feig and his cast of having made a film filled with many of these "same things". This is definitely a Dragnet, Father's Day, Bedazzled situation.

Or maybe just as he failed to see what is great about Ghostbusters, Feig also failed to learn any lessons from that team's creative failures (ie, remakes usually suck!).
Old 05-07-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

We should just lock this thread and never discuss Ghostbusters again.
Old 05-07-16, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

My point isn't to call anybody out, it's to show that as a forum our reaction to male casting is to judge the actors on their merits but for female casting it's to reduce the actors to their gender. There was a rush to judgement against this film long before the trailer was released, and a clear established pattern.
Wasn't some of the rush to judgment validated by the Sony leak and revelations about shutting out Reitman, the original plan for this movie, suing Bill Murray, etc.?
Old 05-07-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 05-07-16, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
To be fair, this isn't a sequel (barring fan theories of course).
Old 05-07-16, 08:17 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Who knew a thread for a trailer would get this much action
Old 05-07-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be fair, this isn't a sequel (barring fan theories of course).
There's also the fact that a filmmaker would be applauded for tackling a challenging project under any other circumstances, and also that the alternative is phoning in a by-the-numbers rehash of your prior successes.

But hey, lady Ghostbusters, am I right?
Old 05-07-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
...and why is that a problem?
Nobody's saying it is. The problem is the double standard when the genders are reversed. To wit:

Originally Posted by robin2099
Again, the problem most people had with this Ghostbusters movie was that it seemed like a gimmick. You take a movie with four male leads and suddenly decide to do a reboot with four females. That's a gimmick.
A movie with four dudes = totally normal

A movie with four chicks = pandering trash

If the remake is a gimmick, so was the original. But for a certain segment of the male audience, gimmicks are only bad when they're aimed at a different demographic.
Old 05-08-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I argued enough in the previous thread, but I still think it's a gimmick. Calling it a gimmick isn't itself bad, negative, sexist, or whatever, although many seem to want to take it that way. I think a lot of things in movies are gimmicks - crossovers, remakes, reboots, stunt casting, whatever.

It just seems to me given all the failed starts on a 3rd movie in the franchise that there was a very specific aim to gender swap in a remake with particular people involved to make the film and attract a particular audience.
Old 05-08-16, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Nobody's saying it is. The problem is the double standard when the genders are reversed. To wit:

A movie with four dudes = totally normal

A movie with four chicks = pandering trash

If the remake is a gimmick, so was the original. But for a certain segment of the male audience, gimmicks are only bad when they're aimed at a different demographic.
No, it's just MUCH less likely (an all woman Ghostbuster team). Lugging around big, heavy proton packs and engaging in a lot of physical activity is hard enough for a man, but for a woman? (And don't give me that, "Sexist," crap - women are significantly physically smaller and weaker than men on the average - that's just a measurable fact, not a value judgment, so the idea of an all woman Ghostbusting team lugging those proton packs around IS just a gimmick. The odds are pretty low for finding three women who are both scientists AND physically big and strong enough to handle those packs for any extended length of time, and then even if they were 3 female scientists who COULD handle the physical requirements why they wouldn't want a bigger, stronger man around (like a Winston) to handle some of the heavy lifting as the 4th member goes against practicality and logic.)

And that's why the all woman Ghostbuster team is a gimmick. Yes, I know Ghostbusters is a comedy, and yes I know it isn't meant to be realistic, but there are some things that take an audience out of a movie and make them shake their heads in disbelief, even with comedies.

Then you throw in a crappy trailer that makes the movie look awful and you get a lot of people really down on this movie.
Old 05-08-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
No, it's just MUCH less likely (an all woman Ghostbuster team). Lugging around big, heavy proton packs and engaging in a lot of physical activity is hard enough for a man, but for a woman? (And don't give me that, "Sexist," crap - women are significantly physically smaller and weaker than men on the average - that's just a measurable fact, not a value judgment, so the idea of an all woman Ghostbusting team lugging those proton packs around IS just a gimmick. The odds are pretty low for finding three women who are both scientists AND physically big and strong enough to handle those packs for any extended length of time, and then even if they were 3 female scientists who COULD handle the physical requirements why they wouldn't want a bigger, stronger man around (like a Winston) to handle some of the heavy lifting as the 4th member goes against practicality and logic.)

And that's why the all woman Ghostbuster team is a gimmick. Yes, I know Ghostbusters is a comedy, and yes I know it isn't meant to be realistic, but there are some things that take an audience out of a movie and make them shake their heads in disbelief, even with comedies.

Then you throw in a crappy trailer that makes the movie look awful and you get a lot of people really down on this movie.
Peppering your sexist tirade with "I'm not sexist but..." doesn't make it non-sexist.

Also: of all the male Ghostbusters you'd have lugging their gear like a caddy you pick Winston. Nice.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 05-08-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-08-16, 07:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I saw that too. Oooh. Not starting well there.
Old 05-08-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Prefacing your sexist tirade with "I'm not sexist but..." doesn't make it non-sexist.
Way to be so painfully PC. State facts (men are bigger and stronger than women on average), and get called sexist. That's pathetic.

Also: of all the male Ghostbusters you'd have lugging their gear like a caddy you pick Winston. Nice.
I picked the ONE NON-SCIENTIST to compare the ONE NON-SCIENTIST role to.

Wow. How nefarious of me. Use logic, have veiled accusations lobbed your way.

Again, pathetic.
Old 05-08-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's nothing "PC" about calling you out on your insane theory that women can't wear backpacks, friend.
Old 05-08-16, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Just close this thread again or move to politics.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.