Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
9.60%
21.72%
26.26%
8.59%
16.16%
6.57%
5.56%
2.53%
2.53%
0.51%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-08-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

It also seems a lot different to compare what was at the time the first sequel to the second newest entry some thirty-nine years and multiple films later in my opinion. When The Empire Strikes Back came out back in 1980 I’d have to imagine fandom was different. I’m sure it existed to some extent, but it obviously wasn’t years of lore and fan theories at the time.
Fandom in 1980 wasn't like fandom today, but make no mistake: Star Wars was EVERYTHING to fanboys. I was 10 years old, a D&D playing geekboy who listened to Dr. Demento and watched the slim pickings of sci-fi on TV (Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, the shitty Marvel TV movies, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Bionic Man, Star Trek in reasons and the first Motion Picture, etc.) Empire Strikes Back was not only highly anticipated, it was THE only event of 1980 that really mattered to sci-fi fans. I saw it a dozen times that summer. It was anticipated, theorized upon, analyzed, and speculated about for years after (if you didn't catch it in theaters, you didn't catch it at all until the eventual TV showing years later).

I can only of course speak anecdotally, but Empire barely disappointed. In fact, if it did anything it was the opposite. It opened up the universe and sparked dozens of fan theories.
Old 01-09-19, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Fandom in 1980 wasn't like fandom today, but make no mistake: Star Wars was EVERYTHING to fanboys. I was 10 years old, a D&D playing geekboy who listened to Dr. Demento and watched the slim pickings of sci-fi on TV (Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, the shitty Marvel TV movies, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Bionic Man, Star Trek in reasons and the first Motion Picture, etc.) Empire Strikes Back was not only highly anticipated, it was THE only event of 1980 that really mattered to sci-fi fans. I saw it a dozen times that summer. It was anticipated, theorized upon, analyzed, and speculated about for years after (if you didn't catch it in theaters, you didn't catch it at all until the eventual TV showing years later).

I can only of course speak anecdotally, but Empire barely disappointed. In fact, if it did anything it was the opposite. It opened up the universe and sparked dozens of fan theories.
That’s how I remember it, too. People were blown away by it... everything was new... Hoth, Snow Speeders, Imperial Walkers, Yoda, Cloud City, “No, I am your father,” and that cliffhanger ending... but it was still unmistakably Star Wars. Minds were blown. Everyone wanted the new toys.

To claim there was some kind of backlash against it smacks of revisionist history.
Old 01-09-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I don't disagree there were sci-fan fanboys in 1980, what SW did was create non-SciFi fans like me who ended up being fanboys. I'm not a big SciFi fan as I enjoy the usual favorites (Terminator, Back to the Future, Aliens but I'm not big on Bladerunner or the Star Trek movies), I never read comic books, or really geeked out at that kind of stuff. But SW was different as it's the only thing I really ever geeked out at and ESB and ROTJ sort of sealed the deal. What people forget is geekdom really wasn't accepted back in 1980 and 1983 as I didn't tell many people in school I was a SW fan (I was in elementary school). I would talk to my SW friends about the movies, and that was IT! You didn't bring up SW around girls, I never brought SW up when I went to Baseball or Football practice, I was sort of a closeted SW fan who was obsessed with the movies. Now geekdom is a part of pop culture as Conan O'Brien is doing live shows at Comic Con, but that wasn't always the case. That is why SW is the #1 franchise because it reached out to non SciFi fans like me and made me fans for life.
Old 01-09-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coli View Post
While I don't disagree there were sci-fan fanboys in 1980, what SW did was create non-SciFi fans like me who ended up being fanboys. I'm not a big SciFi fan as I enjoy the usual favorites (Terminator, Back to the Future, Aliens but I'm not big on Bladerunner or the Star Trek movies), I never read comic books, or really geeked out at that kind of stuff. But SW was different as it's the only thing I really ever geeked out at and ESB and ROTJ sort of sealed the deal. What people forget is geekdom really wasn't accepted back in 1980 and 1983 as I didn't tell many people in school I was a SW fan (I was in elementary school). I would talk to my SW friends about the movies, and that was IT! You didn't bring up SW around girls, I never brought SW up when I went to Baseball or Football practice, I was sort of a closeted SW fan who was obsessed with the movies. Now geekdom is a part of pop culture as Conan O'Brien is doing live shows at Comic Con, but that wasn't always the case. That is why SW is the #1 franchise because it reached out to non SciFi fans like me and made me fans for life.
Word. I had 100% the same experience growing up.
Old 01-09-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Yes that is the truth. And I’ve posted about it before. Star Wars was sci-fi and actually cool.

That’s what I disliked the most about the prequel period. It’s when the cool left the franchise and fans went “full nerd”, dressing up in costume and other Trek-like behavior.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-09-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Star Wars was the gateway drug got me into science fiction when I was a kid.

Star Trek and Doctor Who soon followed. And then Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein. And William Gibson after that.
Old 01-09-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve actually been a Star Trek guy longer than I’ve been a Star Wars guy. Even as a kid having access to both I enjoyed both, but Trek was more my thing. I watched TNG and the TOS movies (TOS itself too) a lot and had a bunch of the figures. I always liked Star Wars though too.
Old 01-09-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm Trek over Wars any day of the week, but my gateway into sci-fi was probably Planet of the Apes; my earliest memories were of watching the movies on syndicated TV with my Dad when I was 4 or something. After that it was Star Wars and TOS (in syndication) at roughly the same time (age 5). But there really wasn't much in terms of GOOD science fiction (not "sci-fi") on television for a long, long time. I loved TNG (even with all the cheese) but I discovered X-Files and Babylon 5 at roughly the same time, and both were absolute game-changers.
Old 01-10-19, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trekker here too. (There's room for both!) I don't want to stir up something again but personally for me it was doubly disappointing to be let down by Star Trek Discovery and TLJ in the same year when I was beyond excited for both. I've come to accept them for what they are now. But at the time it was disappointing.
Old 01-10-19, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't even watched Discovery yet. I probably will eventually, but from what I hear of it I don't know that I'll like it.
Old 01-10-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed Discovery but it had some issues. But then again, so did every iteration of Trek. Definitely a worthwhile show though.
Old 01-10-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My biggest issue with Trek over the past decade plus is that the people behind it keep feeling the need to do prequel era stories(I know technically the new films are alternate universe but still), and then they don’t fit anyways because they all look way too modern by TOS standards. I wish they’d just go forward, but they have bankroll on having characters like Spock in their backpocket, because they can’t make new memorable characters.

I am probably one of the few fans who enjoyed Enterprise a lot though. Pretty underrated series if you ask me.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-10-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My biggest issue with Trek over the past decade plus is that the people behind it keep feeling the need to do prequel era stories(I know technically the new films are alternate universe but still), and then they don’t fit anyways because they all look way too modern by TOS standards. I wish they’d just go forward, but they have bankroll on having characters like Spock in their backpocket, because they can’t make new memorable characters.

I am probably one of the few fans who enjoyed Enterprise a lot though. Pretty underrated series if you ask me.
I loathe the trend of PREQUELS FOR EVERYTHING!! I agree: MOVE FORWARD. Give us a Trek show 200 years after TNG. A thousand years, even. The older iteration Trek shows were firmly rooted in 60s-90s sci-fi trends, which is why revisiting them can often get a bit tiresome if you follow contemporary science fiction regularly.

I think Discovery is a fine show but there's no reason it couldn't be set long after the TNG era, a time in which the Klingon Empire and the Federation are at odds again. Or it's another universal power in play. A human officer raised by Vulcans that DON'T have to feature Sarek, Spock, and Beverdina (I forgot her name).

Old 01-11-19, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. And I think a lot of fans do as well. Chalk it up to them not knowing what the fans want. We love TOS Kirk and Spock but that doesn't mean we want to see them remade. Move FORWARD. Well I guess they are now with the new series with Picard.

I watched the first season of Enterprise live but gave up like everyone else. But I recently (within the past 2 years) rewatched the whole series since it was the only trek I had yet to see and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better it had gotten and how out of context of the other Trek series at the time it holds up much better. Except for that terrible series finale.

I loathe the trend of PREQUELS FOR EVERYTHING!! I agree: MOVE FORWARD. Give us a Trek show 200 years after TNG. A thousand years, even. The older iteration Trek shows were firmly rooted in 60s-90s sci-fi trends, which is why revisiting them can often get a bit tiresome if you follow contemporary science fiction regularly.

I think Discovery is a fine show but there's no reason it couldn't be set long after the TNG era, a time in which the Klingon Empire and the Federation are at odds again. Or it's another universal power in play. A human officer raised by Vulcans that DON'T have to feature Sarek, Spock, and Beverdina (I forgot her name).
Discovery is a decent show if it wasn't called Star Trek. I can't explain it but it just doesn't feel like Trek. Let alone TOS era Trek.
Old 01-11-19, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As a kid, it was cool to like Star Wars, I guess. It was on the same level as Transformers.
In my teenage years, there was no Star Wars movies, and if you liked Star Trek: TNG you were a nerd.
I only watched TNG because it was on one of the few channels that we could get on our TV. Despite not being into science-fiction, I ended up really enjoying the series.
It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I started getting into science-fiction and reading stuff by Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Isaac Asimov, and Phillip K. Dick.
I gained a greater appreciation for Star Trek after I revisited TNG, and later saw the first 6 films for the first time.
That's a pretty good run. Two classic television series', AND a great film franchise? I'm someone who thinks ST: The Motion Picture is great.

I agree.
Hokeyboy and tanman are right, that a new series should move forward and take place AFTER Star Trek: TNG. That's what Star Trek is about, right? The future? And yet, they're going backwards into nostalgia territory. Somehow the mirror universe became lame.