Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How/When did Nic Cage become a B Grade Movie Actor ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How/When did Nic Cage become a B Grade Movie Actor ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: How/When did Nic Cage become a B Grade Movie Actor ?

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Nic Cage is more entertaining than Sean Connery in The Rock, he carried that movie, which is the only great movie Michael Bay made.
Love the Rock I used to watch that every week back in the day.
Love all the classic Cage movies mentioned here too.
He might be gone into B status but he gave us a lot of good stuff back in the day.
Maybe one day there will be another great Cage movie

And now there are Redbox original movies? Damnn what's next a Wallgreens original movie ?
Old 05-09-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When I visited a video store in Osaka two years ago, they had a Nicolas Cage section. Anyone know what these films are?

The second movie is Joe. No idea on the first one.

He probably played most annoying character in the history of movies when he played that redneck who wanted to kill Osama.
Old 05-09-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester;13327944[B
]When you spend $2 million on a dinosaur skull that turns out to be stolen[/B]
Wow. First I ever heard of this. What's the story there?
Old 05-10-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

There's a lesser-known movie named Mom and Dad that popped up on Hulu (for free). A take on zombies (or maybe a reimagining of The Happening), where the parents all want to kill their children. Nic Cage is a lot of fun to watch in it. It's a short, fun movie.
Old 05-10-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When I visited a video store in Osaka two years ago, they had a Nicolas Cage section. Anyone know what these films are?

This one is THE RUNNER. I've seen it!

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/22283/therunner.html
Old 05-11-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I like Nic Cage. He still makes something excellent once out of every 6 or 7 movies. That said, I feel these clips belong in this thread.

Old 05-12-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another winner on the way

Old 05-12-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
There's a lesser-known movie named Mom and Dad that popped up on Hulu (for free). A take on zombies (or maybe a reimagining of The Happening), where the parents all want to kill their children. Nic Cage is a lot of fun to watch in it. It's a short, fun movie.
I saw the trailer for that and it looked entertaining. Thanks for pointing out it’s on Hulu.
Old 05-12-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked but after so many bad movies not anymore.

All of the bad movies ruined the cred he built up in the 80's and 90's when he did good and entertaining movies.
Old 05-12-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

For as much crap as he gets (and deservedly so) he does pull off the occasional good performance sometimes. Stuff like The Frozen Ground and Joe are both decent movies with good performances.
Old 05-14-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I’m voting “he always was, he just manages to punch above his weight class every now and then.”
Old 11-12-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This looks fantastic

Old 11-12-19, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
This looks fantastic

https://youtu.be/tiCKjn9SRBg
Honestly, I’d watch that. At least it looks a little more original than the “Cop/hitman/mobster out for vengeance” movies he seems to churn out on a monthly basis.
Old 11-12-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I pulled this mostly from inri222’s (5 y/o list), plus IMDB, to form my list of things I think he was good in. My list won’t be comprehensive, since there’s possibly at least one movie out there that I haven’t seen but would like.
My list:
Raising Arizona (my favorite performance of his)
Leaving Las Vegas (great & haunting movie)
The Rock -> Con Air -> Face/Off (this trifecta imho shows his full transition from acting into over the top overacting he gets criticized for)
City of Angels (enjoyed this one, and he managed to dial back the zany overacting back to zero for this)
The Family Man (Cage was fine in this, but the movie itself is horribly depressing, nothing I’ll ever watch again, most likely)
National Treasure (what can I say? Fun Indiana Jones / DaVinci Code-esque movie)
Knowing (he got a little over the top here, but not too bad)
Kick-Ass (another fun but disturbing movie)

And... that’s about it. I know I’ve passed on a lot of his filmography, but many of those looked like blatant B movies.
Old 11-13-19, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The makers of Snakes on a Plane bring you... ANIMALS ON A BOAT.
Old 11-13-19, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel like the reputation Nic Cage has deserves a figurative Face/Off with John Travolta. In the past 20 years Cage has made Bringing Out The Dead, Adaptation, Bad Lieutenant, Joe and Mandy. 5 films that in my humble opinion are excellent. Along with Lord of War, Matchstick Men, Kick Ass, Dog Eat Dog and Snowden, which were all at least decent/pretty good. Whereas John Travolta? I don't think he's made a really good film since The Thin Red Line in 1998. And he was in that for what? 5 minutes? Love Song for Bobby Long was pretty good I guess. But thats about it. I'd take it even a step further, John Travolta's entire career isn't even worth the last 20 years of Cage's. The 20 years that were supposedly Cage's terrible ones. I won't argue that Cage does a ton of crap, because he does. But there are other "A list" actors who have done much worse. Maybe its because Cage goes way over the top in his bad movies? I don't know.
Old 11-13-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

But everyone acknowledges that Travolta's career is a joke these days, so what's you're point?
Old 11-13-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could he get that one Oscar worthy role that could bring him back to good movies like Travolta did with Pulp Fiction?

Mickey Rourke had that with the Wrestler but then eventually he went back to the career he had before that nomination.
Old 11-17-19, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Come back!

Nicolas Cage in Talks to Star as Nicolas Cage in Meta Drama 'The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent'

Lionsgate, beating out several suitors such as HBO Max and Paramount, is in final negotiations to pick up The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (can there be anything more Cage-like?), The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The meta movie project has a script by Tom Gormican and Kevin Etten, with Gormican attached to direct.

Cage, if deals close, would star as actor Nicolas Cage. The character is desperate to get a role in a new Tarantino movie while also dealing with a strained relationship with his teenage daughter. He also occasionally talks to an egotistical 1990s version of himself who rides him for making too many crappy movies and for not being a star anymore.

The Cage character is also under a mountain of debt and finds himself forced to make an appearance at the birthday party of a Mexican billionaire who happens to be a fan of Cage’s work and secretly hopes to show him a script on which he’s been working.

While he bonds with the man, Cage is informed by the CIA that the billionaire is actually a drug cartel kingpin who has kidnapped the daughter of a Mexican presidential nominee and is recruited by the U.S. government to get intelligence. The situation spirals even more dramatically when the Mexican brings over Cage’s daughter and his ex-wife for a reconciliation, and when their lives are on the line, Cage takes on the role of a lifetime.

The story is meta and includes nods to Cage works such as Leaving Las Vegas, Face-Off and Gone in 60 Seconds, while the script that Cage and the Mexican are writing begins to mirror events on the storyline. The project has tones of Adaptation, which starred Cage, Jean-Claude Van Damme’s meta movie JCVD, and the John Travolta Hollywood caper Get Shorty, among others.

According to sources, the script was shown to Cage accompanied with a letter that Gormican wrote, pleading his case and saying how the piece was a love letter to the actor, not something that made fun of him. Cage was convinced and became attached only in recent weeks.

The interest in the project was so high that sources say Cage is lining up to achieve a payday that would put him in the same range he was in when making such studio hits as Con Air and National Treasure.
Sounds awesome, will watch
Old 11-17-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Back in like 2011 he did a film with Guy Pearce called Seeking Justice. It's a fun little genre film:

Old 11-18-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I admit I liked Vengeance the movie he did with Don Johnson.
Old 11-20-19, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocket1312
But everyone acknowledges that Travolta's career is a joke these days, so what's you're point?
I suppose that Cage's career is made out to be much more of a punch line than Travolta's. The "Nic Cage does nothing but straight to video crap" narrative has so much more steam than the general consensus on Travolta's career. Even if like you say people consider his career a joke, its still majorly lopsided. In reality, Nic Cage has made some excellent films over the past 20 years, while Travolta hasn't made one. Cage's career is MUCH better, but his reputation is worse. Like I said, they need a figurative Face/Off.
Old 11-20-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I suppose that Cage's career is made out to be much more of a punch line than Travolta's. The "Nic Cage does nothing but straight to video crap" narrative has so much more steam than the general consensus on Travolta's career. Even if like you say people consider his career a joke, its still majorly lopsided. In reality, Nic Cage has made some excellent films over the past 20 years, while Travolta hasn't made one. Cage's career is MUCH better, but his reputation is worse. Like I said, they need a figurative Face/Off.
I still don't really understand why it matters unless you just really wanted to use that face off line. So every time someone makes fun of Cage they should follow that up with "but you know who really sucks..."? Just about any clip from Wicker Man or the picture of him as Superman are enough to give him legendary meme status for life no matter what else he does. If you're that worried about Cage then just be happy he isn't best known these days for dead kids, sex scandals and scientology.
Old 11-20-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Despite the fact that Cage has and money troubles and needs any POS movie he can get, he’s still an extremely talented actor when he gets the right material.

I just re-watched Adaptation again last night and forgot what a truly wonderful, Oscar worthy performance he gave.
Old 11-20-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I'll give the guy credit for at least accepting projects that have a certain level of production value behind them, and directors and crews who aren't just phoning it in. He seems like a reliable go-to guy for movie tech people (or actors or stunt guys) wanting to try directing, or moonlighting TV producers looking to direct, or cult guys like Cosmatos or Stanley in need of someone who's not afraid to get weird in a lead role. For better and worse, I'm glad he hasn't followed the path of Bruce Willis, who seems to parachute in for a couple of hours worth of shooting on one set. At least not yet -- Willis is nearly a decade older, so I guess we'll see. These appear to be the remainder of Cage's seven 2019 pictures (and he's got almost as many line up for next year):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZeQ4dKlhknI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X1inQ_F7emQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZF96ePDER1Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brian T; 11-20-19 at 11:01 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.