Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie scenes you feel contained some of the best acting ever filmed.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie scenes you feel contained some of the best acting ever filmed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 08:48 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Movie scenes you feel contained some of the best acting ever filmed.

Originally Posted by Lastblade
My personal favorite:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qM-gZintWDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I personally liked the "It's not your fault" scene later in the film. I get tears every time I see that part.
Old 08-24-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Tom Hanks when he finally breaks down in Captain Phillips. All through the film, I'm sitting there watching Tom Hanks play Capt. Phillips, when this scene happens and I no longer saw Tom Hanks. I just saw a man coping with everything that just happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IJMDdT24_98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This just shows how people can have different opinions on what is considered great. First time i have seen this scene (not seen the movie) and i found it to be rather an expected performance and acting gimmicks for a character that has just gone through a difficult experience. I think any half decent actor watching real life footage of survivors in the moments after they are rescued could have done just as good a job, and probably better.

I have a problem with a lot of Hanks acting though as i find he has little range. He always comes across as Tom Hanks and very rarely as the character he is supposed to be. Seems like a nice guy in real life, but i am never rushing to see a Tom Hanks film. Last time i was impressed by one of his movies was Road to Perdition, and it wasn't due in large part to him.
Old 08-24-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Take Shelter - Michael Shannon "There's a storm coming."
That scene gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it. Wow.

I'd add the scene in Taxi Driver where Bickle is talking to The Wizard outside the coffee shop. DeNiro is brilliant.
Old 08-24-15, 09:47 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
That scene gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it. Wow.

I'd add the scene in Taxi Driver where Bickle is talking to The Wizard outside the coffee shop. DeNiro is brilliant.
Easily in my top 5 of greatest performances I've ever seen, along with "Raging Bull."
Old 08-24-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I personally liked the "It's not your fault" scene later in the film. I get tears every time I see that part.
Really? I found that scene to be the weakest, most cliched bit of scripting imaginable. Williams and Damon did their best with the material but the dialog there was terrible.

All IMO of course. I thought they did better work throughout the rest of the film. That scene, though, almost ruined the movie for me.
Old 08-24-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Tony Leung and Jacky Cheung in Bullet in the Head

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xxjpjb?start=2508" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Bullet In The Head (1990) pt. 2 by karimberdi
Old 08-24-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This was my first thought upon seeing the thread title. I can't remember the last time I was left speechless by a single scene for acting alone. Truly amazing bit of acting from Hanks. Frankly, if he had won the Oscar for just that 2 minute scene I would have been ok with it.
I haven't seen the movie before, but watching that clip it's the EMT who helps sell the scene for me. Her performance feels very "real" from my experience in hospitals, which adds weight to what Hanks is doing.
Old 08-24-15, 03:23 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
This just shows how people can have different opinions on what is considered great. First time i have seen this scene (not seen the movie) and i found it to be rather an expected performance and acting gimmicks for a character that has just gone through a difficult experience. I think any half decent actor watching real life footage of survivors in the moments after they are rescued could have done just as good a job, and probably better.

I have a problem with a lot of Hanks acting though as i find he has little range. He always comes across as Tom Hanks and very rarely as the character he is supposed to be. Seems like a nice guy in real life, but i am never rushing to see a Tom Hanks film. Last time i was impressed by one of his movies was Road to Perdition, and it wasn't due in large part to him.
I like Hanks, but he sure loves to Oscar whore.
Old 08-24-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I haven't seen the movie before, but watching that clip it's the EMT who helps sell the scene for me. Her performance feels very "real" from my experience in hospitals, which adds weight to what Hanks is doing.
IIRC, she's not an actor, but a real field nurse. And if you haven't seen the whole film, it's hard to understand this one little scene. Because he is pretty much just Tom Hanks reading lines throughout the movie. No real emotion as he plays Capt Phillips as one note as he could.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/bp/real...211216628.html
Old 08-24-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have a problem with a lot of Hanks acting though as i find he has little range. He always comes across as Tom Hanks and very rarely as the character he is supposed to be. Seems like a nice guy in real life, but i am never rushing to see a Tom Hanks film.
Old 08-24-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, she's not an actor, but a real field nurse.
The marine recruiter in Winter's Bone worked really well for the same reason.
Old 08-24-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

With all the scholck he's churned out the past ten years, it's sometimes easy to forget how great an actor Denzel can be when he actually wants to. I love him in this scene - you totally lose the movie star in the character here. I feel for Rubin, deeply

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nQkiJT2MR4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-24-15, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Henry Thomas in E.T. Every scene he's in.

Also little Carey Guffey in Close Encounters when he sees the aliens for the first time and the camera never leaves his face. Maybe not "acting" but it was a great moment capturing a genuine reaction.
Old 08-24-15, 08:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Henry Thomas in E.T. Every scene he's in.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tA5giyG8E7g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the kid fucking nailed it.
Old 08-24-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember going to a movie years ago because I heard awesome things about it, and gave it a shot because Superman was in it. I was completely blown away by a black guy I had never hard of and wouldn't have been able to name a few days after the movie. Until he was nominated for best supporting actor and eventually became a well known icon almost everybody can name just by hearing his voice.

Morgan Freeman - Street Smart. Every scene. Superman holds his own pretty well too.
Old 08-24-15, 08:50 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I love the acting in this scene because it was the first time Will asked a question from Sean and wasn't trying to press his buttons. When he asked Sean if he wondered what his life would be like if he had never met his wife and the follow not meaning anything by it. It was very subtle and showed him slowly opening up to Sean unlike how he had been before to Sean or any of the other shrinks. Plus the story about the game is awesome.

Last edited by Dvdlovr24; 08-24-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvdlovr24
I love the acting in this scene because it was the first time Will asked a question from Sean and wasn't trying to press his buttons. When he asked Sean if he wondered what his life would be like if he had never met his wife and the follow not meaning anything by it. It was very subtle and showed him slowly opening up to Sean unlike how he had been before to Sean or any of the other shrinks. Plus the story about the game is awesome.

Personally I prefer the scene where he tells Will he will end him if he disrespects his wife again. It's really rare that Williams ever got to show anger in his roles, but he sure was good at it.
Old 08-24-15, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tA5giyG8E7g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the kid fucking nailed it.
Wow. I've never watched that before. Holy shit he was born for that role.
That scene where he's talking to ET's body? It got me in 82 and I still get choked up. Shame he didn't have a huge movie career after that, but regardless that performance was amazing and the movie wouldn't be nearly as much of a classic without his work.

Same goes for Haley Joel Osmet in The Sixth Sense. That kid was just amazing. Should have won that Oscar. I recently watched it again with my daughter (before somebody spoiled the ending for her, and right after we watched The Usual Suspects together for the same reason). I was blown away by how mature and heartbreakingly sad his performance was.
Old 08-24-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The "Stuck in the Middle with You" torture scene in Reservoir Dogs is too intense for me. The acting is just too realistic. Madsen and Baltz play that scene up to the grisly, stomach-churning hilt.

Also: Kirk Baltz never got enough credit as Officer Marvin Nash. His character is brutalized in various forms all the way through the film and his fear and anguish is palpable. It's too bad Baltz didn't really get to shine like that in any other movie (that I'm aware of).

Last edited by PatD; 08-25-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

A couple off the top of my head:

-Final moments of At Close Range, with Penn bursting into tears in court. Brilliant.

-Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer. I could pick from many amazing moments, but I love when he, having been fired from his job at a very inopportune time, gives the execs at the new ad agency an ultimatum. A virtuoso piece.
Old 08-25-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
With all the scholck he's churned out the past ten years, it's sometimes easy to forget how great an actor Denzel can be when he actually wants to. I love him in this scene - you totally lose the movie star in the character here. I feel for Rubin, deeply

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nQkiJT2MR4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I thought one of his better roles was in Glory. The wagon wheel scene was amazing. He should have won something for that role.
Old 08-25-15, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MScottM
I thought one of his better roles was in Glory. The wagon wheel scene was amazing. He should have won something for that role.
He did.

Old 08-25-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
He did.

You are right. Don't know how I forgot that. Must have been because I was pissed about him winning the Oscar for what I consider to be one of his "lesser" roles in Training Day. Why he had to win playing a POS corrupt cop instead of for a "role model" role, I don't know.
Old 08-25-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

The Oscar win for Training Day was a "make up" award for not awarding him for The Hurricane.
Old 08-25-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Tom Hanks when he finally breaks down in Captain Phillips. All through the film, I'm sitting there watching Tom Hanks play Capt. Phillips, when this scene happens and I no longer saw Tom Hanks. I just saw a man coping with everything that just happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IJMDdT24_98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I guess people see things differently. Just saw this scene for the first time last night (and the movie, too) and it just felt, well acted. Reading ahead I guess the nurse was real and she felt it, and to me it just made it more obvious that he was acting. I would have single out her acting because it seemed some natural and believable but not his. Full disclosure: I never really bought in to the movie itself. I just got tired of the Somalians just yelling all the time. Just felt overdone and just annoying rather than tense so maybe since I was not invested in the movie I was not invested in Tom Hanks character either so the acting was more noticeable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.