Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 11-20-22, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Challengers of the Unknown: The Movie -- led by Mr. Terrific, with The Atom, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Firestorm, Geo-Force, Red Tornado, Bumblebee, Tim Hunter, Red Robin/Tim Drake, and Dolphin.

Investigating scientific anomalies all over the DCU.

Fuck the movie. Make it an ongoing HBO Max show but firmly set in Gunn's DCU.

Old 11-20-22, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Love the team you've enviisioned but I'd also like some adventures set in the Golden Age. Or pull a The Godfather: Part II but have the timeline hoping converge in one major storyline. Like mystery the GA team couldn't solve (or assumed was solved) that necessitates the MA team to retrace their predecessors' steps. Maybe get someone like James Rollins to write the story.

On a slightly different subject, what's up with Ted Kord in the Blue Beetle movie? Did they seriously re-imagine him as some villainous woman, or is Victoria Kord a new addition to the comics? Cos I can't find anything on her.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-22-22 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 06:15 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Would be cool if the cut did eventually see the light of day.

Old 11-22-22, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although not as heavily supported as the Snyder Cut, the Ayer Cut has amassed quite a following. What has leaked so far is interesting and I do look forward to seeing Mayer's true vision see the light of day.
Old 11-22-22, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Part of me wonders how different the Ayer Cut actually is. I’m sure it is different but I kind of feel like it wouldn’t be as vastly different as the Snyder Cut and might be more or less the same film just edited differently. Maybe I’m wrong though.
Old 11-22-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Part of me wonders how different the Ayer Cut actually is. I’m sure it is different but I kind of feel like it wouldn’t be as vastly different as the Snyder Cut and might be more or less the same film just edited differently. Maybe I’m wrong though.
Here's how different it's supposed to be:

Spoiler:

Differences from Suicide Squad

The differences aren't anywhere near as extensive as those between Justice League and Zack Snyder's Justice League, mostly impacting the tone and feel rather than the events. Some of the known differences are:
  • The music would have been entirely score-based - no "radio songs."[9]
  • The first scene is June Moone discovering and releasing Enchantress in a jungle location. The next scene is an extended assault on Arkham Asylum by Joker's crew then he electroshocks Harley. There was more to the club and an argument between Harley and Joker in his car.[10]
    • June Moone's discovery of the Enchantress would have been more fleshed out.
  • The story of Joker's damaged teeth and "Damaged" tattoo would have been explained; Batman would have beaten Joker in response to the murder of Robin, breaking his teeth, and Joker would have gotten the tattoo as a reminder to Batman of the time he lost control.
  • Members of Joker's gang who are not present in the theatrical cut would likely have appeared, including Eyeball Man and Crying Baby Man who showed up in the first trailer; Muscle Man, and a man wearing a light-colored burka. Some are mentioned in the novelization, but all were present during filming and can be seen in behind the scenes videos.
  • Monster T would have killed himself for offending Joker - the easy way out.
  • The scene where Batman chased down Harley and the Joker would have been longer.
  • Harley would not have been listed as an accomplice in Robin's murder, correcting a timeline issue.
  • A scene detailing Slipknot's arrest would have been shown. Wonder Woman was rumored to be the one who captured him in current canon, but she does not make an appearance in Ayer's cut.[12]
  • Griggs' intimidation scene would have been longer, including Joker fondling Griggs' chest and kissing him.
  • There would be a scene involving Joker waiting for a government employee, Judge Witman, in his bed in order to get Van Criss Laboratories' name, as they would be able to disable the nano-bomb in Harley's neck.
  • Rick Flag and June Moone's relationship would have been developed further.
  • Amanda Waller would have released Enchantress intentionally to test her powers, rather than Enchantress escaping on her own.
  • Killer Croc would have started a conversation with Deadshot about doing some jobs later in Gotham City, revealing that he had secretly contracted Deadshot to deliver an important man's heart in the past.
  • Harley and Deadshot would have hooked up during the mission.
  • Enchantress' magical powers seem to be more colorful.
  • Katana would have been taken over by Enchantress during the final battle, then turned on the squad. This was shown in the trailers, with Katana's eyes going black and a magic cord tethering her to Enchantress' control as she slashes at Harley.
    • Killer Croc would follow suit, being turned by Enchantress.
  • Joker would have been present during the final battle.
    • He was to make a deal with Enchantress wherein she would make him King of Gotham. Joker would plan to march on Gotham with Enchantress' army, then make Batman his vice president.
    • Amanda Waller would have been strung up in the room of the final battle, and Joker would have entered with her detonator.[13]
    • He would fight alongside Enchantress and Harley would have to face him.
  • Diablo would have survived the final battle.
  • Joker breaking Harley out at the conclusion of the film would have included more antagonistic behavior from the Joker, with David Ayer posting a picture of Joker screaming in Harley's face on his Instagram profile. Joker would have pointed his gun at her.

Harley and Deadshot hook up

Eyeball Man, a character present in neither the theatrical nor extended cut

Crying Baby Man, a character present in neither the theatrical nor extended cut

Enchantress using her magic

The Joker after surviving the helicopter crash

Joker holding a gun to Harley

Katana is taken over by Enchantress

Harley Quinn in her wedding dress

An early version of the script, as well as concept art, also had Enchantress' strings pulled by Steppenwolf, the former turning humans into parademons instead of Eyes of the Adversary, but this was removed before filming began as the stories of Suicide Squad and Justice League fell into place, and so would not appear in Ayer's version.[14]

Ayer stated on Twitter that the first 40 minutes of the film were left on the cutting room floor (though he probably didn't literally mean every second of those 40 minutes).[15]
​​​​​​

Old 11-25-22, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

SS's biggest problem was the villain, so unless they change that the movie is still going to fall flat no matter what the other changes are.
Old 11-25-22, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 397 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
SS's biggest problem was the villain
This is one of this instances where less isn't more.
Old 11-25-22, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
SS's biggest problem was the villain, so unless they change that the movie is still going to fall flat no matter what the other changes are.
I remember Ayer stating that he considers Waller the main villain of his cut. Personally, I wish they'd stuck to Steppenwolf pulling the strings. I t would have helped things feel a bit cohesive.

Today I finished watching all the DCEU films I own on home video (I never got JL '17 and BA isn't out on disc yet). As a whole, the DCEU is as disconnected as Phase 4 of the MCU. Sure they exist in the same universe and make occasional references to each other and past events, but they may as well all be as disconnected as Joker and The Batman. And what's up with use of real DC merchandise and comics in Shazam! and Black Adam? It was cute in the former but the joke feels worn and out of place in the latter. At the very least, they should have pulled a Logan and made fake comic books that would be inspired by the in movie super heroes.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-01-22)
Old 11-26-22, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I remember Ayer stating that he considers Waller the main villain of his cut. Personally, I wish they'd stuck to Steppenwolf pulling the strings. I t would have helped things feel a bit cohesive.
Now that does sound interesting and now my interest is piqued. As it stands though SS sets up a world destroying villain akin to Thanos and the choice is to pull together the shittest band of b-characters and nutjobs to handle it? In a world where they know Superman and Batman exist, it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to not rely on them. Hell, Batman is even in the movie, fire up the fucking Bat-signal. The entire premise collapses under the weight of it's own absurdity. If they just scaled back the villain and stakes of the mission, I don't think the movie would have been as eye-rollingly bad as it currently is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
IBJoel (12-05-22), John Pannozzi (12-01-22)
Old 11-26-22, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Suicide Squad should be an asset Waller has to her disposal, for jobs superheroes with morals wouldn't do. In my opinion both movies failed in that regard, although Gunn's movie was a lot of fun.
Michael Corvin (11-26-22)
Old 11-26-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
The Suicide Squad should be an asset Waller has to her disposal, for jobs superheroes with morals wouldn't do. In my opinion both movies failed in that regard, although Gunn's movie was a lot of fun.
I would say with The Suicide Squad it fit the purpose of Task Force X, because it was a mission she didn’t want the world knowing about the US’s connection to. If she sent in Superman he would have exposed the details behind it all, whereas “heroes” with bomb in their brains aren’t likely to rock the boat.
Old 12-03-22, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Old 12-08-22, 12:48 PM

Old 12-08-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Thats how the DCEU shouldve been handled from the very beginning. 👏👏👏👏

Looking forward to the future.

Old 12-08-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Cavill and Gadot better not be out.
Michael Corvin (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They have a difficult way ahead of them. Starting from scratch isn't a real option. Aquaman and The Flash are coming and have spawned in the Snyderverse. I'd be surprised if they scratch Wonder Woman III, even if they didn't like Jenkins' treatment. Henry Cavill is coming back and Black Adam is out there and Shazam II on the starting block. The Batman is a success, the Penguin show still a go and everybody loved Peacemaker, while Blue Beetle is being shot.
So whatever they are planing, it's not happening in a vacuum.
Old 12-08-22, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

As usual, people... MANY SO CALLED DC "FANS" in particular...are so ready to see DC Fall under the new Leadership. They jump ahead of themselves with bullshit half info and "insider" horseshit. I'm so glad Gunn is setting the narrative straight.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
bchbdaddy (12-09-22), DJariya (12-08-22), RocShemp (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Cavill and Gadot better not be out.
Why not? Both were good in their respective roles but neither felt iconic or irreplaceable.

As we have seen with other well-known comic book characters over the years, with both Marvel and DC, good actors can jump in and out as long as they are cast and written well.

I look forward to a complete shakeup and hope that both are out. Nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.
Old 12-08-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I can see there being a better or at least comparable Wonder Woman, but Cavill IS Superman.
Old 12-08-22, 05:51 PM

Yesterday’s DC chaos about the unplugging of Patty Jenkins’ version of Wonder Woman 3 coupled with rampant rumors of the studio’s new co-heads James Gunn and Peter Safran turning the comic book label upside down sans a Henry Cavill Man of Steel 2 and possible re-casting of many current big superhero roles has left the town with a bad case of PTSD.

The lack of communication to talent reps and content creators by the studio about what’s next in the DC empire, as Gunn and Safran map it out, has brought back bad flashbacks of when former WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar surprised and alienated Hollywood with his project popcorn theatrical day-and-date plan, and even Disney CEO Bob Chapek’s war with Scarlett Johansson over Black Widow.

“This is creating a riot,” says one content maker connected to DC fare about the level of silence they’ve received on the fate of their DC projects going forward, “And it’s a horrible optic. This business is based on relationships.”

When it comes to the rumors out there that core DC superhero castmembers Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), Jason Momoa (Aquaman), and Henry Cavill (Superman) may be recast as the Gunn-Safran administration creates a synergistic plan for the DC brand across all mediums, our source says, “These franchises which already make a lot of money, why stop them? How can a studio that’s bearing so much debt afford to start from scratch? There are scripts and actors’ schedules to be figured out.”

Those three actors including Black Adam‘s Dwayne Johnson are repped by WME, and a complete turnover of DC stars by Warners would put them in check to a big agency. No one is getting ready to go to war ala CAA/Disney with Johansson. Despite everyone currently playing nice, an anxiousness lurks. On the other hand, we hear that WME-repped Flash director Andy Muschietti and Indiana Jones director James Mangold are excited to do business with the Gunn-Safran led studio.

Gunn sought to ease agita today in a multi-Twitter post acknowledging “the fractious environment” he and Safran are walking into, and that “there would be an unavoidable transitional period as we moved into telling a cohesive story across film, TV, animation, and gaming.”

While it’s an understatement to say change is never easy, the arrival of Gunn and Safran to DC is akin to any major boss taking over a studio, or a football coach taking over a team. They’re going to bring their own vision and more likely then not, history will be re-written. Give the guys some credit: They’re setting out to make a more cohesive franchise like Marvel.

“We know we are not going to make every single person happy every step of the way, but we can promise everything we do is done in the service of the STORY & in the service of the DC CHARACTERS we know you cherish and we have cherished our whole lives,” the Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad franchise filmmaker added in his tweet.

Now, Gunn and Safran are aiming not to have a Kilar situation on their hands in regards to talent relations and hope to apprise reps of their DC plans before the holiday soon after they sit down with Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav.

There’s a lot of hot air out there, so here’s what’s known at this point:

Wonder Woman 3 According to those in the know, it was Patty Jenkins who walked away after receiving notes on the treatment she submitted to the studio. Apparently her threequel pitch had character arc problems which rivaled that of Wonder Woman 1984, which despite being impacted at the box office for the worst by closed NYC and LA theaters during Covid and a studio HBO Max day-and-date plan, was panned by critics at 58% Rotten and not a rave with fans with a B+ Cinemascore despite the first one getting an A. One rival studio executive observed the potential problem in the current DC set-up of having a filmmaker like Gunn providing notes to an established filmmaker like Jenkins, however, we hear that Warner Bros. Motion Picture chiefs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy had concerns about the treatment before Safran and Gunn weighed in. The group provided notes. Jenkins fought back and defended her vision that the threequel’s character arcs were solid. Jenkins was given the opportunity for another pass, but opted to walk. While the optics of Wonder Woman 3 not going forward post the killing of Batgirl provides bad optics for the studio, it was never anyone’s intention to be sexist. The hope for another Wonder Woman exists. The question is whether Gadot wants to make it sans Jenkins, and judging from the actress’ tweet two days’ before the explosive DC news, it sounds like the actress wants to stay aboard. Combined, the Wonder Woman movies grossed $992.4M, the first dynamiting female moviegoers to the DC universe. Why wouldn’t the current DC administration not want to make more Wonder Woman?

Man of Steel 2 and the whole Henry Cavill of it. Before Gunn and Safran even arrived, it was De Luca and Abdy’s decision with Johnson, sources tell us, to put Cavill’s Superman at the end of Black Adam to give the dark movie an uplifting, exciting cliffhanger. No regrets there. Cavill is managed by Dany Garcia, who also reps former spouse Johnson. There had been some championing for some time by Cavill’s team for the actor to return as the Man of the Steel, a role he took on in the Zack Synder directed 2013 version ($668M WW) and continued in 2016’s Batman v Superman ($873M WW) and 2017’s Justice League ($657.9M). Cavill, I hear, took it upon himself to announce his return as the Man of Steel on Instagram on Oct. 24, the day before Safran and Gunn were named as heads of DC. De Luca and Abdy before the duo’s arrival heard a pitch from Man of Steel producer Charles Roven and a writer. They didn’t like it and wanted to wait for Safran and Gunn’s plan to come into place. Hence, Man of Steel 2 was never greenlit, didn’t have a director nor was it packaged. Capisce? Man of Steel 2 remains an open slot until the studio hears a better pitch.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday stretch, Johnson revealed in a video post that he “fought hard” with Warners to bring Cavill back. Johnson said Warners “inexplicably and inexcusably” did not want to bring back Cavill but he was not going to take no for an answer and his team got to work.

“This has been years in the making regarding bringing Henry Cavill back and years of strategic conversations and we were not going to take no for an answer,” Johnson said. “There was no way, there’s no viable logical way that you can attempt to build out the DC Universe without the most powerful force and the greatest superhero of all time sitting on the sidelines. It’s impossible to do.”

But, wait, what about that Flash ending with Cavill? Yes, Cavill shot it, there’s something involving Clark Kent with additional cameos by Supergirl, Aquaman, Wonder Woman in the film. However, the studio right now is sitting on these options until they confer with Safran and Gunn. It remains whether the duo want to do another Ezra Miller led Flash and if they do another Flash, how they’ll tee that up. Miller has been ablaze in the tabloids for a number of run-ins throughout the year, the actor currently battling a liquor burglary theft charge in Vermont. The actor made a public apology for their actions.
Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam
Warner Bros/Courtesy Everett Collection

And Black Adam 2? It’s been radio silence from Warner Bros. to the pic’s team about whether there is a sequel to the Johnson led franchise. However Warner brass and Johnson are elated that the pic stands to make a profit north of $50M despite false media reports. Warners would be keen to keep an asset like Johnson with a half billion social media followers in the fold, the People’s Champion having made several hit movies with New Line including San Andreas, Rampage, and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Will there be a complete reboot of DC’s core stars? One studio insider tells us, “At no point was there any pre-conceived notions of not continuing with these actors. It all boils down to how The Flash (June 16) and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25) do at the box office.” Not to mention, the studio doesn’t want Gadot to hang up Wonder Woman’s belt.

And Jason Momoa as Lobo? This is mere fan speculation at the time given how the actor looks like the anti-hero. Momoa and Gunn are friends given how the former made a cameo as Aquaman in the latter’s Suicide Squad spinoff HBO Max series The Peacemaker.
https://deadline.com/2022/12/dc-wond...eel-1235193778
Old 12-08-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The box office disappointment for Black Adam seems to have cooled the fervor for Cavill's return inside WB. I wonder if that wasn't just some last-ditch marketing for Black Adam by the studio as a publicity stunt.

I could see them dumping Gadot if things don't line up correctly. She'll probably get another movie but who knows. I believe Gunn has pitched DC projects focusing on B-listers for the foreseeable future outside of Batman. Those are smaller investments by the studio and even if they fail, will not get executives fired. I imagine everyone is in CYA mode.
Old 12-08-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
As usual, people... MANY SO CALLED DC "FANS" in particular...are so ready to see DC Fall under the new Leadership. They jump ahead of themselves with bullshit half info and "insider" horseshit. I'm so glad Gunn is setting the narrative straight.

Old 12-08-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

They really thought 5 seconds of Cavill's Superman was the main marketing point for Black Adam. I mean, seriously...
Old 12-08-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wonder if that wasn't just some last-ditch marketing for Black Adam by the studio as a publicity stunt.
Yes - folks, we need to stop taking actors social media posts as official announcements - it's just marketing and promotion for themselves. I liked the DC casting, but they are all easily replaceable. Let Reeve's Batman and Joker 2 play out, but clean house for everything else.
Spiderbite (12-08-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.