Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are we on superhero overload yet?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are we on superhero overload yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Are we on superhero overload yet?

Originally Posted by taffer
Source? I have never heard any rumors of this nature, but I have heard rumors of a Supergirl TV series.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...e-krypton.html
Old 11-02-14, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
So basically you just want him relegated to smaller fare like Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Zodiac again.

I actually like what Iron Man did for his career. I've always liked RDJ and am glad he can actually headline not only a successful comic book franchise, but seemingly can get asses in to seats for any of his movies. Ten years ago if you told me the highest paid guy in Hollywood would be Robert Downey Jr. I'd have laughed in your face.
I want him to just open up his variety. I enjoy the living hell out him, on and off the screen, but I want to see him do different stuff.

I haven't seen The Judge, looked mediocre to me, and The Soloist. So maybe those were different from the usual Downey Jr. stuff.

And Tropic Thunder was a whole other world. Love that one. Still a lot of himself in there but so crazy.
Old 11-02-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
When WB was working with Richard Donner to make groundbreaking comic book films Marvel was... what was Marvel doing movie-wise in 1978? Let's just focus on the current generation of comic book movies to keep things cleaner.
I think Marvel was doing the live action Spiderman television series and the Fantastic Four Saturday morning cartoon. Not inspiring stuff.

Originally Posted by rw2516
Most trends die out because they run out of ideas and it just becomes the same old tired stuff. One thing the superhero movies have going for them that previous trends did not is that there is 50 years of plots and storylines already written to milk. There is some real pemo stuff just sitting on the shelf:
Kree/Skull War
High Evolutionary
Colonizers of Rigel
Beta-Ray Bill
Alternate Earth
Kang
Secret Wars/Beyonder
Greek Gods/Hercules
And on and on and on

Like when the Bond movies started they had 13 books already written, ready to go. Only now are they in the position of having to create a completely original concept without tanking. Would these movies be as good and popular as they are if the source material didn't exist and they were completely original concepts created by studios having to come up with completely original new ideas for each film?

This will succeed long enough that there will be future poll threads titled "Who was the best Iron Man".
I hope they can pull it off. John Carter showed how a studio can sink a good concept that has a whole series of novels to draw from.

I'd like to see the Kree/Skrull war. But I think the concept that there has been an ongoing war between interstellar empires, with Earth as is an insignificant outpost, is a little to nihilist for the general public.

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Funny thing to ask after TWS and GotG were released this year. Argueably two of the best superhero films ever released. Marvel is building a Mythology, something we have never seen done before in cinema. Each film builds on the other. I'm excited to see where it all goes. The other studios, meh.

"May the force be with you."
"Take your paws off me, you damn dirty ape."
Old 11-02-14, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Source? I have never heard any rumors of this nature, but I have heard rumors of a Supergirl TV series.
They originally had pitched Russell Crowe a prequel movie starring Jor El after seeing him in Man of Steel, but he passed for some reason. So they remade the pitch as a television series, probably without him.
Old 11-03-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Four years ago it was vampires, the last two years it's zombies and now we'll get our helping of super heroes... it'll always be something.
I think right now the saturation point is with the dystopian society flicks. They keep coming and coming. I just watched Maze Runner and now another Hunger Games is soon out.
Old 11-03-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I've never read the comics, but have always liked the mythology surrounding them. For the movies, I like how Marvel isn't spending a bunch of time going over the origin stories again and again. DC seems to restart their properties (mainly just Batman and Superman) over and over. I really like Batman as a character, so I've liked most of the movies, but it's getting old with Superman. The Marvel movies are fun, interconnecting, exciting, and seem like one giant property with all of the characters living together in the same world. DC doesn't seem to do that, at least not with anything out yet.

I've enjoyed all of the Marvel movies to varying degrees since they started with Iron Man. I have not enjoyed all of the DC movies starting with Batman Begins, and that is due to the Superman movies. I hope DC can get everything working in the same vein as Marvel, because I am definitely not on overload yet.