Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 11:24 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: First off, how hard was it to ride those CHP motorcycles? How heavy are they?
DAX SHEPARD: They’re in the 800-pound range, I think, and they are not nimble. There is one scene in the movie where I do what’s called a stoppie. It’s kind of like a reverse wheelie. So you’re driving and then you lock up the front brake and then the whole back end lifts up and then you’re straight up and down and you roll on that front wheel. I did that on that police bike without any rehearsal but consequently crashed twice. We got it on the third time. So I won’t be riding one of those in my off time any time soon.

When you sat down to write this, was the plan to write a serious movie about CHiPs?
My aim was somewhere in the Bad Boys, Lethal Weapon world. That was my take on it. It’s interesting because it’s definitely a comedy where the show is not, but the stakes are very real and the world is real and the physics are real and all those things are grounded. Insane situations happen but it’s not happening in a satire world or a heightened world. It’s a very real world.

Are they heroic guys? How would you describe them?
Michael Pena’s character, he plays Ponch, is an FBI agent who’s asked to go undercover within the CHP to help them figure out which cops are dirty. I am a retired ex-games writer who doesn’t know how to do anything but ride a motorcycle. In an attempt to save my marriage I decide I have to get a new job and the only thing I can do is ride a motorcycle. My wife’s dad’s a cop. Maybe this will woo her back. I join without any necessary desire to be a cop, which I think is the fun of the movie. You have one guy who’s an FBI agent, so he has no reverie for the institution of the CHP and then you have another guy who’s two days on the job and doesn’t have any reverie. Two guys who don’t really necessarily care all that much about upholding any kind of CHP standard.

How did you make what they do seem, well, sexy?
Because I’ve set it up in a way that Pena’s undercover with the FBI, that opens us up to do all kinds of things they wouldn’t normally do that John and Ponch, in the old show, would have never done. They’re investigating a string of armored car robberies. And so they’re allowed to get off that highway and do some investigation and get into trouble outside of the highway. But weirdly when I was researching to write this movie, I didn’t realize this, but the CHP is the state police. I had always had this urban legend understanding that they were only allowed to patrol the highway, but they kind of supersede local law enforcement or city law enforcement. So they are allowed to go anywhere.

It made it a little more special, then, to tell their story.
Yeah, I certainly didn’t want the whole movie to exist on the 118 [in north Los Angeles] as it did on the show.

That’s where you shot, the 118?
No, I think they show the TV show on the 118 as it was under construction. Our highway work was on the 105 between the airport and downtown L.A. It’s pretty hard to get highway space to shoot on in L.A. because those are pretty much the two freeways you’re allowed to shoot on. In fact since shooting the movie every movie or TV show I now see where they have a highway scene, I’m like oh yeah, that’s exactly where we were.

For more exclusive first looks, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on stands Friday, or buy it here — and subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Did you work much with the real CHP?
Yeah, we did. I think it was a precarious decision for them to be involved because it is an R-rated comedy. I think they ultimately took the position, luckily, that the movie was going to happen with or without them, so we basically had some very light compromises. They had some pretty modest requests that I was able to change in the script phase so that they would be a little happier. And then because of that we had access to CHP central, which is really crucial to me. I really wanted to be able to shoot at that iconic station that the show had shot at.

Where does the R rating come from? Language?
There’s female nudity. There’s more me nudity than probably any other nudity. And then yeah, there’s a lot of adult material and sexual stuff and naughty language.

Is this most nude you’ve ever been in a project?
No, I launched my career on Punk’d being bare naked in front of Jessica Alba. This was actually a step forward. I’m at least blurred in parts here.
http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/23/chip...-michael-pena/
Old 01-11-17, 02:23 PM

Jon Baker and Frank “Ponch” Poncherello have just joined the California Highway Patrol (CHP) in Los Angeles but for very different reasons. Baker is a beaten up pro motorbiker trying to put his life and marriage back together. Poncherello is a cocky undercover Federal agent investigating a multi-million dollar heist that may be an inside job—inside the CHP. The inexperienced rookie and hardened pro are teamed together, but clash more than click, so kickstarting a partnership is easier said than done. But with Baker’s bike skills combined with Ponch’s street savvy it might just work…if they don’t drive each other crazy along the way.
Trailer will premiere tonight on Kimmel.
Old 01-11-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Looks like they screwed up the logo:

Old 01-11-17, 02:46 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I smell another Get Smart. If they can't get the logo right what hope do they have?
Old 01-12-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched the trailer this morning. Schindlers List has more laughs in it that this piece of shit.

Written, directed and starring Dax Shepard. If that isn't a clear sign to anyone that this movie will be all kinds of crap then i don't know what is.

The jury is still out on Pena.

I mean seriously they do a CHiPS movie, and yet we still don't have an Airwolf movie.
Old 01-12-17, 07:12 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FKlbX-t9GLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-12-17, 07:16 AM

I guess Dax Shepard is turning into the action/comedy version of what Rob Zombie is to horror. They both clearly love the genres they work in, but have no idea how to successfully emulate it.

I'm going to hope this is a scenario where the trailer is cut to be more marketable, but the film isn't as generic as that.
Old 01-12-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

It doesn't look great, but it also doesn't look terrible. I like Michael Pena a lot, so I may just see this because of him.
Old 01-12-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I guess Dax Shepard is turning into the action/comedy version of what Rob Zombie is to horror. They both clearly love the genres they work in, but have no idea how to successfully emulate it.

I'm going to hope this is a scenario where the trailer is cut to be more marketable, but the film isn't as generic as that.
Shephard frames the film as an Action/Comedy, but the trailer is presenting it as pretty much a parody film. I get the same vibe I got from the "Starsky and Hutch" film.
Old 01-12-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I smell another Get Smart. If they can't get the logo right what hope do they have?
I liked Get Smart

Trailer looked ok, nothing amazing but nothing too bad either. After the Jump Street movies a lot of these show -> movie remakes look kind of plain.
Old 01-12-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Trump's Inauguration speech will probably be funnier.
Old 01-12-17, 01:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I watched the trailer this morning. Schindlers List has more laughs in it that this piece of shit.......
Old 01-12-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Little bit too much gay panic for my tastes. The Baywatch trailer looks much better for the same "raunchy update" idea.
Old 01-12-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

So "Ponch" is an alias for Pena's character?

Well that kind of sucks.

I did laugh at the "Francis Llewelyn Poncherello" part and him asking if the 1st 2 were female names.

Didn't need to see Dax's bulge.
Old 01-28-17, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Little bit too much gay panic for my tastes. The Baywatch trailer looks much better for the same "raunchy update" idea.
It's hard to gauge the quality of comedies based on their trailers.

Personally, I get the sense the Baywatch marketing is withholding stuff. Chips looks like it's showcasing the only kind of humor we'll be getting in the movie.
Old 01-29-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: CHiPS: The Movie - Written & Directed by Dax Shepard

I don't know what it is but for some reason they come off as one of the most annoying couples in Hollywood. I still think Dax Shepard was funny in Punk'd, but nothing after that.
Old 01-29-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Doesn't help they do those "cutesy" Samsung commercials.
Old 01-29-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I watched the trailer this morning. Schindlers List has more laughs in it that this piece of shit
Yep. I'm not sure I've ever actually hoped for a movie to bomb, but I hope this one does. The trailer is so devoid of humor, it's an offense to comedies. Shoot, it's an offense to the paper-thin legacy of the show it's spoofing.
Old 01-29-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant stand Dax Shepard.
Old 02-15-17, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Yep. I'm not sure I've ever actually hoped for a movie to bomb, but I hope this one does. The trailer is so devoid of humor, it's an offense to comedies. Shoot, it's an offense to the paper-thin legacy of the show it's spoofing.
Especially since aside from the character names and setting, this looks like it could just be some general motorcycle buddy cop comedy and it doesn't even have to be a CHiPs movie.
Old 03-02-17, 10:29 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D51n8cxcAZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-02-17, 11:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Kristen Bell in the pool...
Old 03-02-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Given the tone of the trailer and the more serious like Lethal Weapon talk before they started shooting, it doesn't sound like they had any idea how to make this movie.
Old 03-02-17, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Given the tone of the trailer and the more serious like Lethal Weapon talk before they started shooting, it doesn't sound like they had any idea how to make this movie.
He couldn't make a definitive Bad Boys style movie because he didn't have the budget for it.
Old 03-02-17, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
Kristen Bell in the pool...
Having kids did her body good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.