Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Justice League Dark: Bad Robot Developing Film & TV Projects Based On Warner Bros. DC Comics

EXCLUSIVE: I hear that Bad Robot, through its new deal at Warner Media, is exclusively developing both film and TV ideas based on DC’s Justice League Dark universe at Warner Bros.

This deal is all very nascent and at this point in time there aren’t any specific projects or characters that are being specifically developed out of the franchise. I understand that Bad Robot’s Head of Motion Pictures Hannah Minghella and Head of Television Ben Stephenson will soon be taking meetings with talent reps and their writing clients on which characters will get their own projects.

Again, this is all so early, so it’s not specific yet if Bad Robot boss J.J. Abrams will be directing any of these projects. Minghella on the feature side will work with Warner Bros. President of DC-based Film Production Walter Hamada, while Stephenson will work in correlation with the Warner Bros. Television Group including President & Chief Content Officer Peter Roth, President Susan Rovner and President Brett Paul.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/justice...nt-1202837412/
Old 07-06-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Report: J.J. Abrams Producing a New ‘CONSTANTINE’ Film

A new report from DCU Direct indicates that J.J. Abrams will produce a new live-action Constantine film for Warner Bros. to debut on HBO Max. This report comes on the heels of rumors of the studio developing a Zatanna solo film. As these reports continue to come in, it appears that Warner Bros. plans to use HBO Max to build the roster of Justice League Dark through standalone films before assembling the team in the announced streaming series.
https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/re...stantine-film/
Old 12-27-20, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part of a profile on Walter Hamada from the NYT:

The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.

It means that some characters (Wonder Woman as portrayed by Ms. Gadot, for instance) will continue their adventures on Earth 1, while new incarnations (Mr. Pattinson as “The Batman”) will populate Earth 2.

“The Flash,” a film set for release in theaters in 2022, will link the two universes and feature two Batmans, with Mr. Affleck returning as one and Michael Keaton returning as the other. Mr. Keaton played Batman in 1989 and 1992.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/b...es-movies.html
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Works for me. I'm down for more Batfleck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
TheMovieman (12-28-20), Why So Blu? (12-30-20)
Old 12-28-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm not a fan of the the multiverses taking over in "Spider-Man 3" and "The Flash." It's dead-end storytelling that gets old real fast. "Spider-Verse" was great, but the novelty of "oo look at this alternate version of that character over there" is pretty stale stuff IMHO.
Old 12-28-20, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of multiverse meetings becoming common. They work in the comics because each character has decades of continuity and history. You just don't get that with movie characters.
Old 12-28-20, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Thirded. I'd rather the cinematic universes become mired down with "multiverses."

That shit gets really messy and really old fast. The MCU and DCEU (if it even exists at this point) really don't need all of these complications.

Even Star Trek is starting to go this way with all of the characters crossing over from the "Mirror Universe" in Star Trek Discovery, and they're hinting at characters crossing over from the "Kelvin Timeline" in that series, too.

I think that there's a big temptation to bring everything together in one big happy multiverse in these decades old franchises, but I don't think it's a good idea to try to canonize everything under one big umbrella.

I don't think the MCU is well-served by trying to include the Maguire Spider-Man and the Garfield Spider-Man in the same continuity as the Holland Spider-Man. Or DC trying to include all of the movie incarnations of Batman in the same multiversal continuity.

Yeah, they do that shit in comic books all of the time, and, particularly in the case of DC, it's always a big fucking mess that eventually leads to things Crisis on Infinite Earths and Zero Hour every decade. Or with Marvel, there's that Secret Wars/Battlworld, or the huge mess that the X-Men and all of their alternate futures and pasts has created.

Multiverses are the genre tar-baby that, once created, can't be escaped from. Once you're stuck to it, it just gets worse and worse. Even moreso than time travel -- and look at what the Terminator franchise became in only six movies!
Old 12-28-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm okay with it.
Old 12-28-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’m mixed on the multiverse idea. The idea of Keaton coming back is really cool to me. I don’t want to see it being an overused plot device. I feel like that’s already bound to happen.
Old 12-28-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Warner bros saying they are introducing the multi verse in DC movies is just a cover cause they have no plan. Just like the comics division.
Old 12-28-20, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

You guys are straight wrong. Keaton Batman meeting Affleck Batman? Every movie Spider-Man having a team-up?

Give me that over 20 films of build up any day.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (12-28-20)
Old 12-29-20, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Warner bros saying they are introducing the multi verse in DC movies is just a cover cause they have no plan. Just like the comics division.
This is the main problem I have and have basically had since the beginning with the DC films in particular. At least now it seems like they’re kind of admitting as much that there isn’t a definitive plan. A shitty movie is made? It was part of the multiverse and doesn’t really matter.

There are some interesting things that can come about from multiverse elements being introduced, but it also opens the door to be a bit more lazy or not putting forth the best effort into a project because it may or may not end up mattering.

I also think there’s a lot of potential for the idea to be overused quickly. Already it’s happening in The Flash, Spider-Man 3, and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Granted that’s a DC film and two Marvel films, but in general I feel like once that can of worms is open films are going to keep going back to that same well.
Old 12-29-20, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

It's just going back to the well again. The well is going to run dry if they can't get new characters/actors in the modern films that stick.

I'm kind of interested to see what Marvel ends up doing... do they really do what their comics have never been truly able to do and move on to other superheroes, shelving the originals or replacing them with new characters as the original actors move on or do they continually reboot like always?
Old 12-29-20, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's just going back to the well again. The well is going to run dry if they can't get new characters/actors in the modern films that stick.

I'm kind of interested to see what Marvel ends up doing... do they really do what their comics have never been truly able to do and move on to other superheroes, shelving the originals or replacing them with new characters as the original actors move on or do they continually reboot like always?
In the MCU they recast the roles of Edward Norton, Terrence Howard and Josh Dallas and for the most part nobody cared or in the case of Dallas/Levi even recognized it, but those where the early days of the MCU. Casting Jon Hamm as Tony Stark would be a more tougher sale.

In the DCEU the actors aren't so closely connected to the characters, yet. Sure Gal Gadot ist Wonder Woman, Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn and finding a new Aquaman wouldn't be easy, but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a big out cry if Flash, Cyborg or even Superman were to be recast.
If it was up to me I would scratch the DCEU all together and just produce stand alone movies or franchises in the vain of the Dark Knight trilogy. If you want to expand from there and get a Nightwing going, be my guest.
Old 12-29-20, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

As far as i see it, the DC cinematic universe no longer exists. Warners have burned too many bridges and destroyed too much good will. They keep trying to force it by throwing everything and the kitchen sink to see whst sticks, when a better way would be to slow down, construct and actual plan and take their time on constructing it with a concentration on great stories/scripts.

As for mulitiverses, i dont mind the concept, but for movies they should use this avenue when all original actors have had their day in the sun and you want to introduce new nlood to take over the reigns of their characters. Even then i think its a one time thing, so best using it wisely. Matvel is obviously going to use it to introduce mutants, which i have no problem with.
Old 12-29-20, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

If DC was going to build a proper universe, it should have started with a young Bruce Wayne/Batman. Keep in mind I liked Affleck in the role, but Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are the cornerstones of the Justice League (along with GL). They did two out of three right by giving them origin stories and starting at the beginning. i know no one is clamoring for another Thomas and Martha on screen death, but all these characters should have had the same starting point and they could have built on that.
Old 12-29-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Fans will throw up if we see another origin story for Superman.
Old 12-29-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Fans will throw up if we see another origin story for Superman.
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely nailed the origin story in the first page of their All Star Superman comic series:

Great way to do the "origin" story we've seen a thousand times, fast and dirty. One page, four panels, eight words, and then we're off to the main story.

Hollywood could learn a thing or two here.

Old 12-29-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
If DC was going to build a proper universe, it should have started with a young Bruce Wayne/Batman. Keep in mind I liked Affleck in the role, but Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are the cornerstones of the Justice League (along with GL). They did two out of three right by giving them origin stories and starting at the beginning. i know no one is clamoring for another Thomas and Martha on screen death, but all these characters should have had the same starting point and they could have built on that.
Agreed. While I love Affleck in the role, DCCU fucked up when they made batman old. It left them with nowhere to go but another reboot with pattison and not growing with the other characters.

Just with Robin and Batgirl alone Batman could have his own cinematic universe. But no. Just keep rebooting him.
Old 12-29-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah whoever thought introducing Batman Returns Batman into a unified cinematic universe is crazy. Almost as crazy as killing Superman with Doomsday right before you introduce the Justice League.
Old 12-30-20, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah whoever thought introducing Batman Returns Batman into a unified cinematic universe is crazy. Almost as crazy as killing Superman with Doomsday right before you introduce the Justice League.
Right.
A Dark Knight Returns movie or trilogy would have been a really good idea after the collapse of the Justice League. Batman on his own again trying to make a difference while being old and jaded.
Old 12-30-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/12/ray-fis...er-1234662910/

Ray Fisher talking shit again. Ripping DC Films president Walter Hamada.

“Walter Hamada is the most dangerous kind of enabler. He lies, and WB PR’s failed Sept. 4th hit-piece, sought to undermine the very real issues of the Justice League investigation. I will not participate in any production associated with him. A>E.”

Old 12-30-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Great way to do the "origin" story we've seen a thousand times, fast and dirty. One page, four panels, eight words, and then we're off to the main story.

Hollywood could learn a thing or two here.
That's what Marvel did in the movies with The Incredible Hulk. Universal's Hulk with Eric Bana five years earlier showed the origin and while The Incredible Hulk isn't the sequel, it kind of felt that way, since they showed a short version of Hulk's origins during the opening sequence. I really liked that. The major character's had been established and Banner was on the run. No lengthy introduction, no gamma ray accident, just the setup and the movie started.

Sony "gave" us three Spider-Man origins in 15 years. I get it, he's bitten by a radioactive Spider.

----------------------

Regarding Ray Fisher. Kudos for not shuting up, but I'm pretty sure he must be content with being a theatre actor. I don't see him being a successful Hollywood actor in the future.
Old 12-30-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It's definitely an interesting way to say "I quit".
Old 12-30-20, 03:56 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

What is "A>E"?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.