Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are horror movie magazines such as Fangoria and Rue Morgue worth reading these days?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are horror movie magazines such as Fangoria and Rue Morgue worth reading these days?

Old 01-01-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I didn稚 grow up in the era where these would be the first stop for film news. I知 wondering if anybody here reads them now, or grew up with them. I知 a longtime American Cinematographer subscriber, which still is packed with info, and I知 wondering what the others have to offer today.
Old 01-01-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Re: Are horror movie magazines such as Fangoria and Rue Morgue worth reading these days?

I read Fangoria for a long time but they started leaning more toward low budget garbage movies that I had no interest in. The subscription also became a little pricey.

I enjoyed it overall though.
Old 01-01-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Are horror movie magazines such as Fangoria and Rue Morgue worth reading these days?

When I lived in San Diego, there was a bookstore that carried Rue Morgue. It was pretty expensive to subscribe to, since it was an import. I miss it so i have no idea what it's like nowadays.
Old 01-01-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I used to enjoy movie magazines like these and Empire, but anymore I find it sort of pointless buying them or really most magazines.
Old 01-02-20, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I never got into fangoria for the reasons listed above. I did subscribe to Rue Morgue for a bunch of years. It’s a good magazine. Just a shame it costs so fucking much.
Old 01-02-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Like others said, Fangoria really, really focuses on these insanely low-budget, little seen horror movies that I'll largely never watch, so I'm not a fan of that magazine...That said, there's a couple bookstores I've been to that had really old back issues of Fangoria, and those were great...Some of the features they had on some of the Friday the 13th movies, the Halloween movies, and the Nightmare on Elm Street movies were terrific and very informative (they weren't fluff pieces)...

Rue Morgue I was never a fan of...

I still like to buy every new issue of Empire and Total Film (even though, because I'm in North America, by the time I get those mags, most of the news they "break" has been splashed all over the internet weeks prior) because they still have great in-depth interviews with great filmmakers, and I love to read some of their opinion pieces (especially when they make movie lists and/or rank movies...those are always fun to read)...And I enjoy their reviews...
Old 01-03-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I grew up on Fangoria. In the mid to late 80s, there was no better source for news on upcoming horror movies. With the advent of the internet, they lost the ability to break news and kind of lost their identity along the way. The final print edition was in October of 2015. A few years later, in 2018, they relaunched with the first issue of Volume 2. Published quarterly and pretty much unavailable in-stores, the issues are much larger than in the past and they focus more on in-depth behind the scenes stuff than just doing the typical fluff piece to hype an upcoming movie. I've enjoyed this latest run so far.

The other magazine I find worthwhile is HorrorHound. Published bi-monthly, it focuses on upcoming releases while featuring retrospectives on popular movies and franchises of the past. It is also home to Horror's Hallowed Grounds, where they visit filming locations to show what they look like now as compared to in the movie.