Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

So basically all of these social media posts from WB actors/directors the past few months are just about promoting themselves to try and save face and pressure the studio into keeping them. Never take any of these kinds of "announcements" as anything more than marketing.
Old 12-14-22, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, e

Originally Posted by Artman
So basically all of these social media posts from WB actors/directors the past few months are just about promoting themselves to try and save face and pressure the studio into keeping them. Never take any of these kinds of "announcements" as anything more than marketing.
If you read Cavill’s post, he said he was told by the studio to announce he was back. However that was before Gunn and Safran were officially hired. And he had not signed a contract yet. So it was premature to make that announcement.
Old 12-14-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This made me laugh
Old 12-14-22, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you read Cavill’s post, he said he was told by the studio to announce he was back. However that was before Gunn and Safran were officially hired. And he had not signed a contract yet. So it was premature to make that announcement.
In Kurt Russel's narration from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood "that's a fuckin lie!" All of the actors (and yes the apparently beloved director Patty) have only been posting to save face and leverage whatever they can to keep things rolling. We normally don't see this kind of behind the scenes bitching being front and center like this, but it is fascinating - and an important lesson for everyone to learn from.
Old 12-14-22, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Despite the rocky road the DCEU has been I'm still more of a DC guy. With Cavill and potentially Gadot out(and even Momoa to an extent), my interest is about the same as Marvel flicks now. i.e. non-existent. Oh well, maybe he can pull something off but I remain skeptical. If there's one thing the Snyderverse had going for it, it was casting. As mentioned previously, I think it was lightning in a bottle getting so many roles perfect. Catching that lighting in a bottle again is going to be next to impossible to pull off.
Old 12-14-22, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, if he's out as Superman then let him go back to Witcher. I figured that's why he left, to focus on Superman.
He left because he was the only one who gave a damn about the source material. Netflix would have to clean house and reboot to get him back.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (12-16-22)
Old 12-14-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it was lightning in a bottle getting so many roles perfect. Catching that lighting in a bottle again is going to be next to impossible to pull off.
In terms of star wattage and casting...maybe - at best. But these roles don't require that.
Old 12-14-22, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He left because he was the only one who gave a damn about the source material. Netflix would have to clean house and reboot to get him back.
Multiple people have refuted that story.
Old 12-14-22, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

This really fucking sucks.
Old 12-15-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
In Kurt Russel's narration from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood "that's a fuckin lie!" All of the actors (and yes the apparently beloved director Patty) have only been posting to save face and leverage whatever they can to keep things rolling. We normally don't see this kind of behind the scenes bitching being front and center like this, but it is fascinating - and an important lesson for everyone to learn from.
Why should it be a lie? He came back as Superman in Black Adam and shot a cameo for The Flash. Of course he was told he would return. Now Gunn and Safran have different plans.
DJariya (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Opens the door for him to be Bond.
stingermck (12-15-22)
Old 12-15-22, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Only reason I rented Black Adam was to see the Superman cameo because I was so excited Cavill was “officially” coming back as Superman.

Totally sucks.

Also not a fan of “younger reporter” vibe. Feels like all the Spider-Man reboots that get back to HS/young Peter stories.
PhantomStranger (12-16-22)
Old 12-15-22, 06:35 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Depending on how young they're looking to go, I'll throw David Corenswet's (currently 29) name in the ring for a pick.
Old 12-15-22, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I hope they announce their "plan" soon, otherwise sounds like more of the same unorganized nonsense. Are they just going to send Flash and Aquaman to HBO Max? This kind of kills box office when you know there's no reason to be excited (like Keaton returning for more than just Flash or Batfleck continuing on) about anything coming out since it's all getting replaced. Oh, so we're getting Superboy now (sounds like it from what Gunn described)?
Old 12-15-22, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I hope they announce their "plan" soon, otherwise sounds like more of the same unorganized nonsense. Are they just going to send Flash and Aquaman to HBO Max? This kind of kills box office when you know there's no reason to be excited (like Keaton returning for more than just Flash or Batfleck continuing on) about anything coming out since it's all getting replaced. Oh, so we're getting Superboy now (sounds like it from what Gunn described)?
Exactly. If the move is to streamline everything, then Shazam, Flash and Aquaman movies are useless now,
Old 12-15-22, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Right, there was this massive shift in regime and plans changed, I don't see it as these guys desperately clinging to their roles (except for maybe the Rock). And Cavill's post seems as far away from assistant-written PR as you can reasonably get.

So when is he auditioning for Captain Britain? Or Hyperion, that would be something, just get all of these guys (except for Ezra) for a Squadron Supreme movie (or the Shiar Imperial Guard).
Old 12-15-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I want to see Gunn announce that the new Superman he is writing will be a non-American black female transexual with the pronoun "they" and then watch the internet MELT.
Old 12-15-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I want to see Gunn announce that the new Superman he is writing will be a non-American black female transexual with the pronoun "they" and then watch the internet MELT.
That would certainly be one way to turn off the most factions of your fanbase at once.
Old 12-15-22, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Exactly. If the move is to streamline everything, then Shazam, Flash and Aquaman movies are useless now,
Wow, it's almost like films should... be created with passion and a purpose and should be able to be enjoyed without needing to fit into a corporate IP mill marketed under the guise of a "universe"
Old 12-15-22, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

I thought Cavill was really the only piece that clicked in these movies, but I am more than happy to abandon any and all things dealing with the "Snyderverse". Hopefully he comes back in a multiverse story
Old 12-15-22, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Wow, it's almost like films should... be created with passion and a purpose and should be able to be enjoyed without needing to fit into a corporate IP mill marketed under the guise of a "universe"
The Dark Knight trilogy became useless the second Znyder was hired.
Old 12-15-22, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Cavill was really the only piece that clicked in these movies, but I am more than happy to abandon any and all things dealing with the "Snyderverse". Hopefully he comes back in a multiverse story
Or have the DC reboot be wildly successful and in like 5 or 10 years get around to a Kingdom Come Elseworlds movie and bring them all (well, not Ezra) back.
Old 12-15-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Runaway
Why should it be a lie? He came back as Superman in Black Adam and shot a cameo for The Flash. Of course he was told he would return. Now Gunn and Safran have different plans.
Your right, I forgot this was back in September when he filmed his cameo. He still knew that nothing was certain and it depended on a number of factors.(box office being one) Anyways, I'm sure he'll be fine.

I think there's a chance The Batman 2 doesn't happen, and a very good chance if it does that it'll be the last one. With Joker 2 out in 2024 and The Batman 2 out in Spring 2025 (presumably) - they'll be free and clear to release the new Superman that summer.
Old 12-15-22, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although it's kind of weird that there will be a few more movies from before the new regime, it's still important. Even if they would start shooting a new Superman tomorrow, it probably wouldn't air next year. So they need some content to fill the void. It was clear there wouldn't be a sequel of The Flash, at least not with Ezra Miller. A return of Ben Affleck in a major role was unlikely. They could've used Reeves' Batman as part of the new universe, but it wouldn't have been their vision. Intersting to me is, if they retrofit their own DC projects in to the new plan. Aquaman 1 was by far the most successful DCEU movie
Shazam wasn't a giant hit, but due to its smaller budget it was successful, too. The Suicide Squad bombed, but the release was botched and everyone loves Peacemaker. Safran produced all of it and Gunn created two of those projects.
Old 12-15-22, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

There are one-off comic books and there are connected comic books. Can't both exist in movies too?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.