Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Originally Posted by movieguru
I'm not usually into animated versions of what is usually already a live action franchise, but this movie looks like it will be good and could be a sleeper hit. It has a well liked character "Peter Parker" Spider-Man as well as introducing the general audience to the more unknown "Spider-People". The movie seems to be even making a previously upopular character, Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham into a hit. From the trailer, it looks like the movie will have a lot of good humor throughout it as well. It's one of the few for the holidays that I'm actually looking forward to seeing and making an effort to catch in the theater.
It's also much, much different then what any of the movie studios are doing with their live action superheroes, which I think only benefits the movie since there's actually something unique here.

I hope it's really successful at the box office, because i'd love to see more of the world they build. It really is a great movie.
Old 12-12-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Originally Posted by whotony
What makes you say Spider-Ham is unpopular?
Don't know if you are kidding or not but.....But it's not a well known character outside of those that read comics in the 1980's. The series may have ran for only a few short years and he maybe made a few small sporadic appearances since then. I don't think it's been used very often since the 80's. I would expect that many more people know who Miles Morales or Spider Gwen are than Peter Porker.
Old 12-12-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

So not well-known. But not necessarily unpopular (in terms of not being liked).
Old 12-12-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,227 Likes on 955 Posts

For some reason despite the positive reviews for this I’m not terribly excited about it. I’m planning to see it with some friends and it’ll probably be enjoyable but I dunno. I do like a lot of the Spider-Verse characters too like Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales Spidey. I guess we’ll see if my mind is changed upon seeing it.
Old 12-12-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So not well-known. But not necessarily unpopular (in terms of not being liked).
Exactly. No unpopular at all just not as known among the regular people outside of comic book collecting.
Old 12-13-18, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't know if you are kidding or not but.....But it's not a well known character outside of those that read comics in the 1980's. The series may have ran for only a few short years and he maybe made a few small sporadic appearances since then. I don't think it's been used very often since the 80's. I would expect that many more people know who Miles Morales or Spider Gwen are than Peter Porker.
He had a series in the 80’s? My first and only intro to Porker was in the Spiderverse storyline from several years ago. I assumed the sheer absurdity of the character would have made him popular with fans, kinda like Howard the Duck.
Old 12-13-18, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,088 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
For some reason despite the positive reviews for this I’m not terribly excited about it. I’m planning to see it with some friends and it’ll probably be enjoyable but I dunno. I do like a lot of the Spider-Verse characters too like Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales Spidey. I guess we’ll see if my mind is changed upon seeing it.
The tv ads sell it almost like a sketch comedy more so than a spider-man movie. It's an interesting angel but I'm not sure it's connecting with a ton of people.

The initial advertising that focused on Miles was more effective.
Old 12-13-18, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,227 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The tv ads sell it almost like a sketch comedy more so than a spider-man movie. It's an interesting angel but I'm not sure it's connecting with a ton of people.

The initial advertising that focused on Miles was more effective.
I think for me it’s that it feels way too meta for Spider-Man. I get that it’s going to be that way when you have a bunch of alternate Spider characters interacting with each other, but I don’t know if I feel like that really suits the character(s). That only really works well with Deadpool if you ask me, and even with that character I get sick of it after a while. Also I’m not crazy about the animation style personally.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-13-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
He had a series in the 80’s? My first and only intro to Porker was in the Spiderverse storyline from several years ago. I assumed the sheer absurdity of the character would have made him popular with fans, kinda like Howard the Duck.
Again, not unpopular he is just unknown.
Old 12-13-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 286 Likes on 209 Posts

Don't know if he had his own series, but he would normally have the last few pages of the regular the Spider-Man comics dedicated to him. I always looked forward to that.
Old 12-13-18, 10:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

3 1/2 stars from one of the reviewers on rogerebert.com. I was mildly interested in this, but I think I'll have to check out a matinee.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/s...der-verse-2018
Old 12-13-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Seeing this tonight. I noticed that I was initially going to be sitting in a small theater and when I went back to check the chart they switched it to large auditorium, so that's pretty cool.
Old 12-13-18, 10:47 AM

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,300 Posts

I'll take the kids at some point this month, I think they'd have fun.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think for me it’s that it feels way too meta for Spider-Man. I get that it’s going to be that way when you have a bunch of alternate Spider characters interacting with each other, but I don’t know if I feel like that really suits the character(s). That only really works well with Deadpool if you ask me, and even with that character I get sick of it after a while. Also I’m not crazy about the animation style personally.
I'm going to continue to advocate for the movie since I really want to to perform well, but I would say within the context of the movie all the different characters make a lot of sense and work extremely well together. And you see the contrast between the character you know in Peter Parker and the other Spider-Men, so I think the movie itself is self aware of you and the audiences concerns about that aspect.

It's a good mix of comic book action and storytelling while not taking the material so seriously, which I think is a nice change of pace compared to the live action movies.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Don't know if he had his own series, but he would normally have the last few pages of the regular the Spider-Man comics dedicated to him. I always looked forward to that.
He had his own series, and then was frequently in the “What The...?” series. His funniest story to me was a parody of Kraven’s Last Hunt.

Old 12-13-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94
He had his own series, and then was frequently in the “What The...?” series. His funniest story to me was a parody of Kraven’s Last Hunt.

His origin is... interesting... as well. But I still think he's got more visibility than SP//DR and Noir.

Spoiler:
He's not really an anthropomorphic pig, he's a spider bit by an irradiated anthropomorphic pig and transformed

My kids are really excited to see this; releasing this right after the PS4 game was brilliant in that respect. If DC ever got their act together, I'd look forward to a Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew cartoon.
Old 12-13-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,427 Likes on 972 Posts

This is weird: http://www.darkhorizons.com/sony-to-...er-verse-look/

Sony Animation’s “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is getting rave reviews for pretty much everything about it, including its unique visual look.

Now, Deadline reports that the studio has filed with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office to get patent protection for the project’s unique animation process. A half-dozen specific animation techniques and technologies are specified and Sony may have to wait anywhere from 3-5 years to hear if the patents are granted.

The film used a process that is a blend of computer animation with hand-drawn touch-ups that’s so complicated and complex that every second in the film took a week to render.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” opens in cinemas worldwide tomorrow and is currently scoring a 98% (8.9/10) on Rotten Tomatoes and a 86/100 on Metacritic.
Seems weird you can patent something like this.
Old 12-13-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Seems weird you can patent something like this.
A way to make sure the competition can't use similar techniques/technology, especially if specific software/shader/patch was created for it.
Old 12-13-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He first appeared in a one shot called Marvel Tails. Then two years later had a short lived series called Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham as part of Marvel's Star Comics line.
Old 12-13-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Again, not unpopular he is just unknown.
Depends on how you want to define the term I suppose. His series didn't sell or last very long and he only made sporadic appearance over the next 30 years. So not something people were clamoring for. But this movie may change that and put him in the spotlight.
Old 12-13-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

I have seen him once or twice on the Disney XD Spider-Man show.
Old 12-13-18, 06:12 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

Just saw it. I generally wouldn’t be interested in something like this but it was awesome. If you’re a fan of Spider-Man I don’t know how you wouldn’t like this.

Stay through the end credits.

Last edited by dex14; 12-13-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 614 Posts

He first appeared in a one shot called Marvel Tails. Then two years later had a short lived series called Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham as part of Marvel's Star Comics line.
Was this in response to Captain Carrot?
Old 12-13-18, 08:53 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 873 Posts

holy god is this movie amazing. the heart, the humor, the homages to live-action films, the voice acting, the incredible writing. so smart and well-written. just enthralling! Probably one of best animated theatrical or home video release I’ve seen in longtime. The others, the Pixar’s are great and enjoyable, but of course little kid centric. This was as well, but so smartly written that it felt so much more grown up. Just great.

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-13-18 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Just wonderful. Filled to the brim with humor and heart and I can't wait to see it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.