Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agreed, Cavill is not the problem.
Double agree.
Old 12-14-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The problem is that Cavill isn't getting any younger and DC wants a several-films commitment. I think if they find a young Christopher Reeve somewhere (cloning?), Warner drops Cavill.
Old 12-14-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm sure someone at the creative end of DC realizes they have a tremendous ace in the hole (worth a little less if Avengers Endgame goes their first) and that is ...the idea of infinite earths.

I realize they are teasing this with the Arrowverse on the CW, but it's absolutely something that could, and probably should, come into play with the theatrical features at some point.

The bottom line is that it would allow them to softly/partially reboot properties that aren't working, while still maintaining creative directions and on camera talent for properties that are- all while still existing more or less in the same universe.
Old 12-14-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I'm sure someone at the creative end of DC realizes they have a tremendous ace in the hole (worth a little less if Avengers Endgame goes their first) and that is ...the idea of infinite earths.

I realize they are teasing this with the Arrowverse on the CW, but it's absolutely something that could, and probably should, come into play with the theatrical features at some point.

The bottom line is that it would allow them to softly/partially reboot properties that aren't working, while still maintaining creative directions and on camera talent for properties that are- all while still existing more or less in the same universe.
I’d really they not do any “Infinite Earths” or multiple timelines dimensions thing. That will just convolute the idea of a shared universe, and it’s something they’ll be too tempted to constantly fall back on every time something doesn’t work out.

Ditto for Marvel. I really hope Avengers Endgame doesn’t do some kind of time travel reboot, either. If they want to bring back the characters who died in Infinity War, I’m cool with that, but I hope it doesn’t reboot the entire timeline to justify things like replacement actors or bringing in X-Men and Fantastic Four.
Old 12-14-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The problem is that Cavill isn't getting any younger and DC wants a several-films commitment. I think if they find a young Christopher Reeve somewhere (cloning?), Warner drops Cavill.
Yeah, he isn’tbgetting any younger. Neither is Affleck.

Which is why Warner Brothers needs to pull its thumb out of its ass and start getting these fucking movies into development.
Old 12-14-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think Cavill is old enough to be a problem yet.
Old 12-15-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

I think that was the initial plan with the planned Flash movie. It was originally titled Flashpoint in early development. They were going to reboot certain characters in a seemingly natural way.

Then they laid a giant egg with Justice League and their entire shared universe plans went up in smoke.
Old 12-15-18, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I agree, I don't see anything more than "one-offs" for the foreseeable future, with an occasional cameo.
If they can pump out shit like Suicide Squad and still make bank overseas they'll keep doing it.

The proposed New Gods movie looks interesting (if it ever happens).
Old 03-01-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Throwing up the white flag on the connected universe.

It’s official, the DCEU is dead, with Warner Bros’ chief Kevin Tsujihara confirming the studio has moved away from the idea of a connected universe for its DC superhero properties – otherwise known as the DC Extended Universe.“The universe isn’t as connected as we thought it was going to be five years ago,” Tsujihara told The LA Times. “You’re seeing much more focus on individual experiences around individual characters. That’s not to say we won’t at some point come back to that notion of a more connected universe. But it feels like that’s the right strategy for us right now.”And who’s responsible for the death of the interconnected DCEU? Wonder Woman.“What Patty Jenkins did on Wonder Woman illustrated to us what you could do with these characters who are not Batman and Superman. Obviously, we want to get those two in the right place, and we want strong movies around Batman and Superman. But Aquaman is a perfect example of what we can do. They’re each unique and the tone’s different in each movie.”
Old 03-01-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

So basically they're doing what they should have done from the beginning. Giving these stand alone films room to breathe like the MCU.
Old 03-01-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Well I’m glad that they’ve made a decision on a direction to take the films going forward. Part of me still wishes that they could make an extended universe work, but it just hasn’t been working thus far.
Old 03-02-19, 04:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That doesn’t mean they aren’t connected, just they won’t try to shoehorn everything at once. Aquaman acknowledged the events of JL, Wonder Woman takes place in the past, so no need to connect there.
Old 03-02-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Building it up like Marvel did is the way to go imo, but ditching the idea completely isn't what I hoped for. Wish they'd still at least make them in a way that acknowledges each other as canon so they can eventually try bringing them together again in the future without retconning things.
Old 03-03-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby
Building it up like Marvel did is the way to go imo, but ditching the idea completely isn't what I hoped for. Wish they'd still at least make them in a way that acknowledges each other as canon so they can eventually try bringing them together again in the future without retconning things.
I feel the same way, but let's face the fact that they are never going to get a universe working as one correctly until the board gives up creative control to one person/group who understands the material. So far they have been reluctant to do so.
Old 03-03-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It’s really not in Warners’ corporate character to pull that off. It seems like they hand off properties to directors and producers to develop regardless of whether or not they have a feel for the material, and then maintain their distance. Sometimes you’ll get a Nolan Dark Knight, and other times you’ll get John Peters sitting on Superman for a decade trying to squeeze Nicolas Cage into blue spandex or Halle Berry playing basketball.
Old 03-03-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fans got spoiled by Christopher Nolan's excellence. For the most part, Warner has always been a horror show when it came to developing their superhero properties. I'm glad they aren't following Disney's Marvel formula, but each movie from Warner is a crapshoot. They got greedy when they saw how much the first Avengers made. Snyder doing a wonderful Watchmen adaptation didn't mean he was the right choice to shepherd the entire DC universe.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 03-04-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 01:03 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

RUMOR:

Warner Bros. Rebooting The Entire DCEU Into Two Separate Universes

Following the failure of Justice League, it’s been obvious that Warner Bros. is trying to sweep the past of the DCEU under the rug, with recent movies like Aquaman and Shazam! referencing other heroes but not featuring any proper crossovers. In the near future, though, things will start to break away from established canon completely, with The Batman said to take place in its own universe.

And this could just be the start of some major reshaping of the shared franchise going forward. We Got This Covered has been told that WB is working on rebooting the entire DCEU. Essentially, there will be two separate universes from now on. First, we’ll have the franchises that have already begun and therefore are part of the DCEU. So that’d be Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey etc. From what we understand, though, there won’t be much connectivity anymore between sequels in these franchises and the early DCEU films.

Any new properties, meanwhile, without ties to what’s come before, will take place in an all-new continuity. It sounds like this approach will be kicked off with The Batman, with our source also telling us that the Supergirl movie will be set in this same world. As previously reported, that film will sow the seeds for a new Superman to arrive later down the line by rebooting the Kryptonian mythology.

We’ve also been informed that the two universes could be merged together one day, but this isn’t something the studio is actively looking to do at the moment. If we had to guess, it sounds like WB is still leaving the door open for a Flashpoint-type event at some point, after the Ezra Miller-led Flash film seems to have grounded to a halt. At present, though, the aim appears to be to get as far away from the bad press of the DCEU‘s early years as possible.

As for this October’s Joker, that’ll be yet another separate entity, not related to either of the new cinematic universes. If it all sounds a little confusing, that’s because it is, but if one thing’s for certain, it’s that it’ll be fascinating to see how this all works out.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...g-entire-dceu/
Old 06-03-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 99% convinced WB is always behind their own rumors to see what the reaction would be.

They should just redo the DCEU and have occasional side projects, such as Joker, from time to time.
Old 06-20-19, 07:48 AM

RUMOR:

Now that James Gunn has been secured as both writer and director for The Suicide Squad, it appears as though Warner Bros. are trying their best to lock him down for other DC-based projects. Believe it or not, our source is telling us that he’s being eyed for a Justice League reboot.

At the moment, here’s the team lineup being considered: Superman, Batman, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Black Canary, Aquaman, Flash and Green Lantern. As you can see, some heroes are retained from the 2017 flick, but with some new additions. I don’t often associate Batgirl with the team, though it could be said the studio’s trying to diversify the lineup. Green Lantern, meanwhile, is long overdue.

Of course, the challenge presented is how to accomplish getting this reboot off the ground with DC films branching in so many different directions lately. Jason Momoa’s Aquaman and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman are both proven successes, and survived the original attempt at a DC cinematic universe. One would think teaming them up with Robert Pattinson’s Batman and other newcomers may confuse moviegoers, but it’s not up to us to deal with logistics.

When it comes to the villain, nothing’s been confirmed on that front, but our source is hearing that it’ll be Darkseid. Being a huge fan of the Lord of Apokolips myself, I’d wholeheartedly support his inclusion.

Getting back to Gunn’s attachment to the project, we’ve been told he’s sought to oversee the pic and may direct it as well. It’s fair to assume that his Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 shooting schedule could factor into his availability, but WB do want this to happen and it’s currently being discussed behind closed doors.

Naturally, this news could – and will likely – be met with denials by Gunn himself, but it’s not like anyone can publicly talk about the Justice League reboot at this point in time, so that’s to be expected. Regardless, our source remains confident in their intel.

Don’t forget, they’re the same person who was whispering in our ear when we reported on Wonder Woman wearing her Golden Eagle armor in the upcoming sequel, Robert Pattinson being confirmed as the next Dark Knight and both the Riddler and Two-Face appearing in The Batman, before anyone else broke those stories. That said, we could hear much more on this front before long. Stay tuned.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...gue-reboot-wb/
Old 06-20-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Huh...ok.
Old 06-20-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

This makes my head hurt. Maybe WB is looking at Sony instead of Marvel/Disney and said.. "If they can make 3 versions of Spider-man and still make money, so can we...."

I can't see a JL reboot working yet. They've established certain things and can't just ignore others. If anything, they need to go back and find a way to correct the mess without creating 2 universes and I'm not sure how you do that without CoIE being that catalyst. Or they start with a LoSH movie that goes back in time to redo the DCEU. I'm not as familiar with DC comic events that can help to reboot the DCEU in a way that makes sense.
Old 06-23-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

We got this covered with some fresh rumors:

Warner Bros. Eyeing Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley For Batgirl and Hailee Steinfeld as Supergirl
Personally I'd rather see Hailee as Batgirl, but she would be great in any franchise.
Old 06-24-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

agree Hailee as Batgirl feels right
Old 06-24-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, I can see Hailee as Batgirl more than I can see Daisy.
Old 06-24-19, 12:30 PM

Hailee does have the look of Batgirl, but her personality seems way more inline with Supergirl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.