Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 03-05-19, 04:54 AM
  #851  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
https://movieweb.com/star-wars-9-mark-hamill-vow-of-silence

Mark Hamill Takes a Vow of Silence on Star Wars Movies



The no comment stance doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence for IX.
He probably knows he’ll get reprimanded for saying anything negative. I think reading the article you can definitely tell he’s disappointed that Luke isn’t alive in IX and is only a character in flashbacks or Force ghost form.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 06:33 AM
  #852  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,159
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Rian Johnson, constantly reaffirming my opinion that he can fuck himself. Not sure how he got involved with a franchise so big only to crap on it and it’s fanbase.

Just so we don't get yelled at by the mods, I'll keep this to a broad comment that still includes Episode 9. Yes, F**k Rian Johnson, but F**k JJ Abrams too as he put all of these OT characters in a crummy position to start with and set up no possibility for that reunion of the 3 in TFA. And this forces them to drag out old TFA Leia footage for Episode 9, as I have a suspicion they splice old/new footage together for some cheap flashback reunion just to make up for all the mistakes they made in TFA & TLJ. I will say it over and over again, they should have given Han, Luke, and Leia legacy roles in TFA and they can pass the torch so Episode 8 and 9 are about the new characters. That way you give the OT fans one more nostalgia trip (which TFA accomplished as it is the highest domestic grossing movie of all-time) and than move the F**k on with the story and focus on the new characters. Disney wanted their cake and eat it too by milking the OT characters for 3 movies (obviously they get asses in the theater) and now they divided the fanbase after the handling of Luke. Episode 9 should be about Rey and Kylo Ren, but instead the focus in the trailers and marketing will be on 80 year old Billy Dee Williams, old footage Carrie Fisher, and whether Luke is a Force Ghost.
coli is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 06:40 AM
  #853  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
He probably knows he’ll get reprimanded for saying anything negative. I think reading the article you can definitely tell he’s disappointed that Luke isn’t alive in IX and is only a character in flashbacks or Force ghost form.
Or maybe we can read the reason given by the man himself:
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/mark...tfall-season-2
But I have a tendency just to talk and talk and talk, and you can cherrypick. You know, I’ll be reading something, and say, “What moron said this?”, and then realize, “Oh, it’s me.” They can take selective comments you’ve made out of context and use it to support their argument: “See, Mark hated Star Wars!” “Did I?”
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 06:41 AM
  #854  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,408
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

still mindboggling that after all these years they didn't have a planned out trilogy arc going into this.
TGM is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 06:57 AM
  #855  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
still mindboggling that after all these years they didn't have a planned out trilogy arc going into this.
Well, I mean, there was one, by George Lucas, but they threw it out the window. Can you imagine how bad it must've been for them to decide to wing it instead?
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 07:11 AM
  #856  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maumee, OH, USA
Posts: 3,206
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Or maybe we can read the reason given by the man himself:
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/mark...tfall-season-2
But I have a tendency just to talk and talk and talk, and you can cherrypick. You know, I’ll be reading something, and say, “What moron said this?”, and then realize, “Oh, it’s me.” They can take selective comments you’ve made out of context and use it to support their argument: “See, Mark hated Star Wars!” “Did I?”
How dare you cherry pick that excerpt solely to support your argument!
bralph is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 07:50 AM
  #857  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,007
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Did The Last Jedi thread get deleted or something?
I wish that thread should be locked for awhile as there is nothing but a dead horse being beaten there and bad memories of a bad film each time it comes back up.
jpcamb is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 08:49 AM
  #858  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,164
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Well, I mean, there was one, by George Lucas, but they threw it out the window. Can you imagine how bad it must've been for them to decide to wing it instead?
I don't believe they winged it... but I don't think the right people are in charge of this circus. Seems that Marvel can get it right so there's no excuse in the world to not have similar, quality stories for the SW franchise. They hung their hat on a one-trick pony in JJ and then gave the reigns to a guy who is more interested in putting his stamp on something that doesn't belong to him. I do believe they had an arc... I just think that arc was lazy, rehashed garbage and the backlash drove them to this panic mode for the last movie. I was SO fucking excited for this new trilogy... now I just want to see how it badly they trip over their dicks to fan-service everyone they pissed off. I have less than 10% hope that this last movie can fix the problems they created.
Rob V is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 08:57 AM
  #859  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Or maybe we can read the reason given by the man himself:
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/mark...tfall-season-2
Yeah, and there’s also this whole excerpt. It’s not as cut and dry as that quote you posted.
Some decisions still rankle, though. He remains shocked by Han Solo’s fate: slain by his own son and Luke’s nephew, the powerful Dark Side warrior Kylo Ren (formerly known as Ben Solo) in the sequel trilogy’s opening instalment, The Force Awakens. ‘I just thought, Luke’s never going to see his best friend again. You look at it in a self-centred way. I said that it was a big mistake that those three people would never reunite in any way. I guess I was wrong, because nobody seems to care! I have to stipulate that I care, but it didn’t really seem to affect the larger audience. Luke, Han and Leia will never be together again, and I’ll probably never get to work with Harrison again. Then the second thing was that they killed me off. I thought: oh, okay, you should push my death off to the last one. That’s what I was hoping when I came back: no cameos and a run-of-the-trilogy contract. Did I get any of those things? Because as far as I’m concerned, the end of VII is really the beginning of VIII. I got one movie! They totally hornswoggled (tricked) me.’
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 08:58 AM
  #860  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I don't believe they winged it... but I don't think the right people are in charge of this circus. Seems that Marvel can get it right so there's no excuse in the world to not have similar, quality stories for the SW franchise....
Yes, because every franchise is exactly the same, as is all the circumstances that surround the making of every movie.

I mean, DC had a great planned story arc from Zack Snyder for their cinematic universe... wait.

Oh, but Universal had a plan for their Dark Universe franchise with a new Mummy film starring Tom Cruise.... oh.

Well, the Fantastic Beasts series has the creator of Harry Potter, J. K. Rowling, actually writing the scripts, with a multi-film plan in place and... ah... erm.

But yes, Marvel, they haven't had any issues at all. I mean, The Hulk is one of their most famous characters, and Marvel's second MCU film ever, The Incredible Hulk was... er, well....
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 08:59 AM
  #861  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,159
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Well, I mean, there was one, by George Lucas, but they threw it out the window. Can you imagine how bad it must've been for them to decide to wing it instead?
I think Lucas ST arc would have been different like the PT, and Disney was scared of that because they probably feared another PT backlash. But Lucas story ideas are not the problem. What I have learned after the ST movies have come out and have been able to compare them to the PT, is that each Trilogy lacks something that is 'not enough Lucas' or 'too much Lucas.' The problem with the PT isn't the story as it's original and very interesting on paper. The problem with the PT is that is executed so badly (along with too much CGI) and I believe Anakin was miscast, or atleast Lucas played his arc the wrong way. The problem with the ST isn't the execution as it's well acted, the movies look visually great. The problem with the ST is the story because there is very little of it, as it's either retreaded in TFA, or 100% subverted in TLJ, and I believe they will play it safe with Episode 9.

Disney needed Lucas ideas and storytelling for the ST, while Lucas needed a director/writer for the PT, as each one has their own problem that sticks out like a sore thumb. The OT had alot more collaboration as it was 'just' enough Lucas and a sprinkle of Kirshner, Kurtz, Burtt, Hirsch, Chew, Marcia Lucas that made it great.
coli is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 09:00 AM
  #862  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Yeah, and there’s also this whole excerpt. It’s not as cut and dry as that quote you posted.
We can discuss that excerpt in the TLJ review thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...l#post13510837
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 09:11 AM
  #863  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
We can discuss that excerpt in the TLJ review thread:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...l#post13510837
Either way that quote isn’t only related to that film. It’s how he views the sequel trilogy so far and his character in it. Like I said before it doesn’t seem like he expected to go into IX with Luke dead.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 09:27 AM
  #864  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,412
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Either way that quote isn’t only related to that film....
Any justification to extend your ranting to another thread, eh?

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
It’s how he views the sequel trilogy so far and his character in it. Like I said before it doesn’t seem like he expected to go into IX with Luke dead.
It's also obviously his personal view as an actor of what he would've liked to have done, which is act more in all 3 films. Later in the article he states he understands that each movie focuses on a different OT character:
‘Harrison was more prominent in the first of the sequels, then I was more prominent, and Carrie was meant to be more prominent in the third. I’m glad they found a way to do that, and something tells me that she’d get a real kick out of the fact that she had a hit movie years after she left us, because that was just her.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 10:00 AM
  #865  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

And your problem is you don’t let anyone have a point even when it’s from the same source you tried countering me with and is spelled out. I had a point and you don’t acknowledge it. Instead you just make counter arguments that go in endless circles to try and make what you’re saying seem right. I’ll end it here and we can hash it out in the other thread, but I’m not wrong.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 03-05-19, 10:12 AM
  #866  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,465
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

I'm closing this thread for now. If some news worthy item comes up and the thread is still closed, report the post to have it reopened.
dex14 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:19 AM
  #867  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,624
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)


Possible leaked art work of episode 9. Looks like a target ad but still
raven56706 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:20 AM
  #868  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,465
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

C-3PO is holding a weapon... come on...
dex14 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:25 AM
  #869  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,624
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
C-3PO is holding a weapon... come on...

anything is possible right. they dont have any troops. He might need to fight.
raven56706 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:28 AM
  #870  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,465
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

dex14 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:35 AM
  #871  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,514
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

All of the rebels will be dead at the end except Threepio and then he will go all Rambo at the end and take out the entire First Order.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:37 AM
  #872  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,822
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
C-3PO is holding a weapon... come on...
Chewy's crossbow and whatever shoulder strap. Seems strange since Chewy is on that poster as well.
Timber is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:37 AM
  #873  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,624
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

hey,.. i thought it was bullshit too until reddit mofos(ultra nerdy) said the one thing that struck me "too many new things to be fan art"
raven56706 is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 11:05 AM
  #874  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,243
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
C-3PO is holding a weapon... come on...
If that was fan art, then that’s an odd thing to include, since it seems like a big “tell.”

Then again, maybe that’s the fan artist wants us to think...

...and it’s a circular argument.

I do seem to recall someone — possibly Anthony Daniels himself —saying C-3PO would have a larger part in IX.

Also, if this is real, those reports of Kylo gluing his helmet back together with red goo were accurate.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 12:07 PM
  #875  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,097
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

It's real. The black woman with the cape (Naomi Ackie?) was in the location photos with Finn and Poe and they're all wearing the same costumes. I assume the female with the helmet is Kerri Russell's character.

I agree, seeing Threepio wearing Chewie's bandoleer and holding his crossbow is kind of bizarre -- but not as bizarre and that sea monkey looking creature next to Finn. That thing is giving me Jar Jar flashbacks.
joe_b is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.