Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie has the biggest emotional effect on you!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movie has the biggest emotional effect on you!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: What movie has the biggest emotional effect on you!

Originally Posted by Decker
Man that movie messed me up. Good call.
[QUOTE=Matthew Chmiel;12609210]To list some that haven't been discussed.

Never Let Me Go
Spoiler:
When Tommy has the mental breakdown after the discovery they're clones and he's going to die soon.

Yes, this one too was almost too unbearable to watch. Both sad and depressing. But what a beautiful film!
Old 12-29-19, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Good Will Hunting - even more so after Robin Williams had died. What a wonderful film.
Monsters Inc. - Seeing this in the theater, and, at the time, having a five year old, was very emotional. I still remember the whole theater going quiet.
Au hasard Balthazar - As mentioned in the Criterion Channel thread, it was a tough watch.
Pet Semetary - "No fair" Again, had a young child, at the time.
Old 12-29-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the movie that messed me up the most with a strong, visceral reaction was Dancer In the Dark. I've seen several von Trier movies since then (though not all of them) and haven't had a reaction nearly as strong.
Old 12-29-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Pretty much everything from Red getting out of prison until the end of Shawshank.

Close second is the scene where Luke burns Vader’s body.
I agree about Shawshank. That point onwards. But also the scene with Brooks getting out of prison and not cutting it on life outside is another highly emotional scene.
The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (01-02-20)
Old 12-29-19, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Boxer

close others: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Defiance, Munich, Tears of the Sun
Old 12-29-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This thread started in 2015 but no mention of the movie that emotionally affect me the most, until now...

The Plague Dogs (1982)

A great animated film, but gut-wrenching as hell.

trailer:

Old 12-29-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
This thread started in 2015 but no mention of the movie that emotionally affect me the most, until now...

The Plague Dogs (1982)

A great animated film, but gut-wrenching as hell.

trailer:
I have had that on my watch list for a long time, but hard to bring myself to watch it as I know its gonna be hard viewing and probably a total tear fest. Something about animated movies with adult themes from that period of time, they really didnt pull punches.
Old 12-29-19, 06:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Also, the last scene of Saving Private Ryan, when Matt Damon fades to his older self at cemetery and then collapsing a bit and realizing all they went through for him. And of course the always incredible Williams score. That always got to me. Then I saw Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and he plays father that molested his child. I haven’t seen Private Ryan in a bit, but think I remembered last time, after seeing KK,BB and not feeling as much bc of that scumbag he played that Kilmer bitch slapped. It’s funny how actors can do that...
Old 12-30-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

No movie affects me like the end of DS9. So many characters leaving, returning to their home, and Jake staring out the wormhole. I just can't watch that ending and remain unemotional.

Well ok, maybe one movie, "Grave of the Fireflies." About the most dismal story ever.
Old 12-30-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

[QUOTE=Daytripper;13662214]
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
To list some that haven't been discussed.

Never Let Me Go
Spoiler:
When Tommy has the mental breakdown after the discovery they're clones and he's going to die soon.

Yes, this one too was almost too unbearable to watch. Both sad and depressing. But what a beautiful film!
The Japanese author who wrote the book also wrote Remains of the Day which isn’t quite as devastating but is still a very sad emotional ride with a heartbreaking performance from Sir Anthony Hopkins. Honestly it might be his best work.
Old 12-30-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
No movie affects me like the end of DS9. So many characters leaving, returning to their home, and Jake staring out the wormhole. I just can't watch that ending and remain unemotional.

I'm usually not THAT affected emotionally by movies or TV (a little, but not a lot), but the last episode of Babylon 5 (Sleeping In Light) gets me every time.

It is the most bittersweet ending I've ever seen, and the writing and acting are ridiculously good. The fact that I was really invested in the show made it even more of an emotional steamroller, but even if I were a casual fan it's just that well written and acted that it hits home.
Old 12-30-19, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I saw Schindler's List when I was really young and didn't understand the full gravitas of the film. Now I'm married with kids, and I picked up the Blu-ray and a couple years ago, I watched it alone downstairs. In the scene when...
Spoiler:
the adults are distracted and finally notice their children waving "Goodbye!" as they're trucked away, oblivious to their doom, while the parents are powerless to stop it

...I started screaming in rage and wailing in despair. My spouse ran downstairs two flights because she thought I'd gotten injured or something. I was inconsolable for at least fifteen minutes. I finished the film that night, but I haven't watched it since. I will eventually but I'm in no rush.
I saw the movie when it first hit home video, and I thought it was an amazing movie - but I have had no desire to watch it again since. I don't think I ever will. That one is just too much. I think everyone should see it at least once, but more than that it just too much for a lot of people.
Old 12-30-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Well, if we're going with TV shows now... M*A*S*H* "Abyssinia, Henry" got to me even though I was only 7 at the time. I was fully invested into watching and it was a surprise ending to a half hour show.
Old 12-30-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I had read and loved the book as a kid and the ending is very hard. I lost the title in my memory over the years, just had flashes of the story.

We go to the movie in the theater because it looks good. About ten minutes in, I realize this movie is the book and I tell my wife I want to leave, I dont want to see this. She is, of course, rightfully confused, because I'm suddenly crying the minutes into the movie in anticipation of the ending. We stayed and she found out why I didn't want to stay.

We have the DVD. I don't think we've ever watched it.
I saw the movie for the first time on a TV broadcast (maybe TBS or TNT). After watching it and how much it impacted me, I bought it on DVD.
Old 01-02-20, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Field of Dreams
Old 01-02-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Flowers in the Attic (1987). I was probably 7 or so when i watched it. Way to young to grasp the horror of insanity, greed, abuse and destruction of the small and innocent. I don't think ever got over it
Old 01-02-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Bridge to Terabithia

Thought I was watching a fantasy genre movie, but the movie had a huge curveball that hit me hard. And to find out it’s loosely based on the book author’s life made more of an impact.
I had read and loved the book as a kid and the ending is very hard. I lost the title in my memory over the years, just had flashes of the story.

We go to the movie in the theater because it looks good. About ten minutes in, I realize this movie is the book and I tell my wife I want to leave, I dont want to see this. She is, of course, rightfully confused, because I'm suddenly crying the minutes into the movie in anticipation of the ending. We stayed and she found out why I didn't want to stay.

We have the DVD. I don't think we've ever watched it.
When the movie came out in 2007, literary fantasy was a hot genre in the aftermath of LOTR and with the ongoing Harry Potter and Narnia. The Terabithia trailer really pushed the fantasy elements, but that really wasn’t the crux of the movie. It’s a gut punch for sure.

I think it was the first BD I ever owned, but I don’t think I’ve ever watched it.

Old 01-02-20, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I saw the movie when it first hit home video, and I thought it was an amazing movie - but I have had no desire to watch it again since. I don't think I ever will. That one is just too much. I think everyone should see it at least once, but more than that it just too much for a lot of people.
I have in fact, not totally finished the film. I think I was about 90min-2hrs in. Which is better than Thirteenth, which I got 7min into before I couldn't handle it anymore.
Old 01-03-20, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Arrival is the most recent one for me. It’s such a beautiful exploration of the idea that love is worth sharing, even if you know it will eventually be lost. As a father of two young boys, it really hit me, though I think its statement extends beyond the framing of a parent’s love for their child.
IBJoel (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 09:46 AM

oh nice we can do Likes now
Daytripper (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
oh nice we can do Likes now
Started on Dec 19th.
nando820 (01-03-20)
Old 01-03-20, 09:56 AM

i don't like the way it displays. It should be embedded within the post instead of creating another block under. But i guess it goes with the early 2000s style they are going for
Old 01-03-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
i don't like the way it displays. It should be embedded within the post instead of creating another block under. But i guess it goes with the early 2000s style they are going for
There's a thread about it in Feedback if you wanna ask Joel if there's a different way to display it. I would guess there isn't but never hurts to ask.
Old 01-03-20, 12:45 PM

thank you
Grave of the Fireflies!!
faust69 (01-05-20)
Old 01-03-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I just finished watching Lukas Moodysson's Lilya 4-ever.

Holy shit!!!