Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

Wasn’t as crazy about this as others, but I’d still want to see this sweep the animated award-ceremonies.
Old 12-15-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animat

I made the same connection with Big Mouth, I felt like Spider-Ham was going to say something really filthy at any moment.
Old 12-15-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDERVERSE (PG) - Highly energetic, entertaining, funny and inventive take on the Spider-Man Mythos introduces Miles Morales as a version of the timeless webslinger.

Keeping it relatively short, but there’s a new Spider-Man in town. Actually, there are multiple Spider-persons in town, as several realities collide and create havoc, and it is up to a disparate group of “spider-gifted” individuals to try and set things right.

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse focuses on teenager Miles Morales (first introduced in comic books a few years ago) is a huge fan of Peter Parker. Miles is bitten by a radioactive spider and develops his own set of powers, then his path crosses with Parker’s as they are flung into an adventure to stop Kingpin Wilson Fisk from creating a doorway to other dimensions to find a replacement for his dead family members. The experiments accidentally pull Gwen Stacy, Peni Parker, Spider-Noir, Peter Porker and another Peter Parker into Miles’ reality.

The art on display here, the fight choreography, the character design and the writing all come together to make you feel like you’re actually watching a comic book come to life. Dazzling design, great, funny characters, mind-bending ideas, and a heartfelt lesson about family make for a fun time for everyone.. Plus, Oh My Aunt May! I’m giving “Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse” 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is rated PG for comic book action violence, and some very mild language. There’s some shooting, a lot of fighting, reality gets twisted around pretty good, and…. Wow, this is just like a crazy comic book.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The credits themselves are very entertaining to watch, giving us an idea of what infinite Spider-Man would look like. AFTER-CREDITS - as the credits wind down, we are treated to a Spidey-centric Christmas-style carol, and then we get to see a funny short involving a face off between two more Spidermen..

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 12-15-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I liked it quite a bit more than I expected to. Definitely a really fun movie. For some reason I was expecting more Spider characters to pop up than are in the film, but I like the ones they chose and I guess the trailers didn’t show more. I didn’t realize Nicolas Cage was voicing a character. I was fairly certain that was him but was second guessing myself until the credits.

I’ve always liked the Miles Morales version of Spider-Man and am glad we saw a film focused on him.

The villains were interesting as there were some that we’re used to, but they mostly weren’t the typical versions we see. I didn’t really mind that though. Kinda cool seeing someone random like Tombstone thrown in too.

Only minor complaint is I was a bit iffy on some of the animation. The characters looked good, but some of the backgrounds were odd and looked out of focus/blurry.

Overall a really fun film for fans of Spider-Man as well as just casual viewers (though some of the references will be lost on casual fans probably).

Spoiler:
The end credits scene with Spider-Man 2099 and the sixties animated Spidey was a fun little Easter egg.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-15-18 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 664 Posts

I went in not really knowing what to expect of this but was happily blown away. This is one of the most beautiful films released and MUST be seen on the big screen to be fully appreciated.

We saw it at an AMC Prime 3D and it was fantastic. The 3D was good but not distracting. The sound was fantastic. And the visuals were just stunning.

Humor hit for the most part. It could have really come across as too "cutesy" with the multi-verse storyline but it never did. It had a lot of heart, you cared about the characters and I easily could have sat for another two hours and watched more.

Actually, my son and I plan to go see it tomorrow again at the local AMC LieMAX for a large 2D version to compare. He loved it as much as I did.

Out of a 10, I would give it an 11. Seriously one of the best films all around that I have seen in years. I was not expecting to come out of the theater saying that.
Old 12-15-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

review thread?
Old 12-16-18, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Originally Posted by Decker
Also don't know if I can really trust anyone who refers to Civil War and Infinity Wars as "disastrous".
Seriously. What an idiot.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wow, reviews are excellent. Looking forward to it.

Also, holy crap that EW review is bad. It hurts just reading the first couple paragraphs.

That guy spent more time in that review trying to prove how woke he is then talking about the actual movie. What a terrible review.

"In Spider-Verse, Mary Jane worships Peter Parker, as everyone is expected to do. At one point, she gives a speech to a crowd cosplaying Spidey outfits, preaching how “We are all Spider-Man.” I liked it more when we were all Mary Jane."

Seriously what is he even talking about here? What a whiny little SJW. The story isn't even about MJ. And in that scene she's talking about him during his memorial service. Why in the world would you turn that around to be all about MJ?

And then he calls himself a truther and credits his friend for giving the idea for Miles Morales just because he wrote a "brilliant article" that's really just a page that asks why does Peter Parker have to be white.

"though I’m a truther who traces the character’s beginnings to a brilliant i09 essay by my former colleague Marc Bernardin. “The Last Thing Spider-Man Should Be is Another White Guy,” he stated then. Typical Hollywood, taking eight years to catch up to Bernardin!"

If that's what this guy calls the truth and if he thinks that was a brilliant article I have no idea how he can be writing for a living.
Old 12-16-18, 06:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It almost looks 3D without being in 3D - things in the background have hazy or double outlines. It's really striking and cool.
When I first saw the trailer in the theater I thought it was shown in 3D by mistake. Seeing the movie, I kinda get what they were going for (misaligned ink like in old comics) but it still really annoyed me. It looked like watching 3D without glasses.
I’m surprised that people weren’t confused about this.
Old 12-16-18, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
review thread?
I wonder what his criteria is for creating a review thread? He needs to rethink that.
Old 12-16-18, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Animated movies almost never get review threads around here. I think Incredibles 2 did, but only after some complaining.
Old 12-16-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
His Dad had a criminal past in the comics and wanted to distance himself from the name.
I’ve actually been wondering about this. I’ve read a lot of the post-Secret Wars comics and knew he was an ex-criminal (or was it ex-SHIELD?), so seeing him in trailers as a cop was surprising. But I just chalked it up to this being a different multiverse version of Miles than what’s in the comics. I guess if there’s an answer to this I’ll find out when I go see it this afternoon.
Old 12-16-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,247 Likes on 858 Posts

Quick thought re: 3D or not 3D, that is the question.

Saw it in IMAX 3D last night. While I can't make a good comparison until I see it in 2D (hoping to catch it again this week), I would say the 3D probably didn't add much. It may have been the animation style or it may have been that I just watched another movie that had gorgeous 3D, but I never noticed any stand out 3D.

I don't have an accurate comparison yet, but I would say save the extra couple of bucks and go standard.
Old 12-16-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Quick thought re: 3D or not 3D, that is the question.

Saw it in IMAX 3D last night. While I can't make a good comparison until I see it in 2D (hoping to catch it again this week), I would say the 3D probably didn't add much. It may have been the animation style or it may have been that I just watched another movie that had gorgeous 3D, but I never noticed any stand out 3D.

I don't have an accurate comparison yet, but I would say save the extra couple of bucks and go standard.
I'm sure you didn't have as many kids as i did yesterday at the 1:10 show.
Old 12-16-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering 10pm was the only 3D show ... (bonus!)

The crowd was pretty small -- maybe 30 or so people in total -- and there were NO kids.
Old 12-16-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great movie, loved the soundtrack and animation style. This was a great introduction of Miles and Spider Gwen to the public.
Old 12-16-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

It was a good movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit as a smashing piece of pop art both deconstructing and celebrating the Spider-Man legend. As a story, it was OK. Nothing earth-shattering, nothing too deep. Good fun.

Assuredly it is massively overpraised by critics, but it's still a good movie.

The POST CREDITS SEQUENCE was funnier, sharper, and more enjoyable than anything in the rest of the movie.
Old 12-16-18, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll echo what others are saying. This was a fantastic film all around. Way better than Incredibles 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet. My son (10) was literally on the edge of his seat the entire movie. That says a lot as he's as laid back as it gets.

I can't remember the last time I had this much fun at a movie.
Old 12-16-18, 06:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by nmr1723
I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with a movie.
yes. #3 of year for me.
Old 12-16-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Considering 10pm was the only 3D show ... (bonus!)

The crowd was pretty small -- maybe 30 or so people in total -- and there were NO kids.
Yeah, but I didn't want 3D so my options were kids or take a half day from work, and I wasn't excited enough about this movie to warrant a half vacation day.
Old 12-16-18, 07:44 PM

I do have to say that the
Spoiler:
death of Peter Parker/Spider-Man
should have made this PG-13. That was implied, but pretty graphic for a PG crowd imo...
Old 12-16-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, now that I have had some time to digest it ... some more random thoughts that haven't been said too many times.

Into the Spider-Verse is to Spider-Man what The Lego Batman Movie is to Batman. Don't worry, it isn't that over-the-top with it's humor, but it takes ALL of the movies and media before it and embraces them -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. (Paraphrasing) "Yeah, I even did that, but let's never talk about it again."

I liked most of the character designs. The two that I didn't care for were King Pin and Green Goblin. Is there a comic book version of Green Goblin that is the size of a house? As for King Pin, I wasn't as enthralled with him as many have been. Sticking his head in the middle of his chest for many of his shots was an odd choice. The "up shots" of him that do not have his shoulders over his head looked great.

While I really liked the introduction of the Spider-Gang, I wish they had been given more to do. They did not bring much to the film beyond looking good and fighting henchmen in the background. Also, Nicolas Cage was terrible. He is always terrible. Even his voice work is terrible.

I agree with Hokeyboy that the critics are heaping way too much praise on this, but it is a damn good film.
Old 12-16-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I do have to say that the
Spoiler:
death of Peter Parker/Spider-Man
should have made this PG-13. That was implied, but pretty graphic for a PG crowd imo...
Eh, these are the same parents wanting to take their kids to Once Upon a DeadPool.
Old 12-16-18, 07:54 PM

Eh, these are the same parents wanting to take their kids to Once Upon a DeadPool.
Yeah, I understand they get younger and younger and what they are exposed to, and some parents don’t give a shit, which is too bad, but there are some kids younger than 12, I’ll say, that don’t need to see that if they even understand...
Old 12-16-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier today.

As others have already mentioned, I thought the film was fun with a whole lot of heart.

The animation style didn't bother me as much as it did to others.
Old 12-16-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

May take my kid to this one. She loves Spiderman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.