Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What kind of movies were you weened on as a kid? Robocop and Rambo?
Wasn't a fan of the original either. While I loved Disney flicks, sometimes I felt they just left me cold, such as with Pete's Dragon and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

On the other hand, I saw Gus 4 times at the movies so I don't know if my opinion actually counts. Oyitch!!
Old 08-15-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Pete's Dragon remake (8/12/16, D: Lowery) S: B.D. Howard, R. Redford, K. Urban

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Wasn't a fan of the original either. While I loved Disney flicks, sometimes I felt they just left me cold, such as with Pete's Dragon and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

On the other hand, I saw Gus 4 times at the movies so I don't know if my opinion actually counts. Oyitch!!
I'm a Gus fan! No judgment here!
Old 08-15-16, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What kind of movies were you weened on as a kid? Robocop and Rambo?
Shit, yeah.

Born on July 8th, 1986.

The earliest memory I have is watching RoboCop in September 1989 while I was left at my cousins (both female) to which at some point RoboCop came on TV and I was fucking ecstatic in experiencing that thing the first time.

My early childhood was RoboCop, Hong Kong action films, US action films, WWF, Lucha Libre, Mexploitation flicks, Looney Tunes, Ghostbusters, Old Disney cartoon shorts, Popeye, and Bikini clad Latinas on Univision
Old 08-17-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Shit, yeah.

Born on July 8th, 1986.

The earliest memory I have is watching RoboCop in September 1989 while I was left at my cousins (both female) to which at some point RoboCop came on TV and I was fucking ecstatic in experiencing that thing the first time.

My early childhood was RoboCop, Hong Kong action films, US action films, WWF, Lucha Libre, Mexploitation flicks, Looney Tunes, Ghostbusters, Old Disney cartoon shorts, Popeye, and Bikini clad Latinas on Univision
I suddenly have the mental image of Robert Rodriguez's Babysitter Twins as your cousins letting you watch whatever you want on TV while doing whatever they want.
Old 08-17-16, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they were 10 and 7... then.. yes.

Honestly... I'm not sure why my parents weren't so much into giving me the Disney stuff. Honestly... I ony cared for Alladin as a kid. Didn't care for Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Lion King and a bunch of the older films. I always fancied Alice in Wonderland though.
Old 08-27-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I liked the original film, despite any imperfections I recognize now as an adult.

My son and I caught this one earlier today and thought it was great. Something about the ending seemed a bit off (everything from the bridge scenes to the finish), but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm sure the family will catch it again later when it's released on disc.
Old 12-01-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Picked this up on BD on Tuesday. It must have done pretty good at the box office, because there wasn't a single copy for sale on the shelf of both Walmart and Meijer. There was a space for it, but no BDs, just a few DVDs. I went to Meijer second, and asked the kid to go back and look for more, and he came back with a stack.

Anyhoo...

I was extremely impressed at how good of a family movie this is, both for kids and adults to enjoy. They definitely played up the tear-jerk/throat-lump factor with lots of sentimentality and a sweeping music score, but overall, I thought they did a great job with it, mainly because they kept a great distance from the previous cornball 70s musical version.
Old 12-01-16, 11:56 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

It did well enough for Disney to hire Lowery again to make a live action Peter Pan.
Old 12-01-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another live-action Peter Pan? How many do they need to do?
Old 12-01-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Before long, all movies and television will be remakes of Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz.
Old 12-03-16, 09:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

very nice movie. syrupy sweet and the music is very manipulative, but overall it worked. could see why it wasn't a smash though. played it way safe and just this shy of corny.

Old 12-05-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After viewing the movie a couple times, there was only one thing that took me out of the total enjoyment, and it was something toward the very end.

What in the hell is up with that stupid run Pete does when he runs to Grace after saying goodbye to Elliot? It's not even fair to say he runs like a girl, rather it looks as if he lost the bones in both arms, and they just flail from his shoulders like wet spaghetti.

Anyway, that was pretty much my only "WTF" moment for this film.