Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

mother! (2017, D: Aronofsky) S: Lawrence, Bardem, Pfeiffer, Harris

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

mother! (2017, D: Aronofsky) S: Lawrence, Bardem, Pfeiffer, Harris

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: mother! (2017, D: Aronofsky) S: Lawrence, Bardem, Pfeiffer, Harris

Just wanted to mention this finally showed up on Hulu, if anyone wanted to check it out. We watched it last night... I liked it, though JL's acting in the middle was kind of spotty.
Old 09-12-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I just discovered this was shot on 16mm. So now I’m not sure who to blame for how shitty the Blu-ray looks. Maybe it’s a crummy disc. The photography looked so soft with such weak blacks.
Aronofsky likes to make his movies look arty.
Old 09-12-18, 10:14 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Arty movies usually look good.

Again, the blocking and camera moves were superb. Brilliantly executed. But the actual photography was pale, with no deep blacks, and lacking in any grain. I had it pegged as digital.
Old 09-23-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Finally watched this last night. It's free with Amazon Prime right now.

I really liked it. I'm a fan of Aronofsky, but I didn't care too much for Noah and after all the negative reviews I stayed away from this for a while. I shouldn't have. As bizarre as this movie is, it's probably still more accessible than The Fountain (which I really like).

The whole thing is crazy, but as soon as I realized it was going to be allegorical and very surreal, I sat back and enjoyed the ride. I loved the camera following JL so closely. The sense of dread and tension and panic on her part is well played.

I will probably have to watch this again soon.
Old 12-15-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So, I'm watching the movie and yea... the last act is fucking bizarre. But not enough to warrant all the buzz (yet). And I think to myself... how bad could this get to justify all the headlines? What are they going to do...
Spoiler:
kill and eat the baby?
And then they
Spoiler:
killed and ate the baby.

I know some people have said the less you know going into to this one the better. But I would advise reading some interviews with Aronosky and Lawrence first about the allegory of it all. By the end of the movie, the allegory is apparent, but I think that knowing more about it going in would help identify what is going on more. That is something that could improve on second viewing, but I don't know how many will want to watch this again.

Everyone was good in the movie and it was well made.
Originally Posted by Dan
I'll add some spoilery thoughts. I strongly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to... y'know... actually see it before reading this stuff (including that review), but that's me. As I said in my post above, it's Aronofsky, so you know to expect some level of grotesque violence (this IS marketed as horror, and probably for that reason... to keep non-horror folks a bit further away for now) and religious symbolism that is, to be frank, so on the nose that I would consider it borderline insulting (if I didn't enjoy the movie so damn much)

Alright here we go. Let the serious spoilers commence!!

Spoiler:

My one-sentence summary is this:
Honestly... it's a climate change movie wrapped in the story of the bible, as told by a man who struggles with relationships and thinks of himself as a genius.

There's a few things going on with the film worth noting before getting into what Kyle Smith is likely talking about.
1. It's about an artist who seems to love his fame more than he loves his current art and his wife, despite the fact that she adores him. The whole "you love me more than I love you" sort of thing. So that's one arc: He's a tortured artist looking for inspiration, she wants to have a family, he brings in strangers, she just wants to be with him, things get... fucked up.

2. Stack that on top of the bible allegory. Javier is the creator. The house (and property) is his creation. He loves his creation and he wants more. He introduces Man. There's a leak (great flood, y'all). There's more men. He introduces his own Child. Things get... fucked up.

3. Stack that on top of history of the earth from the perspective of Mother Nature, as it fits within the story of the bible. She's just trying to keep shit in order. To keep balance. But her husband (the creator) is more in love with his fans than her. They eventually break a sink, causing water to go everywhere (great flood, y'all) and they all leave. But they come back. People get out of control, and the house is getting torn apart. They want her dead because she stands in the way. She (basically) says fuck it, and torches the place by damaging the oil tank in the basement and setting it on fire.

So yeah... things start out nice and quiet... but as more people are introduced into her world (the people are constantly talking about how gracious He has been, without giving Mother any respect at all) things just get worse and worse for her. She still calls the house his (because it IS his house), but she's the caretaker, and he's letting them fuck it all up. When she DOES call it HER house, people laugh and scoff at her.

So. Kyle Smith. He gets a few things wrong.

Oh yes, some folks at Paramount are about to get fired. That said, I don't think Aronofsky made this specifically to outrage Christians, but given that it is, by far, his most personal work representing his struggle with religion and climate change, offending folks was inevitable. What I mean is, I don't think he's thinking, "HAHA! You stupid Christians!" He's had a cynical view of religion for a long time, but there's more going on here than just his interpretation of the bible.

I could be wrong, but isn't the rock monster thing based on the text that pre-dated the bible as we know it?

He's missing the point here. Yes, she takes on the roll of Virgin Mary for the sake of the child birth, but she isn't Virgin Mary throughout the entire film. She's mother nature.

I respect this stance. 100%. If people don't want to see that 3rd act, they should walk out. It's heavy.

But this is silly.

Again, I DO respect this stance. It's not easy to watch. The only thing I can say is that at least there isn't a literal rape going on, but that doesn't change the fact that the beating scene is... tough to watch. It is.

Again, I don't think Aronofsky is MOCKING Christian dogma. I think he's telling us about his struggle with accepting some of it. But I respect that interpretation.

I finally saw this and wish I had read dex's advice before I watched it. I think I would have appreciated it more. Maybe because I watched it so early in the morning, but the religious allegories all went completely over my head and I was lost for the majority of the film. Had I known a little more, I think the over the top final third would have been more acceptable and made more sense.

So either I was too tired, too dense or just trying to watch it like it was a normal thriller and didn't really appreciate the movie very much at the end. Now going through and reading about it, it makes me want to watch it again but with a knowing eye.

Good write-up Dan!
Old 12-15-18, 08:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

^ Thanks! Re-reading that, I still hold pretty strongly towards all of those points. If anything, I didn't put enough emphasis on the
Spoiler:
climate change / oil stuff because... Yeah... That's the big message. Aronofsky works with anti-oil groups pretty regularly it seems. Thats totally fine, I'm just saying... That's what this movie is ultimately about I think.

When I went into it, I didn't catch all the allegory stuff right away... It definitely made for a super confusing experience.