Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Originally Posted by Super X
If you can get past the somewhat sensational article title, this writer has a good perspective on the issue:

http://screencrush.com/spider-man-ma...a-controversy/
Here's a great response on the comments section for that article...

I believe the problem people have is that when people are casting a role, it appears as though they throw out the comic or actual description and simply hire people who are hot at the moment or who have a connection with either the director, another star or in this case, the studio (aka Disney, the studio that hired her for the Disney Channel TV show).

When casting for a role, you'd think they pull out a few examples of the comic character and say, in this case for MJ, a young female, fair skin, bright red hair with model quality looks, thin and tall. This isn't in and of itself racist, so stop trying to make it that way. It's simply trying to hire an actress to bring to life the most "truest" form of the comic character.

To cast a dark skin, brunette, who's short (though she is very pretty) negates everthing a true casting director should do. When lines lines like this are broken, it opens up stuff saying, hey, you know the "Blob" from X-Men, yeah, well we are casting a guy who weighs just over 110lbs. Or casting someone who's 300lbs to play Wolverine, would you be okay with that? I don't think people are not liking HER because of her race, as much as it is they just don't like her for this role as she doesn't visually fit the legacy of MJ. Comic fans are passionate people, especially people who grew up and identify with decades of material. Using examples of how MJ talks is irrevelant, talking slang (i.e. dad, daddio, cat, tiger, square etc.) is much like fashion, it changes over time. But what hasn't is MJ's visual. She is, who she is.

That all being said, I'm not saying she can't play the role, for me, as long as they give her red hair, I'm fine with it.
Is it really so wrong to want characters that have strong, iconic visual images to retain those visual images on screen?
Old 08-21-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (MCU reboot) (7/7/2017 - D: Jon Watts) S: Tom Holland

Originally Posted by B5Erik
She would be...
Your requirements are going to make for a very limited pool of kids in Peter's school. Peter's a brown-haired male, can't have any more, that might create confusion. Only one red-headed male, otherwise people wouldn't know which one is Flash Thompson. Only one red-headed girl, that's MJ. Uh-oh, Liz Allan and Gwen Stacy are both blondes. Ah, though, Liz has wavy hair, so they must hire a wavy-haired blonde to be Liz. I think this means that Peter's going to have a LOT of jet-haired female classmates, then, eh?
Old 08-21-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
If Zendaya plays a kick-ass MJ, the color of her hair won't matter one bit.
That's putting an awful lot of pressure on such a young girl.

What if she's not up to it? What if she doesn't kick ass in the role? What if she's just another pretty face who is mediocre with the acting?

Then the movie is brought down a peg.

They're setting her up for failure, not success. If she does great, it's a great character that she nailed. If she's mediocre or worse then she ruins the scenes she's in - and she doesn't look like the character she's playing.

There's more potential downside than upside to this change.
Old 08-21-16, 10:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can get past the somewhat sensational article title, this writer has a good perspective on the issue:

http://screencrush.com/spider-man-ma...a-controversy/
I stopped reading after this sentence.
Simply dismissing Zendaya’s qualifications to play this role because of her skin color is the literal definition of racism.
With that thought process King Kong can be cast as a giant human. They're both apes right? So if you disagree, your a racist. Ass.
Old 08-21-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it really so wrong to want characters that have strong, iconic visual images to retain those visual images on screen?
Is it wrong to WANT it? No, but I think you're limiting yourself when you start off with a point of view that you absolutely will not accept it if they don't look exactly like they do in the comics. That's not wrong, but it is kind of sad.
Old 08-21-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your requirements are going to make for a very limited pool of kids in Peter's school. Peter's a brown-haired male, can't have any more, that might create confusion. Only one red-headed male, otherwise people wouldn't know which one is Flash Thompson. Only one red-headed girl, that's MJ. Uh-oh, Liz Allan and Gwen Stacy are both blondes. Ah, though, Liz has wavy hair, so they must hire a wavy-haired blonde to be Liz. I think this means that Peter's going to have a LOT of jet-haired female classmates, then, eh?
You're exaggerating to make a point.

MJ isn't just another supporting character. She's Peter's future wife.

Liz Allen or Betty Brant they can change because those characters weren't as important in the comics. They could change ethnicities of those characters and make them more important to the story in the movie and it would work beautifully.

But changing an iconic character with such a strong visual image as MJ? That's just stupid.
Old 08-21-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's putting an awful lot of pressure on such a young girl.

What if she's not up to it? What if she doesn't kick ass in the role? What if she's just another pretty face who is mediocre with the acting?

Then the movie is brought down a peg.

They're setting her up for failure, not success. If she does great, it's a great character that she nailed. If she's mediocre or worse then she ruins the scenes she's in - and she doesn't look like the character she's playing.

There's more potential downside than upside to this change.
Whereas if it's a girl who already has red hair, there's absolutely no pressure on her at all. She's already got an in with the small minority for whom hair color is a deal breaker.
Old 08-21-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it wrong to WANT it? No, but I think you're limiting yourself when you start off with a point of view that you absolutely will not accept it if they don't look exactly like they do in the comics. That's not wrong, but it is kind of sad.
Really? I read comics from 1974 to 1996. I love those characters and have a strong connection to them (both in terms of nostalgia, and in terms of how much I loved the characters and their images).

Why would I be happy about having those things that I love changed?

It's just like when my car was in the shop being fixed and I drove a nice rental car. It was better than my car in some ways, worse in others - but I missed my car. I wanted my car back asap.

I want the characters I've known and loved and have nostalgic feelings about to remain who they are, both visually and in terms of personality. If I want new characters there are hundreds of movies every year with new characters. If I go see Spider-Man I want the characters I became attached to 40 years ago.

That's sad?
Old 08-21-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whereas if it's a girl who already has red hair, there's absolutely no pressure on her at all. She's already got an in with the small minority for whom hair color is a deal breaker.
There would be less pressure because there wouldn't be the issue of an iconic image being changed and fans wouldn't focus on her as much.

Zenyatta's got to knock it out of the park otherwise it will look like a bad casting decision. An OK performance just points out that they could have kept the iconic image and it would have felt more like the comic book come to life, which would have been better.

It's basically like the old Home Run Derby TV show - it's a home run or an out.
Old 08-21-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? I read comics from 1974 to 1996. I love those characters and have a strong connection to them (both in terms of nostalgia, and in terms of how much I loved the characters and their images).

Why would I be happy about having those things that I love changed?

It's just like when my car was in the shop being fixed and I drove a nice rental car. It was better than my car in some ways, worse in others - but I missed my car. I wanted my car back asap.

I want the characters I've known and loved and have nostalgic feelings about to remain who they are, both visually and in terms of personality. If I want new characters there are hundreds of movies every year with new characters. If I go see Spider-Man I want the characters I became attached to 40 years ago.

That's sad?
I've read comics from 1972 to the present. I have nostalgic feelings towards the comics, but I'm also excited to see how a different medium interprets the characters. I may like it, I may not, but I've got those old comics I loved and, if I want to see the characters exactly the way they were in those old comics, I'll read those old comics. You have a different view and you're entitled to it, but that doesn't make my viewpoint any wronger or righter than yours, just different. But I feel sad that you're denying yourself the possibility of seeing some potentially really good films and portrayals because you've enslaved yourself to a particular visual representation in a different medium.
Old 08-21-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read comics from 1972 to the present. I have nostalgic feelings towards the comics, but I'm also excited to see how a different medium interprets the characters. I may like it, I may not, but I've got those old comics I loved and, if I want to see the characters exactly the way they were in those old comics, I'll read those old comics. You have a different view and you're entitled to it, but that doesn't make my viewpoint any wronger or righter than yours, just different. But I feel sad that you're denying yourself the possibility of seeing some potentially really good films and portrayals because you've enslaved yourself to a particular visual representation in a different medium.
Just like with Jack Reacher, I'll go see this movie. I love Spider-Man. He's always been my favorite Superhero.

But if Zenyatta doesn't hit it out of the park it is going to hurt the movie (not having an identifiable Mary Jane). Like I said above, it's either going to be a home run or an out with her performance since she doesn't look the part.

Tom Cruise hit a home run with Jack Reacher. I don't think anyone could have done better.

Will the same be true of Zenyatta? I doubt it. Tom Cruise, for all his personal issues, is a very, VERY good actor with decades of experience and gravitas. Zenyatta's new and inexperienced and will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to keep her casting from being a detriment to the movie.
Old 08-21-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just like with Jack Reacher, I'll go see this movie. I love Spider-Man. He's always been my favorite Superhero.

But if Zenyatta doesn't hit it out of the park it is going to hurt the movie (not having an identifiable Mary Jane). Like I said above, it's either going to be a home run or an out with her performance since she doesn't look the part.

Tom Cruise hit a home run with Jack Reacher. I don't think anyone could have done better.

Will the same be true of Zenyatta? I doubt it. Tom Cruise, for all his personal issues, is a very, VERY good actor with decades of experience and gravitas. Zenyatta's new and inexperienced and will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to keep her casting from being a detriment to the movie.
You see, I always go back to another actor who didn't look the part: Michael Keaton. That should have been the lesson going forward not to assume that it's more likely than not that the casting will fail.
Old 08-21-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You see, I always go back to another actor who didn't look the part: Michael Keaton. That should have been the lesson going forward not to assume that it's more likely than not that the casting will fail.
What???

Micheal Keaton TOTALLY looked the part.

It was his image as a wacky comedy actor that people had a problem with. Very few people thought he could pull off a serious role like that (since it wasn't billed as the campy Batman of the 60's TV series).

But visually he was as good as anyone who ever played Bruce Wayne.

And he had a decade of Hollywood experience before taking on that role. Zenyatta's got, what? 3 months of experience on a kids' show?

She's being set up to fail. Unless she is amazingly talented beyond her years and experience she's more likely to fail than succeed since she doesn't look like the character she's playing. She's got to embody the ultra-confident, ultra-cool Mary Jane from the comics. Not an easy task for such a young, inexperienced actress.
Old 08-21-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Yeah Keaton seemed like a terrible choice, and I thought a young Val Kilmer was a perfect choice, so what do I know? Even without his comedy background, Keaton was just not how I envisioned Bruce Wayne, nor did he even look remotely like any comic I rememberedm, while I thought, for instance, Bale was perfect.

The real question is, are you really going to NOT see this movie because of this, B5Erik?
Old 08-21-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah Keaton seemed like a terrible choice, and I thought a young Val Kilmer was a perfect choice, so what do I know?

The real question is, are you really going to NOT see this movie because of this, B5Erik?
Read my above comments, and your question will be answered.
Old 08-21-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Read my above comments, and your question will be answered.
Can you point me to which one, because you have a LOT of comments...
Old 08-21-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Can you point me to which one, because you have a LOT of comments...
No, because if you take stuff out of context then it can be (and around here usually is) misinterpreted.

But it's on this page and not hard to find...
Old 08-21-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Who is Zenyatta?
Old 08-21-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Who is Zenyatta?
A racehorse. And not a redhead, either.
Old 08-21-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Who is Zenyatta?
Zenyatta Mondatta - the new Mary Jane Watson.
Old 08-21-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 815 Likes on 386 Posts

Or casting someone who's 300lbs to play Wolverine, would you be okay with that?
Or how about casting someone who's 6'2" to play Wolverine? That would never work, right?
Old 08-21-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Or how about casting someone who's 6'2" to play Wolverine? That would never work, right?
I know Hugh Jackman is listed as 6'2", but he looks a lot more like 5'10" to me...

But his face matches the image in the comics. And expecting to find someone who is 5'4" to have the gravitas to play Wolverine isn't very realistic.

Jackman pulled it off because of his outstanding acting skills. Zenyatta has virtually no experience outside of kids' stuff and likely nowhere near that level of acting skill. So how's she going to pull this off?

She's going to have to give an amazing performance to become Mary Jane Watson. I don't believe she's got the acting chops to pull that off. Almost everything that she has been in has been kids stuff, which leads to poor acting. I think she's going to be a typical post teen actor playing a teenager - not very good.

This was a corportate decision to market one of their actors/actresses. It may very well turn out to be a bad decision.
Old 08-21-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 815 Likes on 386 Posts

Jackman pulled it off because of his outstanding acting skills. Zenyatta has virtually no experience outside of kids' stuff and likely nowhere near that level of acting skill. So how's she going to pull this off?
Where was all the evidence of these outstanding acting skills before he got the gig though? Outside of Australian TV, he was a total unknown.
Old 08-21-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Where was all the evidence of these outstanding acting skills before he got the gig though? Outside of Australian TV, he was a total unknown.
He was an unknown in the U.S., but in Australia he was known.

And he had a lot more acting experience (and in non kiddie shows) than Zenyatta does.

And since he wasn't tied to anything Fox was promoting he wasn't given the role to increase his marketability in something else.

Are you really trying to say that Zenyatta is on Jackman's level when it comes to acting??
Old 08-21-16, 01:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Jesus Christ, she's a teenager.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.