Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Looks like its a go:

Harley Quinn SUICIDE SQUAD Spin-Off Moving Forward At Warner Bros.; Margot Robbie Will Executive Produce

Margot Robbie has signed a first-look deal with Warner Bros. to develop and produce feature films through her LuckyChap Entertainment banner. The Aussie actress already has two projects lined up: the upcoming neo noir thriller, Terminal, and the Suicide Squad spin-off that'll focus on her character, Harley Quinn.

The studio was apparently keen for Robbie to lay down roots with them, as they see her as one of the major factors in David Ayer's supervillain ensemble going on to gross over $700 million. Many fans would agree.

No new details on the Harley Quinn movie are provided in the report, but THR does confirm that "other DC heroines" will feature.
Old 09-15-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm kind of interested depending on who's in it. I honestly don't find just Harley that interesting if she's the main character though. Really hoping we see a Batgirl appearance.
Old 09-15-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Harley, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Batgirl... Be cool if it was sort of a Gotham City Sirens kind of thing.

Huntress? Black Canary? Zatanna?
Old 09-15-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm okay with Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman. The others you mentioned would be cool to see eventually too but that's just the sort of thing these films have done so far is try and introduce too much at once.

Honestly one of the issues I have is that I don't know why there needs to be so many films featuring Harley. She's already in Suicide Squad and will be in the sequels more than likely. I'm sure if a solo Batman film features The Joker she'll be there too. Then there's whatever her solo film is going to be. I get that she's popular but she's not that great of a character that she needs all this attention focused on her in my opinion.
Old 09-15-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

There's room there to explore her relationship with and eventual freedom from the Joker, but at this rate would Leto even reprise the role?
Old 09-15-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leto not reprising the role would be fantastic. Fuck methhead gangster Joker.
Old 09-15-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Regarding Robbie's Harley Quinn and Leto's Joker, I'd think it all comes down to what they're under contract for.

They might have Robbie down for a certain number of films, either X Suicide Squad films and Y Harley solo films, or Z number of films total. I am unsure how they would handle cameos, like if Harley were to appear in one scene in a Batman movie, whether that would count against her total.

If they have Leto contracted for three or six movies, or whatever, then I doubt he could just walk away from the part.

The DCEU seems to enjoy throwing characters into cameo parts into their movies; seems like it could be a logistical/contractual problem for A- and B-list talent. Also why it wouldn't surprise me to see characters like Zatanna show up in a Harley movie, even if only for a single scene.
Old 09-15-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also why it wouldn't surprise me to see characters like Zatanna show up in a Harley movie, even if only for a single scene.
Given they seem to want to do a Justice League Dark movie, wouldn't surprise me to see them introduce Zatanna in a Harley spin-off (given I'd think it's on the faster track than JLD).
Old 09-15-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't Justice League Dark basically shelved at the moment? I know at least the Del Toro project is basically dead in the water.
Old 09-15-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Well, Doug Liman is signed on (just recently jumped from Gambit to JLD) so not entirely dead.
Old 09-15-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Justice League Dark has been re-titled to the extremely generic "Dark Universe"
Old 09-15-16, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring on a sexy Ivy.
Old 09-15-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I have a killer idea for a movie starring Timothy Hunter and myself.

If Snyder happens to read this, contact my agent at the Rock of Eternity.
Old 09-24-16, 05:46 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

DC movies are important in that they provide competition to Marvel and ensure they stay on top of their game

the problem is they haven't had any 'knock it out of the park' movies that Marvel have had which have set the foundation
Old 09-24-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree competition is good for business but Marvel hasn't had much of a problem delivering good films with little competition so far. Some have been better than others but they've remained fairly consistent. DC unfortunately has remained consistent only in the opposite direction so far.
Old 09-24-16, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. It's nice to have competition but when the competition can't even be a strong competitor in the long run... it's not great competition.
Old 09-24-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing with movies is i'm not sure superhero movies are really in direct competition with each other anyway... Marvel wants to put out good movies because they've seen good movies deliver a ton of money and if anything, they're competing with all the other summer blockbusters. What DC/WB does isn't really going to affect that - I don't think a great Justice League movie directly hurts the Avengers, or vice versa.
Old 09-24-16, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. It is kind of funny though how some people from the DC side have made digs at Marvel when they've yet to make a film that hasn't split their fanbase or the critics.
Old 09-25-16, 12:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The thing with movies is i'm not sure superhero movies are really in direct competition with each other anyway... Marvel wants to put out good movies because they've seen good movies deliver a ton of money and if anything, they're competing with all the other summer blockbusters. What DC/WB does isn't really going to affect that - I don't think a great Justice League movie directly hurts the Avengers, or vice versa.
I'm not saying It's a literal WB vs. Marvel thing... it's a bit beyond that cuz of the level they're playing at but as just films? You bet your ass that WB wants to be the top dog. WB is competing w/ Marvel. Marvel... is competing against nobody directly... just the system..ie the norm. That's the sad part. WB wants their property to be Marvel. It isn't.
Old 09-30-16, 10:36 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally think DC's problem is that Superman and Batman have just been done to death over the decades

IF you look at Iron Man and Thor, very few people outside of comic fans knew who they were in depth before the movies came out. Everyone can recite the Superman and Batman story

Only now are DC starting to bring lesser known characters to the fore
Old 09-30-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I personally think DC's problem is that Superman and Batman have just been done to death over the decades

IF you look at Iron Man and Thor, very few people outside of comic fans knew who they were in depth before the movies came out. Everyone can recite the Superman and Batman story

Only now are DC starting to bring lesser known characters to the fore
I don't think that's true. ESPECIALLY for Superman. Quest for Peace was 87. the next movie after that is Returns in 2006. The next one after that is Man of Steel in 2013. Those are pretty long gaps between movies.

You had 4 Batman movies between 89-97. Then another 3 between 05-12. Then they bring him back 4 years after.

It's all about making good movies. And hiring the right people to do them. Neither of which DC/WB is doing.
Old 09-30-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman has the broad appeal, Supes I'm not so sure about. Seems like people can take him or leave him. The other characters are question marks at this point.
Old 01-12-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

ANUARY 12, 2017 10:06am PT by Aaron Couch, Borys Kit
'Green Lantern Corps' Movie Writers Set, Key Characters Confirmed

The film will feature popular DC characters Hal Jordan and John Stewart.

David S. Goyer and Justin Rhodes are ready to take the Green Lantern oath.

Warner Bros. has tapped the writers to script Green Lantern Corps, Heat Vision has confirmed.

The film will focus on popular comic book Green Lanterns Hal Jordan (who was played by Ryan Reynolds in the ill-fated 2011 movie) and John Stewart, one of DC's most prominent African-American heroes. The film is being produced by Goyer, with DC's Geoff Johns and Jon Berg exec producing.

Goyer has been a key architect of the DC Extended Universe, with credits including Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice after working on Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. He also served as showrunner on NBC's DC show Constantine.
Old 01-12-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

^ He was great on The Daily Show, I'm sure he'll be just as good as the Green Lantern!
Old 01-12-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So they're still keeping Goyer on board? Good luck with that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.