Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are we on superhero overload yet?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-29-14, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 606 Likes on 520 Posts

it just seems everything nowadays is superhero that and superhero this.

it feels like it is sucking all the great movies out of Hollywood.

now, i am not saying these Marvel, DC and other movies aren't great. most are imo, but is it too much? are we now or will be soon sick of all these?
Old 10-29-14, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Are we on superhero overload yet?

Really? Dude.

The Superhero genre is making the most money but it is actually a very small genre in terms of quantity. It's getting the most money being pumped into a project but also it's banking like a motherfucker.

Great movies my ass, motherfucker. You and I both know that there is more shit than good stuff. It has always been like that. Also get the fuck out of Hollywood. Just staying w/ american films? Talk about narrowing your tastes. We live on a fucking planet. Not just fucking Hollywood.

Maybe you should open your gates to films out of Hollywood. Hollywood? Shiiiite. Look at this motherfucker saying shit to say shit. Shiiiiite.
Old 10-29-14, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you high? This has already been discussed in one of the other threads.
Old 10-29-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 696 Posts

I don't really think so. We're seeing more than ever but they still make up a fairly small fraction of the films that get released on a yearly basis. Now whether I think that eventually the general audience may tire of them is a different story.
Old 10-29-14, 05:50 PM
Banned

100 comedies get released a year
100 generic action movies get released a year
100 dramas get released a year
100 cop TV shows are on TV
100 CSI shows are on TV
100 reality shows are on TV

3 or 4 superhero movies get released a year and suddenly it's overload...

Someone in another thread mentioned that there have been nearly 400 movies released this year. The handful of superhero movies are a drop in the bucket.
Old 10-29-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They make up a small percentage of films released each year but they take up an overwhelmingly high percentage as films that are produced by Hollywood with a high production budget. This means fewer Hollywood films that are original stories (such as Nolan's Interstellar) and that are produced to that degree. The more comic-book movies made to the production level of what Hollywood has been doing, and the studio systems produces and supports fewer and fewer auteurs.
Old 10-29-14, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
They make up a small percentage of films released each year but they take up an overwhelmingly high percentage as films that are produced by Hollywood with a high production budget. This means fewer Hollywood films that are original stories (such as Nolan's Interstellar) and that are produced to that degree. The more comic-book movies made to the production level of what Hollywood has been doing, and the studio systems produces and supports fewer and fewer auteurs.
There's really only four studios making superhero movies. WB, Marvel, Sony, and Fox. There are plenty of other studios that can make non-superhero movies.
Old 10-29-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
are we now or will be soon sick of all these?
I've been sick of them for years, but then again, I don't have to watch them. They are a cash cow and Hollywood is going to continue milking this until the tits fall off. Plus 90% of Hollywood films are crap anyways. So if wasn't this (superhero) crap, it would be other crap.
Old 10-29-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see how it's "sucking all the great movies out of Hollywood" at all. And I suppose you could argue it's the success of comic book movies that allowed someone like Nolan to go and do other things.
Old 10-29-14, 06:03 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know people are worried about comic book movie fatigue but really at most we are looking at 7 comic book movies in one year, that's really not a lot of movies to watch. I could happily watch one big budget comic book movie per month. I do think some of the TV shows might be casulties though

and geeks are the most loyal people to their craft, not like a group like Hipsters who change their tastes on a weekly basis
Old 10-29-14, 06:04 PM

IF there is a overload on a genre, it has to be low budget horror films

Way way too many of them
Old 10-29-14, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 404 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Really? Dude.

The Superhero genre is making the most money but it is actually a very small genre in terms of quantity. It's getting the most money being pumped into a project but also it's banking like a motherfucker.

Great movies my ass, motherfucker. You and I both know that there is more shit than good stuff. It has always been like that. Also get the fuck out of Hollywood. Just staying w/ american films? Talk about narrowing your tastes. We live on a fucking planet. Not just fucking Hollywood.

Maybe you should open your gates to films out of Hollywood. Hollywood? Shiiiite. Look at this motherfucker saying shit to say shit. Shiiiiite.
Old 10-29-14, 06:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 606 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Really? Dude.

ouch.
Old 10-29-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 344 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
3 or 4 superhero movies get released a year and suddenly it's overload...
Exactly. About 1% of movies are superhero movies and people think they've taken over. Now, they might be the movie with the most money spent on them, but it's not like it's some sort of market saturation, like comic books where about 90% of them are superheroes.
Old 10-29-14, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Original Desmond View Post

Way way too many of them
Too true. That genre needs to get fucked in ass and kicked to the curb but ya'll motherfuckers still support shit like that cuz you love the genre. Fuck that shit. I want a good movie. I don't got time for shit that I know will be shit. At least I'll attempt something interesting but the whole genre? Fuck no. Horror sucks ass.
Old 10-29-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 572 Posts

Way way too many of them
For starters, the "found footage/videocam POV" sub-genre needs to die.
Old 10-29-14, 06:15 PM

and dare i say, the Zombie subgenre needs a rest ! scary how many low/middle budget zombie movies there are coming out each month !

Problem is it makes it hard to find the good decently budgeted horror films. Id much prefer to see one Saw and Final Destination movie per year than the many mega low budget ripoffs
Old 10-29-14, 06:16 PM

Getting back on track, i guess superhero movies whilst low in percentage of released films, definitely get the most fanfare and attention

They don't hold media events to announce the next 5 years of crappy Seth Rogan and friends comedies
Old 10-29-14, 06:20 PM
Banned

Getting back on track, i guess superhero movies whilst low in percentage of released films, definitely get the most fanfare and attention

They don't hold media events to announce the next 5 years of crappy Seth Rogan and friends comedies
When's the last time a comedy had a box office gross of Avengers, Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy?

Superhero movies get the most attention right now because they dominate the box office right now.

So really if you think the market is oversaturated with superheroes, the public is more at fault than the studios. The studios are just supplying the demand.
Old 10-29-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Oldboy's about to get lynched!

One of the Ten Commandments:
Thou shalt not question superhero movies on the Internet.
Old 10-29-14, 06:55 PM
Banned

Question them all you want like anything else. But That was a stupid comment. The quantity of the superhero genre is so low that there is no way for them to be an overload yet. Horror on the hand...
Old 10-29-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts

I think he was referring to the amount of threads on DVD Talk.
Old 10-29-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 604 Likes on 425 Posts

:
Originally Posted by taffer View Post
There's really only four studios making superhero movies. WB, Marvel, Sony, and Fox. There are plenty of other studios that can make non-superhero movies.
You realize you just named 4 of the 6 major Hollywood studios, right?
Old 10-29-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
If every single movie that came out this year was about comic book characters Taffer would say it's not that bad because only a small percentage of the characters in said movies were superheros.
Old 10-29-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
it just seems everything nowadays is superhero that and superhero this.

it feels like it is sucking all the great movies out of Hollywood.

now, i am not saying these Marvel, DC and other movies aren't great. most are imo, but is it too much? are we now or will be soon sick of all these?
No, If people were sick of it they would stop going.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.