Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
36.36%
26.62%
18.18%
9.09%
2.60%
1.30%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
0.65%
1.30%
No Mel, no sale!
0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (Miller, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I liked Erin Brokovich, it was a little too standard for a Soderbergh flick but it was light and entertaining covering some really heavy topics.

That said, Roberts in no way was better than Burstyn.
Old 08-23-16, 01:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Apparently story can't be told by visual alone for Mabuse. The is FILLED w/ so much fucking story coming off of the characters in that moment. It's not feeding you all the details because it isn't important. It's a film developed in the moment of action.
Look, Fury Road is basically the final chase from The Road Warrior stretched out and repeated for two hours. It fails to top The Road Warrior because that film spent time developing the characters inside and outside of the compound. It built up suspense, it fed our curiosity, showed us characters we could love and despise, and then it exploded in its finale. Fury Road explodes at minute two and then repeats itself interminably.

It also kept reminding me how bad Beyond Thunderdome is and how idiotic it was to place the best thing in that film (the Thunderdome battle itself) so early in the film, then follow it up with nothing. Fury Road blows its load too soon, just like Thunderdome, and then keeps blowing loads.

Bukkake movies are fun, but the 48th guy to blow his load adds very little to the overall experience. By that point it's redundant. That's Fury Road.

How's that for high brow film criticism?
Old 08-23-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Fury Road follows the "less is more" approach. The idea that, "the more you talk, the dumber you sound". What isn't said is left up to the viewer to imagine. The opposite would be a movie with lots of narration and super duper dialogue about the characters' feelings. If you took a list of my very favorite movies, I think I prefer movies that "show" more and "tell" less.
Old 08-23-16, 02:47 PM
Banned

The best films are a blend of both. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Road Warrior.
Old 08-23-16, 03:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The more I watch it the more I love it. I don't think a backstory really matters. Everything we need to know about these characters derives from their actions.

Looks great in Dolby Vision on VUDU (UHD). Would have bought the 4K Ultra HD disc, but didn't have a player at the time. Maybe when it's super cheap I will.
Old 08-23-16, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

It's an opinion. A shitty one.
Old 08-23-16, 07:07 PM
Banned

Wow. How friendly. Where's your fucking review? I write a couple paragraphs, you write 6 words.

You bought the soundtrack, the comic book, the steel book, you saw it 5 fucking times, but I can't find where you took a moment to express what you like or how you feel. I guess you're more of an aphemera collector than a film aficionado. Oh well.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-23-16 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The best films are a blend of both. Like Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Road Warrior.
Yes. And No. There's no template for the best films ever and what it asks to go to quality levels.

There just isn't. Some of the best films, even after the silent era, go to great lengths in excelling in promoting a lot of story in the action. It's not wrong. MM4 does it right by focussing a damn lot of the details of character in the moment. Is it normal? It's not common but it isn't wrong to do so.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-23-16 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 08:03 PM
Banned

I certainly wouldn't want every movie to be like Fury Road. It was unique. A kind of lark, but I wouldn't want it to start a trend.
Old 08-23-16, 08:31 PM
Banned

Nor would you want it to be but it's something to criticize a lot of films in not believing in telling part of it's story by character action. Kubrick excelled at it. Scorsese does as well. Etc etc. It's just not the words that tell the story. That's just weak as fuck. It's a visual medium. If you can't tell a story w/o sound then you're not telling it right.
Old 08-23-16, 09:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't want every movie to be like The Godfather, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, or The Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't make those movies any less great.
Old 08-23-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Wow. How friendly. Where's your fucking review? I write a couple paragraphs, you write 6 words.

You bought the soundtrack, the comic book, the steel book, you saw it 5 fucking times, but I can't find where you took a moment to express what you like or how you feel. I guess you're more of an aphemera collector than a film aficionado. Oh well.

Aphemera?

Old 08-24-16, 03:36 PM
Banned

Final thought on this movie:

1. I guess it couldn't be all bad because even though I found it unpleasant while watching, I kept thinking about it for a week. That's more than I can say for many other movies.

2. I liken Fury Road to Birdman and Russian Ark and Hardcore Henry. They are "gimmick" movies. One take, all POV, now a movie that is one long action scene from start to finish. It's a gimmick. Interesting to see once I guess. But where does it lead? Welles and Houston did long takes, others did longer. That was an interesting evolution. Eventually we get Russian Ark and Birdman. But now what? I guess we burn all the theaters down and give up on cinema?

I think I feel the same way about full penetrative sex in film. It's like we've really gone as far as we can and there isn't any further to go. Watching these films is like watching the end of the road. Because we can't go further. We can't make a movie that's MORE one-take, we can't make a movie that's even more POV, etc. On the other hand, like I said, every film can't be like these. I don't know. Guess I have to think a bit more.
Old 08-24-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

It was very entertaining - thought it was amazing after I got done watching it but will probably never watch it again.
Old 08-24-16, 10:37 PM
Banned

Final thought on this movie:

1. I guess it couldn't be all bad because even though I found it unpleasant while watching, I kept thinking about it for a week. That's more than I can say for many other movies.

2. I liken Fury Road to Birdman and Russian Ark and Hardcore Henry. They are "gimmick" movies. One take, all POV, now a movie that is one long action scene from start to finish. It's a gimmick. Interesting to see once I guess. But where does it lead? Welles and Houston did long takes, others did longer. That was an interesting evolution. Eventually we get Russian Ark and Birdman. But now what? I guess we burn all the theaters down and give up on cinema?

I think I feel the same way about full penetrative sex in film. It's like we've really gone as far as we can and there isn't any further to go. Watching these films is like watching the end of the road. Because we can't go further. We can't make a movie that's MORE one-take, we can't make a movie that's even more POV, etc. On the other hand, like I said, every film can't be like these. I don't know. Guess I have to think a bit more.
you're overthinking it and really dumbing it down at the same time.

It's all about how it's done within whatever form they want to use. It can always be different and expansive towards the format.
Old 08-26-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Look, Fury Road is basically the final chase from The Road Warrior stretched out and repeated for two hours. It fails to top The Road Warrior because that film spent time developing the characters inside and outside of the compound. It built up suspense, it fed our curiosity, showed us characters we could love and despise, and then it exploded in its finale. Fury Road explodes at minute two and then repeats itself interminably.

It also kept reminding me how bad Beyond Thunderdome is and how idiotic it was to place the best thing in that film (the Thunderdome battle itself) so early in the film, then follow it up with nothing. Fury Road blows its load too soon, just like Thunderdome, and then keeps blowing loads.

Bukkake movies are fun, but the 48th guy to blow his load adds very little to the overall experience. By that point it's redundant. That's Fury Road.

I agree.

I finally got to watch this today and what a disappointment. Who would have though that so much action could be so boring.
What's up with the colors? Tom Hardy looks more orange than Donald Trump. One of the best of 2015 my ass!!! The Road Warrior still rules.

2/5

Last edited by inri222; 08-26-16 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 11:37 PM
Banned

On YouTube a guy mixed the final chase from The Road Warrior with the music from Fury Road. It's awesome.

Definitely demonstrates that the stunts, camera, and intensity of Road Warrior stands up just fine despite its age. It's the superior film, even after all these years.
Old 08-26-16, 11:58 PM
Banned

Do you mean a literal mix or just combined? Cuz.... I'm not sure how those beats even make sense unless the guy literally made a mix from the music for the MM2 final chase. Do you mean like m
Old 08-27-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Just for the sake of argument -- and I do NOT want to know if it exists -- but you can always go further. Dick-tip micro-cams. /dropmike
Old 08-27-16, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Do you mean a literal mix or just combined? Cuz.... I'm not sure how those beats even make sense unless the guy literally made a mix from the music for the MM2 final chase. Do you mean like m
I mean like this
Old 08-27-16, 12:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Just for the sake of argument -- and I do NOT want to know if it exists -- but you can always go further. Dick-tip micro-cams. /dropmike
The Japanese are way ahead of you bro.
Old 08-27-16, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

I said I didn't want to know! Guhg ...
Old 08-27-16, 12:23 AM
Banned

Yeah, no. The music is too strong and wild for what's going on there. The imagery is strong but the audio makes no connection to fit it. It can run along it but it doesn't mesh too well. Just seems too absurdly strong for the imagery.
Old 08-27-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,812 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
It was very entertaining - thought it was amazing after I got done watching it but will probably never watch it again.
I feel the same way.

MMFR was mostly style over substance. Non-stop action sounds good on paper, but the final product is unengaging. The characters are one-note and I felt nothing but a sense of detachment to what was going on. I can marvel at the action sequences, but there's no emotional core to the film.

There's virtually no replay value for me here.

It's also kind of odd that Max is little more than an observer in the movie that bears his name. Furiosa is the main protagonist who drives what plot there is, and Max could have been written out.
Old 08-27-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

My favorite aspect of the movie is how the characters unfold, made rewatches better IMO as you have a better feel for the characters on repeats. But I can see some seeing that as a negative.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.