Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by devilshalo
This makes my head hurt. Maybe WB is looking at Sony instead of Marvel/Disney and said.. "If they can make 3 versions of Spider-man and still make money, so can we...."

I can't see a JL reboot working yet. They've established certain things and can't just ignore others. If anything, they need to go back and find a way to correct the mess without creating 2 universes and I'm not sure how you do that without CoIE being that catalyst. Or they start with a LoSH movie that goes back in time to redo the DCEU. I'm not as familiar with DC comic events that can help to reboot the DCEU in a way that makes sense.
I realize the MCU changed the game but they went through three different Batmans in one series of movies, it's much much easier for them to say "this is the new status quo, here's your new Batman and Superman" instead of needlessly complicating things with a Crisis or the Legion (as much as I love the Legion). Once the new continuity is off the ground, then hey, go buck wild to address the inconsistencies.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-24-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Personally I'd rather see Hailee as Batgirl, but she would be great in any franchise.
I'd prefer to see them straight-up flipped, if they've gotta use those two. Ridley seems much more like a solid Supergirl.

Old 06-28-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

that is great
Old 06-28-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Old 07-24-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Take with a huge grain of salt at this juncture.

EXCLUSIVE: J.J. ABRAMS TAKING ON SUPERMAN AND GREEN LANTERN

While Warner Bros. chose to sit out of Comic-Con, the talk around town in San Diego was all about the DCEU and Crisis On Infinite Earths, and now I have learned that J.J. Abrams will be taking on both Superman and Green Lantern.

My understanding is that a big reason why J.J. Abrams recently signed that mega-deal with Warner Bros. is that he wants to tackle the DC movie characters (Abrams was actually attached to Superman: Flyby years ago) and that he is going to do movies for Superman and Green Lantern first (confirming my speculation from last month).

I've also been told that J.J. Abrams' wife, producer Katie McGrath, was responsible for getting Ann Sarnoff named as the new Chair and CEO of Warner Bros.

That's not all as guess who is best buds with Abrams? Yep. The Batman director Matt Reeves.

So we see how everything adds up.
https://cosmicbook.news/jj-abrams-su...-green-lantern
Old 07-24-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

We need a new rule, no posting from Cosmic Book News
Old 07-24-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

JJ does have a production deal with Warner Bros. But that does not mean he's making Superman. I think that's Cosmic Book news making assumptions. Yeah that site is joke.
Old 10-08-19, 09:28 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Rumor:
A film about Lex Luthor beyond the Superman universe is being considered in the wake of Warner Bros’ blockbuster DC Comics origins movie, Joker.

That’s according to Mikey Sutton – whom CheatSheet notes is “a credible comic book insider with a history of leaking accurate MCU [Marvel Cinematic Universe] and DCEU [DC Extended Universe] news”.

Sutton wrote on his invite-only Facebook page ‘Geekosity: All Things Pop Culture’ that Warner Bros. is considering making a film about Luthor as US president: “No Man of Steel; he’s pure fiction in this alternate universe,” Sutton wrote of the exclusion of Superman in the potential film.

“To WB, this has the potential of being a modern-day Citizen Kane. You see Luthor grow up from being an awkward intellectual kid to corrupt wealthy businessman to president of the United States. Slap on an R rating and leave the comic books behind but perhaps put a twist on the myth such as making Lois Lane his First Lady, but also the reporter who brings him down.”

Luthor has been played by a variety of actors in television series and DC films including Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns (2006) and Jesse Eisenberg in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017).

Elsewhere in the post Sutton said he’d spoken to the people responsibly for green-lighting such productions, who said that Warner Bros. are interested in such a movie – especially in the wake of the R-rated Joker.

As CheatSheet writes further, the DCEU can push out adult-themed R-rated films with heroes and villains unlike Disney who needs to keep Marvel films more family-friendly.

Read more at https://www.nme.com/news/film/lex-lu...Z2e24I0bmiJ.99
Old 10-08-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds promising. I'm not sure I'm down with all these alternate universes though. Just make individual films and if it makes sense in the future, bring them all together for a proper Justice League. (or in Joker's case, Batman flick).
Old 10-08-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Joker kind made sense to get a film because he’s a popular character and even though I don’t necessarily like him having a backstory it’s more interesting to think of how he came to be.

Lex Luthor though I don’t think works as well for his own movie. I mean it can easily be done with a low budget, but I don’t think it would have nearly the same appeal and probably wouldn’t do as well.

I say stay in the Batman universe and do some of his more street level villains. It didn’t work so well the last time, but I think a Selina Kyle/Catwoman film would be a good candidate. Show her as a struggling woman who turns to a life of crime and eventually becomes Catwoman. If Gotham wasn’t so recent you could also do a Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin film that could be interesting.
Old 10-08-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Cast the real Michael Cera this time. That should be an improvement.
Old 10-08-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I say stay in the Batman universe and do some of his more street level villains. It didn’t work so well the last time, but I think a Selina Kyle/Catwoman film would be a good candidate. Show her as a struggling woman who turns to a life of crime and eventually becomes Catwoman. If Gotham wasn’t so recent you could also do a Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin film that could be interesting.
How many times do you want to see a Catwoman or Penguin story tho? You already have most of Batman's rogues gallery represented in various films and tv series. Lex has been President in the comics, hasn't he?
Old 10-08-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

DC still thinking with their ass. One of their main villain movies made money hence lets do another one with the next major villain. Not all characters lend themselves to the same type of treatment.
I'm actually surprise they are not trying to get Todd Philips to develop it, "you made us money, makes us more". There is no thought in surrounding factors, such as actor, social relevance, etc. Copy and paste
Old 10-08-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How many times do you want to see a Catwoman or Penguin story tho? You already have most of Batman's rogues gallery represented in various films and tv series. Lex has been President in the comics, hasn't he?
I’m just saying I think there’s more appeal to those characters. Lex Luthor while known to comic book fans isn’t going to have the wider appeal of someone like the Joker in my opinion. He’s not popular enough on his own to carry a film. To me without Superman to play off of Lex is just kind of a generic, evil business man. It can be done no doubt, I’m just saying I don’t think it will work as well.
Old 10-08-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Shit. If they can make a Black Widow film...they can make a Lex Luthor film. I mean at that point why the fuck not?
Old 10-08-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Why do a combo of both?

Old 10-08-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lex Luthor while known to comic book fans isn’t going to have the wider appeal of someone like the Joker in my opinion. He’s not popular enough on his own to carry a film. To me without Superman to play off of Lex is just kind of a generic, evil business man. It can be done no doubt, I’m just saying I don’t think it will work as well.
You don't think people would want to see a ruthlessly evil businessman rise to power and become President and destroy all that is good in the world? I think that would appeal to, just spitballing here, roughly 35% of the population.
Old 10-08-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You don't think people would want to see a ruthlessly evil businessman rise to power and become President and destroy all that is good in the world? I think that would appeal to, just spitballing here, roughly 35% of the population.
Old 10-08-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

If you've ever read this, you know that they could make one AMAZING Lex Luthor movie.

But hey, let's shit on DC because DC amirite?
Old 10-08-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If you've ever read this, you know that they could make one AMAZING Lex Luthor movie.

But hey, let's shit on DC because DC amirite?
I didn’t shit on it, but let’s keep up with the narrative that I’m a DC hater right? You didn’t single me out but I’m sure I’m who you’re referring to. Even though I’ve said positive things about Shazam, Joker, and Titans recently, but let’s just disregard when I say anything I like with DC because I’m just a hater.

I said I don’t think it’ll have the mass appeal is all. I don’t think I’m wrong.
Old 10-09-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

We don't need a Luthor movie...we're living it right now.
Old 10-09-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t shit on it, but let’s keep up with the narrative that I’m a DC hater right? You didn’t single me out but I’m sure I’m who you’re referring to. Even though I’ve said positive things about Shazam, Joker, and Titans recently, but let’s just disregard when I say anything I like with DC because I’m just a hater.

I said I don’t think it’ll have the mass appeal is all. I don’t think I’m wrong.
I wasn't referring to you (although I do enjoy taking the piss sometimes), but how surface-level fandom tends to shit on DC as a kneejerk reaction to ANY news.
Old 10-09-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
We don't need a Luthor movie...we're living it right now.
Now how do you mean?

Old 10-10-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I remember that Luthor GN
Old 10-10-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I wasn't referring to you (although I do enjoy taking the piss sometimes), but how surface-level fandom tends to shit on DC as a kneejerk reaction to ANY news.
Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.