Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Gods of Egypt (2016, Proyas) S: Butler, Coster-Waldau

Old 02-29-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Here's part 2 to what Proyas wrote earlier - this was written while the Oscars were playing, I believe:

‪#‎CRITICSSOWHITE‬

Not real. But maybe it should be. Most are white and male, are they not? So as an Egyptian guy, being called a racist by some of these people makes me feel a little queasy.

You know it must be hard to be a movie critic these days. I mean you are subjected to movie after movie to review for a “cynical” public - several every week sometimes - it must really take its toll on one’s nerves. And then there are some movies which come along with bloggers already bitching about them so doesn’t it make things a little easier if you are struggling for something to say? Well why not just say what those bloggers are saying, even if they haven’t seen the movie like you have. That will result in a review that will be received well. Won’t it? Only the film-makers will be annoyed with you. Who cares about them.

This way of thinking is human nature I suppose - it does not surprise me in the least as the web and the Rotten Tomatoes school of criticism supports this idea of reducing someone’s work to a series of stars awarded. I for one do not care about stars. Nor is this my vendetta against all critics. I know there are ones out there who are brave enough to express their own opinions about movies - and I want to encourage them in any way I can to stick to their guns, even if I have to criticise the critics, which for an artist means you will be instantly labelled as “crazy”.

People think I am angry because my film was not reviewed favourably. But you see I do not care if the reviews are positive or negative. I usually don't read them either way. And yes I generally take a fan’s opinion above a critic's. My fans are quite honest with me and tell me if they like something or not. I respect that. And most importantly I can trust their opinion as it is coming from a real place. Nor do I mind the bloggers who criticise for whatever reason - even over the racial controversy. As I have already stated I have sympathy for them, though I do not believe I could have done more in this regards for reasons I have stated elsewhere.

What I'm angry about is consensus reviewing - and how it damages movie making universally. I question the motives behind many critics response to my movie in this case. Some reviews so perfectly reflect the opinions of "hate" bloggers before the movie opened. Wonder why? Bloggers shape critics opinions - there is no denying that - more and more so. And the first professional reviews of a movie can poison the well - so that people are frightened to drink from it. I have seen that happen to many of my friends films recently and particularly to many original fantasy movies released in the past few years. So studios will probably stop making big budget original fantasy movies altogether. As a fan of the genre I think that would be a real shame. And... funny how the people who love to be so negative about films are the ones who have the hardest time being criticised.
Old 02-29-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

Paper today said this was the "first major flop of the year" despite being the week's #2 movie next to Deadpool. Oh well.
Old 02-29-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wasn't Zoolander 2 the first major flop of the year?
Old 02-29-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Paper today said this was the "first major flop of the year" despite being the week's #2 movie next to Deadpool. Oh well.
Yep, when you make $13m on a $150m budget, you're a major flop.

Originally Posted by windom
Wasn't Zoolander 2 the first major flop of the year?
Possible, but $50m isn't considered a "major budget" anymore apparently.
Old 02-29-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I thought people were actually looking forward to Zoolander 2, though that's exactly the sort of movie I won't pay theater prices to see.
Old 03-07-16, 08:29 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Filthy's review of this is classic:

http://www.filthycritic.com/index.ph...-gods-of-egypt
Old 03-07-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Filthy's review of this is classic:

http://www.filthycritic.com/index.ph...-gods-of-egypt

They should have hired Emma Stone to play a Nubian Princess. After all, she made such a convincing Asian last year.
It is not a joke. It is a shitburger, bad in every possible way: acting, effects, music, story, jokes. It is shitty mess being crammed down our throats.
Old 03-07-16, 08:37 AM
RIP

Matt Weatherford (filthy) is a genius.
Old 03-07-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That review is probably more entertaining than the movie.
Old 03-07-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd be utterly uninterested except for the fact that Proyas is directing. Doesn't interest me enough to actually pay to see it, but enough to Redbox it. Then again, I thought that In the Heart of the Sea wasn't as bad as everyone else did, so what do I know?
Old 03-07-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'd be utterly uninterested except for the fact that Proyas is directing. Doesn't interest me enough to actually pay to see it, but enough to Redbox it. Then again, I thought that In the Heart of the Sea wasn't as bad as everyone else did, so what do I know?
It'd definitely worth a rental. The Blu-ray will look and sound phenomenal though.
Old 06-08-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Gods of Egypt is now out on disc. Here is my review, as posted to my Facebook review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies.

Orbi-Wan: Out Of The (Red)Box - Gods of Egypt (PG-13)

From time to time, I will look at films that I either skipped the first time around, or that completely slipped by me and are now available on disc or digital download. They still have to meet the Orbi-Wan test - something sci-fi/fantasy/comic book related, something that parents may be considering for their kids to watch, or something that just tickles my Jedi fancy.

Last night, I checked out a fantasy adventure, now out for rental or purchase, that was recommended to me by my son, who said it reminded him of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts from the early days. The movie is called “Gods of Egypt”, and it definitely met and passed the Orbi-Wan test. This is a cheesy, cheesy fun concoction made by a talented director, and sporting a very entertaining cast.

Based EXTREMELY loosely on ideas derived from Egyptian mythology, the conceit is that, before there were Pharaohs and actual history, there was a time that the Egyptian “gods” walked among men, and ruled over them as leaders. Well, more like towered over them, as these beings are actually a good three or four feet taller than the average human. Also, they bleed gold, and have the ability to change into the classic forms we’ve seen in Egyptian wall paintings and carvings.

The current king of Egypt, Osiris, is ready to turn over the reins to his son, Horus, when Uncle Set (Gerard Butler, who is obviously having fun) shows up, kills the king and steals Horus’ eyes (not as gross as it sounds). Turns out Set has been killing other “gods” and stealing their primary powers in a bid to become the most powerful being in creation. (Hey, wasn’t this the plot of X-Men: Apocalypse, too?)

In the meantime, a human thief, Bek, who is in love with the most patient woman I have ever seen in this type of movie, loses his love to a deadly arrow, and decides to retrieve Horus’ eyes from Set in a bid to get Horus to help retrieve the girl from her journey to the “Afterlife”. Horus agrees to help Bek, and is intent on exacting his revenge on Set. Trust me, sounds complicated, but they do a good job keeping things straight.

“Gods of Egypt” is a throwback to the old Ray Harryhausen movies I grew up with and continue to enjoy as an adult. Mythological beings, some benevolent, some not so nice, meddling in the lives of mortal man and actually learning a thing or two from the plucky mortals. This surprisingly entertaining adventure features fantastic monsters, powerful beings, a LOT of humor and a very talented cast including Geoffrey Rush as grandpa Ra surfing above the Earth in a cool spaceship, fighting a monster every night intent on destroying creation. That alone earns this movie a thumbs up from Orbi-Wan, and I am giving “Gods of Eqypt” a 3.5 out of 5. Absolutely worth the rental.

For parents, I only caught one PG word in the whole movie. There is one scene with between Set and his new queen where they are together talking in bed (no sex shown), nudity implied but we only see her bare back and side. The violence is of a fantasy nature, little to no red blood, but gold is spilled. I was surprised at how tame the scares actually were. I personally thought the “afterlife” scenes in Disney’s “Hercules” were more intense than this. Still, I would use caution with kids under 12.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 06-08-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-08-16, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm glad you mentioned the old Harryhausen films, because that's what I was reminded of, and enjoyed it from that perspective.
Old 06-08-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm glad you mentioned the old Harryhausen films, because that's what I was reminded of, and enjoyed it from that perspective.
When my grown son said it was like Sinbad and Jason, I shed a tear of pride. Harryhausen movies were a staple in our house when he was growing up. He has my entire DVD collection, waiting to show it to my grandson when he gets old enough...
Old 06-08-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

What was the name of the actress that played Bek's girlfriend? She was really pretty... =)
Old 06-08-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Courtney Eaton:

She was also in Mad Max: Fury Road.
Old 06-08-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She has an outstanding rack and she's 5'10.
Old 06-08-16, 12:13 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
She has an outstanding rack and she's 5'10.
Googled and not disappointed.
Old 06-10-16, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched this and was expecting a Jupiter Ascending level shit show, but it actually wasn't that bad. Very much had a classic Harryhausen vibe. I'm sure it was intentional, but specifically Bek's voice when yelling/talking to the gods sounded right out of a Harryhausen movie.

Last edited by wmansir; 06-10-16 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and whilst it was no Doctor Zhivago it had a few moments of fun and i have seen much much worse in my life. Its one of those bad movies thats actually fun to watch. Gerard Butler is very much in the Sean Connery line of not being able to disguise his Scottish voice and he doesn't even attempt to 9 times out of 10. I did like some of the imagery, although the effects at times were pretty awful. Beks chick was pretty great looking and it would be worth venturing to the gates of hell for a rack like that. I would have given it a 5/10. 3 of those points goes for the tiddies.
Old 06-10-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a
I watched this a couple of weeks ago and whilst it was no Doctor Zhivago it had a few moments of fun and i have seen much much worse in my life. Its one of those bad movies thats actually fun to watch. Gerard Butler is very much in the Sean Connery line of not being able to disguise his Scottish voice and he doesn't even attempt to 9 times out of 10. I did like some of the imagery, although the effects at times were pretty awful. Beks chick was pretty great looking and it would be worth venturing to the gates of hell for a rack like that. I would have given it a 5/10. 3 of those points goes for the tiddies.

Some friends were over watching this and they kept saying how hot she was and those tits. Mein Gott!

In the scene where she enters the gates of purgatory and they ask her to place something of value on the scale, we were all, "you may place your tits on the scale." She would have been in heaven in no time!
Old 06-10-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe they should have gone this route to up the box office??

According to Papyrus Chester-Beatty I, Set is depicted as trying to prove his dominance by seducing Horus and then having intercourse with him. However, Horus places his hand between his thighs and catches Set's semen, then subsequently throws it in the river, so that he may not be said to have been inseminated by Set. Horus then deliberately spreads his own semen on some lettuce, which was Set's favorite food. After Set had eaten the lettuce, they went to the gods to try to settle the argument over the rule of Egypt. The gods first listened to Set's claim of dominance over Horus, and call his semen forth, but it answered from the river, invalidating his claim. Then, the gods listened to Horus' claim of having dominated Set, and call his semen forth, and it answered from inside Set.

Quite the myth on this one.
Old 06-11-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm watching it now on PPV, about 45 minute in. And I'm sorry, but I think it's terrible. And I liked Jason and Sinbad. But this just didn't work for me at all on any level.

Last edited by Daytripper; 06-18-16 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 09:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

My wife & I watched it this evening, we were both immensely entertained by it...

Definitely a keeper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.