Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Old 10-02-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,437 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

Looks good, I'm trying to reinvigorate my son's love of Spidey with the video game right now anyway. He also claimed the aforementioned Marvel Legends Spider Ham (and Pork Grind) from me. The movie needs Leopardon though.
Old 10-02-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, d: Persichetti/Ramsey/Rothman) -- animated

The blink-and-you’ll-miss-’em references in the Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse trailer

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/2/17...er-easter-eggs

Kind of cool, a lot of little things I didn't catch. And I was wondering if the intro to the trailer was a reference back to the Maguire Spider-Man movies.
Old 10-02-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Wait, that's Peni Parker? And that's the SP//dr suit? Ugh.
Old 10-02-18, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The blink-and-you’ll-miss-’em references in the Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse trailer

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/2/17...er-easter-eggs

Kind of cool, a lot of little things I didn't catch. And I was wondering if the intro to the trailer was a reference back to the Maguire Spider-Man movies.
So, is the main Spider-Man (Peter Parker) in the film the Tobey Maguire version?
Old 10-02-18, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I went to Target today and there was a (super ugly) toy version of him from this movie.

There's a cuter action figure version out now, but it's Marvel Legends, you'll never see it.
The Marvel Legends is actually available right now on Amazon for $19.99, FYI
Old 10-24-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 567 Likes on 413 Posts

I saw the bigger Ham at target yesterday.
Looked really neat to me.

You could fit 20 of the Legends version into it.
Old 11-28-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 195 Posts

Ouch, B- from EW: https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2018/11...-verse-review/
Old 11-28-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 798 Posts

Guess there's no real embargo happening?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spi...e_spider_verse

100% so far with a surprisingly high 8.4/10 rating

"'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' represents some of the best superhero storytelling on the market." - The Wrap

Originally Posted by windom
I've never seen somebody defend Raimi's Spider-man 3 before, or really Mary Jane from any of the 3, that's ... interesting.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-28-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,932 Likes on 4,048 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

I've never seen somebody defend Raimi's Spider-man 3 before, or really Mary Jane from any of the 3, that's ... interesting.
Also don't know if I can really trust anyone who refers to Civil War and Infinity Wars as "disastrous".
Old 11-28-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 283 Posts

EW always has the worst reviews. The main reason I cancelled my sub. I never agreed with them.
Old 11-28-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, reviews are excellent. Looking forward to it.

Also, holy crap that EW review is bad. It hurts just reading the first couple paragraphs.
Old 11-28-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

That’s awesome dying to see this movie with the boys. Spider-Man is my 6 year old favorite superhero and he has seen the live action movies and cartoons already. Actually it was my favorite too while I was growing up
Old 11-30-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts

NOVEMBER 27, 2018 11:34am PT by Borys Kit
'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Sequel and All-Female Spinoff in the Works From Sony (Exclusive)

Is that Spider-Sense tingling?

With just weeks to go before Sony unveils the buzzy animated movie, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Sony Pictures Animation is already putting the pieces together for not just a sequel but a spinoff as well.

Joaquim Dos Santos, known for his work on cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and, more recently, Netflix’s Voltron series, has been tapped to direct the sequel. David Callaham, who penned The Expendables and worked on Wonder Woman 1984 as well as Zombieland 2, is writing.

At the same time, Lauren Montgomery, who also worked on Voltron and co-directed animated movies Batman: Year One and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse for DC, is in negotiations to helm an untitled Spider-centric project that will gather the female heroes in the Spider-Man universe of characters in one adventure. Bek Smith, who did production rewrites on Captain Marvel and is rewriting a Lego movie project for Warners, will pen the script.

Amy Pascal, who is a producer on Spider-Verse as well as the live-action movies, will be back in the producer’s chair for these projects. Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the brainiacs behind Spider-Verse, are expected to be creatively involved, although no deals have been made. Avi Arad and Christina Steinberg are also expected to return in some capacity.

Details for the sequel are not being revealed, but seeds have been planted in the upcoming inaugural outing, in which mixed-race character Miles Morales takes center stage.

For the all-female spinoff, no plot details are sticking on the web at this time, but look for the project to center on fan favorite Spider-Gwen. Spider-Woman, Madame Web, Spider-Girl and Silk are other possible contenders.

Sony is very much capitalizing on every aspect of Spider-Man it can. Venom, based on a Spidey villain, broke October box office records and has spun over $822 million worldwide since its Oct. 5 opening — with over $211 million of that tally domestically.

Into the Spider-Verse is set to bow Dec. 14 and is already building buzz as an animation awards player, thanks to its unique style.

Among other projects in development is a feature on the antihero Morbius the Living Vampire, with Jared Leto attached to star.
Old 11-30-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 798 Posts

Up to a 9 out of 10 avg score on rottentomatoes w/ 100% and 49 reviews.
Old 12-07-18, 09:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the movie tonight. I heard good buzz but didn’t expect it to be one of the most enjoyable movies I’d see this year. The blend of comedy, drama and action worked well, and the visual style was very different - the live action comic book matched with the tone. Even the soundtrack was good (definitely getting it).

Edit: decided to read that EW review link afterwards. Wow, I’m 45 and not as jaded and hating life as that dude. Woof, just glad I can still enjoy movies.

Last edited by greydttwo; 12-07-18 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Dunno if anyone knows, but if you watch Venom; after the credits is like a 4 minute segment of Into the Spider-verse.
Old 12-07-18, 10:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Dunno if anyone knows, but if you watch Venom; after the credits is like a 4 minute segment of Into the Spider-verse.
i hope to Spider-verse this weekend...
Old 12-07-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,164 Likes on 895 Posts

I'm doing it next week. This early sneak preview is only for AMC and Regal's.
Old 12-07-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 735 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm doing it next week. This early sneak preview is only for AMC and Regal's.
False. It's showing at MJR theaters by me.
Old 12-08-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Crap, I didn't know there were preview showings this weekend. Not many good seats left at the theater near me.
Old 12-08-18, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
So, is the main Spider-Man (Peter Parker) in the film the Tobey Maguire version?
I recommend avoiding spoiling yourself on the references. It’s kinda fun to have them hit you from out of the blue vs expecting them to come. It really adds to the enjoyment.

Also recommend staying past the end credits. It gave a nice final laugh to leave the theater with (I left the theater shaking my head with a smile on my face).
Old 12-08-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My friend and I decided to go ahead and catch a preview screening, driving 45 minutes to a theater that had good reserved seats left that weren't in the very front.

Overall... really, really enjoyed it. Honestly, I'm impressed we actually got this kind of movie released to theaters opposed to some just direct to home video animated movie like we typically get from Marvel or DC. It tells a kind of wild story that there's no way one of the live action flicks would ever touch, and I think for a comic book fan that's used to reading stories about multiple dimensions, alternate versions of characters, and universes colliding it's probably everything that you would want to see.

As someone critical of the early trailers because of the animation, I really ended up appreciating it in the movie and it's hyperkinetic style that really helps it stand out from other animation styles these days, which either are too much Anime-style or seem to be variations of the Bruce Timm Batman style that's been around for decades. It feels like there's a bunch of contrasting styles that all blend together to really make it feel like a comic book movie in a way that hasn't been really attempted like Ang Lee's Hulk.

Regarding the actual story...

Spoiler:
They just did an awesome job establishing Miles. I never read Ultimate, so I didn't know a whole lot about him, but it was fun seeing a youthful Parker with a style that separates himself from Peter. While we see all the other Spider-People in action, and i love the running gag of each Spider-Man describing how they got there, they still manage to tell a Miles origin story effectively along with his relationship with his dad, his uncle the Prowler, and the way he interacts with Peter and Gwen while learning the ropes.

Peter #2 manages to play a wonderful mentor and supporting role, and handles the existing audience knowledge of him and MJ to make his situation hit the right feels, and I would love to see a full length movie starring Gwen who is just fun to watch. I wondered how Jake Johnson would work as Spider-Man, but as the older fat Spidey that broke up with MJ managed to fit him perfectly. Sweat pants and all. My only complaint might be the design of Kingpin, who was a little TOO far out and gigantic in the scope of the movie.

And yes, there's an end credits scene.

Spoiler:
Spider-Man 2099 was awesome, but the ensuing spoof of the Spider-Man meme of him pointing at himself was just amazing to me. I'm sure some people will be left scratching their heads, but for me it was perfect.
Old 12-09-18, 01:32 AM

It’s interesting to see some people out there complaining “That’s not the Peter Parker I know” without seeing the movie:

Spoiler:
I loved how they depicted Peter #2 not because they knocked him down a notch, but because of the times I’ve read through a wiki for any superhero, I always thought: “How does that NOT take a toll?” Just from the fast recap they did of his 20 years as Spider-Man, you see that toll and that struck me since it ladders back to Peter Parker being the “every man” hero.

Also, want to confirm with others that Peter #2 is a combo of the McGuire Spider-Man (due to the movie recreations esp. that hilarious callout to SM3 dance sequence) + the comic book version since I think they had the wedding issue mock-up that was the big event when I was growing up.

Maybe it’s just me (who’s not a diehard SM fan but have been there for parts of the history), but in the end, this was a wonderful love letter to Spider-Man as a whole.
Old 12-12-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 263 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm not usually into animated versions of what is usually already a live action franchise, but this movie looks like it will be good and could be a sleeper hit. It has a well liked character "Peter Parker" Spider-Man as well as introducing the general audience to the more unknown "Spider-People". The movie seems to be even making a previously upopular character, Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider-Ham into a hit. From the trailer, it looks like the movie will have a lot of good humor throughout it as well. It's one of the few for the holidays that I'm actually looking forward to seeing and making an effort to catch in the theater.
Old 12-12-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 567 Likes on 413 Posts

What makes you say Spider-Ham is unpopular?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.