Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Westworld Remake (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Westworld Remake (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Westworld Remake

Variety has reported that the long in gestation remake of Westworld, the classic Yul Brynner movie about a robotic theme park that becomes deadly for the guests, is back in production after a two year hiatus with the hiring of The Cell director Tarsem Singh to helm.
From Film Rotation

Arnold Schwarzenegger had been attached to the project for a long time, before signing off of his acting career in 2003 and he is apparently not associated with the project now. According to Variety, though, Arnie wasn't going to star in the film in the most obvious role:

He wasn't, however, set to play the Yul Brynner role of the robotic gunfighter who turns an Old West vacation theme park into a nightmare, but one of the park guests.
Click here to read the full article.

Even with the hiring of Tarsem I wouldn't expect any sign of this film for a while as there is no screenplay or even writers attached to the project yet, but with the original showing it's age this could be one of those rare beasts - a successful remake.

At least we will get a 2 disc SE of the original on dvd...and futureworld
Old 08-26-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The first one was good.. I'm not sure about a remake. I bought the "Making of Westworld" disc during one of DDD's 20% sales, but it wasn't really worth it, so a better edition of Westworld would be nice. How is Futureworld.. I've never seen it?
Old 08-26-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Futureworld is a lower budget sequel from American International Pictures. Not bad. Deals with a conspiracy to rerplace world leaders with robot look alikes.
Old 08-26-05, 03:42 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With today's technology, they could do wonders with this story.
Old 08-28-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Wow, I really liked the first one. I need to watch it again, it's been way too long.

This could be a cool remake, I'd probably check it out.
Old 08-28-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More fattening for this decade of remakes? What about some new ideas?
Old 08-28-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird. I was just thinking the other day how this movie would be a great candidate for a remake (though I love the original). Even weirder, a couple of weeks ago I was wondering what the hell happened to Tarsem Singh after The Cell. I must be psychotic!
Old 08-28-05, 12:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Weird. I was just thinking the other day how this movie would be a great candidate for a remake (though I love the original). Even weirder, a couple of weeks ago I was wondering what the hell happened to Tarsem Singh after The Cell. I must be psychotic!

Sig material.
Old 08-30-05, 11:02 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I liked both Westworld and Futureworld. Looking forward to the remake regardless of who stars.
Old 08-30-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a director, I've always found the original film's director Michael Crichton to have a strangely antiseptic style of directing that actually reminds me of a slightly more accessible Stanley Kubrick and I think that style served the first film very well. I think a successful remake is going to be a tougher gig than some people think it's going to be.
Old 04-21-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of this movie. It had charm and the special something that makes all movies good, killer robots.
Old 04-21-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's already been remade. It was called Jurassic Park, which indicates how good a Westworld remake could be if they do it right.
Old 04-21-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I dino poop on your jurassic park. I want killer robots in cowboy hats not t-rex in a toga.
Old 04-22-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I dino poop on your jurassic park. I want killer robots in cowboy hats not t-rex in a toga.
I want lots of killer robots too. Wanted to make the point that if done right the concept could be one of the best and highest grossing movies of the year.
Old 04-22-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
This would actually probably be a good remake. But they need to find someone that had the presence that Yul Brenner had or it will not work. He scared the crap out of me when I saw this as a kid...
Old 06-08-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Westworld: The Remake

According to SCI FI Wire, there are plans for a remake of Westworld.

Writer/director Billy Ray told SCI FI Wire that he's currently writing the script for a new version of the SF film Westworld for Warner Brothers, but added that he may not direct it. "There is no director attached," Ray (Shattered Glass) said in an e-mail interview to promote the DVD of his film Breach. "I would resist the idea of directing it myself, not that they've offered it to me, because I don't want the pressure of that kind of a budget sitting on my shoulders."
I can see why they're choosing to remake this film, given the caliber of today's CGI and special effects. But, what, every other movie that comes to theaters now is either a remake, a sequel, or an adaptation of a "classic" television show. I kinda wish they would just stick to making new movies that rip off old ideas without acknowledging them (Hello, Michael Bay, I'm talking to you).
Old 06-08-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435612
Old 06-09-07, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
I can see why they're choosing to remake this film, given the caliber of today's CGI and special effects.

I can't!

Today's CGI isn't always that great, and in some cases, pretty bad. Like a lot of remakes these days, IMO there is no need to remake this one either, as the original still holds up pretty well.

Why can't they leave them alone and try to come up with something original? Now that's a novel idea eh?!
Old 06-10-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad14
Why can't they leave them alone and try to come up with something original? Now that's a novel idea eh?!
A lot of original movies come out each year, they just don't get as much discussion. I think it has to do with everyone knowing the original, so they can comment on it. New movies, it's less likely the majority of people know anything about them, so less discussion.

Anyway, I think a remake could be pretty cool.
Old 06-10-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no problem (as usual) with this remake. I love the original but mostly for the idea behind it, not for the quality of the movie. A remake, if done well, could kick all sorts of ass.
Old 06-10-07, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
A lot of original movies come out each year, they just don't get as much discussion.
Okay, you're probably right about that, I concede, but I still think there are far too many remakes of old hits.
Old 06-10-07, 02:20 PM
Suspended

this news was really popular when jurassic park came out like 15 years ago because its a similar story line by the same author. i don't see it holding up.
Old 06-10-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Unless they can resurrect Yul Brynner, who was just so amazing in the first one, then I'm not interested in seeing it.
Old 04-07-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: Westworld Remake (merged)

I usually hate remakes but this would not be a bad idea plus the movie came out a long time ago and not the 80's where it is fresh in everyones memory.

According to Wiki

A remake was speculated to star Arnold Schwarzenegger, with Tarsem Singh directing and Terminator 3 screenwriters Michael Ferris and John Bracanto to write the script.
The remake was still in development as of 2007 but a director was not attached to the film. Quentin Tarantino was approached, but turned it down.
On January 19, 2011, Warner Bros announced that plans for the remake were still active.

Old 04-07-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Westworld Remake (merged)

This could work with a good director....and Michael Fassbender in the Yul Brynner role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.