Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

That’s not how trilogies work! That’s now how any of this works!
Old 08-08-18, 09:18 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Won’t happen.
Old 08-08-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Sure why not. Who says these stories have to be confined to trilogies now
Old 08-08-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

ROTJ and ROTS could have been two movies each. Just call Part 2 Episode X.

Probably won't happen, but interesting to think about.
Old 08-08-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
ROTJ and ROTS could have been two movies each. Just call Part 2 Episode X.

Probably won't happen, but interesting to think about.
Exactly. They’re churning these things out so fast anymore that splitting it into two films, calling one Episode IX and the the next one Episode X doesn’t seem like that much of a stretch to me.
Old 08-08-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I mean obviously there will be an Episode X eventually but I doubt they’d do a whatever the title of Episode IX is part one and part two. That’d be kinda silly when the Episodic films are all linked together as parts of the same main storyline.
Old 08-09-18, 04:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

this is only because they need the time to repair the damage from TLJ and continue with the story lines JJ setup in TFA. this is what you get when you don't have a cohesive arc and let each subsequent guy do whatever they want to do.

Bring on Episode X!
Old 08-09-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
this is only because they need the time to repair the damage from TLJ and continue with the story lines JJ setup in TFA. this is what you get when you don't have a cohesive arc and let each subsequent guy do whatever they want to do.

Bring on Episode X!
I liked TLJ but I’m still astounded that they didn’t have at least a blueprint outlining the new trilogy.

Hell, it’s Disney. All they had to do was walk across the parking lot and ask Marvel how it’s done.
Old 08-09-18, 06:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

has it been confirmed that Trevorrow was fired (or he quit?) because Rian Johnson didn't leave him enough toys in the sandbox when his turn came up?
Old 08-09-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you seen the Jurassic World or the sequel? Trevorrow isn’t exactly a huge loss. That said I agree that it is weird that the films weren’t coordinated better but I don’t think Star Wars is at a point where it’s not salvageable or something because of The Last Jedi.
Old 08-09-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
has it been confirmed that Trevorrow was fired (or he quit?) because Rian Johnson didn't leave him enough toys in the sandbox when his turn came up?
According to him and Hamill, he asked for two script changes to TLJ, Snoke/Luke staying alive, and they said no. That was the deal breaker for all parties involved.
Old 08-09-18, 07:22 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
According to him and Hamill, he asked for two script changes to TLJ, Snoke/Luke staying alive, and they said no. That was the deal breaker for all parties involved.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I side with Trevorrow on this one.
Old 08-09-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I liked TLJ but I’m still astounded that they didn’t have at least a blueprint outlining the new trilogy.

Hell, it’s Disney. All they had to do was walk across the parking lot and ask Marvel how it’s done.
Marvel is great, but it's pretty clear that aside from some vague goalposts like "We want to do an Avengers movie after most of them have at least one individual film" and "Thanos will be a villain down the road," they've been making it up as they go.
Old 08-09-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Marvel is great, but it's pretty clear that aside from some vague goalposts like "We want to do an Avengers movie after most of them have at least one individual film" and "Thanos will be a villain down the road," they've been making it up as they go.
They’ve done a damn good job for making it up as they go. I’d say better than a lot of franchises that have been more planned out.
Old 08-09-18, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
They’ve done a damn good job for making it up as they go. I’d say better than a lot of franchises that have been more planned out.
No doubt Marvel has done great, although they've had a few duds mixed in there as well (Incredible Hulk anyone?), but 20 films over 10 years helps bury those a bit.

Also, I'm not sure how many franchises are "planned out" to any real degree, typically not more than a movie ahead. The exceptions are maybe book series adaptations, especially if they're started after the book series is finished. But while JK Rowling clearly controlled the Harry Potter story, I don't think she necessarily had a solid plan for the book series as she was writing it.

Also it's not like movies that were planned as a franchise didn't just flop on their face. Last year's Mummy movie was supposed to be the start of a whole "Dark Universe" franchise.
Old 08-09-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered a couple of MCU directors or writers saying that there were some specific plot points or scenes that were dictated by Marvel, so i'm not sure if they're really all that vague. I thought that was one of the reasons why Edgar Wright didn't end up doing Ant Man. I'm sure Phase 1 was less planned, but Phase 2 and 3 certainly feel like they had a lot of direction from Marvel to me.
Old 08-09-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I was guessing I would think at the very least all the Phases have probably had some sort of outline probably with some points that need to happen.
Old 08-09-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Right. And I’m not saying Disney needed to have scripts for the entire trilogy written out in advance or whole scenes mapped out but a rough outline of where the trilogy was going would have been nice. Simple things like who Rey is or Snoke’s role in the series or some idea of Luke’s arc seem like fairly simple things to have mapped out.
Old 08-09-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No doubt Marvel has done great, although they've had a few duds mixed in there as well (Incredible Hulk anyone?), but 20 films over 10 years helps bury those a bit.
I would argue though that none of the MCU films are really bad movies in the sense that they’re awfully made and unwatchable. There are a couple that aren’t as good but at the very least they’re all fine movies. It’s rather impressive to me that with all the films they’ve made over the course of a decade that there hasn’t been a true bonafide flop.
Old 08-09-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Right. And I’m not saying Disney needed to have scripts for the entire trilogy written out in advance or whole scenes mapped out but a rough outline of where the trilogy was going would have been nice. Simple things like who Rey is or Snoke’s role in the series or some idea of Luke’s arc seem like fairly simple things to have mapped out.
Well, Marvel also has the advantage in that they're largely adapting characters and storylines, so they're not so much having to come up with as much from scratch, so much as adapting comics into their movie universe. I mean, Infinity War is based on one of their biggest comics storylines from 1991, over 25 years ago.

They're also very different from the Star Wars episodes in that most of the movies are standalone, with a few moments that may tie into the bigger story. They hint at things for 4-5 movies, have an Avengers film that largely tells a new story from beginning to end, and then start a new phase. They're different beasts, and they have plenty of time to plan out the next "big event" film.

Meanwhile, for Star Wars, Disney/Lucasfilm hit the ground running. They wanted a big event film out first, and then another every other year. They don't release Avengers films every other year, and they didn't lead with Avengers.
Old 08-09-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I side with Trevorrow on this one.
The sense I get from TLJ is that Rian Johnson really wanted to fuck up Star Wars, like it's an ego thing for him to be the guy who broke the franchise and fucked it up so badly that nobody could continue on with it. That he got Kennedy and a seeming majority of the fans to go along with it is mind-boggling.
Old 08-09-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

Bring on Episode X!
Instead of IX Part One and IX Part Two or IX and X, they should call them VIII and IX and throw Rian Johnson's abortion down the Sarlaac Pit.

I don't think there's any way to repair the damage he did without ignoring his shitshow and starting over. It was all just a bad dream while you were recovering in the bacta suit, Finn.
Old 08-09-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe Disney wanted to see how Solo performed at the box office to determine if they needed to split Episode IX and push back spin-off plans. Of course, TLJ would be a factor, too.

Plan A: 2019 Episode IX, 2020 Kenobi.
Plan B: 2019 Episode IX, 2020 Episode X.

I know it's wishful thinkng for many, but IX filming is just starting so I don't think they can split the movie at this point.

Still... just a little overtime here and there.
Old 08-09-18, 09:45 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Wow, you really did not like that movie.

I loved it, I really did. It may be my 2nd or 3rd favorite after IV and V.

I don't miss Trevorrow at all.

And we're both mega fans. What a world, you know?
Old 08-09-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts

Yep

Also, I'm not sure how many franchises are "planned out" to any real degree, typically not more than a movie ahead. The exceptions are maybe book series adaptations, especially if they're started after the book series is finished. But while JK Rowling clearly controlled the Harry Potter story, I don't think she necessarily had a solid plan for the book series as she was writing it.

Also it's not like movies that were planned as a franchise didn't just flop on their face. Last year's Mummy movie was supposed to be the start of a whole "Dark Universe" franchise.
This is Star Wars though. Not some poorly planned (oh wait it is!) wanna be franchise. All the more reason to plan it right from the start knowing how big this franchise is.

And this is what makes me so angry about TLJ. If they had a plan for the whole trilogy and there were reasons for the controversial changes that RJ made that would be much more acceptable but the fact that Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm just let JJ run away with presenting these mystery boxes and just let RJ crap all over Star Wars without any kind of a plan whatsoever is just unfathomable to me. How long would it have taken them to hash out an overarching plot for this trilogy? A week? A month maybe? It would have been time well spent. And yes I realize that the OT wasn't planned out from the start and made up on the fly and the PT was planned out from the start by one person. That doesn't matter and I know that if they had planned it out it it wouldn't necessarily mean that we would have gotten a good trilogy but what I do know is that by not planning anything out and making each individual movie as it comes has blown up in their face. If they had a plan they could have told fans that and we would be able to accept those changes knowing that there might be a payoff in the last film. But as it stands they are coming off as a bunch of amateurs playing the telephone game with the most important movie franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.