Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will DC fail?
Yes
45.45%
No
36.36%
What are you high?
18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Will DC fail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 06:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Will DC fail?

I'm watching the special that was on the WB and just watching the footage and the way they say they are gonna connect it all together, I just can't help feel that this juggernaut will miserably fail...

Anyone else feel like this whole DC Universe will crash and burn or am I crazy?
Old 01-20-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Will DC fail?

Yes. BvS will be a hit, but I fear keeping TV and Movie Universes separate is going to backfire big time in the long run.
Old 01-20-16, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Nah. BvS will probably get mediocre reviews but do stellar box office.
Old 01-20-16, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It won't be Marvel successful. I guess that's the litmus everyone will be judging it by. It won't get anywhere near there. But there will be hits (BvS, Justice League), and misses (Wonder Woman, AquaMan, Suicide Squad).
Old 01-20-16, 07:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

It will make boatloads of money. So no, it will not fail.
Old 01-20-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yes. BvS will be a hit, but I fear keeping TV and Movie Universes separate is going to backfire big time in the long run.
You know what's even more pitiful? The fact that even some of their TV shows seem to be split into different worlds based on their network.

On the up side, WB will never have to be in the dilemma that Marvel faces regarding recasting and rebooting. We are all used to it with WB.
Old 01-20-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It'll peter out.
Old 01-20-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Depends on a) whether they persist in their idea to do ten films over a couple of years and b) whether they learn the Marvel lesson(s): remember the roots and care about the fans.

They sem to be over-extending themselves on a very shakey foundation. Marvel's films are popular broadly AND among fans. If DC can (re)capture it's fans - and that may be tough, thanks to some spectacular oddities in the comics as well as on film - then there's a hope. Or, perhaps "normal" people will decide to care about a third Universe (after Marvel and, presumably, Star Wars). It'll be interesting to observe - and moreso depending on thbquality/'accuracy'/popularity of the resulting film(s).

If BvsS isn't utterly awful, and if WW actually comes out and isn't terrible, DC might just sneak the first solo female superhero film and ride that wave upwards...
Old 01-20-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it'll be a failure box office wise, but it'll be a complete mess until they get their shit together in a way that benefits their universe and not just goes for the quick short term answering to Marvel but doing something to stand on their own.
Old 01-20-16, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the sense that they will not measure to Marvel, certainly. I suspect even the box office for BvS will be down given mixed reviews and people being sick of Batman and Superman movies. Personally I will probably wait till it hits BD like I did with MoS.
Old 01-20-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and I know it's not the popular thing to do but, reserving judgement until seeing BvS.
Old 01-20-16, 10:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The movies will make money but they'll never reach the heights of the MCU. They've rushed things trying to create their own DCCU and there's no fixing that at this point. Critically, we'll have to wait and see but I'm weary. I guess the answer to your question all depends on what you'd consider "failing"?
Old 01-20-16, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I feel that BvS and Suicide Squad will make money, but from then on things will go downhill after the quality of those films exposes the company like Green Lantern did. Everyone needs to remember that both FF movies, Daredevil, X-Men Last Stand, Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 made money, but the bad reviews due to the shitty quality of the films made Fox and Sony regroup and reboot or let rights go back (Daredevil). These DC films seem rush and already are to half assed starts (Green Lantern-which isn't even part of these DCU, and Man of Steel, which the more people see it, the more they hate it).

Will they fail in the short term? No. Long-term? Most likely, if they idiots at WB keep giving keys to the kingdom to Zack Snyder and Dan Didio. So far, their comic book division is going downhill at a steady decline. Won't be surprised if their film division of these films have the same fate. It's sad because so far, Flash, Arrow and iZombie have hit a positive note with the fans, with the potential of Legends of Tomorrow to do the same. On the other hand, Constantine was good but got screwed by NBC and Supergirl and Gotham are getting mixed reviews.
Old 01-20-16, 11:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

BTW: Gotham is great this season.
Old 01-20-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Depends almost entirely on the quality of the films. I'm on board with them doing it this way - but the stakes are much higher, they have to stick the landing on these next few films. BvS needs to be well received, make 1B+, Suicide Squad can get by with half of that (but still needs to be a well reviewed film).

WW needs to be a good film, hit 500-750m, JL part one is basically their Avengers...1B+ or bust. Love the ambition, but they need to hit home runs with every movie. 'The Batman' will be huge, and MOS2 should hold it's own. It's the B and C characters that are going to have to overachieve...Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg...and God help us...Green Lantern. If those movies make 500m I'd be very impressed.
Old 01-21-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Eventually the hype will die down pretty fast. But Marvel hype will keep going.

This BvS movie looks way too cable/tv made. The special effects look like shit.
Old 01-21-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Some of these complaints are completely ridiculous. I'm not particularly worried about Batman v Superman, they've had a very long time by production standards to polish it however they want.

I think Suicide Squad will end up being very popular in the end.
Old 01-21-16, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I voted no, but it really depends on what the criteria for failing is. I don't think they'll reach Marvel's consistency across all their characters in quality and box office, but they'll make decent money and do enough to keep going without having to throw in the towel and cancel plans for their upcoming slate.
Old 01-21-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I think due to a number of reasons, people are gonna stop giving a fuck about comic book movies before DC can roll out all the movies they have planned.
Old 01-21-16, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm watching the special that was on the WB and just watching the footage and the way they say they are gonna connect it all together, I just can't help feel that this juggernaut will miserably fail...

Anyone else feel like this whole DC Universe will crash and burn or am I crazy?
Jesus H. Fuck me in the Asshole Christ. Really? Another thread for bullshit. Man, you must be desperate for validation on the internet.
Old 01-21-16, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I doubt it will fail from a commercial perspective.

I hate Nolan's Batman trilogy and feel they fail on multiple storytelling levels but people continue to bow at that alter. I loathe Man of Steel but people will be lining up to see BvS.

Outside of the original Superman and Superman II I haven't really liked a DC movie (though I do remember enjoying an uncut VHS copy of Swamp Thing in the early to mid 80's) since. So, for me, DC has been nothing but one long cinema fail. I don't have a lot of faith that will change. The Suicide Squad trailer give a glimmer of hope but I don't know if I'll bite and actually pay to see it theatrically.
Old 01-21-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

All I know is, in the Batman/Superman trailer, Luthor's "Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent in the same room" line is way too fucking on the nose.
Old 01-21-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Old 01-21-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I really have zero interested in the DCU. I thought Man of Steel was weak and nothing I've seen of Batman Vs. Superman makes me want to see it. I'm not a MCU fanboy either but I have found I enjoyed most of those movies. For me, none of that stuff will ever top Nolan's Batman trilogy anyway.

I think Marvel just beat DC to the punch by years and people are going to get fstigued by all this "cinematic universe" overkill.
Old 01-21-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

How do you define failure? I think most of the movies they make will probably make money, but maybe not to the levels that Marvel is making. Just as i think characters feel a little burnt out on Spiderman and the number of movies he has had in a relative short period of time, i think people feel the same to an extent about the characters of Batman and Superman. The last Batman movie left a bit of a bad taste for most and Man of Steel left a lot disappointed. These are the two cash cows for DC so they need to ensure that they are used well. Wonder Woman is a big risk if you ask me. I am positive that it won't lose money, but i honestly do not think there is as much interest in the character as DC believes. Female action heroes have a hard time at the box office and a character that on film so far has really only been seen as a less than serious effort in the 70s is not a good place to follow on from. I actually think the character would have been better suited on TV rather than in movies. They already failed with a Green Lantern movie, but i think trying to reboot that series is a good idea as the character has potential to be in good movies. Aquaman is actually a good way to go for DC. Marvel still has the rights to Namor i think with Universal or one of the other production houses, so it will mean DC can beat them to bringing a sub-aquatic world to life. This could work really well on the big screen, as long as they don't cheapen it by ensuring that for 75% of the run time he is walking around New York or come generic landscape.

One big thing i still don't understand is why they decided to keep the TV and Movie universes separate and re-cast roles for movies that already have existing people playing them on TV. It seems there are two DC Universes, the TV Universe and the Movie Universe. Maybe we should start by calling it the DCTVU and the DCMU. One of the strengths Marvel has is forward thinking (to an extent) and trying to have threads running through movies and into TV and vice versa. This is great self promotion and prompts people to watch other shows or movies that might have a continuing thread to follow. Its smart business, and also follows the style of the comics very closely where cross-overs and team ups were happening all the time.

I really hope that DC does well, but they should learn that as Marvel started to depend a lot on one guy (Whedon) might not necessarily be a good thing. They may love what Snyder is doing, but to not look any further would hurt then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.