DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/622104-chips-movie-w-d-dax-shepard-s-shepard-pe%F1-donofrio.html)

DJariya 09-02-14 07:30 PM

CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has set Dax Shepard to write, direct and star in a screen version of CHiPS, that NBC series that ran from 1977 and 1983 and featured two officers who patrolled the highways of California armed with motorcycles and the tightest khaki cop uniforms in television history. Shepard will play Officer Jon Baker (played in the original by Larry Wilcox) while Michael Pena is attached to play Frank “Ponch” Poncherello, the role Erik Estrada originated. The Rick Rosner-created series ran from 1977-82.

dex14 09-02-14 07:53 PM

Re: CHiPS: The Movie - Written & Directed by Dax Shepard

I really like the idea of Pena as Ponch... I remember when they wanted Fez for the role.

I don't know about Dax... I hate him because of his relationship with Kristen Bell... but he's a decent choice for this material.

DJariya 09-02-14 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12219697)
I really like the idea of Pena as Ponch... I remember when they wanted Fez for the role.

I don't know about Dax... I hate him because of his relationship with Kristen Bell... but he's a decent choice for this material.

Another problem with Dax is he's so freaking ugly. Jon Baker was the handsome by the books CHP officer from what I recall. I watched CHiPs sporadically when it was in syndication and it had a fun watching it despite it being one of the cheesiest cop procedurals of that era.

TGM 09-02-14 08:03 PM

no.

My Other Self 09-02-14 08:06 PM

Sounds more up Lord & Miller's alley.

sauce07 09-02-14 09:00 PM

Hit & Run could've been much worse. I'm not against this.

Supermallet 09-02-14 09:40 PM

Everything about Dax Shepard is awful.

E Unit 09-02-14 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12219830)
Everything about Dax Shepard is awful.

But he gave us this fine performance in The Idiocracy.

https://montevallotimetravel.files.w...ssscracy_1.jpg

Jory 09-02-14 10:17 PM

Go away, 'batin.

mrhan 09-02-14 10:44 PM

Bring back Danny Bonaduce to kick Ponch, John and Worf's ass again and I'm in.

Double_Oh_7 09-02-14 10:45 PM

This sounds like a low-rent Starsky and Hutch.

Rob V 09-03-14 06:51 AM

Love CHiPs as a kid but hate Dax... what to do, what to do?

Solid Snake 09-03-14 11:41 AM

I don't know who Dax Shepard is.

Always good to see Peña in something.

Ash Ketchum 09-03-14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12220339)

Ditto.

No Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller, with Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada in cameo roles, no sale.

DJariya 09-03-14 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12220339)

Always good to see Peña in something.

http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uplo...-shepard-g.jpg

This is him. He's married to Kristen Bell, the chick who plays Veronica Mars.

He's also one of the stars of the NBC show Parenthood.

DJariya 09-03-14 10:19 PM

I just want to know if Michael Pena can pull off these classic moves like the original Poncherello

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nOhJCcT521E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake 09-04-14 11:34 AM

Disco. Goddamn Disco.

I'm pretty sure Peña can dance. Great moves in Observe and Report.

dex14 07-06-15 02:36 PM

We last head about Dax Shepard’s adaptation of CHiPs last September when he commented on the film by saying that it would be more serious than the original TV series, which ran from 1977-1983. However, we didn’t know when California Highway Patrol motorcycle cops Don Baker (Shepard) and Frank “Ponch” Poncherello (Michael Pena) would be hitting the road.

Steve recently spoke to Michael Peña for Ant-Man, and their conversation touched on CHiPs and the project’s status.

Pena said that the project was greenlit two or three weeks ago, which means he’s been preparing for the role:

I had to start learning how to ride a motorcycle, rehearsing, and then working out. I’ve been throwing up like every day after workouts. I like food, you know? And I also like reading, being on my iPad, no walks in the park; just chilling with my son. We just lounge and this [gestures to stomach] gets bigger.

Pena also revealed that the movie would be set in the present day, and reiterated Shepard’s earlier statement that the film would be in the vein of Lethal Weapon. Specifically, don’t expect a comedy that’s barraging you with jokes:

It’s more like a Lethal Weapon where there’s a lot of action and what we wanted to do is if there’s any comedy that we do, it’s not like one-liners here and there, like we’re the guys always being stand-up comedians. It’s almost like you lose a little bit of the plotline whenever you’re off doing your own comedy thing, so we’re focusing a little more on the plot, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Following up on his comment about how the movie will be “Lethal Weapon-ish”, he added that they’re going for an R-rating, which should be interesting. At the very least, it looks like they’re definitely avoiding the Starsky & Hutch approach.

Finally, Pena also noted that the film will co-star Vincent D’Onofrio and that they’re trying to get Kristen Bell (who’s married to Shepard) for a role, so it looks like they’re putting together a strong cast this adaptation. I have no feelings one way or the other about the CHiPs TV series, but I like these actors, and it sounds like they have a solid take on the material, so I’m excited to see what they do with it.
http://collider.com/chips-movie-r-ra...lethal-weapon/

Solid Snake 07-06-15 02:51 PM

Re: CHiPS: The Movie (W/D: Dax Shepard) S: Shepard, Peña, D’Onofrio

I'm watching this just for Peña. I don't care for Shepard. He hasn't made anything worth watching nor do I enjoy seeing him talk about BS.

Spiderbite 07-06-15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12221346)
I just want to know if Michael Pena can pull off these classic moves like the original Poncherello

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nOhJCcT521E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn. I love CHiPS! Such cheesy fun.

Ash Ketchum 07-06-15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12528382)

If they're serious about doing an R-rated LETHAL WEAPON-style cop thriller with these characters, that could work, as long as the studio doesn't dumb it down or add comedy relief or whatever. I still have no idea who Dax Shepard is.

Solid Snake 07-06-15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12528417)
If they're serious about doing an R-rated LETHAL WEAPON-style cop thriller with these characters, that could work, as long as the studio doesn't dumb it down or add comedy relief or whatever. I still have no idea who Dax Shepard is.

Apparently nobody really important but seems like a lot of guys know who he is here. I only know him cuz he has that name and is Kristen Bell's husband. He really isn't worth a fuck but... whatever.

VHS? 07-06-15 03:50 PM

He started out doing Ashtons 'Punk'd'

Shannon Nutt 07-06-15 04:36 PM

They should hire Taylor Kitsch to play a gay, closeted CHiPs officer. :)

iggystar 07-07-15 06:22 AM

I am shocked, SHOCKED that you don't remember Dax in his iconic role in Baby Mama!!! And you people call yourselves movie buffs.