Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I still think the connected universe is pretty much overrated. Most of the movies are more or less stand alone movies and while I do like Hulk popping up in a Thor movie it's not like there was an ongoing story about Hulk becoming a gladiator. The connected universe allows for team ups, but most of the connections aren't really that important. So while I do like the possibilty of a team up, It's not like the MCU told a connected story over all movies. I'm not even sure that all connections were planned or if they at some point looked back and said, this aspect from The First Avenger, Thor or Iron Man could be retroactively used. The illusion of a connection is the real achievement.

I'm perfectly fine if Batman never meets Superman or Wonder Women ever again. It's hard enough to tell a good Batman story over three movies, without having connections to other things.
The following 2 users liked this post by Runaway:
Abob Teff (12-15-22), Spiderbite (12-17-22)
Old 12-15-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I still think the connected universe is pretty much overrated. Most of the movies are more or less stand alone movies and while I do like Hulk popping up in a Thor movie it's not like there was an ongoing story about Hulk becoming a gladiator. The connected universe allows for team ups, but most of the connections aren't really that important. So while I do like the possibilty of a team up, It's not like the MCU told a connected story over all movies. I'm not even sure that all connections were planned or if they at some point looked back and said, this aspect from The First Avenger, Thor or Iron Man could be retroactively used. The illusion of a connection is the real achievement.

I'm perfectly fine if Batman never meets Superman or Wonder Women ever again. It's hard enough to tell a good Batman story over three movies, without having connections to other things.
I think people get upset when there are team ups or whatever and continuity is out of whack (and I am very guilty of that myself, having grown up with connected comic universes). Back in the day we'd laugh off those inconsistencies with something like the Marvel Bullpen no-prize. But if we're told the world doesn't know who WW is, I think sometimes it's hard for us to have the same actress be in a movie based in the past doing all of these flashy things, mainly because they kind of told us by casting the same person that it's connected. Some people take it a bit further and are like "where was Thor while so and so was trying to take over the world" but that's basic comic book logic so I don't care as much about that.

But yes, I said it before but a lot of DC's greatest stories are one offs, elseworlds, imaginary stories or otherwise unconnected. All Star Superman, DKR, Watchmen, Sandman, Long Halloween, Kingdom Come, the Golden Age, Jack Knight Starman, even stuff like Crisis and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? are basically "we can do what we want because the world is ending" and separated from the confines of strict continuity (but with nods here and there), writers and artists have done amazing things. And I don't think the audience would be all that confused besides us nerds. Joker was apparently a hit and has nothing to do with anything (as far as I know). But it seems like they're going to try (again) to replicate the Marvel way, so let's just hope they focus on the stories and characters and not trying to bank on some massive crossover too early like they did this time.

I mean I think Gunn thinks this way. You can see in Suicide Squad he just throws in characters like Mongul's daughter with no explanation, and both it and Peacemaker are basically tonally divorced from everything else. The JL shows up but besides the cameo really are basically just a concept that a Justice League exists. Heck, he throws in a random Legion of Super Heroes character in a side conversation just for fun.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-15-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 636 Likes on 490 Posts

So where is everyone getting the whole Clark Kent as reporter storyline from? All Gunn said is

In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill.

Unless this is a soft reboot (or a full reboot), that almost sounds like a Smallville movie. Especially when Gunn then states

But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.
Unless that is just PR fluff, it could mean they are keen on eventually returning to Civil after this "prequel" film? A possibility since Gunn also stated it won't be an origin story. Of course, if that's the plan, why not outright state just that.
Old 12-15-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,248 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I want to see Gunn announce that the new Superman he is writing will be a non-American black female transexual with the pronoun "they" and then watch the internet MELT.
... and to think, it was a sense of humor like that which led us to this point. Do it!

I like what Gunn has done in both the DC and Marvel worlds, but his announcement kind of shit in my Wheaties. You have been hired as the new studio head and the first thing you semi-officially put out there is that YOU are writing the next project. Not a good look.
Old 12-15-22, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
You have been hired as the new studio head and the first thing you semi-officially put out there is that YOU are writing the next project. Not a good look.
That doesn't bother me at all. Why hire a filmmaker like Gunn to run your film studio and guide its franchises if you don't want him to take a hands-on approach? Safran deals with the contracts and finances, while Gunn takes care of shaping the creative side of things. And what better way to get the ball rolling in their intended direction than to have Gunn write the first installment(s)?
Old 12-15-22, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

Looks like Cavill has his next job booked. His agent works fast.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...73e828aa12daf1
Old 12-15-22, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

That's his shit, too. He loves the Warhammer property.
Old 12-15-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
... and to think, it was a sense of humor like that which led us to this point. Do it!

I like what Gunn has done in both the DC and Marvel worlds, but his announcement kind of shit in my Wheaties. You have been hired as the new studio head and the first thing you semi-officially put out there is that YOU are writing the next project. Not a good look.
I had the same thought too. Gunn going into business for himself.
Old 12-15-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya

Nice. He's always ranting about that franchise. Hopefully in turns out better than the clusterfuck that is The Witcher.
Old 12-15-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I noticed The Rock has stopped talking about Black Adam since the reports came out that his team may have exaggerated the movie's profits. I think he deleted a post that talked about it. Now he's just talking about his new Netflix Christmas movie that he's filming. Guess there is also no reason for him to talk about it anymore since it's on HBO Max tomorrow and it appears the character is now dead in the new DCU.
Old 12-15-22, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Unless that is just PR fluff, it could mean they are keen on eventually returning to Civil after this "prequel" film? A possibility since Gunn also stated it won't be an origin story. Of course, if that's the plan, why not outright state just that.
It's PR fluff. Cavill won't come back as Superman. He might get another role, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 12-16-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,534 Posts

It's PR fluff. Cavill won't come back as Superman. He might get another role, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't think he comes back as "the" Superman because if that were the case, they could've saved a lot of nerd rage. But "a" Superman? Why not?
Old 12-16-22, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think he comes back as "the" Superman because if that were the case, they could've saved a lot of nerd rage. But "a" Superman? Why not?
Perhaps at one time, Michael Keaton returns as a Batman, but I don't think there is a plan for it, so for now it's friendly blabla.
Old 12-16-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, #fireJamesGunn is trending. How fast some people's feelings change these days
Old 12-16-22, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Received 1,071 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
There are one-off comic books and there are connected comic books. Can't both exist in movies too?
Sure, but there's a reason almost all of the most well-regarded superhero comics are essentially stand alone stories, even if they were in the regularly-numbered issues. There are also different expectations in film. I would say the "connectedness" works better for TV (though not their budgets) and it is MUCH more difficult to really nail down in film in general.

No film should just be an advert for the next movie. You can have a Batman movie in a world where Superman exists, but 1. the fact that they connect or will link up in the future should not be the main selling point, and 2. you should not be saving major story and character developments for "the big show". This idea of a mapped-out plan and franchise bible that people want... it's creatively stiffling. I'd rather have 3 WW84s instead of another Green Lantern or Black Adam. Post-credits scenes? Fine, throw in some easter eggs. But don't use the plot of your movie to set up the next movie.
Old 12-16-22, 10:10 AM
Administrator

The Dark Knight trilogy became useless the second Znyder was hired.
Except for the fact that it's still well-regarded 10-years later and was also used as a tonal blueprint for the DCEU
Old 12-16-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 538 Posts

Instead of the Marvel 'phases'.. I would hope that Gunn plays one long game to a conclusion. What I do like about what Marvel has done recently, is sprinkle tidbits throughout whatever tv shows, and the like, the existence of other heroes/groups/events. Like how we see Rogers: The Musical or people still coping with the aftermath of the blip. Maybe this can be done (or not), but we'll have to wait and see and I'm excited about DCEU's future. And like I said earlier, there are events that happened in the DC comics that cross over multiple titles that can easily address the films and heroes that don't exist in the Gunn universe down the road, just like Spider-Man: No Way Home did.
Old 12-16-22, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,139 Posts

People saying they don't care about a connected universe in the DCU or DCEU are doing it because DC has half-assed it. But trust me, the second DC gets on track and puts out great connected stuff with depth and consistency, they'll be praising it.
Old 12-16-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Sure, but there's a reason almost all of the most well-regarded superhero comics are essentially stand alone stories, even if they were in the regularly-numbered issues. There are also different expectations in film. I would say the "connectedness" works better for TV (though not their budgets) and it is MUCH more difficult to really nail down in film in general.

No film should just be an advert for the next movie. You can have a Batman movie in a world where Superman exists, but 1. the fact that they connect or will link up in the future should not be the main selling point, and 2. you should not be saving major story and character developments for "the big show". This idea of a mapped-out plan and franchise bible that people want... it's creatively stiffling. I'd rather have 3 WW84s instead of another Green Lantern or Black Adam. Post-credits scenes? Fine, throw in some easter eggs. But don't use the plot of your movie to set up the next movie.
I've never felt any of the MCU movies were JUST adverts for the next movie. They all have their own stories and even if they are interconnected, that's not what's driving the plot. Unless you're talking about something like Infinity War/Endgame which, of course, are all about the payoff of what has been set up.
Old 12-16-22, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Draven
I've never felt any of the MCU movies were JUST adverts for the next movie. They all have their own stories and even if they are interconnected, that's not what's driving the plot. Unless you're talking about something like Infinity War/Endgame which, of course, are all about the payoff of what has been set up.
I think they've gotten better about it for sure. I remember walking out of Ultron thinking, "OK, so that was just a pitstop before getting to Thanos?" Black Widow and Captain Marvel felt like excuses to introduce characters that they want to integrate later and The Dark World just seemed to exist to do placesetting. I also blame the marketing machine, and specifically Kevin Fiege. He's really pitched Marvel as "this movie and this one and this one are all leading up to this BIG movie!" Has he ever tried to convince us (outside of Wakanda Forever), "we're really looking forward to exploring these themes and ideas in this film"? And that's a genuine question, because I've not heard every convention speech he's given, but he certainly seems to always have the tone of "this is a new action figure for us to play with". Which is totally fine! But get's old when nearly every movie is hitting the same beats.
Old 12-16-22, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Instead of the Marvel 'phases'.. I would hope that Gunn plays one long game to a conclusion. What I do like about what Marvel has done recently, is sprinkle tidbits throughout whatever tv shows, and the like, the existence of other heroes/groups/events. Like how we see Rogers: The Musical or people still coping with the aftermath of the blip. Maybe this can be done (or not), but we'll have to wait and see and I'm excited about DCEU's future. And like I said earlier, there are events that happened in the DC comics that cross over multiple titles that can easily address the films and heroes that don't exist in the Gunn universe down the road, just like Spider-Man: No Way Home did.
I think DC should do "parallel connectedness". So rather than Superman 1, Green Lantern 1, and Wonder Woman 1 leading to/culminating in Justice League 1 (and etc for their sequels), let each character's and team's film series follow their own narratives. Superman vs. Brainiac->vs. Doomsday who was released from Brainiac's ship->vs. Lex Luthor who became a hero while Superman was dead (or whatever), not Superman vs. Brainiac->oh, Brainiac had a device that alerted Mongul to come to Earth and then Green Lantern's post-credits scene picked up Mongul's beacon, so they join forces and that's how the Justice League formed
Old 12-16-22, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Superman and Wonder Woman cameos cut from The Flash

When The Flash gets a physical media release down the road, I hope they include them in the deleted scenes. But I’m not counting on it. They might be permanently erased to never be seen ever.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
IBJoel (12-16-22), Why So Blu? (12-17-22)
Old 12-16-22, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts

I may just cut my theater ticket from it as well.
I am salty af about this whole situation going on right now with WB/DC.
The following users liked this post:
stingermck (12-16-22)
Old 12-16-22, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Fuuuck . At this point just wake me when the 1st new Gunn DC Films start rolling out in 2-3years

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-16-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I never understood having a main DCEU, then a separate "artsy-fartsy" offshoot with The Joker and The Batman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.